Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

England 2-1 Nigeria - Saturday 2nd June, 2018

Pickford

Walker - Cahill - Stones

Trippier -----------------------------------Young

Dier

Lingard - Alli - Sterling

Kane

Goal England!
Gary Cahill powers in a header from a good corner by Tripper.

Haha that's why we flogged you Mikel. Brilliant marking as usual 

Love the Nigerian kit, they look shit though.

Not sure why Alli is getting booed, born in England and his dad fucked off at a young age.

Quite like the 3 at the back for us, gives us more security at the back and takes away our shit midfield options. Also allows the front men to be more creative.

liking the way England are playing so far. Good movement off the ball and there's good linking between all 3 parts of the team. 

2-0! Harry Kane drills a shot in from the edge of the box. Keeper looks like should have done better though. 

Just now, Cannabis said:

#tears4stan

friendlies don't count. 

All reminiscent of the time Crouch scored four and we smashed Jamaica before being very bland at the 2006 World Cup.

I think this is the first tournament in years where we are not forcing certain players into the line-up. The players who should play will I hope, think we could have a half decent tournament.

not being biased but I think this game is made for Vardy. There's a lot of space in behind the Nigerian defence as we've seen with some of Sterling's runs and the space he has found. 

Kane is perfect - actually looks fit again, dropping deep, linking play - his passing range is so underrated.

lingard, alli and sterling running beyond him is looking really fluid. Shame it’s Nigeria and hard to really take much from it - but this style of play is definitely preferable 

24 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

#tears4stan

:D :D

at this moment, friendiies count a little.

Sterling. Facepalm moment. What you playing at?

6 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Calling it now. Sterling will be denied a stonewall penalty in the finals.

VAR though 

34 minutes ago, Stan said:

Sterling. Facepalm moment. What you playing at?

Doesn't do himself any favours.

that last phase of play with Welbeck running towards goal and bottling it combined with Rose being offside was terrible. 

First half was considerably and noticeably better than the second half.

Nigeria stepped up their game and changed their tactics after half-time and I'd have expected us to respond to that in a better way to make the 2nd half somewhat more interesting but instead were happy to see out the game.

Sterling, Lingard, Alli, Kane, Cahill the standouts for the promising first half.

Welbeck and Rashford didn't do much when they came on despite both having good opportunities to get a shot on target or even score. 

13 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Why was Heaton there? I thought our goalkeepers were Pickford, Butland and Pope?

Heaton is on the stand by list isn't he?

That Nigeria home shirt is the best kit I've seen in years, finally something bold & creative, rather than just the usual safe templates on every kit.

Thought the first half was more of the improvement that I've seen from England under Southgate and we played some really exciting football at times. It's not the finished article but it's a hell of a lot better than anything under Hodgson or previous.

The second half was pretty dire. Natural for the performance level to drop in a friendly when you're 2 up but it should've been better than that.

Without trying to sound too biased - god knows how Rashford and Welbeck get on over Vardy.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1