talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

Just now, nudge said:

Is this a capybara? :o 

Indeed.

It was incredible actually - it was at the university by the river, and at one point it swam across the river which we thought it was leaving. 5 minutes later, it came back with 4 more Capybaras!

I'd imagine they found some food and decided to bring his family, or if not then just other capybaras. Regardless, it was an occurence I doubt I'll ever get to see again. It was wild.

5 hours ago, Blue said:

Got back home. Was an absolutely sensational trip and I'd recommend the Amazon to anyone. I didn't get to do a whole ton of jungle trekking but I did see my fair share of wildlife and I'm happy I did. We had some luck at the Rio Branco university at the end and saw alligators, capybaras and piranhas. 

It was a tiring trip though. A lot of travelling. One day we were in a car for about 8 hours due to the distance between Rio Branco and Puerto Maldonado. Also, one thing I learned on this trip is that Brazil is dangerous no matter where you are. Rio Branco at night was empty because people are scared of crime.

Here are a few snaps. Btw @El Profesor here is proof that Acre exists ;) 

0e1d1a82d0e615fe1b056c39278a70e2.png

f40d50ec8f8acc3baeeece4f434f0118.png

c8f2e3e87e63be15eec06bd597d9f6f0.png

ce2b2da891f7e3a003d7ca4513071a10.png

6230fdfc7490631e5344f31ac2b60ecc.png

35ba7877c4815e5af68b046fa292b8c6.png

Good stuff. Hope you enjoyed your visit. :)

This isn't even going to be close to a holiday but I'm off to China for work in exactly a week and I've just learned that the cops there conduct random raids on bars where foreigners hang out and demand urine tests. And then if you test positive for drugs, you get detained for 3 weeks (2 weeks drug rehabilitation, 1 week Chinese prison time) & then immediately deported (I'd prefer to be deported right away tbh). I wouldn't pass a drug test as I smoke weed all the fucking time.

So now I think I have to just avoid bars. Which is a shame because I fucking love drinking. Not sure how much of this trip I'm going to enjoy at all now.

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This isn't even going to be close to a holiday but I'm off to China for work in exactly a week and I've just learned that the cops there conduct random raids on bars where foreigners hang out and demand urine tests. And then if you test positive for drugs, you get detained for 3 weeks (2 weeks drug rehabilitation, 1 week Chinese prison time) & then immediately deported (I'd prefer to be deported right away tbh). I wouldn't pass a drug test as I smoke weed all the fucking time.

So now I think I have to just avoid bars. Which is a shame because I fucking love drinking. Not sure how much of this trip I'm going to enjoy at all now.

Drink in a hotel bar. Problem solved :P

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, nudge said:

Drink in a hotel bar. Problem solved :P

It's probably my best bet for alcohol tbh. Not ideal, as hotel bars are usually a bit more expensive and are never as cool as seeing an actual bar in a new (and totally different to what I'm used to) place.

My worry is that I'm pretty sure I'm sent out on these trips with our clients because my boss has decided I'm fun to drink with... and if that's the case, these Chinese clients may be fairly disappointed with the much more cautious and sober Gonzo.

Beats spending 3 weeks as a prisoner though, I suppose.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You will have to give us some stories in a month about what both rehab and prison is like in China. 

On a serious note though,that is backwards as fuck. Imagine being locked in jail simply because your blood/piss/saliva contained thc? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

You will have to give us some stories in a month about what both rehab and prison is like in China. 

On a serious note though,that is backwards as fuck. Imagine being locked in jail simply because your blood/piss/saliva contained thc? 

I really fucking hope I don't end up in a Chinese prison xD

Yeah China takes drug enforcement very seriously, I think much too seriously... but, I think it's because of the Opium Wars & drug addiction taking China to its knees twice. I think for certain drugs, you get the death penalty, which is mental. Not as bad as Singapore or the Philippines though, as far as drugs go.

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I really fucking hope I don't end up in a Chinese prison xD

Yeah China takes drug enforcement very seriously, I think much too seriously... but, I think it's because of the Opium Wars & drug addiction taking China to its knees twice. I think for certain drugs, you get the death penalty, which is mental. Not as bad as Singapore or the Philippines though, as far as drugs go.

You may end up with alot of women trying to take pictures with you, depending on which part you go. 

• Haha 1

Fuck it, I might to go to California in 2020 whether anyone is wanting to come with me or not. I've been flirting with this idea for a while, although long flights have always put me off, I couldn't think of anything worse than sat in some box for about 12 hours. Also a lot of it comes down to money as well. But it's time I fucked off somewhere like the USA for 10-14 days or so as you don't get any younger. While in Los Angeles, I could also visit Las Vegas for the day(only a short flight away), which would be class. The problem over there is the hidden fees you pay at hotels. You pay x amount for the hotel as normal then they charge you an extra 30 quid a night while you're there. That's something to be wary of so that you don't get stung. People say hostels would be an option, but if you think I'm staying in a hostel even for one night then you're living in cuckoo land. You'd end up waking up in the morning and @Toinho would have his balls in your mouth.

Another option would be New York(shorter flight is a positive), as you could also fly to Toronto for the day, which would offer the opportunity to visit 2 countries in one trip. An option itself, in terms of California could even be San Diego, as a day out to Tijuana, Mexico would be an option itself. Or is going to Tijuana not wise these days? @José, @Dr. Gonzo

It would have to be 2020 though as I've already got 3 trips planned this year(one which is booked for 3 weeks time), which could even turn into 4.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Fuck it, I might to go to California in 2020 whether anyone is wanting to come with me or not. I've been flirting with this idea for a while, although long flights have always put me off, I couldn't think of anything worse than sat in some box for about 12 hours. Also a lot of it comes down to money as well. But it's time I fucked off somewhere like the USA for 10-14 days or so as you don't get any younger. While in Los Angeles, I could also visit Las Vegas for the day(only a short flight away), which would be class. The problem over there is the hidden fees you pay at hotels. You pay x amount for the hotel as normal then they charge you an extra 30 quid a night while you're there. That's something to be wary of so that you don't get stung. People say hostels would be an option, but if you think I'm staying in a hostel even for one night then you're living in cuckoo land. You'd end up waking up in the morning and @Toinho would have his balls in your mouth.

Another option would be New York(shorter flight is a positive), as you could also fly to Toronto for the day, which would offer the opportunity to visit 2 countries in one trip. An option itself, in terms of California could even be San Diego, as a day out to Tijuana, Mexico would be an option itself. Or is going to Tijuana not wise these days? @José, @Dr. Gonzo

It would have to be 2020 though as I've already got 3 trips planned this year(one which is booked for 3 weeks time), which could even turn into 4.

I've been to Tijuana relatively frequently. It's relatively safe, you're not going to get in any issues if you're not fucking around with people who work in cartels. But if you're hanging around with those people or trying to get involved in their drug running, then it's an incredibly unsafe place.

Tijuana's (legitimate) economy is built around border tourism, and even cartels have diversified their investments into that, which generally means if you're just going down to Tijuana doing ordinary tourist stuff there (which includes their night scene which is fucking mental) - you'll be fine. And if you're popping down there for cheap beers and their nice restaurants on the cheap... that's like the best reason to go down there and you'll be fine. Having said that, I've heard certain stories that are far less safe than my own experiences. But in my experience, it's fine just keep an eye on your wallet/phone.

It's easy to find good deals on Vegas hotels that don't fuck you over - you just have to be willing to be patient. In the USA (but probably anywhere), fuck hostels... I'd always do hotels over hostels.

10 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

That’s the most random mention of me ever 😂

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, José said:

It’s safe if you stay near the border. Fuck trump and the humanitarian crisis. Americans Live in Tijuana cause they rather pay 300 dollars on rent as oppose to 1800-2500 in Cali  for the very same size house/apt. Dollars are used instead of pesos as well

Cali is ridiculously expensive. I wouldn't like to live there, but it would be a great state to visit.

Where do you live again mate as I always forget? Aren't you more south?

19 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've been to Tijuana relatively frequently. It's relatively safe, you're not going to get in any issues if you're not fucking around with people who work in cartels. But if you're hanging around with those people or trying to get involved in their drug running, then it's an incredibly unsafe place.

Tijuana's (legitimate) economy is built around border tourism, and even cartels have diversified their investments into that, which generally means if you're just going down to Tijuana doing ordinary tourist stuff there (which includes their night scene which is fucking mental) - you'll be fine. And if you're popping down there for cheap beers and their nice restaurants on the cheap... that's like the best reason to go down there and you'll be fine. Having said that, I've heard certain stories that are far less safe than my own experiences. But in my experience, it's fine just keep an eye on your wallet/phone.

It's easy to find good deals on Vegas hotels that don't fuck you over - you just have to be willing to be patient. In the USA (but probably anywhere), fuck hostels... I'd always do hotels over hostels.

A scouser moving over to the San Diego and then going on regular "business" trips to Tijuana. It sounds very legit that :ph34r:.

To be honest, it would more likely end up being LA(with a day trip to Vegas) either way. Even staying Vegas and spending a day in LA, as either one would be brilliant I reckon. As for patience, there can be plenty of that mate as it'll be 2020 or so now as I mentioned. It can be planned to a tee and I can look about for good deals.

9 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Cali is ridiculously expensive. I wouldn't like to live there, but it would be a great state to visit.

Where do you live again mate as I always forget? Aren't you more south?

A scouser moving over to the San Diego and then going on regular "business" trips to Tijuana. It sounds very legit that :ph34r:.

To be honest, it would more likely end up being LA(with a day trip to Vegas) either way. Even staying Vegas and spending a day in LA, as either one would be brilliant I reckon. As for patience, there can be plenty of that mate as it'll be 2020 or so now as I mentioned. It can be planned to a tee and I can look about for good deals.

I've only had 3 business trips to Tijuana - with my first job down here in San Diego, twice at the request of my then clients - the rest were to get totally fucking smashed and eat cheap food xD and then end my night at a place in TJ called Hong Kong (look it up - I can't go to now that I'm engaged... if I want to stay engaged). Those business trips did sort of open my eyes to Tijuana though, it sort of demystified it and also took away some of that fear element that a lot of people have about Mexico.

I wouldn't spend more than 3 days in Vegas. It seems like a cheap place to live it up, but it does add up pretty quickly. And a lot of what you do in Vegas is gambling and drinking heavily - both of these things tend to get more expensive if you keep drinking and keep gambling. Also it takes a toll on your body xD - my friend had a 5 day "stag night" trip out there (but it was obviously more than a night because of how many days it was). I've never done more blow and had more to drink, by day 4 I was basically dead on my feet, I don't really have any recollection of day 5 other than being worried about missing my flight.

I also, personally, hate LA - but if you've never been, it's worth a trip out and there's an awful lot of tourist shite to do. I think the 2 best places in California generally are the Bay Area and San Diego - San Diego's got the beaches and shite that you'd want of SoCal, but it's not got the awful traffic of LA (granted, traffic still gets pretty bad sometimes) nor does it have the pollution. Plus LA can sometimes get unbearably hot. The Bay Area has probably more touristy things than San Diego, but very different to Southern California in a lot of ways.

LA probably has more touristy stuff to do than both of those areas. But it's also LA, therefore an unpleasant shithole imo.

23 hours ago, José said:

It’s safe if you stay near the border. Fuck trump and the humanitarian crisis. Americans Live in Tijuana cause they rather pay 300 dollars on rent as oppose to 1800-2500 in Cali  for the very same size house/apt. Dollars are used instead of pesos as well

A lot of people live even more south than TJ and commute every day to San Diego for work - I've got a few friends that live in Ensenada (which is an excellent place imo). Trump's humanitarian crisis isn't going to be an issue for any tourist - considering it's a crisis at the border that he's manufactured with asylum seekers who aren't even Mexican. There is a chance, though, that because asylum seekers need to come in through ordinary ports of entry (i.e., not just randomly anywhere over the desert in CA/AZ/TX), you might get some delays coming back into the U.S.

There's certain areas of TJ and Ensenada that are more dangerous, some that are less dangerous... pretty much the same with most countries out there in the world. The drug war is the only thing that makes Mexico as dangerous as it is - simple solution for tourists going to Mexico is: don't fuck around with shite like that and be street smart.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've only had 3 business trips to Tijuana - with my first job down here in San Diego, twice at the request of my then clients - the rest were to get totally fucking smashed and eat cheap food xD and then end my night at a place in TJ called Hong Kong (look it up - I can't go to now that I'm engaged... if I want to stay engaged). Those business trips did sort of open my eyes to Tijuana though, it sort of demystified it and also took away some of that fear element that a lot of people have about Mexico.

I wouldn't spend more than 3 days in Vegas. It seems like a cheap place to live it up, but it does add up pretty quickly. And a lot of what you do in Vegas is gambling and drinking heavily - both of these things tend to get more expensive if you keep drinking and keep gambling. Also it takes a toll on your body xD - my friend had a 5 day "stag night" trip out there (but it was obviously more than a night because of how many days it was). I've never done more blow and had more to drink, by day 4 I was basically dead on my feet, I don't really have any recollection of day 5 other than being worried about missing my flight.

I also, personally, hate LA - but if you've never been, it's worth a trip out and there's an awful lot of tourist shite to do. I think the 2 best places in California generally are the Bay Area and San Diego - San Diego's got the beaches and shite that you'd want of SoCal, but it's not got the awful traffic of LA (granted, traffic still gets pretty bad sometimes) nor does it have the pollution. Plus LA can sometimes get unbearably hot. The Bay Area has probably more touristy things than San Diego, but very different to Southern California in a lot of ways.

LA probably has more touristy stuff to do than both of those areas. But it's also LA, therefore an unpleasant shithole imo.

I wouldn't say I'd fear Mexico as some countries in Latin America(including there) and also Jamaica are actually more appealing to me than almost anywhere, although I reckon they'd be more ideal places  to visit with a few of you, while certain cities in the USA and Australia(in terms of outside Europe) are ideal places for people to visit if they were to think "fuck it" and go on their own for 10 days or whatever. Obviously within a year things can change in terms of commitments, new relationships and what not, but I'll be doing it whatever. I've set the tone now.

As for Mexico, it's actually a very popular country for English tourists these days and alot of people go there, mainly to get smashed or soak up the sun. But you definitely have to be wary of some cities, you do everywhere, but more so in some countries if you don't know them.

I could even get smashed with you one night out there in San Diego while I was at it. You know more than me also, so maybe San Diego would be a better choice, although I'm guessing an even longer fucking flight. Is it also slightly cheaper there? I will see what happens as it's all thinking a little too far ahead anyway.

A 5 night stag "night" in Vegas would be ruthless. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't end up divorced before he even got married. I bet that was some "night" though as it does seem like one of the better cities in the USA(if not the world) to get absolutely off your face and go wild. It also seems a city you could just walk around exploring and speaking to random people while coming across some of the craziest shit you've ever seen in the process.

You can also tell you have been out in the Cali too long when you're calling coke "blow" xD.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

6 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I wouldn't say I'd fear Mexico as some countries in Latin America(including there) and also Jamaica are actually more appealing to me than almost anywhere, although I reckon they'd be more ideal places  to visit with a few of you, while certain cities in the USA and Australia(in terms of outside Europe) are ideal places for people to visit if they were to think "fuck it" and go on their own for 10 days or whatever. Obviously within a year things can change in terms of commitments, new relationships and what not, but I'll be doing it whatever. I've set the tone now.

As for Mexico, it's actually a very popular country for English tourists these days and alot of people go there, mainly to get smashed or soak up the sun. But you definitely have to be wary of some cities, you do everywhere, but more so in some countries if you don't know them.

I could even get smashed with you one night out there in San Diego while I was at it. You know more than me also, so maybe San Diego would be a better choice, although I'm guessing an even longer fucking flight. Is it also slightly cheaper there? I will see what happens as it's all thinking a little too far ahead anyway.

A 5 night stag "night" in Vegas would be ruthless. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't end up divorced before he even got married. I bet that was some "night" though as it does seem like one of the better cities in the USA(if not the world) to get absolutely off your face and go wild. It also seems a city you could just walk around exploring and speaking to random people while coming across some of the craziest shit you've ever seen in the process.

You can also tell you have been out in the Cali too long when you're calling coke "blow" xD.

xD to that last bit.

Yeah if I'm still out in San Diego, I'd be happy to get smashed with you one night. I'm planning on moving to the Bay Area sometime pretty soon, but that's all tentative shite and I don't really know when it's going to happen (if ever). I think San Diego's got the most breweries in the USA, but even if that's not true, it's definitely got the most in California. It's a beer mecca out here, so if you like beer this is a good place to visit.

As far as if it's cheaper... it's tough to say - some things are cheaper in LA, some things are cheaper in San Diego. It's roughly all about the same price. The Bay Area is pricier than both of those & doesn't have the sunshine and beaches. The flight's a bit longer to San Diego, but not by much - by like 30-45 minutes.

Vegas is definitely a fun place for getting absolutely smashed, and yeah that 5 day "night" was absolutely mental. And yeah, we wandered all over Vegas - not just the strip - saw a lot of weird shite and met a lot of weird people. Bonded with an Irish bloke at a casino that was following some American lad wearing a Man United shirt with Rooney on the back, harassing the fuck out of him xD. Not sure I met a single person (other than the people working in Vegas), that was sober. I think the only other place in the US that compares to it for going absolutely mental with drinking is New Orleans.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

xD to that last bit.

Yeah if I'm still out in San Diego, I'd be happy to get smashed with you one night. I'm planning on moving to the Bay Area sometime pretty soon, but that's all tentative shite and I don't really know when it's going to happen (if ever). I think San Diego's got the most breweries in the USA, but even if that's not true, it's definitely got the most in California. It's a beer mecca out here, so if you like beer this is a good place to visit.

As far as if it's cheaper... it's tough to say - some things are cheaper in LA, some things are cheaper in San Diego. It's roughly all about the same price. The Bay Area is pricier than both of those & doesn't have the sunshine and beaches. The flight's a bit longer to San Diego, but not by much - by like 30-45 minutes.

Vegas is definitely a fun place for getting absolutely smashed, and yeah that 5 day "night" was absolutely mental. And yeah, we wandered all over Vegas - not just the strip - saw a lot of weird shite and met a lot of weird people. Bonded with an Irish bloke at a casino that was following some American lad wearing a Man United shirt with Rooney on the back, harassing the fuck out of him xD. Not sure I met a single person (other than the people working in Vegas), that was sober. I think the only other place in the US that compares to it for going absolutely mental with drinking is New Orleans.

I can even hear your Cali accent from here mate xD.

To be honest mate, I probably wouldn't spend the whole trip getting hammered as that is actually one reason why I like the idea of starting to do some solo trips, there is nothing stopping me right now. When you go with the lads or whatever, it just ends up as one big beak and alcohol fuelled session, which is great(especially nowadays since getting smashed is more a special occasion thing), but you want to also experience what a country is about. This obviously doesn't include bud as I smoke that all the time anyway. Obviously I will still drink as the nightlife is a massive part of what these cities we have spoken of are about but I wouldn't mind visiting a few of those dispensaries most of all. Heaven.

You'd definitely have to go on a shooting range if you visited Vegas also, since it would be rude not to. If you go to Vegas and don't get smashed, smoke some legal bud, bang a prostitute, do a bit of gambling and shoot some guns, then you may as well go back home ;).

The problem with the flight is that you'd probably go to London first, then fly to LA, then stop for about 3 hours, then go to San Diego. It would be an absolute ballache. I will look into it all though. As I also said, I can't rule out New York, especially given how it's alot closer and that itself seems like an amazing city with so much character. But I do find the culture out in California as being more appealing. It would suit me there I'd say.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

• Administrator

Anyone ever been to Mallorca?

If so, any recommendations on villas or best places to stay? (No-one say Magaluf xD, it's a family holiday). Have been looking at Palma and nearby areas as well as East of the island near Manacor and Pollensa.