talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Memphis Depay - Return to Man Utd

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Just what we need. Another fucking show pony that can’t get the job done. Brilliant.

Man United number 7s of the past:- George Best, Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona, David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo.

ones of today: Memphis Depay, Angel Di Maria, Alexis Sanchez...

There is something seriously going wrong nowadays.

3 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Man United number 7s of the past:- George Best, Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona, David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Now I’m really fucking depressed 😂

6 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Ignoring Depay, the other two are not bad players to put them in Depay's league. DiMaria and Sanchez are top class players. Its bad luck or whatever the reasons that they didnt shine for United. Who would have thought Ronaldo would have achieved the heights he did with United when he was signed? Sometimes its just badluck and I dont agree the fact that you put DiMaria and Sanchez in some sort of "bad 7s" list. I would even say those two are probably better than David Beckham overall as players. 

EDIT: Also maybe there are several other factors like the previous number 7s played with the likes of Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand under Ferguson while the newer 7s you mentioned played with the likes of Herrara, Young, Phil Jones under Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho? I think its a collective dip in the team and manager quality rather than just sanchez and dimaria being bad 7s for united.

12 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Don't forget Kanchelskis another good Utd #7. He was far better than any of these jokers today too.

The current Utd team lacks even a modicum of character and flair. If I were to use one word to describe this team under Mourinho it'd be nondescript. Instantly forgettable. 

9 hours ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Don't forget Kanchelskis another good Utd #7. He was far better than any of these jokers today too.

The current Utd team lacks even a modicum of character and flair. If I were to use one word to describe this team under Mourinho it'd be nondescript. Instantly forgettable. 

Very underrated player. One of the players who stand out from the Premier League in the early-mid 90s. I was unsure if he worse the number 7 or not though.

16 hours ago, Asura said:

Ignoring Depay, the other two are not bad players to put them in Depay's league. DiMaria and Sanchez are top class players. Its bad luck or whatever the reasons that they didnt shine for United. Who would have thought Ronaldo would have achieved the heights he did with United when he was signed? Sometimes its just badluck and I dont agree the fact that you put DiMaria and Sanchez in some sort of "bad 7s" list. I would even say those two are probably better than David Beckham overall as players. 

EDIT: Also maybe there are several other factors like the previous number 7s played with the likes of Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand under Ferguson while the newer 7s you mentioned played with the likes of Herrara, Young, Phil Jones under Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho? I think its a collective dip in the team and manager quality rather than just sanchez and dimaria being bad 7s for united.

I've always been a fan of Alexis Sanchez, but don't think he is a player to lead a big club like Man United to where they wish to be and this was on show when at Barcelona, even if he did have his moments and weren't poor, just not the right man. He's immense for Chile though, was for Arsenal and also Udinese, but I think some clubs are a step too high. His performances for United thus far have not been up to the standards expected either, although as you said, that can also relate back to Mourinho and the terrible decisions Man United have been making as a club allround.

As for Di Maria, I expected him to do a lot better than he did as he was class, albeit being inconsistent, for Real Madrid and was a player who I thought would have been a perfect signing for any top club in the world around the time he was at Benfica. The idea behind both signings for Man United were understandable, although the performances they showed/have shown for United weren't up to scratch. They aren't bad players at all, the opposite to that in fact, but for United they weren't/aren't great.

Another you could add is Nani, if he wore number 7? He had his moments but was largely a frustrating player.

On 02/06/2018 at 14:02, The Rebel CRS said:

The list of past number 7s looks really small. There are about two dozen shite names missing from it :eek:

7 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Very underrated player. One of the players who stand out from the Premier League in the early-mid 90s. I was unsure if he worse the number 7 or not though.

I've always been a fan of Alexis Sanchez, but don't think he is a player to lead a big club like Man United to where they wish to be and this was on show when at Barcelona, even if he did have his moments and weren't poor, just not the right man. He's immense for Chile though, was for Arsenal and also Udinese, but I think some clubs are a step too high. His performances for United thus far have not been up to the standards expected either, although as you said, that can also relate back to Mourinho and the terrible decisions Man United have been making as a club allround.

As for Di Maria, I expected him to do a lot better than he did as he was class, albeit being inconsistent, for Real Madrid and was a player who I thought would have been a perfect signing for any top club in the world around the time he was at Benfica. The idea behind both signings for Man United were understandable, although the performances they showed/have shown for United weren't up to scratch. They aren't bad players at all, the opposite to that in fact, but for United they weren't/aren't great.

Another you could add is Nani, if he wore number 7? He had his moments but was largely a frustrating player.

I still believe its to do with how Man Utd are setup as a team and the quality of the players they have for both DiMaria and Sanchez (so far) to no be successful. Maybe Sanchez didnt fit Barcelona well but I still believe he can be a great player for Man United who are not a possession based team historically speaking. Barcelona are a different breed as you either fit or dont fit with the way they play, its extremely hard for players to fit in their system if they dont have it, thats probably the reason why not many outsiders of la Masia dont reach their peaks there (I dont even think Neymar was all that great for them as he used to kill so many attacks with his unnecessary ball holding and dribbling just like what Sanchez does) compared to their academy graduates.

But my point was that its harsh to call DiMaria and Sanchez as bad number 7s for United because clearly they were playing with a shittier team and bad managers compared to what the likes of Beckham (who imo is not one of the greatest players and certainly not a great 7 for them), Ronaldo and Cantona had. 

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked

Archived