talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

37 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

When he came from Switzerland to Gelsenkirchen I was occasionally still going to Bergefeld for a few weeks each year and with former students (Manu, Benny and Joel - Mesut had already gone to Bremen, but his dad, Mustafa, was always around) we used to get together after training.  Magrat's operation ruined the side and it broke up and when Ivan went off to Seville we kept in touch and sometimes called in when we were in other parts of Southern Spain on holiday - particularly to see how Dinain - his Bar which future wife Raquel looked after - was doing.  Great place for Tapas!

When little Althea was born in 2013 he sent me a nice pic of the three of them and I still carry it in my wallet to this day - great guy - super family man (now with two little girls) and needless to say - a superb footy man.  Sometimes the strangest things happen and you get to meet young guys who remain friends for a long time!

Who/what are you?

7 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Just a lucky guy who has had a long life being in the right places at the right time!

Oh, with how you worded it you made it sound like you either were their teacher, went to school with them or did the youths with them or maybe were an agent or something, even though some of that options are impossible given i know you are some decades apart from them. xD

4 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Oh, with how you worded it you made it sound like you either were their teacher, went to school with them or did the youths with them or maybe were an agent or something, even though some of that options are impossible given i know you are some decades apart from them. xD

I spent some time in Radio in the 50s and 60s and then became a teacher in UK but in the 80s and later went to Lille, Waregem and Gelsenkirchen on occasional weeks/month as a cover English teacher.  Still go sometimes to meet up with old friends and have organised the local exchange group for years until we all got too old, but my first 1949 visit to Castrop got me with young mates who were all young 'Knappen' it just went from there really! Oh - and I work on the principal that you're never too old for anything!!!

Edited by SchalkeUK
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

I spent some time in Radio in the 50s and 60s and then became a teacher in UK but in the 80s and later went to Lille, Waregem and Gelsenkirchen on occasional weeks/month as a cover English teacher.  Still go sometimes to meet up with old friends and have organised the local exchange group for years until we all got too old, but my first 1949 visit to Castrop got me with young mates who were all young 'Knappen' it just went from there really!

Nice! That sound fun.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

When he came from Switzerland to Gelsenkirchen I was occasionally still going to Bergefeld for a few weeks each year and with former students (Manu, Benny and Joel - Mesut had already gone to Bremen, but his dad, Mustafa, was always around) we used to get together after training.  Magrat's operation ruined the side and it broke up and when Ivan went off to Seville we kept in touch and sometimes called in when we were in other parts of Southern Spain on holiday - particularly to see how Dinain - his Bar which future wife Raquel looked after - was doing.  Great place for Tapas!

When little Althea was born in 2013 he sent me a nice pic of the three of them and I still carry it in my wallet to this day - great guy - super family man (now with two little girls) and needless to say - a superb footy man.  Sometimes the strangest things happen and you get to meet young guys who remain friends for a long time!

That's so cool. 

Especially that he's taken the time to keep in touch with you too.

On 24/01/2020 at 14:51, Vader said:

Hawaiian journey is coming to an end. Here are a few snaps

Luau

221604505a6e63b799910fb8c929a199.jpg

Haleakala

d2f23acb2a943d437e75fcb3cd0271a0.png

c427b7eb22650b4474b98d3784efc48a.png

afd2a8804790eb70149dd11246c652d2.jpg

487bd22275324918d93065a34eba0029.png

Nakalele

f529dcdc2f921fc664f61fcbf382445f.jpg

4b07a72f514e6290016ef66c2cfa70e7.png

Failed attempt at a sunset

ca478c266bfb0711cff1010479b09693.png

The landscape

d95c02d8d2fcb5f714cdd2c5bdc30a94.jpg

And 2 more of the whales

16c0b1b8de9cf9939971d04c5acac1a3.png

ffc1cb25f7d4119aa4fd450ad3b67192.jpg

Might have overdone it with the photos, but what the hell xD

So many whales migrate near my part of the world but I don’t know if I’ve ever gone and checked them out. On my bucket list. 

Sorry if you’ve mentioned it already but did you go to Oahu Island? 

6 hours ago, Toinho said:

So many whales migrate near my part of the world but I don’t know if I’ve ever gone and checked them out. On my bucket list. 

Sorry if you’ve mentioned it already but did you go to Oahu Island? 

Unfortunately not, I wanted to go to a less urbanized area like Maui.

I had so much on my list for this trip but I was only able to do so little. I'll be back soon, going to Kuaui and Molokai next time.

6 hours ago, Vader said:

Unfortunately not, I wanted to go to a less urbanized area like Maui.

I had so much on my list for this trip but I was only able to do so little. I'll be back soon, going to Kuaui and Molokai next time.

Did you go solo? 

I’d love to get back to Hawaii. 

Looking for a bit of inspiration. 

Got a weekend free in March for a long weekend somewhere in Europe.

Between the both of us we've been to Barcelona, Amsterdam, Dublin, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Madrid, Budapest, Lisbon and Sofia.

Drawing a bit of a blank so far but would like to go somewhere different.

I've been looking at Tallinn, Lake Bled in Slovenia and possibly Austria, like Vienna or Salzburg but I'm not sure. Maybe even Bruges?

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Looking for a bit of inspiration. 

Got a weekend free in March for a long weekend somewhere in Europe.

Between the both of us we've been to Barcelona, Amsterdam, Dublin, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Madrid, Budapest, Lisbon and Sofia.

Drawing a bit of a blank so far but would like to go somewhere different.

I've been looking at Tallinn, Lake Bled in Slovenia and possibly Austria, like Vienna or Salzburg but I'm not sure. Maybe even Bruges?

If Bruges is the outcome let me know how it goes. I'd like to go there and would like recommendations of what to do/where to go.

Aside from that, San Sebastian is one of my favourite places. Plenty to do over a long weekend and you won't get bored. Could even tie in with a Real Sociedad match? 

I'd recommend Valencia but perhaps may need longer than long weekend. Definitely still enough to do if you did choose to go. 

How about Copenhagen? Expensive but only about an hour's flight so plenty of time to actually be there instead of up in the air.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Stan said:

If Bruges is the outcome let me know how it goes. I'd like to go there and would like recommendations of what to do/where to go.

Aside from that, San Sebastian is one of my favourite places. Plenty to do over a long weekend and you won't get bored. Could even tie in with a Real Sociedad match? 

I'd recommend Valencia but perhaps may need longer than long weekend. Definitely still enough to do if you did choose to go. 

How about Copenhagen? Expensive but only about an hour's flight so plenty of time to actually be there instead of up in the air.

I'm going to have a good look this weekend and next week with a view to booking something by end of next weekend. Will consider what you've suggested along with the others. 

Ideally, it would have been Iceland but going to save that for another time and try look into when the best time to see the Northern Lights is.

That and New York are two of our 'must do's'. But I'm saving NY for possibly a 'special occasion'. xD

19 hours ago, Stan said:

I

I had the idea of Hamburg after Barcelona, but since I've been going through like 5/6 years of material lately to get my Spanish back to how it was a few years back(then continue where I left off), I might as well go somewhere else in Spain when I come back.

País Vasco does sound like a plan. Bilbao/San Sebastian joint trip. I don't know though, I change my mind all the time. But since France fishing definitely won't be happening this year due to my mate only having his small car now, then I may as well go to other places. Amsterdam with the lads is going to happen at some-point soon as well as we were on about it.

On another note, it's 18 degrees in Barcelona today, so the weather should be decent enough when I'm there next month. It certainly should better weather than here atleast anyway.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

• Administrator
9 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

It will be cold at night mate.

24 degrees here in the south, went up to the roof earlier and thought it was summer for a second.

What's Madrid like mid Feb time? Checked on 14 day forecast and saw it was 16 degrees but not sure how accurate or reliable that is... 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

What's Madrid like mid Feb time? Checked on 14 day forecast and saw it was 16 degrees but not sure how accurate or reliable that is... 

That's about average there. It gets quite cold in the north of Spain mate which people don't always expect, would definitely take a jacket. I'm acclimatised to the weather here in the south so it would seem colder to me anyway. I went to Barcelona in Feb last year, I went up in a big coat whilst my mates (all coming from London) took nothing warm at all but some of them ended up buying jumpers and that. It will be warm during the day (t-shirt weather for us back home in the UK whilst the Spaniards will be in big coats and scarves) but as soon as that sun goes in, it will be cold even for us Brits. I'm actually heading up north (near Madrid) next weekend, I'll let you know. 

Are you going to Madrid then?

Edited by carefreeluke

I definitely won't be taking only t-shirts and will take a few sweaters, a jacket and couple of hoodies.

I'm not even going to bother with taking shorts either, just jeans as it won't be that hot I wouldn't expect. More your typical early spring weather, although that's how I'm hoping it will be to be honest. I love it when it's sunny but not hot. 15-20 degrees is perfect if you want to go exploring.