• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
Danny

National Anthem

Recommended Posts

If you could change GSTQ to an actual decent national anthem what would you change it to?

For England obviously admin Wales and Scotland are already sorted.

I'd lean towards one of:

Vindaloo (England national team only)

Wonderwall/Don't Look Back In Anger

Angels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GSTQ is the worst national anthem in the world. 

Land of hope and glory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Marc said:

GSTQ is the worst national anthem in the world. 

Land of hope and glory?

I'd prefer it over GSTQ.

Jerusalem and Rule Brittania are both shit and for nonces 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 You poms have a great anthem. Fuk sake you guys whinge about everything!

Listen to advance Australia Fair and then talk to me about shitty anthems. 

Yours is iconic like the French, Italian American and Brazilian....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harry said:

 You poms have a great anthem. Fuk sake you guys whinge about everything!

Listen to advance Australia Fair and then talk to me about shitty anthems. 

Yours is iconic like the French, Italian American and Brazilian....

Iconically shit and half the country doesn't like the monarchy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderwall and Angels xDxDxD 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Danny said:

Iconically shit and half the country doesn't like the monarchy.

Be proud of your history. Its the envy of most of the world.  You guys conquerred most of that world in the name of your queen. Now you don't even feel like singing to save her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angels by Robbie Williams? hahah love it

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Be proud of your history. Its the envy of most of the world.  You guys conquerred most of that world in the name of your queen. Now you don't even feel like singing to save her. 

Colonialism isn't something to be proud of mate 😂

Just now, Marc said:

Angels by Robbie Williams? hahah love it

It's a cracker, everyone would belt that out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Danny said:

Colonialism isn't something to be proud of mate 😂

It's 90% of what you are and the reason your not a third world country today. Embrace it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harry said:

It's 90% of what you are and the reason your not a third world country today. Embrace it. 

I don't sit at home feeling guilty about it but it's a weird obsession to have feeling proud of colonialism 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

I don't sit at home feeling guilty about it but it's a weird obsession to have feeling proud of colonialism 

I wouldn't call it a weird obsession to simply not buy into the narrative that you should be ashamed of what made you who you are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harry said:

I wouldn't call it a weird obsession to simply not buy into the narrative that you should be ashamed of what made you who you are. 

No you take the good with the bad and a balanced view, you've only got to look at the slaughter of people that British colonialism caused in your own country. As a country that should be something that we look back on in shame, much like the Germans do over the Nazi's. But it's a lot more acceptable to feel shame over killing white Europeans than Asians/Africans/American etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Stan said:

Wonderwall and Angels xDxDxD 

Literally would be the best national anthems ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wouldn't call it a weird obsession to simply not buy into the narrative that you should be ashamed of what made you who you are. 

The British Empire was the closest anyone has come to world domination, quite an incredible feat. We are an amazing country.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Harry said:

Be proud of your history. Its the envy of most of the world.  You guys conquerred most of that world in the name of your queen. Now you don't even feel like singing to save her. 

Lol majority of Brits don't even believe in God never mind him saving her :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Brazil power singing their national anthem is the main thing i remember about the 2014 world cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Harry said:

 Brazil power singing their national anthem is the main thing i remember about the 2014 world cup. 

 

36 minutes ago, Harry said:

 Brazil power singing their national anthem is the main thing i remember about the 2014 world cup. 

The only thing they did

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Danny said:

No you take the good with the bad and a balanced view, you've only got to look at the slaughter of people that British colonialism caused in your own country. As a country that should be something that we look back on in shame, much like the Germans do over the Nazi's. But it's a lot more acceptable to feel shame over killing white Europeans than Asians/Africans/American etc

Maybe so but times were different and there were all sorts of people killing each other all over the world including in the places that were conquered. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one thing I'll be missing at this year's World Cup is seeing the passion of the Italian players singing their anthem. One of the best. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lens through which you view and interpret history shapes the reality of your today. To look back at a something romantically or with guilt will significantly alter behaviour. Attaching emotion to history is always a risk.

Most history of the island and occupants of Briton and the formation and existance of the boundary of England is actually ignored.

I am against national anthems in football in general, I used to think bin God Save the Queen because it says nothing about today, but if you are going to have an anthem then it must define either history or the present. In simplified terms the monarchy is the reason this boundary called England exists, throw in the threat of invasion to that.

It seems to me people and I once wanted an anthem of emotion. What we've got now is emotionless for most, but at least it is a statement that defines why this boundary exists.

Plus if you want emotion this anthem really winds our near rivals up. It gets them froffing at the mouth which is hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stan said:

one thing I'll be missing at this year's World Cup is seeing the passion of the Italian players singing their anthem. One of the best. 

For me it’s the best composed national anthem of them all. I’ve always been envious of the whole make-up of that anthem especially the actual melodic changes in rhythm. The World Cup without it loses something special.

Both the Italian and US national athems are the best out there with the German one coming behind but very nice too. Those three for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

For me it’s the best composed national anthem of them all. I’ve always been envious of the whole make-up of that anthem especially the actual melodic changes in rhythm. The World Cup without it loses something special.

Both the Italian and US national athems are the best out there with the German one coming behind but very nice too. Those three for me. 

The Dutch anthem is the oldest in the World :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Panna King said:

The Dutch anthem is the oldest in the World :D 

The 5 oldest National Anthems

1. Netherlands: 1568

2. United Kingdom: 1745

3. Spain: 1770

4. France: 1795

5. Argentina: 1813

 

All of them need to be updated by Kylie Minogue. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The 5 oldest National Anthems

1. Netherlands: 1568

2. United Kingdom: 1745

3. Spain: 1770

4. France: 1795

5. Argentina: 1813

 

All of them need to be updated by Kylie Minogue. :ph34r:

French one isnt that bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

For me it’s the best composed national anthem of them all. I’ve always been envious of the whole make-up of that anthem especially the actual melodic changes in rhythm. The World Cup without it loses something special.

Both the Italian and US national athems are the best out there with the German one coming behind but very nice too. Those three for me. 

Just wait till this will be sung at the world cup final.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Panna King said:

French one isnt that bad. 

Overrated for me to be honest. But it isnt the worst of the lot.

Just read up on some interesting  facts... Wilhelmus was only recognised as the national anthem in 1932 and La Marcha Patriotica (Argentina) was composed by a Spaniard, Blas Parera. The national anthem of Spain is one of only 4 national anthems that don’t contain words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Just wait till this will be sung at the world cup final.

How long do you put on that waiting time mate? I’m 46... Do you think I’ll make it? :ph34r:;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement