talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jan Oblak - Chelsea looking to activate €100m buy-out clause

Still not anything like the Buffon or Ferdinand or Zidane transfers. You've got to look at it relative to the general state of the market as it is.

United spent £90 million on a talented but inconsistent midfielder. PSG paid £220 million for the 2nd-best player in the world. £80 million is apparently the going rate for Higuain, who I wouldn't say is anything like the world's best centre-forward. Coutinho cost £110 million I think and I wouldn't say he's one of the best playmakers in the world.

Spending £100 million on a top-3 goalie in the world who sets you up in that position for the next 10 years seems pretty standard in light of the situation worldwide.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

If (and it’s a big if) you spend a world record fee on a goalkeeper, what’s the difference? Genuinely? Liverpool would spend just as much as City, United, Chelsea etc if they had the income (or a rich sugar daddy). With the new stand, TV revenue and ever growing sponsorship deals for shirt sleeves and ankle socks, you’ll be spending the big bucks. Your purchase of VVD was the beginning, not a one off. Purchasing players for world record fees is going to put you in the same bracket whether you like it or not.

'Yeah, but we are morally superior to you because of an arbitrary arguement over spending huge money on a sport'.

Oil, suggar daddy, selling... what does it matter where the money comes from? it obscene regardless. It isn't like Liverpool earned the Coutinho money through their own blood, sweat and tears. They didn't train him, raise him, put in the hours on the pitch, etc. Coutinho earned them £120,000,000 not the other way around.

9 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

If (and it’s a big if) you spend a world record fee on a goalkeeper, what’s the difference? Genuinely? Liverpool would spend just as much as City, United, Chelsea etc if they had the income (or a rich sugar daddy). With the new stand, TV revenue and ever growing sponsorship deals for shirt sleeves and ankle socks, you’ll be spending the big bucks. Your purchase of VVD was the beginning, not a one off. Purchasing players for world record fees is going to put you in the same bracket whether you like it or not.

Like you said, big if. There's just as much chance of us not signing a keeper at all this summer

8 hours ago, Spike said:

'Yeah, but we are morally superior to you because of an arbitrary arguement over spending huge money on a sport'.

Oil, suggar daddy, selling... what does it matter where the money comes from? it obscene regardless. It isn't like Liverpool earned the Coutinho money through their own blood, sweat and tears. They didn't train him, raise him, put in the hours on the pitch, etc. Coutinho earned them £120,000,000 not the other way around.

You seem upset Hun? Inbox me X

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

If you don’t sign a keeper, Klopp is fucking bonkers.

Either that or we'll end up with Butland as mentioned above and he would be no improvement on the other two dickheads

8 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Either that or we'll end up with Butland as mentioned above and he would be no improvement on the other two dickheads

I think Butland benefited from being in a poor team, so was peppered and occasionally pulled off some decent saves. Similar to Forster before and after his United move. 

53 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I think Butland benefited from being in a poor team, so was peppered and occasionally pulled off some decent saves. Similar to Forster before and after his United move. 

Same with Mignolet. I'm skeptical of keepers that look good on shit teams - I always have been. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Same with Mignolet. I'm skeptical of keepers that look good on shit teams - I always have been. 

Me too which is why I rate Oblak so highly.  We're talking about the best defensive unit in Europe when on form and even then he's managed to be a protagonist.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Has Butland even looked good in a shit team though? Every time I've seen him he looks like he's got a mistake in him

4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Has Butland even looked good in a shit team though? Every time I've seen him he looks like he's got a mistake in him

That's a good point. I think he's looked alright in some games and gash in others. Genuinely don't understand how Butland is so highly rated.

Sounds like we have been put off by the price for Oblak but are still in the race for Allison. 

Firmino said this about it when asked:

Firmino on Alisson: "Yes, he asked me about Liverpool and I hope he can arrive, but I know he has other proposals. It would not be bad if he came to Liverpool.”

21 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Sounds like we have been put off by the price for Oblak but are still in the race for Allison. 

Firmino said this about it when asked:

Firmino on Alisson: "Yes, he asked me about Liverpool and I hope he can arrive, but I know he has other proposals. It would not be bad if he came to Liverpool.”

It's not looking unlikely we'll get either. We've got serious interest in Allison... but I think Real Madrid are also interested.

And instead like we'll go in for Southhampton's McCarthy...

Which is fucking awful news tbh.

I'd rather take Navas off Madrid than sign another shite keeper, if Allison is going to go to Real Madrid. Because signing another shite keeper is just replacing shite with more shite.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's not looking unlikely we'll get either. We've got serious interest in Allison... but I think Real Madrid are also interested.

And instead like we'll go in for Southhampton's McCarthy...

Which is fucking awful news tbh.

I'd rather take Navas off Madrid than sign another shite keeper, if Allison is going to go to Real Madrid. Because signing another shite keeper is just replacing shite with more shite.

Yeah, reading Firmino's quotes it looks like we have put an offer on the table but seems like everyone else has as well. Just have to wait and see I suppose.  

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

just to clarify, Firmino's spoken to Alisson and that's okay.

But when Barcelona players spoke to Coutinho, that wasn't?

As I said at the time of the Coutinho saga (and it's there to be verified in the Coutinho thread in the La Liga subforums), I said that not only do ALL clubs tap players because they're not going to be stupid and go through an expensive and time consuming club-to-club negotiation process without first verifying if the player would actually entertain a move.  I also stated that players talking amongst themselves on a possible move was completely normal.

Tapping was thrown at Barça as a cardinal sin and players answering questions when pressed in press interviews (as Messi done yesterday in an interview with a Griezmann question consistently repeated) was also normal.  Everyone concedes that clubs making official statements to the media regarding a player that's contracted to another club is wrong and Barcelona had two culprits there on that one, something I also said was wrong.  But as we can see in that thread, everything was thrown at Barça!

29 minutes ago, Stan said:

just to clarify, Firmino's spoken to Alisson and that's okay.

But when Barcelona players spoke to Coutinho, that wasn't?

You really comparing Firmino saying itd be nice to play with Allison to the COUNTLESS  times that Barcelona players have been in the press talking about players wanting to 'come home' and the likes? 

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

You really comparing Firmino saying itd be nice to play with Allison to the COUNTLESS  times that Barcelona players have been in the press talking about players wanting to 'come home' and the likes? 

my point really alludes to what SirBalon said in his post - players get asked questions, sometimes hounded, in press conferences about transfer rumours of certain players.

The principle of it all remains the same. I'm not saying Firmino is in the wrong to say it'd be nice, or that Barca players were wrong either. Just that some fans think it's fine when their own players do something but when it's players of a club they don't like, it's not great...

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived