talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

14 hours ago, Marc said:

Are you from Lisbon @Machado any tips please? Going in April and hoping to go to Benfica v Vitoria Setubal

How much time you got? I'd recommend a day trip to both Sintra and Cascais. Go check Lisbon's Ocenarium, which is the best in the world, and if you want a very Portuguese experience, visit Mosteiro dos Jerónimos and Castelo de São Jorge, then have dinner at some restaurant with live Fado and eat anything with cod in it.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Toinho said:

Day trip to Sintra 

7 hours ago, Machado said:

How much time you got? I'd recommend a day trip to both Sintra and Cascais. Go check Lisbon's Ocenarium, which is the best in the world, and if you want a very Portuguese experience, visit Mosteiro dos Jerónimos and Castelo de São Jorge, then have dinner at some restaurant with live Fado and eat anything with cod in it.

I'm in Lisbon for 5 nights. Thanks. 

I'll pass on Ocenarium, I believe aquariums to be cruel.

I like the sound of Sintra. Cascias is a coastal town/village. Is that one of the best beaches near Lisbon?

Do you go to Benfica games? If so how easy is it for a tourtist to get tickets? I may as you this again nearer the time. I've not even looked online yet so may just be able to buy them on the Benfica website I guess.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Toinho said:

No :(

What’s the reason and where?

Expected that reaction xD 

Not sure yet as still working out planning.

Sydney and Melbourne are definitely on the list. Then Alice Springs and Uluru/Ayers Rock. 

Potentially another city like Adelaide or Canberra. 

Nothing for definite yet but it's likely to be a reality we head to that part of the world :) 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Expected that reaction xD 

Not sure yet as still working out planning.

Sydney and Melbourne are definitely on the list. Then Alice Springs and Uluru/Ayers Rock. 

Potentially another city like Adelaide or Canberra. 

Nothing for definite yet but it's likely to be a reality we head to that part of the world :) 

I’m sorry to hear that you’re not doing the glorious west. 

Canberra would be an utter waste of time in my opinion. Haven’t even been to Uluru but it’s on the bucket list. 

I would suggest almost anywhere in Queensland, I’m sure @Dannywould also highly recommend that state particularly in summer! 

How exciting though lad! 

• Like 1

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I’m sorry to hear that you’re not doing the glorious west. 

Canberra would be an utter waste of time in my opinion. Haven’t even been to Uluru but it’s on the bucket list. 

I would suggest almost anywhere in Queensland, I’m sure @Dannywould also highly recommend that state particularly in summer! 

How exciting though lad! 

Eh, I forgot to put Perth on the list. Think we discussed that as a way to break up the journey to the eastern side. Potentially to Dubai or Singapore, then on to Aus so Perth is just as realistic to be honest. 

I'd rather avoid @Danny :ph34r: 

I'm excited just thinking about it xD. Could be spending about 3 weeks there so will be one hell of a trip no doubt. 

• Like 1

I’ll be back in England by then mate. Yeah the classic backpacker route is the east coast, would recommend doing the Whitsunday Islands and Frasier Island, both absolutely amazing. Sydney is great, let me know how long you’re there for and I can give you some info on stuff to do if you need anything.

Having not been to Canberra I don’t feel like I’ve missed anything out there, as everyone says it’s shit 😂 

Perth/Fremantle is nice for a visit, lovely beaches and has Little Creatures brewery 😍

Definitely look into the East Coast, so much to do.

• Like 1

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Danny said:

I’ll be back in England by then mate. Yeah the classic backpacker route is the east coast, would recommend doing the Whitsunday Islands and Frasier Island, both absolutely amazing. Sydney is great, let me know how long you’re there for and I can give you some info on stuff to do if you need anything.

Having not been to Canberra I don’t feel like I’ve missed anything out there, as everyone says it’s shit 😂 

Perth/Fremantle is nice for a visit, lovely beaches and has Little Creatures brewery 😍

Definitely look into the East Coast, so much to do.

Won't be backpacking as will be a family holiday but thanks for the recommendations/advice anyway!

What are the islands good for? 

I think in the main cities, we'll be there for 5-6 days. Canberra was something we were considering so may scrap that xD

18 minutes ago, Stan said:

Won't be backpacking as will be a family holiday but thanks for the recommendations/advice anyway!

What are the islands good for? 

I think in the main cities, we'll be there for 5-6 days. Canberra was something we were considering so may scrap that xD

They’re fucking paradise is what they are. Crystal blue waters, softest sand in the world. Amazing.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Marc said:

I like the sound of Sintra. Cascias is a coastal town/village. Is that one of the best beaches near Lisbon?

Do you go to Benfica games? If so how easy is it for a tourtist to get tickets? I may as you this again nearer the time. I've not even looked online yet so may just be able to buy them on the Benfica website I guess.

Cascais (part of greater Lisbon) is not as lively as Lisbon but it is just as tourist-friendly and its city centre is arguably more charming. I love it there specially at night time. The village has a traditional feel because of the archtitecure and historic buildings and there are some very nice restaurants where you can get a privileged view to the ocean. It's a beautiful place to be honest, and indeed the beaches are the nicest in Lisbon. Hope you get good weather. Oh and the seafood is the freshest you'll ever eat.

Since you have 5 days you might want to check Portugal's nicest treat, a "pastel de nata", in a place called Pastéis de Belém, in Belém. It is the most reviwed eatery in the world.

I go to games frequently. It's very easy and cheap to get tickets. The stadium is rarely sold out against middle/bottom table sides, so you should be able to get tickets even in the day of the match. Most home games are routine wins so it's fun for a tourist I guess.

Edited by Machado
  • Thanks 1

I went to Lisbon in September 2017, think I even remember asking Machado at the time about the football but it was piss easy to get tickets. Friendly fans too.

Had a right result so far for this year. Going on a 4 night cruise to Amsterdam in March for the costly sum of £105 quid. And that's all food chucked in, as much as you want. Also going to Agadir in Morocco literally two days when we come back for a week. Think we paid £210 each for a week in a 4 star with flight's too. Never been to Morocco, not gonna lie, I was dubious but I've been talked round by the missus. Hotel and beach looks decent so initial impressions have been eased somewhat.

Got a stag do in Hamburg in June which will be another level given the crowd going. Hoping to get a trip to New York in this year as a treat for the missus but really confused as to when is best to go. Everyone always seem's to say before Christmas which I get but part of me thinks it's just as beautiful in spring or autumn. Still debating this one...

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Also going to Agadir in Morocco literally two days when we come back for a week. Think we paid £210 each for a week in a 4 star with flight's too. Never been to Morocco, not gonna lie, I was dubious but I've been talked round by the missus. Hotel and beach looks decent so initial impressions have been eased somewhat.

Went to Marrakech in May 2016. Lovely place, great people and great weather. 

Stayed at some Aqua Fun Park because it was cheaper - it was outside the main city, about 20-30 min taxi journey away but it was all-inclusive. Huge complex with about 4 different pools, 3 massive separate apartment blocks and about 5 or 6 restaurants. Not to mention the actual water-park itself which had so much to offer. 5-night stay at the princely sum of £55/night. Flights were only about £100 return as well as we went just before half-term so got decent prices. Literally the only downside was that it was Ryanair we had to fly on xD.

One thing you have to do when going Morocco is visit a/some of the Riads. They're like hotels but have an open courtyard area to dine/drink in or just chill out in. Highly recommend seeing them as you get to see real culture of the city/country. I'm sure there'll be loads in Agadir as well. 

Plenty of market stalls/bazaars no doubt as well.

• Upvote 1

I stayed in Estoril for some time in the 60s and have been back to there and to Cascais a few times since.  Lucky enough to see the great Eusebio once or twice at his best! The Train from Lisbon is cheap and a very easy way to get down the coast - I even remember getting a bunch of Carnations during the 'revolution' as I got on the train.  For me the Portuguese are on a par with my German friends - some of the nicest folks I know and wifey and I will be back again this year - probably anywhere between Faro and the bridge on the border with Spain - it's all worth a visit and much cheaper than most other European places.  Hope to get there in March and avoid having to go to the Etihad and watch my guys being humiliated by Leroy, Ilkay  and Kevin just to prove to the present loonies in charge how bad they really are this season!  Schade!

The missus has booked us on to a boat from Montreal to NYC in August - a week of nothing to do other than eat, drink and watch the BL  games in the morning

Edited by SchalkeUK

22 hours ago, Stan said:

Eh, I forgot to put Perth on the list. Think we discussed that as a way to break up the journey to the eastern side. Potentially to Dubai or Singapore, then on to Aus so Perth is just as realistic to be honest. 

I'd rather avoid @Danny :ph34r: 

I'm excited just thinking about it xD. Could be spending about 3 weeks there so will be one hell of a trip no doubt. 

Brisbane and Cairns are class to be fair.

Singapores a great stop over place.

Desperate to go back over to Australia this year, was supposed to go each of previous 2 years but fell through due to family illness.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
Just now, tommy_wafc said:

Brisbane and Cairns are class to be fair.

Singapores a great stop over place.

Desperate to go back over to Australia this year, was supposed to go each of previous 2 years but fell through due to family illness.

Nice cheers. Parents have been to Singapore and I haven't, I've been to Dubai and they haven't, so I'm hoping we choose the former as a stopover xD 

Was it only Brisbane/Cairns you went to when you last went?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Nice cheers. Parents have been to Singapore and I haven't, I've been to Dubai and they haven't, so I'm hoping we choose the former as a stopover xD 

Was it only Brisbane/Cairns you went to when you last went?

First time in 2010 was out for 3 months, Singapore>Albury(relatives house)>Melbourne>Sydney>Cairns>Townsville>Noosa>Brisbane>Hong Kong

2012 Singapore>Perth>Albury>Sydney only 4 weeks second time round, pushed my luck with work haha!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, tommy_wafc said:

First time in 2010 was out for 3 months, Singapore>Albury(relatives house)>Melbourne>Sydney>Cairns>Townsville>Noosa>Brisbane>Hong Kong

2012 Singapore>Perth>Albury>Sydney only 4 weeks second time round, pushed my luck with work haha!

First one is similar to our plans but much less time (can't have too long off work!).

Singapore > Melbourne > Sydney > Cairns or Brisbane > Alice Springs > Adelaide/back to Melbourne.

42 minutes ago, Stan said:

First one is similar to our plans but much less time (can't have too long off work!).

Singapore > Melbourne > Sydney > Cairns or Brisbane > Alice Springs > Adelaide/back to Melbourne.

Cairns is a good base for exploring islands, reef, forest, etc 

On 07/01/2019 at 19:35, Stan said:

Adelaide is awful, nothing there.

I really liked Brisbane as a city but not much to do for a tourist.

If you’re going to Australia you need to do the Great Barrier Reef (can do that from Cairns) and then as someone else said try do the Whitsundays and/or Fraser Island. It’s be far better than just seeing loads of cities. The cities are like European cities, the unique and stunning parts of Australia are Great Barrier Reef, Whitsundays, Fraser Island and various other coastal areas and beaches. I didn’t actually go but Uluru as well. Personally Uluru didn’t fascinate me though and it takes ages and it’s costly to get to.

On 07/01/2019 at 10:12, Lucas said:

I went to Lisbon in September 2017, think I even remember asking Machado at the time about the football but it was piss easy to get tickets. Friendly fans too.

Had a right result so far for this year. Going on a 4 night cruise to Amsterdam in March for the costly sum of £105 quid. And that's all food chucked in, as much as you want. Also going to Agadir in Morocco literally two days when we come back for a week. Think we paid £210 each for a week in a 4 star with flight's too. Never been to Morocco, not gonna lie, I was dubious but I've been talked round by the missus. Hotel and beach looks decent so initial impressions have been eased somewhat.

Got a stag do in Hamburg in June which will be another level given the crowd going. Hoping to get a trip to New York in this year as a treat for the missus but really confused as to when is best to go. Everyone always seem's to say before Christmas which I get but part of me thinks it's just as beautiful in spring or autumn. Still debating this one...

I personally think autumn would be the best time of year to go to NYC. The city gets hot as hell in the summer time and starts to smell from the garbage.

I am hoping to get to France, Prague or somewhere in Scandinavia during 2019. Most likely spend a little time in England as well if possible to see Arsenal and some family. 

Edited by EastSixth

Got back home. Was an absolutely sensational trip and I'd recommend the Amazon to anyone. I didn't get to do a whole ton of jungle trekking but I did see my fair share of wildlife and I'm happy I did. We had some luck at the Rio Branco university at the end and saw alligators, capybaras and piranhas. 

It was a tiring trip though. A lot of travelling. One day we were in a car for about 8 hours due to the distance between Rio Branco and Puerto Maldonado. Also, one thing I learned on this trip is that Brazil is dangerous no matter where you are. Rio Branco at night was empty because people are scared of crime.

Here are a few snaps. Btw @El Profesor here is proof that Acre exists ;) 

0e1d1a82d0e615fe1b056c39278a70e2.png

f40d50ec8f8acc3baeeece4f434f0118.png

c8f2e3e87e63be15eec06bd597d9f6f0.png

ce2b2da891f7e3a003d7ca4513071a10.png

6230fdfc7490631e5344f31ac2b60ecc.png

35ba7877c4815e5af68b046fa292b8c6.png