talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

On 28/12/2019 at 10:05, Berserker said:

Yeah, it's a good time to go to the coast, the water here is perfect when is over 30c because otherwise it's pretty cold so when it's too hot it has the perfect temp.

Do you never go and visit other South American countries mate? Or never thought of heading to the Caribbean or Mexico?

18 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Do you never go and visit other South American countries mate? Or never thought of heading to the Caribbean or Mexico?

I was going to travel through half of South America on a motorbike through Brazil and to Isla Margarita in Venezuela, Caribbean last year. But then our currency massively depreciated and our economy crashed and also been involved in a big house reno, and none of these situations are finished yet, thought it was gonna be a good year but it's been shit so far like last year. You know how it it's in construction, the guy gives you a budget and when he's supposed to be finished he says it wasn't enough, need 20% more, and does so again. Once that fucking situation is resolved (don't wanna put deadlines, ended up dissapointed several times this year) i'll be in a much better position and will make that trip.

Edited by Berserker

1 minute ago, Berserker said:

I was going to travel through half of South America on a motorbike through Brazil and to Isla Margarita in Venezuela, Caribbean last year. But then our currency massively depreciated and our economy crashed and also been involved in a big house reno, and none of these situations are finished yet, though it was gonna be a good year but it's been shit so far like last year. You know how it it's in construction, the guy gives you a budget and when he's supposed to be finished he says it wasn't enough, need 20% more, and does so again. Once that fucking situation is resolved (don't wanna put deadlines, ended up dissapointed several times this year) i'll be in a much better position and will make that trip.

Ye, that's a good point mate. Travelling around isn't cheap and especially if your currency isn't the greatest. Even though our currently has took a big dent over the years, it still works out being the strongest, so we are still lucky in that regard, even though everything doesn't work out as cheap as it used to. If I wanted exchange pounds for 500 euros, it would cost me £435 currently, so while it's not as great as it was in the past, it would be far worse if it was the other way around and you received 435 euros for 500 quid.

9 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Ye, that's a good point mate. Travelling around isn't cheap and especially if your currency isn't the greatest. Even though our currently has took a big dent over the years, it still works out being the strongest, so we are still lucky in that regard, even though everything doesn't work out as cheap as it used to. If I wanted exchange pounds for 500 euros, it would cost me £435 currently, so while it's not as great as it was in the past, it would be far worse if it was the other way around and you received 435 euros for 500 quid.

Yeah, it in the 90s it was great in that regard here, 1-1 with the dollar, everyone going on holidays and shopping to Miami hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to Hawaii very soon. Due to personal problems, I rather just relax there and forget about everything. As a result, I've scrapped my original idea of going to Molokai and I'm not doing Niihau as I didn't like these news of Helicopter crashes in Hawaii. There was 3 in 2019.

Still, will be a fun time.

2 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I landed in the cocos islands last night. The runway doubled as a golf course. There’s only WiFi in a handful of places. So far this place is stunning. Heard there’s only 120 residents or so on the main island. Lovely. 

Wow! How much did that cost, if you don't mind me asking?

1 minute ago, Vader said:

Wow! How much did that cost, if you don't mind me asking?

It’s only a 4-5 hour flight from Perth. Think it was around $900 return, and $1300 for a week’s accommodation 30 metres from the Indian Ocean. 

Going to explore today and hopefully get some good snaps. 

Very humid etc. Hoping no storms pass through 

Just now, Toinho said:

It’s only a 4-5 hour flight from Perth. Think it was around $900 return, and $1300 for a week’s accommodation 30 metres from the Indian Ocean. 

Going to explore today and hopefully get some good snaps. 

Very humid etc. Hoping no storms pass through 

This isn't the island with the crab invasions right? :D 

Now for some serious thoughts!

March is my Golden Wedding and I am trying to think of somewhere a little special and different - not too costly, but not cheap - to save having a party at home and get away for a nice quiet time somewhere  nice and warm. Some of you must have mums and adds who did something special and memorable.  Any ideas will be seriously considered.  I Know there is a game at the Veltins, and Man City also are engaged over that weekend, but no footy for a week - please!

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

March is my Golden Wedding and I am trying to think of somewhere a little special and different - not too costly, but not cheap - to save having a party at home and get away for a nice quiet time somewhere  nice and warm. Some of you must have mums and adds who did something special and memorable.  Any ideas will be seriously considered.  I Know there is a game at the Veltins, and Man City also are engaged over that weekend, but no footy for a week - please!

I know it's UK-based (if you become that way inclined to visit...) but my parents went to York for a weekend and absolutely loved it. (temperature may let you down on that one though!)

Contrastingly, but altogether still great, they've been to Seville for a few days. Cheap flights and decent accommodation and a beautiful city to match. 

Neither were an anniversary trip but a nice holiday away at not an expensive cost.

Thanks Stan for your suggestions, but York is only 20 miles away and we spent some time in Seville with Ivan and Raquel after he left 04 and opened his Tapas bar there.  Both have been great for us in the past, but madame wants somewhere new which is why it's going to be somewhat difficult.  Very, very grateful for your kind consideration!

Edited by SchalkeUK

1 hour ago, SchalkeUK said:

Djerba? Fethiye?

6 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

I wanted to recommend Prague or Budapest, but since you prefer a warm destination Morocco might be more what you're looking for.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

14 hours ago, Stan said:

Wait, you know Ivan Rakitic?!

When he came from Switzerland to Gelsenkirchen I was occasionally still going to Bergefeld for a few weeks each year and with former students (Manu, Benny and Joel - Mesut had already gone to Bremen, but his dad, Mustafa, was always around) we used to get together after training.  Magrat's operation ruined the side and it broke up and when Ivan went off to Seville we kept in touch and sometimes called in when we were in other parts of Southern Spain on holiday - particularly to see how Dinain - his Bar which future wife Raquel looked after - was doing.  Great place for Tapas!

When little Althea was born in 2013 he sent me a nice pic of the three of them and I still carry it in my wallet to this day - great guy - super family man (now with two little girls) and needless to say - a superb footy man.  Sometimes the strangest things happen and you get to meet young guys who remain friends for a long time!

Edited by SchalkeUK
  • Upvote 1