talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

Ah!!! Anne Frank's house.

The ideal place to visit on a holiday.

11 hours ago, Toinho said:

Anne Frank House is best done about an hour before close time I reckon. Less people. 

I dont know about her house, but the ideal time to visit her and to be best done with her would've definitely been a hour before her close time.

Or would you've been too late, and there would've already been a lot of people? :35_thinking::ph34r:

20 hours ago, Toinho said:

Anne Frank House is best done about an hour before close time I reckon. Less people. 

I doubt I'll be going in there mate(too busy, maybe in the future), just getting a taxi from the hotel to there due to it being an easy destination to get to and a decent starting point, so to speak. Somewhere that is only 3.0 mile away from the hotel could take you on like a 6.5 mile journey to get there via taxi, so I thought that getting it to the Anne Frank would make the most sense as it's quick and easy to get to, while being close to where we want to be. Not to mention, from there, you can mooch about and check places out.

Getting one of those travel cards to get about on trams and trains if needed would make sense itself.

23 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Which hotel are you staying at, out of curiosity?

Hotel king's court it's called. It's nothing special, but is only for 2 days and is only for a place to get our heads down. We will barely be in there at all.

A 7 min train journey from the Airport and then a 15 mil tram ride(or about 10 mins in an uber) to where everything is at.

Googlemaps is one of the greatest inventions ever. How did we cope without it?

Edited by The Rebel CRS

Which is the closest decent German city to Amsterdam that could be gotten to on a train within, say, 2 hours? Düsseldorf perhaps? Dortmund? Are they worth the visit? @nudge, @Tommy

I'm going back there(Amsterdam) in Feb(on my own this time if nobody is up for it, I'm going whatever happens.), but I might have to extend my stay and visit Germany for the day, simply for the fact I've never been.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Which is the closest decent German city to Amsterdam that could be gotten to on a train within, say, 2 hours? Düsseldorf perhaps? Dortmund? Are they worth the visit? @nudge, @Tommy

I'm going back there(Amsterdam) in Feb(on my own this time if nobody is up for it, I'm going whatever happens.), but I might have to extend my stay and visit Germany for the day, simply for the fact I've never been.

It's probably more like 3-4 hours by train, Chris. I'd go to Köln instead if I were you. Or Eifel for nature.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

It's probably more like 3-4 hours by train, Chris. I'd go to Köln instead if I were you. Or Eifel for nature.

Düsseldorf is much nicer than Köln, but okay. I'd recommend Düsseldorf of course. Most people who visited say it's their favourite German City after Hamburg. 

Dortmund is not really spectacular. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Düsseldorf is much nicer than Köln, but okay. I'd recommend Düsseldorf of course. Most people who visited say it's their favourite German City after Hamburg. 

Geschmackssache... both are nice, I personally prefer Köln. Better beer in Düsseldorf though. I personally prefer Eifel region over everything else in Germany anyway; but that's because I'm just not into cities.

Just now, nudge said:

Geschmackssache... both are nice, I personally prefer Köln. Better beer in Düsseldorf though. I personally prefer Eifel region over everything else in Germany anyway; but that's because I'm just not into cities.

When was the last time you were here? So much as changed. Much friendlier for pedestrians and tons of new charm connected with the old. 

Here are some impressions for those interested: 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

When was the last time you were here? So much as changed. Much friendlier for pedestrians and tons of new charm connected with the old. 

Here are some impressions for those interested: 

A long time ago haha. Left Europe almost 5 years ago, last time in Germany probably 7 years ago. 

Just now, nudge said:

A long time ago haha. Left Europe almost 5 years ago, last time in Germany probably 7 years ago. 

Düsseldorf has changed it's face completely in the last decade. Even as a home town boy I don't recognize some places when I haven't been there for a while :D Mostly very positive though. The harbour region, the city center, the Rhine promenade, the subway stations, everything's completely new. Plus it's a small big city. Everything's easy to reach. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

Düsseldorf has changed it's face completely in the last decade. Even as a home town boy I don't recognize some places when I haven't been there for a while :D Mostly very positive though. The harbour region, the city center, the Rhine promenade, the subway stations, everything's completely new. Plus it's a small big city. Everything's easy to reach. 

I'm going to Europe in May/June, maybe I should fly via Düsseldorf then :D 

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

I command you to! :P

Haha, I'll consider it but it's a bit of a detour to be fair... Going to Switzerland on my way back for a few days most likely as well, so will see how much flexibility I have, both financially and timewise... Could do with an Alt and a proper Currywurst though!

• Administrator

May be heading to Dortmund in March with my mate for a long weekend. 

Any tips please? Restaurants, bars, points of interest... 

We will be looking to go to Signal Iduna Park to take in a game so will be on a weekend of one of their home games. Is it easy to get home tickets? 

@germancrew

@Tommy @nudge @Faithcore @Rucksackfranzose

@Viva la FCB @BartraPique1932

13 hours ago, Stan said:

May be heading to Dortmund in March with my mate for a long weekend. 

Any tips please? Restaurants, bars, points of interest... 

We will be looking to go to Signal Iduna Park to take in a game so will be on a weekend of one of their home games. Is it easy to get home tickets? 

@germancrew

@Tommy @nudge @Faithcore @Rucksackfranzose

@Viva la FCB @BartraPique1932

That's a job for Tommy. 

21 hours ago, nudge said:

I've checked and it's actually a lot further than I thought it would be, so fuck that idea off :ph34r:.

It would have been a good idea though had it been closer.

A day in Rotterdam would probably make more sense, or maybe even Alkmaar? @Panna King, @Panflute

Edited by The Rebel CRS