talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thibaut Courtois - Life at Real Madrid

6 minutes ago, Batard said:

Chelsea ought to take a punt on Pickford. 

Teams would be daft to buy any England World Cup players this summer. English players are vastly overpriced as it is and a World Cup Semi-Final appearance to boot will just make teams request even more ridiculous fees than normal. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
34 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Wouldn't be a punt but not happening anyway as we'll demand an utterly retarded fee if anyone wants him this summer.

Agreed but long term a very solid investment. Even if it was £60m+

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Don't know what to make of Courtois. His Chelsea form makes him look pretty dispensable but he was very impressive at the World Cup.

He seems to play well when motivated.  I expect if he does end up at Madrid he will regain his old form.

By the way €35m if true is a steal.

On 15/07/2018 at 20:24, Smiley Culture said:

Teams would be daft to buy any England World Cup players this summer. English players are vastly overpriced as it is and a World Cup Semi-Final appearance to boot will just make teams request even more ridiculous fees than normal. 

I'd frankly think the attacking players from the squad could be put up for a fire sale....

1 hour ago, Redcanuck said:

He seems to play well when motivated.  I expect if he does end up at Madrid he will regain his old form.

Only one year older than Alisson for a third of the price.... wow

1 hour ago, Redcanuck said:

Only one year older than Alisson for a third of the price.... wow.

Perfect example of how much the asking price inflates for flavor of the month players with EPL club sniffing about...

35 mill is not much for a keeper like him, however with only a year left it is probably the best we can get. Sky linked us with the return of Cech, and a potential deal with Schmeichel. Someone above mentioned Cech would be second pick, doubt it as we still have Caballero.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

the pr1ck should just move his damn family to London... 😈

His family don't want to move to London thought mate.

There's another keeper in the Premier League that's had this dilemma also which is De Gea.

I'm a bit baffled by this. Over the last five seasons youd have to say he is a World Class Goalkeeper, but why would you go for Courtois when you could get De Gea?

Courtois form seems to fluctuate with Chelsea's. In the last year his fundamental weaknesses have been exposed. De Gea on than other hand has won Player of The Year four of the last five years at Manchester United. Whilst they have not been competing for major honours that is some achievement

I guess Courtois would be easier to attract and cheaper, but Real Madrid historically in my lifetime have gone for the best. This isn't one of them transfers

4 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'm a bit baffled by this. Over the last five seasons youd have to say he is a World Class Goalkeeper, but why would you go for Courtois when you could get De Gea?

Courtois form seems to fluctuate with Chelsea's. In the last year his fundamental weaknesses have been exposed. De Gea on than other hand has won Player of The Year four of the last five years at Manchester United. Whilst they have not been competing for major honours that is some achievement

I guess Courtois would be easier to attract and cheaper, but Real Madrid historically in my lifetime have gone for the best. This isn't one of them transfers

As we all know David de Gea could've been a Real Madrid player a few years back had it not been for a hilarious incident regarding the confusion on how to use a fax machine.  Keylor Navas was waiting in Madrid's central airport for a flight to Manchester when in the last remaining seconds of that transfer window it all went pear shaped.

Since then De Gea has come to the understanding and belief that the best place for him is to be where he's an ultimate idol which is at Manchester United.  We're not just talking about a transfer fee with De Gea now, but also convincing him that this would be the right move for him.

Thibaut Courtois on the other hand has maintained throughout his Chelsea return from his long loan spell at Atlético Madrid that he wants to play and live in Madrid.  His wife is from Madrid and his children were born there... Courtois has even gone into say that he feels more Spanish than Belgian which kind of tells us the extremities he has been living in his head and also possibly gives us an inkling as to explaining his form fluctuation at certain moments.  When he first moved to Chelsea I remember a radio interview with him in Spain where he was so distraught that he even went onto say that he'd be willing to play in Spain's second division so as to have the possibility to stay in Spain.

A summary... It's a much easier move for Real Madrid to sign Courtois who is a recognised top top keeper due to his out and out wish to return to La Liga.

He's unfollowed us on social media accounts now. xD

Such a poor lad. Really was a prisoner here being paid millions  whilst still keeping his #1 spot despite the embarrassing displays he's dished out this season. 

47 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He's unfollowed us on social media accounts now. xD

Such a poor lad. Really was a prisoner here being paid millions  whilst still keeping his #1 spot despite the embarrassing displays he's dished out this season. 

He's maintained the same stance ever since he joined us mate, whilst I understand this view and I agree with you to some extent, it can't be easy being away from your kids for so long, no matter the circumstances. I don't think he should have been as vocal as he has been over the years but he's just being honest. The club would have known his preferences as well.

I think the bigger issue for me is his loyalties to Atlético and the consequences moving to Real Madrid would have there in that relationship. 

And Barcelona aside, what are the other displays by the way?

8 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

He's maintained the same stance ever since he joined us mate, whilst I understand this view and I agree with you to some extent, it can't be easy being away from your kids for so long, no matter the circumstances. I don't think he should have been as vocal as he has been over the years but he's just being honest. The club would have known his preferences as well.

I think the bigger issue for me is his loyalties to Atlético and the consequences moving to Real Madrid would have there in that relationship. 

Somewhere between March and April. Watford away, Bournemouth at home,  United away. Those games in particular it felt like no matter the shot, it went in. 

All at the same time continuing to flirt with Madrid. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Somewhere between March and April. Watford away, Bournemouth at home,  United away. Those games in particular it felt like no matter the shot, it went in. 

All at the same time continuing to flirt with Madrid. 

For the most part (even last season) he's been very good though for us and it's going to be difficult to replace him. For me there's a group of keepers (a fair few of them mind) in the top bracket and Courtois is one of them and for me it's very difficult to separate keepers in that league and say which one is the best. Keepers are also very highly scrutinized and a couple of mistakes particularly on the biggest stage can see people's opinions of you drop very quickly. Remarkable how true this is for goalkeepers these days.

Cech at his peak was better but Courtois' performances for us have been for the most part of the highest level. What should be in Chelsea fans' minds is very recent times, the FA Cup final and the World Cup just gone, to serve as a reminder of how good Courtois is. For me you can see the difference when Caballero is in goal for us.

5 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

For the most part (even last season) he's been very good though for us and it's going to be difficult to replace him. For me there's a group of keepers (a fair few of them mind) in the top bracket and Courtois is one of them and for me it's very difficult to separate keepers in that league and say which one is the best. Keepers are also very highly scrutinized and a couple of mistakes particularly on the biggest stage can see people's opinions of you drop very quickly. Remarkable how true this is for goalkeepers these days.

Cech at his peak was better but Courtois' performances for us have been for the most part of the highest level. What should be in Chelsea fans' minds is very recent times, the FA Cup final and the World Cup just gone, to serve as a reminder of how good Courtois is. For me you can see the difference when Caballero is in goal for us.

I disagree. You just have to look at Ederson. A GK who works and fits into a style and system. 

5 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

I didn't realise it was kids with his ex-girlfriend. That means there's no way she'd move to London and the only way he can see his kids more is to move to madrid.

Fair enough imo. What's a guy to do?

I'd be a mess in that same situation. 

19 hours ago, Harry said:

I didn't realise it was kids with his ex-girlfriend. That means there's no way she'd move to London and the only way he can see his kids more is to move to madrid.

Fair enough imo. What's a guy to do?

I'd be a mess in that same situation. 

Exactly mate.

As I said above, I think he's a bit too vocal about his preferences at times and sometimes the timing of some of his comments over the years have been poor but at least we know where he stands. If he wasn't performing on the pitch I could understand the criticism he's getting but for the majority of his Chelsea career so far he's been very good. With any goalkeeper at the top clubs, you could point to games or small periods where they didn't play well or where they made mistakes. 

@Cicero does make a good point though about our new style of play being a factor in finding a replacement. If at all we need to do that.

The amount of shit Wenger got last summer for not getting Sanchez and Ozil to sign new contracts the summer before and now it looks like Chelsea are about to do the same thing with Hazard and have done the same thing with Courtois.

Chelsea will not resume talks with Real Madrid over a deal for goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois until they find a suitable replacement.

Real Madrid value Courtois at around £32m as he is out of contract next summer. 

Personal terms are not expected to be a problem but Courtois will start the season at Stamford Bridge if no successor is bought by Chelsea.

Should that happen, unless the Belgium keeper signs a new contract, he would be able to leave for free next summer.

9 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Chelsea will not resume talks with Real Madrid over a deal for goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois until they find a suitable replacement.

We quite literally had all summer to do that. Why is it that Arsenal and Liverpool found no issue?

• The title was changed to Thibaut Courtois - Chelsea Keeper Misses Training

Archived