talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

First night in Istanbul and I've already been on the end of an atrempted scam. Was looking for my apartment near Taksim Square, and it's all unsigned alleyways so it wad pretty confusing. I stopped outside a hotel to look at my phone and two guys start talking to me (target the guy with a suitcase). They ask where I'm from, tell me they're from Israel and here on holiday too. I say I'm looking for my apartment and the guy says we can help because we're locals (didn't actually realise at the time but lol). He asks to look at the maps on my phone, insists he'll give it back...I stupidly hand it over because I'm too polite to insinuate that someone's trying to steal from me xD ...he does give it back. He says after you find your apartment come for a drink with us...I say I'm meeting my girlfriend.

Now, I looked it up and apparently a well known scam is they invite you to a bar with them and you end up with a massive bill (thousands of pounds)...I avoided that obviously, but I'm quite worried because he looked at the address of my apartment, and called someone while looking at it. It's now 5am in Turkey and I haven't managed to sleep because I've been worried about it xD

Apparently these scammers scam you in a very friendly way though, if you say no to the drinks they move on...so I'm hoping if he did tell his friends about my apartment it's just to target tourists in the future rather than to break in when I'm out.

Needless to say I'm taking everything of value out with me tomorrow xD

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Toinho said:

Feel good cafe was my local both times I went to Amsterdam when I was young and dumb.

It was a very different trip this time as I went out and explored pretty much everywhere. If you go with the lads, it just turns into a big session down De Wallen area, you spend far far more money and end up feeling ill by the end of it. I thought going on my own might have been a bit daunting at times, but it was everything but. It was third time there, but I got to truly see the city this time and saw everything I wanted to plus more. I suppose it also helps that I am the type of person who will speak to any cunt, which makes everything easier.

I didn't go overboard with the drinking and didn't have any spirits, coke or anything of the sort. I obviously blazed a lot of weed as well, although due to my high tolerance of it, it's not the equivalent of "getting fucked" for me.

You're right about those cafes where you can drink and smoke. I much prefer them to the coffeeshops as they are more lively and having a pint with a spliff is much more sociable without a doubt. "Lost in Amsterdam" is brilliant and I'd recommend it to anyone, even if it's just for the fanny in there.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, ...Dan said:

First night in Istanbul and I've already been on the end of an atrempted scam. Was looking for my apartment near Taksim Square, and it's all unsigned alleyways so it wad pretty confusing. I stopped outside a hotel to look at my phone and two guys start talking to me (target the guy with a suitcase). They ask where I'm from, tell me they're from Israel and here on holiday too. I say I'm looking for my apartment and the guy says we can help because we're locals (didn't actually realise at the time but lol). He asks to look at the maps on my phone, insists he'll give it back...I stupidly hand it over because I'm too polite to insinuate that someone's trying to steal from me xD ...he does give it back. He says after you find your apartment come for a drink with us...I say I'm meeting my girlfriend.

Now, I looked it up and apparently a well known scam is they invite you to a bar with them and you end up with a massive bill (thousands of pounds)...I avoided that obviously, but I'm quite worried because he looked at the address of my apartment, and called someone while looking at it. It's now 5am in Turkey and I haven't managed to sleep because I've been worried about it xD

Apparently these scammers scam you in a very friendly way though, if you say no to the drinks they move on...so I'm hoping if he did tell his friends about my apartment it's just to target tourists in the future rather than to break in when I'm out.

Needless to say I'm taking everything of value out with me tomorrow xD

Hope you're still alive xD 

@nudge you would have loved the Parakeets flying around in Vondelpark. I didn't even know they were there until I saw them flying about. It's amazing how they adapt to the wild in European cities as they have done so in others as well. They are only small and also bright in colour, so you'd expect them to be easy targets for birds of prey and even the likes of crows, but this doesn't seem to be the case and they thrive.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Hope you're still alive xD 

Haha yep, alive for now, and the apartment hasn't been broken into yet.

Istanbul hasn't given me the best of first impressions. As soon as I left the airport I was asked by about 50 men if I want a taxi. I took the shuttle, and got off at my stop and stepped into another mob of taxi drivers xD I literally had to push through them to collect my suitcase.

Then today I spent a good 4 hours looking for an istanbulkart that you need to use public transport. Tried several machines in several corners of my closest metro station...they all said not available. Found a desk area with istanbulkart written above it...queued for 5 minutes assuming I could buy one there, but nope. Walked 20 minutes to the next metro station, same story. I eventually found a shop that sells them, at about the 10th attempt.

It's been a while since I've been somewhere where I can't at least speak the basics of the language...I'm not enjoying this. I'm sticking to France from now on xD

• Haha 1

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:11, Lucas said:

Going to the Peak District tomorrow for a long weekend with the missus. Got ourselves a proper lovely little idyllic Cottage near to a little quaint village. Lovely drop.

10954482-1385217995141055-40923191948224

11219095-1385229698473218-68716091624549

Far from the warmth of Istanbul with Dan, or the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam with Chris, we're back from our weekend in the Peaks. No sign of any dodgy con artists on a scam or the strong smell of weed or red lights, just pure quiet and countryside. We are all on completely different breaks right now xD

Very lucky with the weather. Cottage was just beaut. Can't beat chucking logs in the fire and smashing through the wine and gin as dark sets in.

We were literally 5mins from a village called Bakewell, named after the tarts. What a jewell that place is if anyone likes that kind of thing.

20190209-121458.jpg

20190209-140050.jpg

20190209-140929.jpg

20190209-145311.jpg

20190210-145652.jpg

20190210-152056.jpg

20190210-150245.jpg

20190210-172355.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 3

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Haha yep, alive for now, and the apartment hasn't been broken into yet.

Istanbul hasn't given me the best of first impressions. As soon as I left the airport I was asked by about 50 men if I want a taxi. I took the shuttle, and got off at my stop and stepped into another mob of taxi drivers xD I literally had to push through them to collect my suitcase.

Then today I spent a good 4 hours looking for an istanbulkart that you need to use public transport. Tried several machines in several corners of my closest metro station...they all said not available. Found a desk area with istanbulkart written above it...queued for 5 minutes assuming I could buy one there, but nope. Walked 20 minutes to the next metro station, same story. I eventually found a shop that sells them, at about the 10th attempt.

It's been a while since I've been somewhere where I can't at least speak the basics of the language...I'm not enjoying this. I'm sticking to France from now on xD

1 minute ago, ...Dan said:

It hasn't stopped pissing down mate xD The umbrella I bought this afternoon broke in record time as well.

It sounds like you're really having an unforgettable trip xD 

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

It sounds like you're really having an unforgettable trip xD 

The most unforgettable part was when I poured myself my cup of milk that I always have before bed...took a sip and it tasted of salt. Wtf Turkey?! Turns out it was something called Ayran:

Doogh, ayran or tan (Albanian: Dhallë; Persian: دوغ‎, dugh; Azerbaijani: ayran ; Arabic: شنينةšinīna or عيران ayran; Turkish: ayran; Armenian: թան t'an; Pashto: شلومبې‎; Kurdish: ماستاو) is a cold savory yogurt-based beverage that is mixed with salt.[1][2] It is popular in Iran,[3]Turkey,[4] Kurdistan region, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan,[2] Russia, the Balkans,[5]Afghanistan,[6] Cyprus, Lebanon and Syria.[7]Yogurt drinks are popular beyond the Middle East region.[8]

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, ...Dan said:

The most unforgettable part was when I poured myself my cup of milk that I always have before bed...took a sip and it tasted of salt. Wtf Turkey?! Turns out it was something called Ayran:

Doogh, ayran or tan (Albanian: Dhallë; Persian: دوغ‎, dugh; Azerbaijani: ayran ; Arabic: شنينةšinīna or عيران ayran; Turkish: ayran; Armenian: թան t'an; Pashto: شلومبې‎; Kurdish: ماستاو) is a cold savory yogurt-based beverage that is mixed with salt.[1][2] It is popular in Iran,[3]Turkey,[4] Kurdistan region, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan,[2] Russia, the Balkans,[5]Afghanistan,[6] Cyprus, Lebanon and Syria.[7]Yogurt drinks are popular beyond the Middle East region.[8]

We used to have a somewhat similar drink called Kefir which is basically fermented milk... I love it but it's definitely an acquired taste if you're not used to it haha. 

Traveling is all about exploring new things - including salty milk... xD 

• Haha 1

@Stan when you said Grasshopper, did you mean that massive steak house and bar place? As I went past it like 20 minutes after you mentioned it on this when I had popped on for 5 minutes last night. I was thinking you meant the coffeeshop. It does look good that place(the steakhouse/bar thing) and I will have to pop in next time.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

1 hour ago, ...Dan said:

It hasn't stopped pissing down mate xD The umbrella I bought this afternoon broke in record time as well.

You are having one of those trips. xD

One day, this will all be pretty hilarious to look back on.

(That is assuming the two blokes outside your apartment don't gang rape you first) 

Edited by Lucas
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nudge said:

We used to have a somewhat similar drink called Kefir which is basically fermented milk... I love it but it's definitely an acquired taste if you're not used to it haha. 

Traveling is all about exploring new things - including salty milk... xD 

Maybe it's actually bottles of semen? Especially if he bought if off those fellas outside...

Anyway, I couldn't be doing with Turkey myself. It's not my type of country at all.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Confused 1

• Administrator
3 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

@Stan when you said Grasshopper, did you mean that massive steak house and bar place? As I went past it like 20 minutes after you mentioned it on this when I had popped on for 5 minutes last night. I was thinking you meant the coffeeshop. It does look good that place(the steakhouse/bar thing) and I will have to pop in next time.

The big steak place but they sell weed there as well but very expensive.. 

The other place I remember is Grey Area for good weed.

14 hours ago, Stan said:

The big steak place but they sell weed there as well but very expensive.. 

The other place I remember is Grey Area for good weed.

Ye grey area has some of the best I had out there. The best strains were Gelato and Lemonade from coffeeshop 1ehulp(Jordaan area) and Blue Dream from Grey Area. But I had some top quality hash from a spot with a more local feel to it called coffeeshop solo. I met a group of Brazilian tourists in there as well, who along with a Dutch barmaid, were the soundest people I met on the trip. 

It was an experience to properly explore the likes of Vondelpark, the De Pijp area(the Albert Cuyp Markt is fantastic), Jordaan and see all the museums, etc from the outside. I saw far more on this trip, yet didn't spend as much. It also didn't prevent me from hitting bars and the red light districts at night still. Mixing it up while not overdoing it is the best way as it's easy to go overboard in a city like that and ruin the rest of your trip. 

Might book it again for end of march instead of Barcelona, then do the latter at the end of summer. It draws me back.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Ye grey area has some of the best I had out there. The best strains were Gelato and Lemonade from coffeeshop 1ehulp(Jordaan area) and Blue Dream from Grey Area. But I had some top quality hash from a spot with a more local feel to it called coffeeshop solo. I met a group of Brazilian tourists in there as well, who along with a Dutch barmaid, were the soundest people I met on the trip. 

It was an experience to properly explore the likes of Vondelpark, the De Pijp area(the Albert Cuyp Markt is fantastic), Jordaan and see all the museums, etc from the outside. I saw far more on this trip, yet didn't spend as much. It also didn't prevent me from hitting bars and the red light districts at night still. Mixing it up while not overdoing it is the best way as it's easy to go overboard in a city like that and ruin the rest of your trip. 

Might book it again for end of march instead of Barcelona, then do the latter at the end of summer. It draws me back.

Yeah you have to temper your own expectations to get the best out of it, and have a better time from it. Hear far too many stories of people getting caught up in the excitement of it being Amsterdam and going too hard on first/second night then being totally screwed up for the rest of their trip.

Did you go to Heineken museum/factory and Ajax's stadium?

One thing I find is underrated, and this is going to sound so sad xD, is how easy it is to get around from place to place. Whether it's from the airport in to the city centre or just within the city itself it's ridiculously easy. Thought their trams and canal boats were decent too. 

9 hours ago, Stan said:

Yeah you have to temper your own expectations to get the best out of it, and have a better time from it. Hear far too many stories of people getting caught up in the excitement of it being Amsterdam and going too hard on first/second night then being totally screwed up for the rest of their trip.

Did you go to Heineken museum/factory and Ajax's stadium?

One thing I find is underrated, and this is going to sound so sad xD, is how easy it is to get around from place to place. Whether it's from the airport in to the city centre or just within the city itself it's ridiculously easy. Thought their trams and canal boats were decent too. 

I went outside the Heineken Museum, but not in it mate. As for Ajax's stadium, I will probably do a tour of that on the next trip as I didn't get around to it due to already fitting a lot in. Plus I doubt they'd have had tours on Tuesday either due to a game(vs Real Madrid) the day after, as that is how it usually works.

Those travel cards which allow you to travel by any Train, Tram, Metro, bus, or even the Ferry across the river are a god send. I like to walk as much as I can there as it's a very walkable city, but sometimes you need to jump on trams, especially to get from my hotel to whereever I needed to go. They are spot on. I hated the tram last time as I went as it was on a weekend and they were busy as fuck but with it being Mon-wed this time, they were much quieter.

A tip though, make sure you get the tram going in the right direction and not just look at the number of the tram like I did :ph34r:. I luckily noticed, got off at the next stop and redeemed myself.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

Seeing these pics makes me realise I do miss Europe a bit.

Looks and sounds like a nice trip, Chris.

They make me realise how shit English cities are and how much better mainland European ones are.

But the on the other hand, you see Lucas' pics and remember how amazing our countryside is.

As for Dan, don't worry about him, he's likely having a lot of fun somewhere now :hh:

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Ah brings back many memories actually seeing some of those places again!

Surprised you got away with taking pictures on Red Light district. Not usually allowed so you must have been quick!

When taking a few sneaky pics down there(but not of the prostitutes themselves, I wouldn't do that out of respect to be fair), a bunch of Hells Angels walked past and got in the way of it:-

kfDm8ka.jpg

xD

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Lucas said:

No sign of @...Dan this morning.

Dread to think what else has happened to him but the search party is on standby.

9 hours ago, nudge said:

Seeing these pics makes me realise I do miss Europe a bit.

Looks and sounds like a nice trip, Chris.

Also @...Dan you need to check in here as we're starting to worry xD 

xD xD I'm fine guys, don't worry.

• Upvote 1