talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England 2-1 Nigeria - Saturday 2nd June, 2018

football forum

• Administrator

First half was considerably and noticeably better than the second half.

Nigeria stepped up their game and changed their tactics after half-time and I'd have expected us to respond to that in a better way to make the 2nd half somewhat more interesting but instead were happy to see out the game.

Sterling, Lingard, Alli, Kane, Cahill the standouts for the promising first half.

Welbeck and Rashford didn't do much when they came on despite both having good opportunities to get a shot on target or even score. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Nigeria home shirt is the best kit I've seen in years, finally something bold & creative, rather than just the usual safe templates on every kit.

• Subscriber

Thought the first half was more of the improvement that I've seen from England under Southgate and we played some really exciting football at times. It's not the finished article but it's a hell of a lot better than anything under Hodgson or previous.

The second half was pretty dire. Natural for the performance level to drop in a friendly when you're 2 up but it should've been better than that.

Without trying to sound too biased - god knows how Rashford and Welbeck get on over Vardy.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'm furious with myself that Southgate is beginning to warm to me.

And me. When Hodgson went I cynically put money on Southgate replacing him thinking it would be typical of the FA. Allardyce gets the job then has his scandal so I end up losing my bet and ending up with Southgate anyway xD

But I'm quite happy with him so far. Not perfect by any stretch but the football is better. There's more imagination in our play.

Only watched the second half and we weren't terrible but weren't great either. Pretty average. Happy for Iwobi for getting Nigeria's goal. Made the initial chance and then finished well with his left on the rebound. Poor defending from us though.

Check out the history of Mario Gomez.  His career was almost finished in Germany and Internationals when all the officials were convinced that his falling over at every possible moment was play acting an he was more or less ignored out of the team.  Along comes cheating little Raheem and he is going the same way.  Waste of time playing him now and in any case his finishing is dire ( 1 out of 13 at the moment) and he will be refereed out of every game.  No suggestions as to who comes in - that's Gareth's decision, but he has to make one!

Archived