talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

We would do something like a Thursday to Monday or Friday to Tuesday I imagine.

We both love the outdoors, investigating the sites, scenery, walks and things like that.

From what I see Switzerland is very picturesque and right up our street.

Look at Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen as one of the options, any other towns/villages in the Jungfrauregion are similarly great as well, but smaller with less options. You can quite easily move between them though without spending a fortune on transportation.

If you want more city experience, I'd go to Lucerne if I were you.

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

Look at Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen as one of the options, any other towns/villages in the Jungfrauregion are similarly great as well, but smaller with less options. You can quite easily move between them though without spending a fortune on transportation.

If you want more city experience, I'd go to Lucerne if I were you.

I think Lucerne would perhaps be a good base with day trips to the likes of which you mentioned and above. That way we probably get the best of both worlds. Lucerne in itself, looks bloody beautiful to be fair.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I think Lucerne would perhaps be a good base with day trips to the likes of which you mentioned and above. That way we probably get the best of both worlds. Lucerne in itself, looks bloody beautiful to be fair.

Sounds good! If you plan taking quite a few trips during your time there, consider getting the Berner Oberland Regional Pass, as transportation is expensive and it will save you a lot of money!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Sounds good! If you plan taking quite a few trips during your time there, consider getting the Berner Oberland Regional Pass, as transportation is expensive and it will save you a lot of money!

Brilliant tip, thank you very much, I'll definitely look into that.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

@Carnivore Chris UK has reinstated the 14 day quarantine for travellers returning from Spain.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53540691

Yeah I saw that.

I'm hoping it should be fine for the Netherlands  though as they aren't recording as many cases as it stands. It's the other way I'm worried about, and the Netherlands reimposing a 2 week quarantine on Brits just before going there xD. It can also quickly change as there doesn't seem to be much social distancing happening in Amsterdam now judging by those live cameras, although at the same time it doesn't look near as packed as usual.

I've noticed with Amsterdam also that there is one flight a day from Manchester at the moment and 0 from Liverpool, while there used to be 3 from Manchester and 3 from Liverpool, so that means less people are travelling there atleast. There also hasn't been any on Saturdays, which is usually a day in which there would be a lot flying there.

This is why I decided not to go to Spain as you could see it coming. It's where everyone goes at this time of the year and not to mention, they are always much more strict there than in most other countries in Europe so you'd have more chance of ending up stuck in some hotel somewhere there, and if you go out, the guardia civil end up smashing you with batons 😂. Netherlands is more relaxed, so it's less risky in this regard. 

Edited by Carnivore Chris
  • Haha 1

All that Switzerland talk! Been to Europe many times but still haven’t been there. Parents and sister have, and rate it highly.

While I’m dreaming of a holiday, my top 5 countries to visit over my life time are:

1. Canada - ideally for snowboarding.
2. Switzerland

3. Peru - Machu Picchu 

4. Brazil - Rio, Amazon, and Iguazú Falls.

5. Iceland 

Honestly don't know why you'd bother at the moment. Even if you get to go it wouldn't be a holiday with all the restrictions. Obviously if you've already booked it's a bit different but I wouldn't be booking anything now

We're supposed to be going to Greece in September, originally it was for June but I moved it when we had the opportunity. Greece seems to be coping with it fairly well and the hotel is reopening in August so I'm hopeful it will go ahead. I'll definitely go unless they cancel it, cost an absolute fortune and even at the time I knew it was silly money, serves me right really.

It's pretty much normal here in the Dam. In fact the quality of weed is better and cheaper.

There's tourists but I've actually spoke to mainly Dutch people on this trip and it feels more like a Dutch city. It's not over crowded. It's how all cities should be and tourism needs cutting down. Spain need to do the same!

Only things not open are nightclubs but I'm.too.old for them anyway.

I'm definitely bringing a rod next time. Spoke to a fella yesterday fishing and it only costs 4 quid a year to fish all the canals. It would be an interesting 5 hours or so one day. @SirBalon 69

Only downside to this city, as always, is that money just goes. You can spend 100 euros before even reaching the hotel 😂

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

It's pretty much normal here in the Dam. In fact the quality of weed is better and cheaper.

There's tourists but I've actually spoke to mainly Dutch people on this trip and it feels more like a Dutch city. It's not over crowded. It's how all cities should be and tourism needs cutting down. Spain need to do the same!

Only things not open are nightclubs but I'm.too.old for them anyway.

I'm definitely bringing a rod next time. Spoke to a fella yesterday fishing and its course only 4 quid a year to fish all the canals. It would be an interesting 5 hours or so one day. @SirBalon 69

Only downside to this city, as always, is that money just goes. You can spend 100 euros before even reaching the hotel 😂

Thanks for all our invites mate. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

There's still flights from Luton for today mate!

Haha I know mate, I actually had a browse to see where Luton were flying to the other day! Some decent options but not much annual leave left aside from what's already booked :( 

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

Haha I know mate, I actually had a browse to see where Luton were flying to the other day! Some decent options but not much annual leave left aside from what's already booked :( 

Only reason I'm here is because the 2 fellas I work.with are off this week and I didn't want to be sat at home.

Lovely weather here. It's like May in Spain. 

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

What's the airport and flight experience like, @Carnivore Chris? Temp checks? Masks? Form filling upon arrival/departure? 

Masks throughout the flight but you can take it off to have a drink or snack, no temperature checks at all and they didn't even ask me for the health declaration form 😕.

On the train to the airport, I was the only one on the train between Bolton and Manchester airport. The busiest train route in the north west was a ghost Train. The airport was quiet compared to normal and the flight took about 20 mins less than normal. 

Only need masks here on public transport, other than that I haven't seen anybody wearing one really. No more than you would pre covid where the odd Chinese person has one on.

• Like 1

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Masks throughout the flight but you can take it off to have a drink or snack, no temperature checks at all and they didn't even ask me for the health declaration form 😕.

On the train to the airport, I was the only one on the train between Bolton and Manchester airport. The busiest train route in the north west was a ghost Train. The airport was quiet compared to normal and the flight took about 20 mins less than normal. 

Only need masks here on public transport, other than that I haven't seen anybody wearing one really. No more than you would pre covid where the odd Chinese person has one on.

Is the health declaration form a thing in Netherlands though? 

I'm presuming you'll have to fill one out on the way back on return to UK. 

What are cafes and bars like in terms of how busy they are? 

On 25/06/2020 at 06:43, Carnivore Chris said:

As for barrios, not all are that bad anymore.

It just shows change can be made. Hopefully all barrios and favellas in South America are like this one day.

A lot of it comes down to the media and the news also. They make the world sound a scarier place than it is.

No, I meant when you go on holiday in Europe mate(after saving money), not general day to day life. I wish I was on 3 grand a month xD  You spend that amount as you're always doing something, eating out, drinking(or smoking that good stuff), buying stupid shit you wouldn't normally buy, tipping waitresses and barmaids, etc and you can spend shitloads of money easily doing this, although in general day to day life this is obviously not the case.

You're right with stabbings though, it's actually plagued with them in this country, although most of that affects young lads stabbing each other over bullshit. Also terrorist attacks can happen in any big city in Europe now.

Strangely i never got this notification you had quoted me mate. And yeah that sounds more like it, being on vacation you spend like 3x more money than you normally would on the same amount of days.

On 25/07/2020 at 20:57, Toinho said:

All that Switzerland talk! Been to Europe many times but still haven’t been there. Parents and sister have, and rate it highly.

While I’m dreaming of a holiday, my top 5 countries to visit over my life time are:

1. Canada - ideally for snowboarding.
2. Switzerland

3. Peru - Machu Picchu 

4. Brazil - Rio, Amazon, and Iguazú Falls.

5. Iceland 

The Iguazu falls are located for the most part in Argentina, specially the best part of it. Garganta del Diablo, the falls with the biggest flow in the world.

18 minutes ago, Berserker said:

The Iguazu falls are located for the most part in Argentina, specially the best part of it. Garganta del Diablo, the falls with the biggest flow in the world.

Alright I’ll pop into Argentina for a day. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Is the health declaration form a thing in Netherlands though? 

I'm presuming you'll have to fill one out on the way back on return to UK. 

What are cafes and bars like in terms of how busy they are? 

Yeah, I filled one out and printed it before I came but they didn't ask for it.

Cafes and bars are as normal from what I've noticed. But the odd coffeeshop is take out only.

Not been down the red light area yet and today I've done nothing but sit in parks getting stoned and eating shit food from McDonald's. Too warm to walk around.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, nudge said:

@Mel81x what's the best town in Goa to spend a month or two? Preferably some place quieter, less crowded, but still not completely dead? Or are there better choices than Goa for that?

Well in Goa there are good places to hit like the far side of Anjuna (little outside) if you want some quiet but if you want some real quite on a budget hit something like Agonda in South Goa. You'll get some quiet and enjoy the nice beaches and a lot of local flavour.

For the other options try Pondicherry (if you want a beach) or the Himachal Pradesh area if you want mountains. Is there a budget around this?