talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Belgium's Golden Generation

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the best defences in the world among one of the best attacks in the world. 

Lukaku, Hazard, KDB, Mertens, Dembele, etc, all in their prime. I think anything other than a semi-final from them should be seen as a dissappointment. 

Nainggolan is one of the best midfielders in the world imo, very underrated player, yet didn't make the callup. But players like Benteke do. I think Martinez is a genuine moron, personally, who's living off his time at Swansea and his cup win with Wigan (where he also took them down a league, let's not forget).

They've got a lot of great players in their squad. And they should do very well. But I don't think they will, I think they'll be mismanaged and this golden generation will be pissed away.

Great individuals, on paper they would be favourites and yet they have still to prove they can do it as a team. They haven't beaten what I'd call a 'Big Team' in a major competition yet.

From my recollection, they were poor in Brazil but had a piss easy games until they were knocked out by Argentina in Brazil 2014. A resurgent Italy played them off the park in Euro 2016 when it was their group to lose and even then, they fell into one of the easiest routes to a final they could get and still fucked up against Wales.

I will not be convinced until I see them take apart a somebody. And by that I mean a Germany, Spain, Brazil, France etc

On 01/06/2018 at 19:28, Lucas said:

Great individuals, on paper they would be favourites and yet they have still to prove they can do it as a team. They haven't beaten what I'd call a 'Big Team' in a major competition yet.

From my recollection, they were poor in Brazil but had a piss easy games until they were knocked out by Argentina in Brazil 2014. A resurgent Italy played them off the park in Euro 2016 when it was their group to lose and even then, they fell into one of the easiest routes to a final they could get and still fucked up against Wales.

I will not be convinced until I see them take apart a somebody. And by that I mean a Germany, Spain, Brazil, France etc

My take of it is they need to win a trophy to be considered a success, be that the Euro's or the World Cup, but with the strength of Germany, Soain and France I reckon they'll need a degree of fortune for that to happen.

On 6/1/2018 at 12:55, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nainggolan is one of the best midfielders in the world imo, very underrated player, yet didn't make the callup. But players like Benteke do. I think Martinez is a genuine moron, personally, who's living off his time at Swansea and his cup win with Wigan (where he also took them down a league, let's not forget).

They've got a lot of great players in their squad. And they should do very well. But I don't think they will, I think they'll be mismanaged and this golden generation will be pissed away.

Nainnggolan isn't the squad because he showed up for training late several times and continued smoking despite being warned not to. 

Is isn't simply plug-n-play, there is a power dynamic and a structure. If Nainnggoaln doesn't do what the coach says, why does anyone?

It's clearly not impacting how he's performing on the pitch. Martinez just wants to stamp his authority for whatever reason, but I doubt it's for a good reason. Because I don't think he's even close to being a good manager. One of the biggest frauds in football.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Imagine if France told Zidane to fuck off for smoking.

That was also 20 years ago with different cultural attitutdes to smoking...and comparing Zidane and Nainggolan is a differetn world.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's clearly not impacting how he's performing on the pitch. Martinez just wants to stamp his authority for whatever reason, but I doubt it's for a good reason. Because I don't think he's even close to being a good manager. One of the biggest frauds in football.

But you are okay with consistently showing up late for training? Say what you want about Martinez but Nainngolan would be at the WORLD CUP if he weren't a stubborn mule.

• Subscriber

I don't rate Martinez as a manager but I think there's merit in him refusing to take a player to the World Cup on those grounds. Even if it's not the club manager, Martinez is the Belgium manager and if Nainggolan can't meet the managers requirements then it's his fault he's not going to the World Cup.

Put it this way, if Martinez insisted that Nainggolan can't be part of the squad if he doesn't stop smoking and get on board, and then takes him anyway when that doesn't happen, he'd be a much worse manager.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

England hasn't had asquad with half this much tallent in a long time.

We've had some excellent players in that time period I mentioned. You can argue the toss on them but I don't think it's daft to compare the two. 

10 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

England hasn't had asquad with half this much tallent in a long time.

Robinson

Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole

Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, J Cole

Rooney, Owen

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Robinson

Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole

Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, J Cole

Rooney, Owen

Mediocre goalie, good defense. 2 perenial under achievers in a national shirt that go together like Israel and Palestine, a shitcunt ogre forward and a bag of broken bones and unfufilled promises. Oh, and Joe fucking Cole.

You're off your head

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Mediocre goalie, good defense. 2 perenial under achievers in a national shirt that go together like Israel and Palestine, a shitcunt ogre forward and a bag of broken bones and unfufilled promises. Oh, and Joe fucking Cole.

You're off your head

World class in 10 out of 11 positions. 

It's not ridiculous to compare the two at all. Both hugely talented teams on paper. England failed to click and make is past a quarter final with their 'golden generation'. Belgium have so far have done the same. 

6 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You're off your head

The fuck is wrong with Joe Cole? Won us the league that year 

Archived