talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Agreed. Think Italy are planning to open up their international borders in a couple of weeks. Several other countries around Europe probably follow suit if they haven't done so already. 

We've got Malta booked in September so hoping we'll be fine there (their case/death levels has remained very low throughout all of this). I don't care about coming back and having to isolate for 7-14 days. I'd just love a holiday after all of this dies down xD 

Yeah, most European countries are already making arrangements to reopen the borders and to revive the tourism industry, so unless there's a huge new outbreak somewhere, I think a holiday in Europe (for Europeans) will be possible in a few months. Definitely harder to predict for outside of Europe though - but since a lot of economies and livelihoods depend on it, I reckon they'll also try to get it up and running as soon as possible again. 

28 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I love a holiday but I’m not planning anything. Experts over here reckon international air travel won’t return to pre-COVID-19 levels until 2023. 

And @Carnivore Chris it’s 19 because that’s when it started. 

Ye I've given up planning, but they were the plans pre-covid, or atleast a rough idea.

22 hours ago, nudge said:

I am used to long haul flights (but still hate them with passion), so anything less than 15 hours sounds great, really 😂

How are rail networks in South America? If they're good, then it's another option, but I don't think it's a viable way of easily traveling through numerous countries there? 

You should check out Season 2 of BBC's The Race Across the World, by the way. It's all South America. A great watch... 

15 hours? Jesus 😂, I would literally crack up on a 15 hour flight. It would be even worse if having to wear a mask also, which will likely be the new future. 

I'm not sure about the rail networks there, but @Inti Brian will surely know as he has been everywhere in that part of the world. Taking a train is certainly a better option than flying though if the option is there. Not only more leg room and comfort but you can open windows and you see many sights on your journey. You don't have to wait for hours before setting off either.

I will have to check that out on bbc as that sounds interesting. 

30 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, most European countries are already making arrangements to reopen the borders and to revive the tourism industry, so unless there's a huge new outbreak somewhere, I think a holiday in Europe (for Europeans) will be possible in a few months. Definitely harder to predict for outside of Europe though - but since a lot of economies and livelihoods depend on it, I reckon they'll also try to get it up and running as soon as possible again. 

So dumb. Edit: hopefully it’s all much calmer by then though. For the sake of sanity.

Edited by Toinho

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Italy opening up borders? Madness. Fucking madness around the world. 

Italy is taking a "calculated risk" as it moves to further ease its coronavirus lockdown measures, PM Giuseppe Conte has admitted.

He said "the contagion curve" could rise again, but the country could not afford to wait for a vaccine.

Mr Conte announced that travel to and from Italy, and between the country's regions would be allowed from 3 June.

I'd imagine it's not just free movement for all who visit. Essential travel only still and anyone going to Italy probably still has to self-isolate/quarantine.

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'd imagine it's not just free movement for all who visit. Essential travel only still and anyone going to Italy probably still has to self-isolate/quarantine.

That statement doesn’t indicate any of what you said? Would make sense that those parameters would be the first in place though. Returning Italians etc maybe 

• Subscriber

From June 3rd Italy will drop the quarantine requirement for people arriving from certain countries, namely:

- The 26 other members of the European Union

- Schengen Area members Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

- The United Kingdom

- Andorra, Monaco, San Marino and Vatican City

Tourists arriving from these countries will not face any restrictions upon entering Italy, though depending on their own country's rules they may be required to quarantine when they return home.

Likewise Italian residents can make a trip to any of these countries without being required to quarantine when they return to Italy. 

The restrictions are based on where you're departing from or travelling to, not on your nationality.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Italy opening up borders? Madness. Fucking madness around the world. 

24 minutes ago, Toinho said:

So dumb. Edit: hopefully it’s all much calmer by then though. For the sake of sanity.

I don't think it's that simple. Numerous countries depend on tourism, it's a huge part of their GDP and hundreds of millions of livelihoods depend on it. So it's understandable that they need to start reopening gradually, I don't think it's dumb - they simply can't afford not to. 

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

I don't think it's that simple. Numerous countries depend on tourism, it's a huge part of their GDP and hundreds of millions of livelihoods depend on it. So it's understandable that they need to start reopening gradually, I don't think it's dumb - they simply can't afford not to. 

It has to happen eventually I know. So many out of work here, and I can’t imagine what it’s like in Italy, Spain, England etc. Those are the types of countries that should be the last to reopen. The financial hit is catastrophic but surely reopening in these very hard hit countries - it’ll just cause the world to have a second wave if done prematurely? 

I guess people’s health only matters for as long as a country can afford it... 

Edited by Toinho

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

From June 3rd Italy will drop the quarantine requirement for people arriving from certain countries, namely:

- The United Kingdom

Tourists arriving from these countries will not face any restrictions upon entering Italy, though depending on their own country's rules they may be required to quarantine when they return home.

Likewise Italian residents can make a trip to any of these countries without being required to quarantine when they return to Italy. 

The restrictions are based on where you're departing from or travelling to, not on your nationality.

Missed this. Yep my comment on dumb stands. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Toinho said:

That statement doesn’t indicate any of what you said? Would make sense that those parameters would be the first in place though. Returning Italians etc maybe 

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

- The United Kingdom

Just now, Toinho said:

Missed this. Yep my comment on dumb stands. 

Yeah fair enough xD 

Anyway, I digress, I’ve derailed this. 

I would be looking at trying to go up North of Australia when I can or potentially to NZ for snow if that’s open within the next few months! 

Edited by Toinho

4 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Ye I've given up planning, but they were the plans pre-covid, or atleast a rough idea.

15 hours? Jesus 😂, I would literally crack up on a 15 hour flight. It would be even worse if having to wear a mask also, which will likely be the new future. 

I'm not sure about the rail networks there, but @Inti Brian will surely know as he has been everywhere in that part of the world. Taking a train is certainly a better option than flying though if the option is there. Not only more leg room and comfort but you can open windows and you see many sights on your journey. You don't have to wait for hours before setting off either.

It's different for every country, but it's mostly bus travel.

Colombia you must fly though. The roads there are the worst in South America, and the mountain terrain is pretty rough so the only option there is flying really.

5 hours ago, Toinho said:

I love a holiday but I’m not planning anything. Experts over here reckon international air travel won’t return to pre-COVID-19 levels until 2023. 

And @Carnivore Chris it’s 19 because that’s when it started. 

Yeah I agree, and that is precisely my fear because going to Peru now will be stupidly expensive. It's usually $600 CAD from Toronto.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

To be honest it's not that bad, depends on the airline and their service a lot. As someone who's quite tall, I do struggle with leg room, but other than that, it's tolerable as long as I get half decent food, alcohol, and access to a few movies. I do try to sleep as much as possible, but sometimes it just doesn't work... 

I love train travel. The Transsiberian Railroad journey is definitely still on the cards for the future...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nudge said:

To be honest it's not that bad, depends on the airline and their service a lot. As someone who's quite tall, I do struggle with leg room, but other than that, it's tolerable as long as I get half decent food, alcohol, and access to a few movies. I do try to sleep as much as possible, but sometimes it just doesn't work... 

I love train travel. The Transsiberian Railroad journey is definitely still on the cards for the future...

Best way would be to starve yourself of sleep the night before so that you sleep for most of the flight. 

South America on a bus would be rough. They won't have roads like in Germany anyway...

I'm actually surprised you've never been to Spain, Portugal, Italy or Greece. Saying that I've only been to 2 of those(Spain and 4 of its Islands and Greece) but heavy tourism aside, there is so much natural beauty and fascinating architecture there, while only being a short flight away. It's almost blasphemy for someone such as yourself who has travelled alot xD

2 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Yeah I agree, and that is precisely my fear because going to Peru now will be stupidly expensive. It's usually $600 CAD from Toronto.

Where is the best city to visit in Southern Canada that would be quick to reach from New York? Toronto itself? Montreal? 

Every country(other than 2) that I want to visit, and haven't already, are outside Europe and even then I'd personally rather see more of Spain than go to a random European country just for the sake of it. 

Most countries would be in the Americas to be honest, South, north and Carribbean.

In terms of Asia, Thailand would be amazing for fishing and India for the people.

Kenya in Africa would be amazing, but it's too dodgy nowadays. 

Australia is too far, but that would be amazing I'd have thought aswell. 

Saying that, anywhere outside of Europe won't be happening for a while now, due to a financial blow and boarders potentially being closed for quite a while, so I should focus on on Europe being back open and stop dreaming :ph34r:

It's not like there isn't a choice: Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, all the islands that surround those countries, Cyprus, Switzerland..

Edited by Carnivore Chris

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I'm actually surprised you've never been to Spain, Portugal, Italy or Greece. Saying that I've only been to 2 of those(Spain and 4 of its Islands and Greece) but heavy tourism aside, there is so much natural beauty and fascinating architecture there, while only being a short flight away. It's almost blasphemy for someone such as yourself who has travelled alot xD

Most of my traveling in Europe were road trips by car... Southern Europe being the farthest away from me, it usually wasn't the ideal destination for that, and for longer holidays I generally prefered other destinations outside of Europe. 

22 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Where is the best city to visit in Southern Canada that would be quick to reach from New York? Toronto itself? Montreal? 

Quebec City and Halifax.

I love Toronto but there's nothing really unique about it.

22 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

South America on a bus would be rough. They won't have roads like in Germany anyway...

I've been on many bus trips in South America and it depends on the roads you take. it can be dangerous admittedly but some of the scenery seen in the Andes can be breathtaking.

The roads in Peru are surprisingly solid. They are just a bit long and of course can be dangerous in the mountains itself. 

Argentina and Chile's roads I'm sure are solid, where as in Brazil they are a mess. I remember when I crossed the Peru-Brazil border, the highway was full of holes after where as in Peru they were impeccable.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Quebec City and Halifax.

I love Toronto but there's nothing really unique about it.

Ever been to Shediac? I have friends there that I might visit some day. Heard the seafood there is amazing...

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

Ever been to Shediac? I have friends there that I might visit some day. Heard the seafood there is amazing...

Gonna be completely honest with you, I've never even heard of the place xD

I've never been to New Brunswick either. I would love to go to St Pierre and Miquelon though which is a french overseas territory.

If you want my opinion on the Canadian cities I've been:

Quebec City: Most European city in the country. It's a really sound place and architecturally brilliant 

Toronto: Most North American City in the country. It's a wonderful place to live but it's kind of overshadowed by New York in my opinion.

Vancouver: Gave me real Auckland vibes. It's so similar as there's nowhere near as many people on the streets as Toronto, and quite a calm place in general.

Terrace: You can insert any town of similar stature in BC here really. I went to visit a friend and I loved it, but it's definitely not "unique". I heard the best town of this type in BC is Kelowna.

Iqaluit: Damn expensive, but it's the closest you'll get to an arctic feel with natives and a completely different culture. It's also quite a nice town in itself. 

Montreal: Overrated in my opinion, but still not a bad place.

Winnipeg: Absolute shithole.

Hamilton: Also a bit of a shithole but the main downtown is nice and has a lot of cool stores. If you stop by Toronto I would recommend checking it out.

Niagara Falls: Way better on the Canadian side. The USA side is a massive shithole. It's really an amusement park, lots of games and things to do here just without the roller coasters.

Gaspesie: Out in the middle of nowhere. Wonderful place to go to if you want to get away from the more urbanized Quebec City or Montreal. Kind of like Terrace. Not as obscure but more out in the sticks I'd say.

Ottawa: It's basically our own Washington DC.

I'm not including suburbs mind or towns in the GTA area that are really all the same. Hamilton isn't a suburb so I included them.

Edited by Inti Brian
  • Upvote 1