talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

National Anthem

football forum

If you could change GSTQ to an actual decent national anthem what would you change it to?

For England obviously admin Wales and Scotland are already sorted.

I'd lean towards one of:

Vindaloo (England national team only)

Wonderwall/Don't Look Back In Anger

Angels

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Marc said:

GSTQ is the worst national anthem in the world. 

Land of hope and glory?

I'd prefer it over GSTQ.

Jerusalem and Rule Brittania are both shit and for nonces 

You poms have a great anthem. Fuk sake you guys whinge about everything!

Listen to advance Australia Fair and then talk to me about shitty anthems. 

Yours is iconic like the French, Italian American and Brazilian....

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

You poms have a great anthem. Fuk sake you guys whinge about everything!

Listen to advance Australia Fair and then talk to me about shitty anthems. 

Yours is iconic like the French, Italian American and Brazilian....

Iconically shit and half the country doesn't like the monarchy.

32 minutes ago, Danny said:

Iconically shit and half the country doesn't like the monarchy.

Be proud of your history. Its the envy of most of the world.  You guys conquerred most of that world in the name of your queen. Now you don't even feel like singing to save her. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Be proud of your history. Its the envy of most of the world.  You guys conquerred most of that world in the name of your queen. Now you don't even feel like singing to save her. 

Colonialism isn't something to be proud of mate 😂

Just now, Marc said:

Angels by Robbie Williams? hahah love it

It's a cracker, everyone would belt that out

33 minutes ago, Danny said:

Colonialism isn't something to be proud of mate 😂

It's 90% of what you are and the reason your not a third world country today. Embrace it. 

Just now, Harry said:

It's 90% of what you are and the reason your not a third world country today. Embrace it. 

I don't sit at home feeling guilty about it but it's a weird obsession to have feeling proud of colonialism 

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

I don't sit at home feeling guilty about it but it's a weird obsession to have feeling proud of colonialism 

I wouldn't call it a weird obsession to simply not buy into the narrative that you should be ashamed of what made you who you are. 

Just now, Harry said:

I wouldn't call it a weird obsession to simply not buy into the narrative that you should be ashamed of what made you who you are. 

No you take the good with the bad and a balanced view, you've only got to look at the slaughter of people that British colonialism caused in your own country. As a country that should be something that we look back on in shame, much like the Germans do over the Nazi's. But it's a lot more acceptable to feel shame over killing white Europeans than Asians/Africans/American etc

57 minutes ago, Harry said:

Lol majority of Brits don't even believe in God never mind him saving her :D

36 minutes ago, Harry said:

Brazil power singing their national anthem is the main thing i remember about the 2014 world cup. 

36 minutes ago, Harry said:

Brazil power singing their national anthem is the main thing i remember about the 2014 world cup. 

The only thing they did

14 minutes ago, Danny said:

No you take the good with the bad and a balanced view, you've only got to look at the slaughter of people that British colonialism caused in your own country. As a country that should be something that we look back on in shame, much like the Germans do over the Nazi's. But it's a lot more acceptable to feel shame over killing white Europeans than Asians/Africans/American etc

Maybe so but times were different and there were all sorts of people killing each other all over the world including in the places that were conquered. 

• Administrator

one thing I'll be missing at this year's World Cup is seeing the passion of the Italian players singing their anthem. One of the best. 

The lens through which you view and interpret history shapes the reality of your today. To look back at a something romantically or with guilt will significantly alter behaviour. Attaching emotion to history is always a risk.

Most history of the island and occupants of Briton and the formation and existance of the boundary of England is actually ignored.

I am against national anthems in football in general, I used to think bin God Save the Queen because it says nothing about today, but if you are going to have an anthem then it must define either history or the present. In simplified terms the monarchy is the reason this boundary called England exists, throw in the threat of invasion to that.

It seems to me people and I once wanted an anthem of emotion. What we've got now is emotionless for most, but at least it is a statement that defines why this boundary exists.

Plus if you want emotion this anthem really winds our near rivals up. It gets them froffing at the mouth which is hilarious.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

one thing I'll be missing at this year's World Cup is seeing the passion of the Italian players singing their anthem. One of the best. 

For me it’s the best composed national anthem of them all. I’ve always been envious of the whole make-up of that anthem especially the actual melodic changes in rhythm. The World Cup without it loses something special.

Both the Italian and US national athems are the best out there with the German one coming behind but very nice too. Those three for me. 

9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

For me it’s the best composed national anthem of them all. I’ve always been envious of the whole make-up of that anthem especially the actual melodic changes in rhythm. The World Cup without it loses something special.

Both the Italian and US national athems are the best out there with the German one coming behind but very nice too. Those three for me. 

The Dutch anthem is the oldest in the World :D 

6 minutes ago, Panna King said:

The Dutch anthem is the oldest in the World :D 

The 5 oldest National Anthems

1. Netherlands: 1568

2. United Kingdom: 1745

3. Spain: 1770

4. France: 1795

5. Argentina: 1813

All of them need to be updated by Kylie Minogue. :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The 5 oldest National Anthems