talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

Going to East Germany in 2 weeks. For four days and mainly because Fortuna Düsseldorf plays there against Erzgebierge Aue. But it will be my first time in the "former GDR", and I'm curious to check out the surroundings and nearby cities. Chemnitz and Zwickau are close by. Might even be worth to travel to the Czech Republic for a day, as it's very close as well. 

Also might try to chuck in a few days at the North Sea in October. 

Next year I'll probably travel abroad again. Either back to Croatia or something completely new. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/08/2021 at 23:45, Lucas said:

We just got a cheap Premier Inn in Poole ans then took the chain ferry from Sandbanks over to Studland, Swanage, Corfe and ended up at Lulworth/Durdle Door 

IMG_20210721_194747_924.jpg

Went there when I was about 19, camping with a couple of friends.

Remember us going down to the beach there and walking out in the water just about to mid shin level when all of a sudden a freak wave knocks us all down. It also had a really strong under current dragging you out.

I was ok yet didn't know the other two couldn't swim.....

I got out after the second wave hit and then saw the others floundering a bit further out yet they got back a little shocked.

After this can understand why some people do get into trouble at the coast. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Tommy said:

Sorry I'm not from Tatooine like you. 

You should be sorry and appreciate how easy it is for you to travel and see cool shit. I'm giving you an F- on this report.

Drive five hours in Australia
Yep still in Queensland
Drive another five hours
Yep it's still Queensland
Drive from Brisbane to Cairns
Yep sure is 20 hours of Queensland

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Spike said:

You should be sorry and appreciate how easy it is for you to travel and see cool shit. I'm giving you an F- on this report.

Drive five hours in Australia
Yep still in Queensland
Drive another five hours
Yep it's still Queensland
Drive from Brisbane to Cairns
Yep sure is 20 hours of Queensland

30 minute drive and I'm in the Netherlands. 

2 1/2 hours flight and I'm on Mallorca.

1 1/2 hour flight and I'm in Croatia. 

4 hours flight and I'm in Malta. 

5 hours flight and I'm in Morocco. 

So yea, driving across the country for 6 hours was never exactly a priority. But I'm still very glad for the experiences I've had doing it. And I do actually need to see much more of my own country indeed. 

15 hours ago, Tommy said:

30 minute drive and I'm in the Netherlands. 

2 1/2 hours flight and I'm on Mallorca.

1 1/2 hour flight and I'm in Croatia. 

4 hours flight and I'm in Malta. 

5 hours flight and I'm in Morocco. 

So yea, driving across the country for 6 hours was never exactly a priority. But I'm still very glad for the experiences I've had doing it. And I do actually need to see much more of my own country indeed. 

Took me 2 days of driving to get from Ohio to Wyoming back in the summer when I took the family to Yellowstone and Grand Teton.  Crazy drive and it makes you realize how big the US is.  I had been to Mexico and the Bahamas, but never out west in my own country.

16 hours ago, Tommy said:

So, just got back from Eastern Germany (Saxony). My first time in the former German Democratic Republic, and I didn't know what to expect. I was a kid when the Berlin Wall came down, and since then I always heard things about the Eastern Germans, and a lot of negative stigma too. I have to say I was absolutely positively surprised how friendly and warm harted the people were there. Super friendly and funny. 

Anyway, the town I stayed in, Bad Schlema, was small, but rich in history. It used to be a uranium ore mining town, and after they stopped mining, the whole place was radioactively contaminated. So they just put 8 meters of soil on top of it, to contain the radioactivity. So a big part of the town used to be a lot lower. 

You can still see the mountains in the background of the sign. But the whole town was just demolished and they put 8 meters of soil on top of it and turned it into a park. 

Tu7dQRZ.jpg

y90i9mD.jpg

Quite a beautiful park too. 

afsCxnt.jpg

Then I visited Zwickau, which seriously has one of the most beautiful old towns centers I've ever seen. Lots of beautiful old buildings, mixed with modern stuff, great gastronomy and just beautiful beer gardens were you could sit down and enjoy the vibe of the city. 

7EGlgIQ.jpg

fxyMtKK.jpg

gQmMqzg.jpg

ASdErPs.jpg

NOgl43R.jpg

Another citiy I've visited was Chemnitz. It had a nice enough city center with beautiful old buildings.

FGpEMfP.jpg

Gr9xib9.jpg

g4xr0V7.jpg

The Red Tower is the oldest building in town, from the late 12th century:

s4PEmE0.jpg

But as soon as you left  the city center, you could tell that it has it's rough parts too. 

They had a huge Karl Marx momument in the middle of the city, it was put up in the 70s, when the GDR was in full swing:

LNlxRlu.jpg

But also some cute penguins:

MU4QAfT.jpg

So yea, very interesting trip, especially when it comes to history. I ate at a Restaurant in a building that was a preschool for kids of the Soviet occupiers in the 50's. 

Will definitely go back and explore more one day. 

Anyway, here's a bonus pic of a cat that lived across the street from my flat, that I watched every morning. 

CtohlnM.jpg

PS: Oh yea, I was there for Erzgebirge Aue vs. Fortuna Düsseldorf. But I kinda forgot that I was there since I experienced so much else. 😂

I'm not seeing any of the pictures.  Is there a setting that I can adjust?  It's just showing up as HGvtZ.jpg (or something similar).

• Sad 1

What's happening now as of October? Do you not have to take a test before you go and when you come back anymore? It's all confusing to me xD. But if you don't have to fuck around having so many tests with the new regulations, then I'm going to go to South Spain on the 18th October as I have a week off work. @Stan

@nudge where you at currently?

Edited by Carnivore Chris

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

What's happening now as of October? Do you not have to take a test before you go and when you come back anymore? It's all confusing to me xD. But if you don't have to fuck around having so many tests with the new regulations, then I'm going to go to South Spain on the 18th October as I have a week off work. @Stan

@nudge where you at currently?

To go to Spain, you need either a negative test or proof of vaccination, and you have to fill in a Health Control Form (Formulario de Control Sanitario) a day before your flight (they send you a QR code, and they check it on departure and arrival).

I'm currently in Greece.