talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I've checked and it's actually a lot further than I thought it would be, so fuck that idea off :ph34r:.

It would have been a good idea though had it been closer.

A day in Rotterdam would probably make more sense, or maybe even Alkmaar?

Depends on what you're looking for Chris...

Rotterdam is not a particularly beautiful city (unless you like modern architecture), but I personally prefer it over Amsterdam. Good nightlife and friendly people. Less touristy.

Haven't been to Alkmaar, definitely go there if you like cheese though xD 

Near Amsterdam, you could go to Haarlem and Volendam. Both beautiful and a very local experience. If you're going in May you might as well check Keukenhof gardens in Lisse. Haven't seen anything like that before. Zandvoort is quite nice too.

I didn't really like The Hague.

Maastricht is very beautiful but it's in the south so a bit longer journey.

I spent about two years in North Holland and Friesland and loved it... Mostly for the nature and small towns/villages as there are no big cities there. Frisian islands are nice, but probably still a bit cold and windy in May.

13 minutes ago, nudge said:

Rotterdam is not a particularly beautiful city (unless you like modern architecture), but I personally prefer it over Amsterdam. Good nightlife and friendly people. Less touristy.

Near Amsterdam, you could go to Haarlem and Volendam. Both beautiful and a very local experience. If you're going in May you might as well check Keukenhof gardens in Lisse. Haven't seen anything like that before. Zandvoort is quite nice too.

I spent about two years in North Holland and Friesland and loved it... Mostly for the nature and small towns/villages as there are no big cities there. Frisian islands are nice, but probably still a bit cold and windy in May.

I've thought about going to Maastricht before, it looks cool and is also close to the belgian and german borders so I'd be able to visit 3 countries in one go. I've wanted to visit Liège for a while...but I'm not sure if there are any decent german cities nearby. Aachen?

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

I've thought about going to Maastricht before, it looks cool and is also close to the belgian and german borders so I'd be able to visit 3 countries in one go. I've wanted to visit Liège for a while...but I'm not sure if there are any decent german cities nearby. Aachen?

Yes, directly on the border. I only passed by a few times and that's a long time ago; so can't tell much about it to be honest. Would highly recommend Monschau as an alternative though; it's a small town but very beautiful...

53 minutes ago, nudge said:

Well I'm definitely not looking to go absolutely crazy and get fucked out of my head like on the last trip :ph34r:. It was eventful and one of the best weekends I've had, although I want to have a more chilled out trip there this time, which is why I decided to book it and go again. I went with a few lads last time, but if nobody is coming with me in Feb, I'm off on my own as there are things I want to experience there. I also think the tourism is what makes it an appealing place, as they aren't usually just ordinary tourtists, but crazy ones from literally everywhere in the world and you have a good laugh with many of them. Spoke to many in just a short trip, Americans, Greeks, Italians, Spanish, Algerians, Lebanese, Ghanians, Dutch(of course), tons of Irish, even a couple of Argies @Berserker.

I won't be going in May though unfortunately, as I'll be going down South fishing for a week then, although I'll bare it in mind for the future possibly. It would be a nice country to be in in general in May with all the tulips.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Well I'm definitely not looking to go absolutely crazy and get fucked out of my head like on the last trip :ph34r:. It was eventful and one of the best weekends I've had, although I want to have a more chilled out trip there this time, which is why I decided to book it and go again. I went with a few lads last time, but if nobody is coming with me in Feb, I'm off on my own as there are things I want to experience there. I also think the tourism is what makes it an appealing place, as they aren't usually just ordinary tourtists, but crazy ones from literally everywhere in the world and you have a good laugh with many of them. Spoke to many in just a short trip, Americans, Greeks, Italians, Spanish, Algerians, Lebanese, Ghanians, Dutch(of course), tons of Irish, even a couple of Argies @Berserker.

I won't be going in May though unfortunately, as I'll be going down South fishing for a week then, although I'll bare it in mind for the future possibly. It would be a nice country to be in in general in May though with all the tulips.

For some reason I thought you were going in May xD Disregard all the nature suggestions then; it's going to be way too cold and too grey to enjoy it. Spring is the best for that for sure... I'd probably go to Rotterdam then; that's the next logical choice for that time of year I think. 

23 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I won't be going in May though unfortunately, as I'll be going down South fishing for a week then, although I'll bare it in mind for the future possibly. It would be a nice country to be in in general in May with all the tulips.

They were amazed when you showed them the Spanish i taught you weren't they bro? :P

Just wait a few years and we'll do a super trip round Europe with a few lads from here like Eurotrip, thinking December/January would be a good date.

1 minute ago, Berserker said:

They were amazed when you showed them the Spanish i taught you weren't they bro? :P

Just wait a few years and we'll do a super trip round Europe with a few lads from here like Eurotrip, thinking December/January would be a good date.

There is an Argentine restaurant there. The steak smelt nice as fuck and I was planning on going back the next night, but was too rough and also forgot where it even was xD.

December next year, or this month?

1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

There is an Argentine restaurant there. The steak smelt nice as fuck and I was planning on going back the next night, but was too rough and also forgot where it even was xD.

Argentine meat is the best in the world, if it's genuine you'll love it.

No for sure not this month and most likely not next year, but a few years.

7 hours ago, nudge said:

Utrecht is a great place to visit if you do not want the tourists like Amsterdam but I think Amsterdam has a more cosy feeling to it, Amsterdam people are very friendly but you need to understand their sense of humour with the way they come across, but of course if you meet the city workers they are rude and cold who only have 1 thing in mind that is to get from A to B.   Rotterdam is actually a great city and is becoming one of the up and coming areas in Europe, really great modern things there but its a shame it did lose a lot of its real character thanks to the Luftwaffe :( 

5 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

There are like 100s of Argentine steak restaurants in Amsterdam xD

On 05/12/2018 at 18:35, The Rebel CRS said:

I doubt I'll be going in there mate(too busy, maybe in the future), just getting a taxi from the hotel to there due to it being an easy destination to get to and a decent starting point, so to speak. Somewhere that is only 3.0 mile away from the hotel could take you on like a 6.5 mile journey to get there via taxi, so I thought that getting it to the Anne Frank would make the most sense as it's quick and easy to get to, while being close to where we want to be. Not to mention, from there, you can mooch about and check places out.

Getting one of those travel cards to get about on trams and trains if needed would make sense itself.

Hotel king's court it's called. It's nothing special, but is only for 2 days and is only for a place to get our heads down. We will barely be in there at all.

A 7 min train journey from the Airport and then a 15 mil tram ride(or about 10 mins in an uber) to where everything is at.

Googlemaps is one of the greatest inventions ever. How did we cope without it?

My place in Amsterdam is like 10 minutes from Anne Frank house, its on The Singel if you walked there?  

8 hours ago, Panna King said:

My place in Amsterdam is like 10 minutes from Anne Frank house, its on The Singel if you walked there?  

I don't think we did in the end mate. I was stopping near the Lelylaan station, which is a while from the centre, but we got a tram to dam square then mooched around from there towards de wallen before everything got a little, let's say, messy. 

Nice hotel aswell for the price. It's a bit out of the way, but it was spot on. I might stay there when I go next time in feb, although fuck getting on a tram  ever again. Horrible experience xD.

Not really a "holiday" but I'm flying to Toronto this week as I need to get a few things done over there. Afterwards I'm flying back and then going to the Amazon rainforest, as I've stated previously.

50 minutes ago, Blue said:

Not really a "holiday" but I'm flying to Toronto this week as I need to get a few things done over there. Afterwards I'm flying back and then going to the Amazon rainforest, as I've stated previously.

Is Toronto a country? :35_thinking:

2 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I will be back in your City on the 11th Feb. It's all booked and I'm raring to go. @Panna King

Maybe see you about this time? Then I can speak to you in a Steve Mcclaren accent.

Be good mate! where are you staying?  in Amsterdam again?   could ask @SirBalon to indulge in the fun but as soon as you hit de Pijp area of Amsterdam he will be hanging about with the trendy hipsters :( 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Be good mate! where are you staying?  in Amsterdam again?   could ask @SirBalon to indulge in the fun but as soon as you hit de Pijp area of Amsterdam he will be hanging about with the trendy hipsters :( 

Related image

Yea mate, you don't need to be putting yourself through all that... 

Image result for hipsters gif

Highly likely you will not get chance to hook up with anyone either... 

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Yeah, in the same hotel as last time since I thought it was spot on. It's a a few mile from the centre, but not hard to reach everywhere.

I know a taxi driver now as well if I need to get back from somewhere and he doesn't rip you off like the others.

This will be a very different trip to the last one. Ajax/Real are actually playing the night I come back in fact, so I imagine there will be loads of Madridistas in town.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

2 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Yeah, in the same hotel as last time since I thought it was spot on. It's a a few mile from the centre, but not hard to reach everywhere.

I know a taxi driver now as well if I need to get back from somewhere and he doesn't rip you off like the others.

This will be a very different trip to the last one. Ajax/Real are actually playing the night I come back in fact, so I imagine there will be loads of Madridistas in town.

A lot will hang around around the de Wallen and visit the old sailor bar.