talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thibaut Courtois - Life at Real Madrid

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I personally understand why he would want to leave given it's the only way he would see his child regularly. Sometimes there's things in life more important than your occupation. The fact he lives where the most successful and decorated team in the world play is a very fortunate bonus.

Unfortunately for him though he's signed a contract, and behaving like he is isn't going to benefit his situation. 

I must say Chelsea have been very naive in their approach to this window. They haven't appeared to consider targets for players they may lose due to ridiculous offers (Willian) or a Costa type scenario (Courtios). Youd think after years of operating as a top club they would have learned.

Romans accounts had been frozen by the US haven't they? Since crimea...   i thought

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, 6666 said:

You don't seem to know that contracts are agreements... and while contracts are still in place, both the player and the club are supposed to do what they agreed to.

If a player under contract leaves then the club does get paid but there's still protocol that's supposed to be followed for that move to happen. Acting like a bitch and not showing up while still under contract isn't one of these protocols... Then of course there's just basic human decency.

I don't know in what world Courtois isn't being a massive cunt here.

I know what a contract is mate. I think we have had this conversation before so we probably won't agree because it depends what principle you have.  For me a football is a brutal business with very little loyalty.  A club won't think twice about fucking you over. So I don't really expect loyalty back 

18 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I know what a contract is mate. I think we have had this conversation before so we probably won't agree because it depends what principle you have.  For me a football is a brutal business with very little loyalty. A club won't think twice about fucking you over. So I don't really expect loyalty back 

Can't really think of an equivalent move from a club that's comparable to a player not showing up. Especially when we're pretty much talking about a breach of contract. We're not even talking about the sentimental nature of loyalty here and we're not talking about him loving or not loving Chelsea. We're talking about him basically running away from an agreement because he regrets it and he's too cowardly to deal with the circumstances. It's not really comparable to "I'm being wronged because I'm not playing, I think I'm a victim".

26 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Can't really think of an equivalent move from a club that's comparable to a player not showing up. Especially when we're pretty much talking about a breach of contract. We're not even talking about the sentimental nature of loyalty here and we're not talking about him loving or not loving Chelsea. We're talking about him basically running away from an agreement because he regrets it and he's too cowardly to deal with the circumstances. It's not really comparable to "I'm being wronged because I'm not playing, I think I'm a victim".

Well when a club gets promoted a lot of the squad who worked very hard to get there won't play because the club will get bettter players. Players have contracts but if they are not playing then they are being forced out.  It's just the cut throat nature of football and so I can understand a player trying to force a move. I don't think we will agree on this to be honest though mate we  will both just look at the same situation and come to a different conclusion.

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well when a club gets promoted a lot of the squad who worked very hard to get there won't play because the club will get bettter players. Players have contracts but if they are not playing then they are being forced out.  It's just the cut throat nature of football and so I can understand a player trying to force a move. I don't think we will agree on this to be honest though mate we  will both just look at the same situation and come to a different conclusion.

We'll look at it differently but you're wrong and that really isn't a matter of opinion. Not playing because the manager chooses to go with different options isn't a breach of contract and neither is it unethical. It also has nothing to do with this situation. Clubs wanting to sell players is on the same level as a player wanting to leave a club but how you go about making that happen is what decides if you're doing things in a correct manner or not.

And the agreement isn't one where the player is paying the club so he can choose when he gets to play or not, it's the other way round. Of course a player that isn't playing can feel upset or frustrated but even then they're not really being wronged. In this situation though, he is playing and he can't really blame Chelsea for any frustration he's feeling. He can only blame himself for signing a longer contract than he's mentally capable of fulfilling.

• The title was changed to Thibaut Courtois - Chelsea Keeper Misses Training
2 hours ago, 6666 said:

We'll look at it differently but you're wrong and that really isn't a matter of opinion. Not playing because the manager chooses to go with different options isn't a breach of contract and neither is it unethical. It also has nothing to do with this situation. Clubs wanting to sell players is on the same level as a player wanting to leave a club but how you go about making that happen is what decides if you're doing things in a correct manner or not.

And the agreement isn't one where the player is paying the club so he can choose when he gets to play or not, it's the other way round. Of course a player that isn't playing can feel upset or frustrated but even then they're not really being wronged. In this situation though, he is playing and he can't really blame Chelsea for any frustration he's feeling. He can only blame himself for signing a longer contract than he's mentally capable of fulfilling.

"We'll disagree but you're wrong" that's typical of you. You really are the most self opinionated poster on the forum.

30 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

"We'll disagree but you're wrong" that's typical of you. You really are the most self opinionated poster on the forum.

You're wrong. Not because I'm saying it but because clubs do get to pick and choose when players play which is why they're the ones paying the player so it's not a case of the club breaking an agreement. That isn't an opinion. That's a fact. To say that's in any way comparable to a player not showing up doesn't make any sort of sense.

"You're saying the Earth is round but I'm going to challenge what you're saying because I think it's flat" doesn't come under "it's just my opinion and it's as valid as yours". 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Actually I think 6666 summed it up fairly well in his post... 

He is currently contracted to us, a contract he agreed to and was willing to sign, by all accounts the club have tried to get him to sign another but clearly he has been unwilling to commit to that, That's fair enough, if he feels he would like to move on for personal or professional reasons that is up to him, no player can be forced to sign or extend a contract they don't wish to. 

The club should have been aware that it was going to be hard to pin him down while he had aspirations to move on and should have been making plans to replace him in the event an offer came in or the circumstances were right to allow him to leave early but clearly that has not happened and the club have had all summer to prepare for it. If however he was leading them to believe that he may consider staying on and then only changed his mind while away at the world cup then this obviously complicates matters.. No face to face conversations taking place but a lot of agent chatter I suspect.. 

There may be a barrow load of other complications as well like was the offer acceptable to the club?, were the club looking to do a swap deal? Just because a player is running out his contract does not mean they have the upper hand in the situation and we have to offload him for a less than reasonable fee, better for all parties if it can all be dealt with smoothly but it has to be a workable situation for all, nobody wins with this type of situation going on do they?? 

I understand he has been fined 2 weeks wages as a result of not turning up for training and no matter what the circumstances are or how unhappy that your move has not come about you can't just say 'fuck it' and not turn up trying to force a move out of them... it would just show a serious lack of maturity on his part and if that is what he is doing in all of this then we are better shot of him... Even if he came back it would be begrudgingly and his commitment would be in question.. 

At the end of the day he is contracted to play for us for which he receives a fairly decent wage so he needs to stop sulking and get over it and get his arse in gear... he can do what the hell he likes as a free agent next summer unless a move can be sorted in January.. 

18 minutes ago, 6666 said:

You're wrong. Not because I'm saying it but because clubs do get to pick and choose when players play which is why they're the ones paying the player so it's not a case of the club breaking an agreement. That isn't an opinion. That's a fact. To say that's in any way comparable to a player not showing up doesn't make any sort of sense.

"You're saying the Earth is round but I'm going to challenge what you're saying because I think it's flat" doesn't come under "it's just my opinion and it's as valid as yours". 

I think your missing the point. Although what the clubs do is perfectly within the rules football is a cut throught ruthless business with very little loyalty.In that kind of business I don't have an issue with what he is doing. Footballer only have a short playing career. If I was a footballer and I wasn't playing and wanted a move I would try to force it. Football clubs are ruthless and unloyal that's just the way it is so  I dont expect loyalty from footballers.

14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think your missing the point. Although what the clubs do is perfectly within the rules football is a cut throught ruthless business with very little loyalty.In that kind of business I don't have an issue with what he is doing. Footballer only have a short playing career. If I was a footballer and I wasn't playing and wanted a move I would try to force it. Football clubs are ruthless and unloyal that's just the way it is so  I dont expect loyalty from footballers.

You say if you weren't playing you'd force it. What if you were a well paid key member of the side, would you still force it? Would you not show up to work to force it? Both the club and the player have rights and obligations under their contract. He might want to force a move, but the way he's gone about it is all wrong in my eyes - he's not handing in a transfer request for the loyalty clause, but he desperately wants a move to be with his kids to the point where he's willing to skip work. Missing training & refusing to play is inexcusable imo - I know it's worked for many players, but it's just unprofessional. He's got a valid reason to want to move... but he should go about it like a professional.

• Subscriber

I dont get how theres any grey area here. A contract in general states that the club pays the player and the player works for the club, that includes playing games and turning up to training and fulfilling media duties if you're in the Premier League. Some contracts are more complex, might have assurances about playing time and stuff but that's what it basically boils down to.

When a player isn't getting games, they still get paid their basic wage. That is the clubs contractual obligation to the player. When the player wants to move to another club but is still contracted to their current club, their contractual obligation is to turn up to training and play matches if they are required to do so, up until the date the contract they signed expires.

I have sympathy for the guy if he really wants to be closer to his kids. But he sort of makes a huge joke of it when he, along with other players and agents, won't even hand in an official transfer request and waive his right to a loyalty bonus. Can't be that arsed about his kids then can he? And it's also retarded anyway, does he expect Chelsea to be more accommodating to do something he wants that they don't when he refuses to turn up to training, fails to give them enough notice that he definitely wants to leave by handing in a formal transfer request and instead gives them less than a week to sign a replacement before he goes?

He is a twat.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You say if you weren't playing you'd force it. What if you were a well paid key member of the side, would you still force it? Would you not show up to work to force it? Both the club and the player have rights and obligations under their contract. He might want to force a move, but the way he's gone about it is all wrong in my eyes - he's not handing in a transfer request for the loyalty clause, but he desperately wants a move to be with his kids to the point where he's willing to skip work. Missing training & refusing to play is inexcusable imo - I know it's worked for many players, but it's just unprofessional. He's got a valid reason to want to move... but he should go about it like a professional.

I don't quite know how Courtois has gone about it but if I wanted to go I would put in a transfer request. If they said no I would try to force a move. I wouldn't be concerned about a loyalty bonus. If I lost it but got a move that wouldn't concern me. Like I said i don't think there is much lotalty in football and I don't think clubs are loyal. So I don't have issue with players trying to force moves. It's not loyal, probably not right but clubs aren't loyal so fuck it. 

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't quite know how Courtois has gone about it but if I wanted to go I would put in a transfer request. If they said no I would try to force a move. I wouldn't be concerned about a loyalty bonus. If I lost it but got a move that wouldn't concern me. Like I said i don't think there is much lotalty in football and I don't think clubs are loyal. So I don't have issue with players trying to force moves. It's not loyal, probably not right but clubs aren't loyal so fuck it. 

Fair enough - I don't fully agree, obviously, but I think you make a good point. If I were in a similar situation and I put a transfer request in and they rejected it... and I told them "but I want to live in the same fucking city as my kid, you heartless bastards" I don't know what I'd really do. I think at that point, yeah I might refuse to turn up to force my move... but I probably wouldn't do that if I couldn't think of anything else to do. But having said that, I really have no idea what else you'd do in that situation. But as far as I know, Courtois has just been adamant about getting a move to Madrid... but does not want to put the transfer request in. And I can't imagine why he wouldn't do that other than getting that loyalty bonus - which I think in his shoes, he shouldn't give a fuck about.

And I know it was a World Cup year & he's been pretty vocal about wanting out... but he's had all summer to instruct his agent to get him the fuck out of Chelsea. He's paying to have his interests represented while he does things like play in the World Cup or takes his holidays. I don't even like Chelsea, but I think what he's done is pretty shite for them. Especially as it's not that long before the season kicks off. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Fair enough - I don't fully agree, obviously, but I think you make a good point. If I were in a similar situation and I put a transfer request in and they rejected it... and I told them "but I want to live in the same fucking city as my kid, you heartless bastards" I don't know what I'd really do. I think at that point, yeah I might refuse to turn up to force my move... but I probably wouldn't do that if I couldn't think of anything else to do. But having said that, I really have no idea what else you'd do in that situation. But as far as I know, Courtois has just been adamant about getting a move to Madrid... but does not want to put the transfer request in. And I can't imagine why he wouldn't do that other than getting that loyalty bonus - which I think in his shoes, he shouldn't give a fuck about.

And I know it was a World Cup year & he's been pretty vocal about wanting out... but he's had all summer to instruct his agent to get him the fuck out of Chelsea. He's paying to have his interests represented while he does things like play in the World Cup or takes his holidays. I don't even like Chelsea, but I think what he's done is pretty shite for them. Especially as it's not that long before the season kicks off. 

I didn't quite know all the facts to be honest. I didn't realise he hasn't handed in a transfer request

7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I didn't quite know all the facts to be honest. I didn't realise he hasn't handed in a transfer request

If he has handed in a transfer request, I sympathise with him a bit. But I'm fairly certain he hasn't. @Cicero, @Bluewolf, @carefreeluke, @True Blue - has he? You'd know better than us.

Also, sidenote - look at us expressing different viewpoints without being dickheads to each other! I believe that's called maturity.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

If he has handed in a transfer request, I sympathise with him a bit. But I'm fairly certain he hasn't. @Cicero, @Bluewolf, @carefreeluke, @True Blue - has he? You'd know better than us.

Also, sidenote - look at us expressing different viewpoints without being dickheads to each other! I believe that's called maturity.

Most aren't to bad. But there are certain members who insist on insulting anyone who disagrees with them on anything. No names🤔

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

As far as I am aware no transfer request has been handed in... 

Just for the record this was what he was saying just after our cup win against United at the end of the season... 

Following the win over United, Courtois urged the Blues board to invest in the squad. "We'll see after the World Cup whether I am a Chelsea player for next year," he said at the time. "You see how Manchester City and Manchester United are spending and working. "If we want to aim for the top, we should do the same - obviously within the limits of what's possible."

It does not sound as though he wanted to be out for sure only that it may be a possibility... 

And then this is where we are currently... 

Belgian journalist Kristof Terreur

"Chelsea are searching for a solution for this situation because they have already known for a while, since January when Courtois rejected a new contract offer, that he wasn't going to sign a new deal.

"They know his personal situation with his kids living with his former partner in Madrid, him wanting to be closer to them and pursuing a challenge in Madrid too.

"His mind has never left Madrid after he spent three years on loan over there (at Atletico). Still he dreams of Madrid and that's what Chelsea know too.

"Chelsea have told Real Madrid that until they have found a replacement they cannot give the move a green light.

"It might end up on Thursday at four o'clock that they suddenly find a new goalkeeper.

"I don't think the club can take a gamble on letting him go for free next summer. Now they will get £30-£40m for him and they can still buy a good replacement."

12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I would too mate and to be fair I've defended Courtois until his actions this week. It is true though that a good majority of Chelsea fans have never taken fully to Courtois in his time here which is down to a mixture of reasons. Firstly the fact that he replaced Cech, whether that was right from a footballing point of view is up to debate (I personally believed it was but others would disagree), so there's that factor but also the fact that Chelsea fans had and still have a big emotional connection with Cech because of his history with the club. Courtois had to come in and build his own connection, so replacing Cech was never an easy thing to do and many Chelsea fans sympathized with Cech's treatment regardless of whether they thought it made sense from a footballing perspective. The same happened with Cudicini and Cech not long ago before as well and whilst that made more sense from footballing point of view, Chelsea fans understandably again sympathized heavily with Cudicini's treatment. It's like a new guy that nobody knows, replacing the much loved popular bloke at work.

The second factor is that over the years some think Courtois' performances haven't always been up to the level required and hence some fans have something against him in this area. I for one disagree completely with this but it again adds to this slightly concealed resentment that Chelsea fans have had against him.

Lastly and the most important factor which perhaps has acted as a catalyst for factor number two is his persistent talking to the media over the years about missing Spain and wanting to return. As I've mentioned I've personally had no problem with this, I actually admire his honesty but I believe he could have been a bit wiser in handling this situation. Regardless of my opinion, you could imagine why his comments over the years would rub a club's fan base up the wrong way, and some of his comments over the years have been badly timed, for example when the club were experiencing a bad period of form which would increase the fan's frustrations even more.

Despite this, Courtois has been treated well by the fans and they have had a lot of love for him over the years, his name has been sung on numerous occasions. Undeniably though there has been an underlying resentment towards him over the years which has come to the surface down and then but which has finally built up and been fully unleashed this week given the recent events.

There is no doubt though that the board play a big part as well in this mess.

Archived