talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jan Oblak - Chelsea looking to activate €100m buy-out clause

So the latest on the Jan Oblak situation is that Real Madrid have entered the saga which will surely last all summer.  Portuguese sports newspaper 'A Bola' have this morning released an article claiming to be in the know as to what's happening in the background with the Slovenian goalkeeper.

Atlético Madrid have been negotiating his contract renewal for two months without success.  The apparent sticking point is that Oblak wants to know what's going to happen at Atleti for next season and it's not that he doesn't love life in Madrid or that he isn't happy at Atleti... On the contrary, he is very settled there and in principle doesn't want to move.  But he is ambitious and the rumours surrounding players like Antoine Griezmann has him on alert which coincides with when those rumours started and when the negotiations for his contract renewal commenced.

His current buy-out clause stands at €100m which coincides with the rumour on the apparent offer made by Liverpool FC to Atlético Madrid.  It is true that Liverpool have been in contact with Atlético, but the Madrid based club have told the Merseyside club that there will be no negotiations between clubs and that if they want to sign Jan Oblak, they'll have to convince him and revert to the buy-out clause.  This is something Liverpool don't want to do and apparently won't spend that much on the sort after keeper.

Enter Real Madrid... After two summers without spending that much in relation to their financial power, they are well known to be eternally looking to replace Costa Rican keeper Keylor Navas.  Their preferred choice is David de Gea which isn't new news, but that is impossible and more so after De Gea's latest statements that he's perfectly happy in Manchester.  So now the interest in Atleti's number 1, Jan Oblak.

Theres only one problem there... Anyone that moves from Atleti to Real will cause a storm, anyone that moves from one rival club to the other through a buy-out clause causes an all out war between fans and clubs due to it being seen as power aggression.  So that's the negative side to Oblak potentially moving across town from Atlético Madrid to Real Madrid.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Stan said:

just to clarify, Firmino's spoken to Alisson and that's okay.

But when Barcelona players spoke to Coutinho, that wasn't?

It clearly states that he asked Firmino about Liverpool does it not? :D

4 hours ago, Stan said:

just to clarify, Firmino's spoken to Alisson and that's okay.

But when Barcelona players spoke to Coutinho, that wasn't?

Nah I think it's fucked up. I also think it's fucked up how we keep tearing Southampton apart.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

So the latest on the Jan Oblak situation is that Real Madrid have entered the saga which will surely last all summer.  Portuguese sports newspaper 'A Bola' have this morning released an article claiming to be in the know as to what's happening in the background with the Slovenian goalkeeper.

Atlético Madrid have been negotiating his contract renewal for two months without success.  The apparent sticking point is that Oblak wants to know what's going to happen at Atleti for next season and it's not that he doesn't love life in Madrid or that he isn't happy at Atleti... On the contrary, he is very settled there and in principle doesn't want to move.  But he is ambitious and the rumours surrounding players like Antoine Griezmann has him on alert which coincides with when those rumours started and when the negotiations for his contract renewal commenced.

His current buy-out clause stands at €100m which coincides with the rumour on the apparent offer made by Liverpool FC to Atlético Madrid.  It is true that Liverpool have been in contact with Atlético, but the Madrid based club have told the Merseyside club that there will be no negotiations between clubs and that if they want to sign Jan Oblak, they'll have to convince him and revert to the buy-out clause.  This is something Liverpool don't want to do and apparently won't spend that much on the sort after keeper.

Enter Real Madrid... After two summers without spending that much in relation to their financial power, they are well known to be eternally looking to replace Costa Rican keeper Keylor Navas.  Their preferred choice is David de Gea which isn't new news, but that is impossible and more so after De Gea's latest statements that he's perfectly happy in Manchester.  So now the interest in Atleti's number 1, Jan Oblak.

Theres only one problem there... Anyone that moves from Atleti to Real will cause a storm, anyone that moves from one rival club to the other through a buy-out clause causes an all out war between fans and clubs due to it being seen as power aggression.  So that's the negative side to Oblak potentially moving across town from Atlético Madrid to Real Madrid.

We won't sign Oblak. To activate his release clause we need to pay all of that money in a lump sum. We won't pay that much as a lump sum, so we won't get him.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Do you think Oblak would actually have any interest in joining Liverpool? I don't really see it as a step-up for him and I would even argue he would be going to a lesser team. I'm sure Atletico could match any sort of wage Liverpool would offer him to. I can only imagine he would leave to go to the elite e.g Real, Barca, Juve etc.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nah I think it's fucked up. I also think it's fucked up how we keep tearing Southampton apart.

We won't sign Oblak. To activate his release clause we need to pay all of that money in a lump sum. We won't pay that much as a lump sum, so we won't get him.

That's what I thought mate...

most Spanish clubs are financially sound these days and Atlético Madrid most of all which means that anyone wanting to get any of their big players will have to resort to convincing that player and then activating the buy-out clause. As you said, activating a buy-out clause means paying every single cent into to the LFP who will then in turn pay it into the club in question's bank account.  This is why Neymar missed a couple of games at the start of last season because the RFEF (hadn't recieved permission from the LFP) hadn't had the go ahead from Barça who hadn't seen the money go into their bank account to the last cent.

Although these days since last April it's become cheaper to activate a buy-out clause in Spain.  Before not only did the buying club have to fork out the said amount in one lump sum, but then had to go to Spain's fiscal tax office and pay the VAT (tax) on that amount which on those prices stands at almost 50%.   Now it's just that amount and that's the end of it.

After the Neymar situation last season, every renewal in Spain from most of La Liga clubs means that they're putting almost prohibitive buy-out clauses like Barcelona done only two days ago with Samuel Umtiti who is now valued at €500m as his buy-out clause and practically forces any interested party to negotiate totally with the club.

3 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Do you think Oblak would actually have any interest in joining Liverpool? I don't really see it as a step-up for him and I would even argue he would be going to a lesser team. I'm sure Atletico could match any sort of wage Liverpool would offer him to. I can only imagine he would leave to go to the elite e.g Real, Barca, Juve etc.

The situation (as I explained in my previous post and one in another thread) surrounding Atleti right now is a sensitive one.  None of their players want to leave, but they're also ambitious and the rumours surrounding Griezmann is keeping many names on tender hooks.  As of the 1st of July Antoine Griezmann's buy-out clause goes from €200m down to €100m which is doable for some clubs and the other players that have contract renewals pending, are waiting to see what happens.

As you say, Atleti can match anything (salary wise) any other club can offer which is why they're reportedly offering Griezmann €25m per season to stay.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I thought the old buyout clauses were prohibitive until Neymar and the market going full retard.

Clubs that can fork out such lump sums are still acting upon it until PSG get punished if it happens.  It has destroyed the market, but it was destroyed years back by Chelsea firstly and then subsequently Manchester City. There's always a new wave of extreme actions until rules are adhered to.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Alex McCarthy is the only Goalkeeper I've seen that's worse than Wayne Hennessey. Please sign both.

Idk mate, we've had some truly bad keepers. We had this Italian lad who was backup to Reina for a bit... I forget his name, he was the first ever Italian to play for us. He only played a match or two but it looked like he'd just been beemed down from earth, put into a human suit, and only just learned what goalkeeping was right before we sent him out.

Honestly, other than Reina.... I can't remember the last time we had a "good" keeper. Dudek and Kirkland were both bang average, I'd say. Capable of good games and capable of costly errors - like what we've got now. And before that we had David James and Westerveld, neither of which I'd classify as good either.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Idk mate, we've had some truly bad keepers. We had this Italian lad who was backup to Reina for a bit... I forget his name, he was the first ever Italian to play for us. He only played a match or two but it looked like he'd just been beemed down from earth, put into a human suit, and only just learned what goalkeeping was right before we sent him out

Padelli? (or something of the sort) I remember him being signed and playing in a game where he looked clueless. That's really all I remember of him. It was definitely during Rafa's time though.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Padelli? (or something of the sort) I remember him being signed and playing in a game where he looked clueless. That's really all I remember of him. It was definitely during Rafa's time though.

Yeah something like that. I think he was given a game as backup to Reina and was terrible. I just looked him up and he's... at Inter now. 0 matches played for them though - but he did get a lot of appearances for Torino before losing his place to Joe Hart. So I think it's safe to say, he remains not very good.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/06/2018 at 18:04, Dr. Gonzo said:

Idk mate, we've had some truly bad keepers. We had this Italian lad who was backup to Reina for a bit... I forget his name, he was the first ever Italian to play for us. He only played a match or two but it looked like he'd just been beemed down from earth, put into a human suit, and only just learned what goalkeeping was right before we sent him out.

Honestly, other than Reina.... I can't remember the last time we had a "good" keeper. Dudek and Kirkland were both bang average, I'd say. Capable of good games and capable of costly errors - like what we've got now. And before that we had David James and Westerveld, neither of which I'd classify as good either.

Alex Mc Carthy has signed a new contract. You must be gutted you may end up with Oblak or Alisson instead. 

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

According to Mundo Deportivo Chelsea looking to activate Jan Oblak’s €100m buy-out clause!

It would be a backwards step for Oblak nowadays to be honest. If they did do so though, then you'd expect Atletico to lure Courtois back and it would be a win/win really since he was brilliant for them, just as OBlak has been. I prefer Oblak though myself, best keeper in the world for me.

If I was Oblak, I'd only move from Atletico if it was to join one of 2 clubs and they are Barcelona and City as nobody else looks in any better position than Atletico right now. Well apart from Real Madrid of course, but I didn't mention them for obvious reasons:- he would still have to live in Madrid and that wouldn't be a very nice experience for him considering how half the city would want to murder him .

Nobody in the Prem right now are any better than Atletico and I would in fact say that they are in a better position to win big things this season than any Prem club away from City. Bayern also look like they are going downhill more every year and I wouldn't say it would be worth it to move anywhere else as he's already in one of the world's best sides, playing under one of the World's best managers.

Just now, Cicero said:

Don't believe it. No way we will pay that nor would Oblak even want to come here. 

5 years ago he would have jumped at the opportunity, but Atletico have changed as a club in recent years and it's going to be very difficult to buy their players now. Even Griezmann turned down everyone and he could play in any side.

1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

5 years ago he would have jumped at the opportunity, but Atletico have changed as a club in recent years and it's going to be very difficult to buy their players now. Even Griezmann turned down everyone and he could play in any side.

If it does happen, it will be right up there with the Diego Costa and Filipe Luis transfers. 

• Subscriber

Hasn't Courtois just come out again and said he wants a move? Have Chelsea got a suitable replacement yet? I would imagine this would be a good swap but I can't see Atletico letting go of one of their best players.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived