talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Very Early) Premier League 18/19 Predictions

1, Manchester City - They won by such a commanding distance last season I think it would take either a monumental effort or a monumental for anybody to dethrone them this season.

2, Liverpool - I think they have set a real good example for everybody to follow. This transfer window has been open since 2003 and every window has seen an influx in prices. Don't squabble of a couple of million here and there if you want to challenge for the talent. Improve your weakest position by making a statement signing. They've done that again this window. I just hope Klopp wins a final, even if it's a carabao cup.

3, Chelsea - Despite all the drama that's gone on in a club that looks disorganised, I think there's enough individual quality and Sarri enthusiasm to muster up a strong end to the season. Third place shouldn't be scoffed at by Roman.

4, Tottenham Hotspur - I think this promising generation of players are going to miss their chance and Daniel Levy will only have himself to blame. His penny pinching methods have been instrumental in getting Tottenham to where they are, but so has the way Pochettino has developed players. Him, Eriksen, Alli etc must be at the end of their teather with the lack of signings. Especially given they've just seen their next wave of talent coming through go overseas. The sad reality is this could be an opportunity missed.

5, Arsenal - If Wenger had signed the players that Emery had signed, they'd be moaning about signing 'another Mustafi', 'another Xhaka', 'another Debuchy'. I think the feel good factor will help but there home form has always been good anyway. I have them below Tottenham because I reckon Emery will take them quite far in the Europa League, affecting their league form in the process.

6, Manchester United - Third season syndrome looks like it's about to kick in again for Mourinho. The moaning will continue, he could lose the support of players, the football will be boring, the fans will be isolated, Woodward's hand could well be forced.

7, Everton - I think the blips and the points total will be similar to what it was last season. The big difference will be the brand of football. If Everton fans will be happy with that remains to be seen.

8, Wolves - There's nothing to suggest this spending will not continue in January. The quality in their side combined with their momentum from last season and their managers enthusiasm should see them do well. What could throw them off? A bizarre managerial replacement maybe?

9, West Ham United - There squad looks like an absolute cluster fuck at the minute and it will take a long time for them to gel. I fancy Pellegrini to eventually start getting things in order by the end of the season but the fans have to be patient.

10, Crystal Palace - We have been fully Hodgsonised now. We have kept Zaha and replaced Cabaye with Meyer. We look organised, confident, and could be presented with our best opportunity to make an impact.

11, AFC Bournemouth - There unorthodox approach will unfortunately see them safe. They'll let in 4 against Huddersfield and then beat Chelsea. Quite alarming they haven't adreased their goal problem.

12, Brighton & Hove Albion - I don't think all of there new signings will be a sucess but I think enough of them will pull through to help improve on last season.

13, Fulham - I think they'll play good football, have a wobble, but finish strong. Even with all their spending that's all they can ask for. Next season they could really push on though.

14, Leicester City - I think they'll change manager at some point and that change could see them end anywhere from 8th to 18th. I can't imagine them going down but I think it will be a season of transition for them.

15, Burnley - A thin squad and Europe will hit them hard. They were very fortunate to go an entire season with the one injury last time round. This will be a real test for them. I hope they don't go down.

16, Southampton - A managerial change will occur, they'll continue their boring brand of football, they'll flirt but not commit to playing academy players, and they'll have a difficult season.

17, Watford - We will see a managerial change but unlike previous years I don't see that quality and unity that will steer them away from trouble.

18, Cardiff City - Ahh Colin. It wouldn't surprise me if they survive mind you as I don't think the gap from recently promoted to top flight is anywhere near as big as it was when he nearly kept Sheffield United up over ten years ago. Hes been allowed to sign his players and this is his first real fair crack at top flight management. Good luck to the backstabbing bastard.

19, Newcastle United - If Rafa stays they'll probably finish top half. I just cannot imagine him putting up with this shit from Ashley too much longer. Life's too short.

20, Huddersfield Town - They struggled in the second half of last season and haven't made inspiring signings. I reckon they e been sussed and will drop. Fair play to Wagner if he keeps them up again.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 Man City

2 Liverpool

3rd-6th is hard to predict because of the uncertainty and the unknown of these four. I wouldn't rule any of these out of finishing inside the top four

3 Chelsea

4 Man Utd

5 Tottenham

6 Arsenal

7th downwards again is hard to predict but here goes...

7 Crystal Palace

8 West Ham

9 Everton

10 Wolves

11 Brighton

12 Leicester

13 Southampton

14 Bournemouth

15 Fulham

16 Newcastle

17 Burnley

18 Huddersfield

19 Watford

20 Cardiff

• Subscriber

Here goes...

20. Cardiff City - Huge respect to them for getting promoted last year, but I just don't think they're going to have enough about them and I expect despite his effort getting them up, Neil Warnock will likely lose his job at some point during the season.

19. Huddersfield Town - When Huddersfield came up I called them doing a Hull the first time round, which is to start well, really tail off but end up surviving narrowly, followed by a relegation the next season. I've so far gotten it all right, and this is the depressing part two of that for them. Like Cardiff, credit to them, but they won't be good enough.

18. Southampton - This is my surprise pick. I don't really think they've done enough to rectify their wrongs from last year. I don't rate Mark Hughes highly and I expect things to go south under him pretty quickly. I've found it hard picking a third side to go down this year but they don't look in good shape at all to me, and it's a big ask relying on Ings and Austin for your goals given their injury records.

17. Watford - Richarlison is a loss to them and their signings don't really excite you in any way, although Watford do often start quite well and they do often pluck these impressive unknown players out so I'm always a little wary of saying they'll go down. I do think sooner or later they'll drop though.

16. Burnley - I still have my doubts on whether Burnley will make the Europa League group stages as their tie with Basaksehir is still well in the balance, and Olympiakos in the next round is a very tricky test for them, but overall I just don't think they'll do as well. I think they did get a lot more points last year than logic suggested and I think that while they'll be comfortably safe from the drop, they won't do nearly as well as last year.

15. AFC Bournemouth - I think they'll be typical Bournemouth really, which is a bit of a nothingy statement but they probably have the most continuity in the league now that Wenger's gone and so far what we've seen from them and Howe is a pretty good side to watch, who are capable of pulling really impressive results out of the bag every now and then, but also one that goes on bad runs and is pretty porous at the back. Won't pull up any trees, but won't be relegated.

14. Newcastle United - I genuinely think the league in general will be stronger this year, which will knock Newcastle down a few places as they haven't really significantly strengthened, if at all. It's also plausible that Rafa walks (unless the rumour about him having to pay Ashley £6mil to resign is true). They'll be tricky to play against, but won't really pull up any trees.

13. Brighton & Hove Albion - Many are tipping them for the drop but I disagree, I think they're quite canny in the transfer market and have pulled out more clever signings to go with the ones they brought in last year, notably Jahanbakhsh from AZ who I think could be a real surprise player this year, I wanted Leicester in for him. I think they'll survive comfortably.

12. Fulham - I think their business is very good for a side that has come up, but I do feel at the same time that people are making them a bit of a flavour of the month in the sense that they're signing a lot of players, but how good actually are they? I did read a Ligue 1 expert say they've hugely overpaid for Anguissa for example. That said, this isn't to criticise them, as 12th for the play-off winners of last year would be a great effort.

11. Wolverhampton Wanderers - Very similar to Fulham in that their business, while good, is getting a tad over-rated for me. I totally get their fans' excitement but the talk of the top 7 is a bit silly. They have made good additions although not as many as people seem to think. They will however, be comfortably clear of the drop for me and will build on it next year.

10. Crystal Palace - Despite being a bit unconvinced by them a couple of weeks ago they seem to be on the right track. They haven't done loads of business but I think Hodgson did a fantastic job last year and he made me really eat my words, so maybe they didn't need all that much. They haven't really lost anyone either. Their form under Hodgson was top half and I think they'll narrowly crack that this year.

9. Leicester City - A repeat of last year for me (which is worrying as Stoke kept coming 9th before they dropped). I think we've had a good transfer window, better than a lot of people are giving us credit for, although the one obvious drawback is the loss of our key creative talent in Riyad Mahrez. James Maddison looks a very exciting prospect, Ricardo and Jonny Evans look like good additions and the two young defenders who came in late on look like a very exciting pair of buys - contingency for Maguire possibly going? Of course, we held onto everyone bar Mahrez. I'm a bit unsure on the Ward & Ghezzal signings but you never know. The problem with us is that we're quite volatile, and we've got a manager starting a season on a tightrope. That said, I'm a bit more confident now that if we did sack him, we'd have the quality to survive fairly comfortably. We still have in my eyes the best forward in the league outside of the top six and our defence, which shipped a honking 60 goals last year, should improve quite significantly.

8. West Ham United - They're like Leicester in that they're quite volatile, prone to going on horrific runs mixed in with the occasional bit of quality. West Ham have made some very exciting signings this summer, in-particular Felipe Anderson and Yarmolenko (I was desperate for us to sign him at one point), which kind of adds to their whole ability to really turn it on every now and then. The difference this time is that I think they've got a good manager in Pellegrini and in Issa Diop have made a really good, under the radar signing in a position where they're often weak. A better year from them this time.

7. Everton - Normally one of the safest picks in the league, they weren't too far pulling it off last year after a hideous first couple of months. I'm not convinced their recruitment has been quite as good as a lot are saying - Richarlison I'm not sure will deliver enough for them and Bernard, while obviously exciting, was released by Shakhtar for a reason, although I rate the Digne signing. Marco Silva is someone I do quite rate, although likewise think he's quite fortunate to have landed this job. It's his biggest test yet in England and I think he'll do well.

6. Manchester United - A surprise pick, but I really do feel like they're on the verge of another Mourinho meltdown. I think (HOPE!) they will start slowly but will grow into it a bit over the season, with Mourinho going either during or at the end. I've got very little hope for Manchester United doing anything notable this season and I'm not on my own in that.

5. Chelsea - I expect them to be good to watch, but for it to take a while for them to really click under Sarri. There are still question marks over their strikers for me although in Hazard and Kante they have two of the leagues best. I think fundamental issues at the club will cost them a top four place this year and they really ought to have recruited a bit better.

4. Tottenham Hotspur - It was very tough picking between the three London clubs, I think there's very little in it. Tottenham I expect to take a little while to adapt to their surroundings but once they do they'll be very strong. However, while I'm very against spending for the sake of spending, nobody can possibly convince me that there wasn't a single player in the world that Tottenham could've identified, that was realistically attainable for a London based, Champions League side in their new ground, that would've improved their team. It's baffling. They shouldn't be written off though. They're usually a comfortable bet for the top four.

3. Arsenal - I think Emery will be success for Arsenal and will highlight just how much Arsenal really did need to move Wenger on. There's some real talent in that side, some serious firepower and you would imagine, an improved defensive unit. I've got quite a good feeling about Arsenal this year and fancy them to be the top London side.

2. Liverpool - I think they will finish comfortably ahead of Arsenal, and comfortably behind whichever team it is I've had to come top (......), they've added some superb players to an already strong side and I think they will have another good European run. I don't expect Salah to post quite the numbers of last year, but having the likes of Keita and Fabinho come in are significant.

1. Manchester City. They're an absolutely phenomenal side. Liverpool may have the better of them one to one, but Man City are the top dogs by a mile still for me and despite not adding loads (other than Mahrez, of course) they will continue to dazzle the league. I'm a little concerned that they're going to monopolise the English game unfortunately. They're the most financially powerful and have the best coach in football. That takes some serious stopping. The challenge from Liverpool will be stronger, but not enough.

1. Manchester City
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. Tottenham Hotspur
5. Chelsea
6. Manchester United
7. Everton
8. West Ham United
9. Leicester City
10. Crystal Palace
11. Wolverhampton Wanderers
12. Fulham
13. Brighton & Hove Albion
14. Newcastle United
15. AFC Bournemouth
16. Burnley
17. Watford

--------------------------------------------------
18. Southampton
19. Huddersfield Town
20. Cardiff City

1 Manchester City
2 Liverpool
3 Manchester United
4 Tottenham Hotspur
-----------------------------
5 Chelsea 
6 Arsenal
7 Burnley
-----------------------------
8 West Ham United
9 Brighton & Hove Albion
10 Wolverhampton Wanderers
11 Everton
12 Newcastle United
13 Leicester City
14 Watford
15 Crystal Palace
16 Fulham
17 Southampton 
--------------------------------
18 Bournemouth 
19 Huddersfield Town
20 Cardiff City

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Cool idea @Dan but on the mobile phone im seeing one letter per line from the top half onwards.

Just seen it 😂 did exactly that last year and had no issues. Well Palace I've got 2nd.

CHELSEA will win the league this season; the board will be over the moon, think the squad is already elite, not reinforce during the off-season, and then be left behind by rivals in the transfer market. Chelsea will finish 7th and Sarri will be sacked by Christmas. The cycle will continue.

1 Manchester City

It's hard to win the title a second time. That single-minded drive just isn't there once you've done it and you lose the extra 5-10% that gives you in key moments. Add to that their only major signing (Mahrez) will never be able to match at Man City what he did with Leicester, and other teams strengthening, and I could see why you'd bet against them retaining the title. The only problem is that they're really fucking good, so none of that will matter. It won't be as easy as it was last year, but they'll do it again.

2 Liverpool

I think we've done great business. Addressing our problem areas with top talent and adding a very exciting player in Naby Keita. Second season syndrome will hit Salah, but he'll still score a shitload of goals and there's enough quality around him to pick up the slack, plus we won't let in anywhere near as many with Alisson replacing a pair of bellends, Fabinho replacing the braindead Can, a full year of van Dijk, and hopefully Clyne's return. In short, it's only Man City's incredible quality and depth that's stopping me bouncing up and down screaming "It's our year boys!"

3 Manchester United

They might not have done a lot of business, but they still have a very good squad and a manager that finds ways to win. People are predicting another Mourinho meltdown and a poor season for United. I'd love it, but I'm not convinced it'll happen. Maybe I'm being skewed by tonight's result.

4 Tottenham

Similar to United, they're getting a lot of criticism and being written off because of their lack of business. I think they complacently missed an opportunity to upgrade and really kick on, but they have a very good team and they're all still there.

5 Chelsea

They had a very good end to the window, and I very nearly had them 4th, but I still think they're lacking in the goals department and that could cost them a few too many times. Don't bet against them winning the Europa League and getting into next season's Champions League that way.

6 Arsenal

They're in much better shape than they were this time last year and they've strengthened over the summer, but I don't think it's enough. Which of their players would get into the teams I've listed above them? It's not many

7 Everton

They've got rid of Koeman and Allardyce, who were both awful, and they've done some solid business. They'll reclaim their rightful place in the Premier League.

8th Crystal Palace

They looked good at times last season and have done good business in the summer. Hodgson does well with this sort of team.

9th Fulham

I really rate their transfer business. Making so many additions might mean it takes a while for everything to slot into place, but they'll nonetheless be fascinating this season.

10th Leicester

Weirdly I don't think they'll be that damaged by the loss of Mahrez, although it will inevitably cost them a few points. Maddison improves them in the middle of the park and Evans at the back.

12th-17th Too early and too close to call

In truth this applies to 8-10 as well, but I rate those teams above the rest of the pack. A lot depends on who can string a few results together and build momentum, and who gets lucky/unlucky with injuries.

18th Southampton

Nearly dropped last year and haven't done much over the summer. I like Ings but the kid hasn't played football in two years

19th Wolves

This is my surprise pick, and I could easily be wrong, but this is dodgy as hell and I can see it going tits up. Shades of 2014/15 QPR and 2015/16 Valencia

20th Cardiff

I just don't think there's enough there unfortunately. They won't embarrass themselves, but I think they'll be down with a few weeks to spare.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/06/2018 at 10:52, Happy Blue said:

1. Man City
2. Liverpool
3. Spurs
4. Chelsea
5. Arsenal
6. Leicester
7. Everton
8. Burnley
9. West Ham
10. Bournemouth
11. Crystal Palace
12. Newcastle
13. ManU
14. Wolves
15. Brighton
16. Fulham
17. Watford
18. Cardiff
19. Huddersfield
20. Southampton

Are people still laughing at my United prediction? ;)  ..was i being kind? :ph34r:

• The topic was unpinned
  • 6 months later...
  • Administrator
On 27/08/2018 at 22:03, Happy Blue said:

Are people still laughing at my United prediction? ;)  ..was i being kind? :ph34r:

I think they'll be laughing now... :ph34r:

On 02/06/2018 at 10:52, Happy Blue said:

1. Man City
2. Liverpool
3. Spurs
4. Chelsea
5. Arsenal
6. Leicester
7. Everton
8. Burnley
9. West Ham
10. Bournemouth
11. Crystal Palace
12. Newcastle
13. ManU
14. Wolves
15. Brighton
16. Fulham
17. Watford
18. Cardiff
19. Huddersfield
20. Southampton

Almost bang on the money :o

• Subscriber

Having read it back I think I got a lot of my justifications right but positions wrong. Hugely under-estimated Watford & Gracia and even despite pointing out a potential flaw with Fulham (that has absolutely happened) I've got them well above where they should be.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

On 08/08/2018 at 14:25, Machado said:

City and Liverpool - a two way title race.

As for the rest, I'm more interested in seeing who the 7th team will be. Would be nice if Wolves made it.

Well predicted...

On 07/08/2018 at 15:08, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it'll be:

1 - Manchester City

2-4 - some mix of us, Spurs, and Chelsea

5 - Probably United, but I'll say Arsenal

6 - Probably Arsenal, but I'll say United

No idea who'll go down. Plenty of contenders tbh, but I'll say that I don't think Wolves or Fulham will go down. Wolves because they've got that dodgy deal with Mendes, so they've got a bunch of seasoned players with quality that most promoted sides don't get. Fulham strengthened pretty well imo.

I didn't do too bad.

58 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I didn't do too bad.

Actually you covered every angle and still got it wrong xD

• Subscriber
On 07/08/2018 at 21:10, RandoEFC said:

1st Man City

2nd Liverpool

3rd Tottenham

4th Chelsea

5th Arsenal

6th Manchester United

7th Everton

The rest I have no fucking clue but Leicester, Burnley and West Ham should be nowhere near the bottom three.

Almost makes me want Spurs to beat us and get 3rd on Sunday :ph34r:.

On 16/07/2018 at 12:59, Inverted said:

Can't be arsed doing 1-20 but I'll offer some early almost totally un-thought-out shouts on key positions for the patter of either lucking-in on a correct prediction, or being totally shown-up.

Top 6: City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, United, Spurs (descending order).

7th: Everton.

Relegated: Watford, Huddersfield, Bournemouth.

All over the place. My top 6 was nearly perfect, besides horrendously underestimating Spurs xD

Everton was not a bad shout, but also a pretty obvious one, for being in contention for 7th.

I got Huddersfield right, but that's pretty low-lying fruit. Drastically off the mark when it came to Bournemouth and Watford. I didn't buy into the Fulham hype but I did think they'd steer clear of relegation ultimately. Cardiff I expected would put up more of a fight than most expected, though it wasn't enough. 

On 02/07/2018 at 19:34, Cicero said:

One of Liverpool or Spurs will win a trophy this season 

Got that right

Archived