talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

National Anthem

football forum

23 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

For me it’s the best composed national anthem of them all. I’ve always been envious of the whole make-up of that anthem especially the actual melodic changes in rhythm. The World Cup without it loses something special.

Both the Italian and US national athems are the best out there with the German one coming behind but very nice too. Those three for me. 

Just wait till this will be sung at the world cup final.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Panna King said:

French one isnt that bad. 

Overrated for me to be honest. But it isnt the worst of the lot.

Just read up on some interesting  facts... Wilhelmus was only recognised as the national anthem in 1932 and La Marcha Patriotica (Argentina) was composed by a Spaniard, Blas Parera. The national anthem of Spain is one of only 4 national anthems that don’t contain words.

11 hours ago, Cannabis said:

The British Empire was the closest anyone has come to world domination, quite an incredible feat. We are an amazing country.

The Spanish Empire didn't do to badly either at conquering and killing loads of people in the process mate.

greater_spanish_empire_by_generalhelghas

13 hours ago, Danny said:

Colonialism isn't something to be proud of mate 😂

It's a cracker, everyone would belt that out

It's only a bad thing because colonialism is a naughty word. I don't see the Mongols being ashamed of Genghis or Italians ashamed of Rome :ph34r: Marseille isn't even a French city, it was colonised by Greeks!

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

The Spanish Empire didn't do to badly either at conquering and killing loads of people in the process mate.

But you were terrible at building something out of it. As Eduardo Galeano once said, Spain had the cow but others drank its milk.  xD

6 hours ago, El Profesor said:

But you were terrible at building something out of it. As Eduardo Galeano once said, Spain had the cow but others drank its milk.  xD

I know... Latin  mentality you see! xD:dam:

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I'm a bit confused about that map, why is Cambodia and Vietnam on it as a part as the Spanish Empire? Pretty sure the Spanish got their arses kicked when they tried to invade xD 

26 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'm a bit confused about that map, why is Cambodia and Vietnam on it as a part as the Spanish Empire? Pretty sure the Spanish got their arses kicked when they tried to invade xD 

Got it from Wikipedia. Then there were maps with even larger extensions but I thought those were taking the piss!  Philippines I know for sure coz I studied that at school aside from some other countries in Asia.

Here's another from Wiki... o.O

450px-Imperio_Espa%C3%B1ol_Completo.svg.

11 hours ago, Spike said:

It's only a bad thing because colonialism is a naughty word. I don't see the Mongols being ashamed of Genghis or Italians ashamed of Rome :ph34r: Marseille isn't even a French city, it was colonised by Greeks!

Genghis fought like a man and conquered unlike Brits who pretended to came as traders but were making secret plan to take over, cowards :ph34r:

#EastIndiaCompany

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Got it from Wikipedia. Then there were maps with even larger extensions but I thought those were taking the piss!  Philippines I know for sure coz I studied that at school aside from some other countries in Asia.

Here's another from Wiki... o.O

450px-Imperio_Espa%C3%B1ol_Completo.svg.

Yeah the Philippines is an obvious case, they were under Spanish influence for a few centuries after all, many still have Spanish names, a lot of them speak Spanish (or a version of it), and Catholic faith is still big there ... As for Cambodia, I know that Portuguese and Spanish trader and missionary bands from Malacca and Manila, respectively, were linked to different royal clans and attempted a couple of coups (mostly in order to convert the population to Christianity; that's why the Portuguese and the Spanish fought together, supported by converted Filipinos) in the 16th century, all unsuccessful. Granted, Cambodia was having much more problems with the Siamese (current Thailand) since the fall of the Khmer Empire in the 15th century; in fact, the Spanish and the Portuguese even helped Cambodians fight off Siamese hoping to turn the country into a Spanish colony, and they even managed to install a puppet king that was supposed to be favourable to them, but it didn't last long (they were all skirmished by the Cham and the Malays in Phnom Penh shortly after), so that's probably what this map refers to as "Protectorate of Cambodia", which a bit misleading, in my opinion, as they never had a real presence here... It was at the time when Longvaek was the capital, business center and the trading port, so many Europeans with different agendas around at that time, but it didn't really work out for them either way, while the Siamese conquered the land essentially turning into a vassal state, which later was invaded by the Vietnamese, before both were later colonised by the French xD The history of the region is very fascinating, but also such a big mess.

14 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah the Philippines is an obvious case, they were under Spanish influence for a few centuries after all, many still have Spanish names, a lot of them speak Spanish (or a version of it), and Catholic faith is still big there ... As for Cambodia, I know that Portuguese and Spanish trader and missionary bands from Malacca and Manila, respectively, were linked to different royal clans and attempted a couple of coups (mostly in order to convert the population to Christianity; that's why the Portuguese and the Spanish fought together, supported by converted Filipinos) in the 16th century, all unsuccessful. Granted, Cambodia was having much more problems with the Siamese (current Thailand) since the fall of the Khmer Empire in the 15th century; in fact, the Spanish and the Portuguese even helped Cambodians fight off Siamese hoping to turn the country into a Spanish colony, and they even managed to install a puppet king that was supposed to be favourable to them, but it didn't last long (they were all skirmished by the Cham and the Malays in Phnom Penh shortly after), so that's probably what this map refers to as "Protectorate of Cambodia", which a bit misleading, in my opinion, as they never had a real presence here... It was at the time when Longvaek was the capital, business center and the trading port, so many Europeans with different agendas around at that time, but it didn't really work out for them either way, while the Siamese conquered the land essentially turning into a vassal state, which later was invaded by the Vietnamese, before both were later colonised by the French xD The history of the region is very fascinating, but also such a big mess.

I've never had time to read up on the finer details of these things but they're so fascinating to be honest. Thanks for that! ;)

19 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I know... Latin  mentality you see! xD:dam:

Yes, I think Max Weber was defintely on something in "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism". Hey, at least we catholics will always have the Eternity! :D

18 hours ago, nudge said:

The map is indeed very strange. When has Spain ever held the entire italian peninsula, Albania (?), Greece (?) and Egypt? I know they´ve colonized Equatorial Guinea and Morocco, but their chunk of Africa was relatively small compared to France´s and England´s. Egypt was part of Ottoman Empire during the early colonial era.

Plus, their part of what constitutes modern Brazil due to the Tordesillas Treaty was big but never composed any part of brazilian coast. The coast was portuguese. Unless they´re counting the parts the dutch held in Northeastern Brazil in the  17th century as spanish but John Maurice of Nassau was a dutch protestant and would definitely disagree with this . xD

5 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Yes, I think Max Weber was defintely on something in "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism". Hey, at least we catholics will always have the Eternity! :D

The map is indeed very strange. When has Spain ever held the entire italian peninsula, Albania (?), Greece (?) and Egypt? I know they´ve colonized Equatorial Guinea and Morocco, but their chunk of Africa was relatively small compared to France´s and England´s. Egypt was part of Ottoman Empire during the early colonial era.

Plus, their part of what constitutes modern Brazil due to the Tordesillas Treaty was big but never composed any part of brazilian coast. The coast was portuguese. Unless they´re counting the parts the dutch held in Northeastern Brazil in the  17th century as spanish but John Maurice of Nassau was a dutch protestant and would definitely disagree with this . xD

I thought that about Greece and Egypt too on there...  They didn't hold the whole of Italy but created le due Sicilie (Kindom of the Two Sicilies).  From Naples down Italy was ruled by Spain for a long time... The Neapolitans today are extremely proud of at ancestry.. Infact the King of Spain amongst his many titles still possesses the title "Emperador de Las Dos Sicilias"

7 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Though before your play off against Uruguay :$

Not sure what you mean? But you've sent me down memory lane. Watched the second leg in 2005 and the national anthems. Almost brought me to tears. Goosebumps and shivers galore. So proud 82,000 people booed their national anthem after everything they did to us in 2001 and 2005. Oh that night made football be accepted here. 

9 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Not sure what you mean? But you've sent me down memory lane. Watched the second leg in 2005 and the national anthems. Almost brought me to tears. Goosebumps and shivers galore. So proud 82,000 people booed their national anthem after everything they did to us in 2001 and 2005. Oh that night made football be accepted here. 

I've watched the highlights of the home leg against Uruguay and loved the way that lady sang the anthem.

Archived