talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

I am planning routes myself too!

It's not a good idea, especially when my mental health is getting worse. Just makes me want 2021 to come around or for this whole covid19 shit to be done and over with xD

For me it's the other way around - it actually makes me feel better as I find the process of planning future trips relaxing, for some reason. The problem is going down the rabbit hole and researching new destinations and things to do until early morning hours :4_joy: I'll probably make a road trip next month, if everything goes according to plan...

• Upvote 2

Just now, nudge said:

For me it's the other way around - it actually makes me feel better as I find the process of planning future trips relaxing, for some reason. The problem is going down the rabbit hole and researching new destinations and things to do until early morning hours :4_joy: I'll probably make a road trip next month, if everything goes according to plan...

I'm going camping with the fam on July 17th, so I'm on that boat. As I told you as well, also keen on a canoe trip but I want to try somewhere really far north here in Ontario where the forests are way more interesting than the boring standard ones we have here.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gona just head straight to Colombia instead of Mexico or USA aswell. USA isn't appealing enough 

Mexico is too fucked up and you're limited in where you can go. Cancun looks shit and Puerto Vallarta looks nice but not as nice as Colombia. Besides, the Colombian coast looks mint(Cartagena, Santa Marta..), a lad I used to work has a missus from there and is heading back to Medellín when he can and I've actually been video calling and texting a Colombian woman on whatsapp for the past month(don't ask...) and if I'm still in touch with her by then, I'd take her with me...that's not the reason for going though, as I've been thinking of it for a while and especially during the lock down.

I just wanna go to the Americas and that seems the best suited country these days as Mexico and Brazil are too fucked. My savings have taken a blow as well so I need to be realistic and focus on 1 country. For 3 weeks probably. 

A mix of Latin and Carribbean culture. Got to have your wits about you over there but I'll just dress down and buy 2 mobiles for if I get mugged, which is just a what if, and to be fair could happen anywhere. And money there goes along way so I'll make sure to not carry too much at a time. The Spanish will help aswell of course. Depending on the covid, next year is the aim. March maybe? Feb?

also if I do get robbed at some point do you reckon they will be reasonable and let me keep the sim?:ph34r: on a serious note, it should be alright.

@Mpache @Berserker

As for this year, I'm still thinking of Andalucía, barring the covid shit, and will probably go in Oct as it'll be too busy now. Spring and Autumn in Spain anyday. 

Edited by Carnivore Chris

12 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I'm gona just head straight to Colombia instead of Mexico or USA aswell. USA isn't appealing enough 

Mexico is too fucked up and you're limited in where you can go. Cancun looks shit and Puerto Vallarta looks nice but not as nice as Colombia. Besides, the Colombian coast looks mint(Cartagena, Santa Marta..), a lad I used to work has a missus from there and is heading back to Medellín when he can and I've actually been video calling and texting a Colombian woman on whatsapp for the past month(don't ask...) and if I'm still in touch with her by then, I'd take her with me...that's not the reason for going though, as I've been thinking of it for a while and especially during the lock down.

I just wanna go to the Americas and that seems the best suited country these days as Mexico and Brazil are too fucked. My savings have taken a blow as well so I need to be realistic and focus on 1 country. For 3 weeks probably. 

A mix of Latin and Carribbean culture. Got to have your wits about you over there but I'll just dress down and buy 2 mobiles for if I get mugged, which is just a what if, and to be fair could happen anywhere. And money there goes along way so I'll make sure to not carry too much at a time. The Spanish will help aswell of course. Depending on the covid, next year is the aim. March maybe? Feb?

also if I do get robbed at some point do you reckon they will be reasonable and let me keep the sim?:ph34r: on a serious note, it should be alright.

@Mpache @Berserker

As for this year, I'm still thinking of Andalucía, barring the covid shit, and will probably go in Oct as it'll be too busy now. Spring and Autumn in Spain anyday. 

Haha hope you have a great time bro, but if you choose Colombia then be very careful given you've discarded Mexico and Brazil for being dangerous i think, Colombia isn't different. There must be some places that are supposedly less dangerous than others, ask locals before you go and stay within those places and specific neighbours. That about carrying 2 cellphones is a great idea, just have a shitty one (but not too much so the robbing cunts don't think you're taking the piss out of them) to hand in case you're robbed and hide the actual one in your underwear or something. xD

46 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Haha hope you have a great time bro, but if you choose Colombia then be very careful given you've discarded Mexico and Brazil for being dangerous i think, Colombia isn't different. There must be some places that are supposedly less dangerous than others, ask locals before you go and stay within those places and specific neighbours. That about carrying 2 cellphones is a great idea, just have a shitty one (but not too much so the robbing cunts don't think you're taking the piss out of them) to hand in case you're robbed and hide the actual one in your underwear or something. xD

Well there are more "safer" spots to go to in Colombia these days I think than Mexico, more options to go to that are nicer. In Mexico you're looking at the likes of Cancun, which is just hotels and beaches if we are honest or Puerto Vallarta, which looks nice, with the whole Mexican feel, but not a whole lot to do. In Colombia you could go to Medellin and then head to the Caribbean coast and get the best of both worlds.

But to be fair, they say it's more muggings/pickpockets you need to watch out for nowadays than the likes of kidnappings because the latter's not really been a thing since 2002. I'd actually say Police worry me the most in the majority of Latin American countries(well in the USA as well), they are corrupt cunts who would do what they can to extort a tourist.

But still, millions go there every year and are sound(other than the pickpockets and scams that can happen), so fuck it. Let's go!

2 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Well there are more "safer" spots to go to in Colombia these days I think than Mexico, more options to go to that are nicer. In Mexico you're looking at the likes of Cancun, which is just hotels and beaches if we are honest or Puerto Vallarta, which looks nice, with the whole Mexican feel, but not a whole lot to do. In Colombia you could go to Medellin and then head to the Caribbean coast and get the best of both worlds.

But to be fair, they say it's more muggings/pickpockets you need to watch out for nowadays than the likes of kidnappings because the latter's not really been a thing since 2002. I'd actually say Police worry me the most in the majority of Latin American countries(well in the USA as well), they are corrupt cunts who would do what they can to extort a tourist.

But still, millions go there every year and are sound(other than the pickpockets and scams that can happen), so fuck it. Let's go!

Well you wouldn't have to worry about police here, they don't do that to tourists, only taxis in the airport would try to scam you, but that's easily avoidable, just take a remis, cabify or beat. And they wouldn't know you're a tourist unless you start speaking Dutch or something with other people haha. But yeah Colombia must be better than in the past, so i wish you have a hell of a time mate. Make good use of those Spanish classes i gave you and pick up some girls with our awesome and sexy Argentine accent and slang. ;)

4 hours ago, Berserker said:

Well you wouldn't have to worry about police here, they don't do that to tourists, only taxis in the airport would try to scam you, but that's easily avoidable, just take a remis, cabify or beat. And they wouldn't know you're a tourist unless you start speaking Dutch or something with other people haha. But yeah Colombia must be better than in the past, so i wish you have a hell of a time mate. Make good use of those Spanish classes i gave you and pick up some girls with our awesome and sexy Argentine accent and slang. ;)

They actually use some of same words as you as I've noticed from speaking to a Colombian on whatsapp video calls. I didn't even understand her at first but she's learnt to speak slower xD.

As I said, a lad from around here who I know has a missus over there and has an apartment so when he's out in Medellin, that is someone I know and if that bird stays in touch, she can come along to the coast.

As for danger, is a lot not just the news making countries look worse? It's easy to watch the news and see a bunch of kids shooting each other in a street, but then you watch youtuber travel videos and everything looks much different. You can tell watching videos that the streets are edgy at night, but the night-life and general people seem friendly. It's more muggings/pick pockets to watch, but even then, there are loads in Europe so you just need to use your wits.

The cost out there is ridiculously cheap. You could spend like £20 a day there, it's only the equivalent of £2 for a meal that would cost more like £14 here. When you're in Europe, spending less than £100 a day is seen as saving, well atleast for me.

@Berserker my dad lived in Colombia (Barranquilla) about 10 years before I was born, during their darkest era. He told me he's felt safer in Colombia than in Peru. And I don't ever feel in danger in Peru, while I use common sense!

That said, Peru was also in a bit of a civil war in the late 80's/early 90's (not really official but it was basically that). So hard to compare. In terms of crime though Colombia has it but is overall safer than Peru is as a whole from what I gather. I haven't been in over 15 years, but would like to go back.

Just use common sense, go in groups and you'll be OK @Carnivore Chris

28 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

They actually use some of same words as you as I've noticed from speaking to a Colombian on whatsapp video calls. I didn't even understand her at first but she's learnt to speak slower xD.

As I said, a lad from around here who I know has a missus over there and has an apartment so when he's out in Medellin, that is someone I know and if that bird stays in touch, she can come along to the coast.

As for danger, is a lot not just the news making countries look worse? It's easy to watch the news and see a bunch of kids shooting each other in a street, but then you watch youtuber travel videos and everything looks much different. You can tell watching videos that the streets are edgy at night, but the night-life and general people seem friendly. It's more muggings/pick pockets to watch, but even then, there are loads in Europe so you just need to use your wits.

The cost out there is ridiculously cheap. You could spend like £20 a day there, it's only the equivalent of £2 for a meal that would cost more like £14 here. When you're in Europe, spending less than £100 a day is seen as saving, well atleast for me.

Yes they do, but they sound weird with their accent haha.

Well they are indeed dangerous compared to say many Asian or European countries, but it's true that for example in England stabbings are not so strange now and in many countries in Europe there is the risk of potential terrorist attacks where that is much less likely in Southern America.

Wow 3K pounds a months? you earning that well mate?;  i thought that was a pretty good wage over there in the UK; and much more in most countries in Europe; i thought many ppl on the UK were on much lower wages from what many of the forum lads have said over the years, something like 1,5k or less than 2k per month.

Edited by Berserker

Just now, Berserker said:

Yeah, and many other Central Americans or Caribbeans  also use voseo and it sounds equally bad haha.

If you're talking about speaking "de vos" some parts in Peru also use it. Mostly in the Andes. Cajamarca apparently talks like that, according to my godmother in Peru who is from there originally. It's few and far between though. In Cusco, Huancayo and Arequipa they don't speak like that but still have a different accent compared to Lima.

2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

If you're talking about speaking "de vos" some parts in Peru also use it. Mostly in the Andes. Cajamarca apparently talks like that, according to my godmother in Peru who is from there originally. It's few and far between though. In Cusco, Huancayo and Arequipa they don't speak like that but still have a different accent compared to Lima.

It's called voseo, look it up, and that's surprising, didn't know some ppl spoke like that in Peru.

Just now, Berserker said:

It's called voseo, look it up, and that's surprising, didn't know some ppl spoke like that in Peru.

I've always called it "hablando de vos" or "hablando de tu".

And yes, I looked it up to confirm! In Peru they speak it in Cajamarca and in Arequipa (despite saying they didn't, they do)

335b46599a36f9733c1ed95a615a3f78.png

26 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I've always called it "hablando de vos" or "hablando de tu".

And yes, I looked it up to confirm! In Peru they speak it in Cajamarca and in Arequipa (despite saying they didn't, they do)

335b46599a36f9733c1ed95a615a3f78.png

Lol they use it wrongly, overly exaggerated, for example "es para vos" it's okay but not "es de vos", "es tuyo/suyo" would be the correct phrase.

• Upvote 1

On 24/06/2020 at 19:58, Mpache said:

Yeah, the paisa accent in Medellin! :D 

As for barrios, not all are that bad anymore.

It just shows change can be made. Hopefully all barrios and favellas in South America are like this one day.

A lot of it comes down to the media and the news also. They make the world sound a scarier place than it is.

On 24/06/2020 at 19:56, Berserker said:

Yes they do, but they sound weird with their accent haha.

Well they are indeed dangerous compared to say many Asian or European countries, but it's true that for example in England stabbings are not so strange now and in many countries in Europe there is the risk of potential terrorist attacks where that is much less likely in Southern America.

Wow 3K pounds a months? you earning that well mate?;  i thought that was a pretty good wage over there in the UK; and much more in most countries in Europe; i thought many ppl on the UK were on much lower wages from what many of the forum lads have said over the years, something like 1,5k or less than 2k per month.

No, I meant when you go on holiday in Europe mate(after saving money), not general day to day life. I wish I was on 3 grand a month xD  You spend that amount as you're always doing something, eating out, drinking(or smoking that good stuff), buying stupid shit you wouldn't normally buy, tipping waitresses and barmaids, etc and you can spend shitloads of money easily doing this, although in general day to day life this is obviously not the case.

You're right with stabbings though, it's actually plagued with them in this country, although most of that affects young lads stabbing each other over bullshit. Also terrorist attacks can happen in any big city in Europe now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/07/2020 at 13:09, MUFC said:

Is there a country you've always wanted to visit but never got round to going? You even go as far as plan to go but end up choosing another destination.

Brazil and Jamaica were always the 2 and then it started to become more Mexico and Colombia. The latter is the one that is the top of my list now and had it not been for covid, I'd actually have been travelling to those 2 countries(Mexico and Colombia) and would have been planning it now ready for the end of this year/beginning of next. Covid has been a bit of a financial blow though so it's about focusing on one country a time now and Colombia is the one.

It's not that I haven't gotten around to going but never had anyone who is up for going and I didn't dare go on my own. People say they are up for going, but never are when it comes to the crunch. But now I've gone away on my own in Europe a few of times(Spain and Netherlands), I now have more confidence to go on my own if I have to. In the end, you meet people anyway. Fuck it, you only live once.

As for holidays, of the 2 fellas I'm working with, one is going away to Croatia in a few weeks and the other one will likely have a week off. If so, then I'll have to have a week off myself, so I might fuck off somewhere in a couple of weeks, I'm going to have a look about now. Even just for 4 days. Only problem is, it's too packed at this time of the year. March-May and October are the best times to go away I think. It might not be as hot, but it's far better.

12 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

So there is an 80% chance I'll be booking Malaga for the 27th June to 1st July(in 2 weeks), barring the other fella I work with as I'd have no real need to go in that week.

Actually forget this, you've got to wear masks in the street now as of Monday. What a ridiculous rule. If it's that unsafe to travel there that you have to wear a mask as if you're in Cherynobl, then boarders shouldn't even be open. All it is is greed. Boarders shouldn't even be open if that's how the rules are.

5 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Actually forget this, you've got to wear masks in the street now as of Monday. What a ridiculous rule. If it's that unsafe to travel there that you have to wear a mask as if you're in Cherynobl, then boarders shouldn't even be open. All it is is greed. Boarders shouldn't even be open if that's how the rules are.

Why should the borders be closed? It's not like they force people at gun point to go there. If somebody is willing to take the risk and travel there, and are prepared to take the planned protective measures, what rightful reasons would they have to forbid it?

Citizen's aren't toddlers and the state isn't their nanny.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Why should the borders be closed? It's not like they force people at gun point to go there. If somebody is willing to take the risk and travel there, and are prepared to take the planned protective measures, what rightful reasons would they have to forbid it?

Citizen's aren't toddlers and the state isn't their nanny.

Why quote that part but not the part after it? The part you quoted makes no sense on its own as that wasn't the point.

If boarders are open then people should have a choice whether they wear a daft mask or not. In shops it's fair enough, but not while walking on a street,in a park or anywhere else outside.

If it's that extreme then it's pointless having boarders open for tourists full stop as walking around with masks on in 38 degree heat where your head goes brown and face pale white is hardly the idea of fun is it? They just want your money, forget your experience. I'd assume all responsibility. Same with anyone else. You can't force people to wear a mask outside. 

Either way if people aren't toddlers and the state aren't their nanny, then why are they telling people to wear masks as if we are toddlers and they are our nanny?

• Upvote 1