talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

On 12/03/2019 at 10:02, MUFC said:

Nice one, you heard of Sterling FX Travel money? Seems to offer the best.

I will look into it mate as I'm going to need to get some changed myself due to going to Dam again in a couple of weeks.

Eurochange is local so that's the main reason I use them.

Where are you off to pal? Anywhere decent?

I was originally planning to go to Barcelona for this trip for 3 days, but the flights and everything works out pretty shit now unless I flew from Liverpool(which is a farce to get to if getting a train, Manchester is far easier), although since this is the third time I've been to Amsterdam in the last 3.5 months, I'm going to have to head somewhere else next time definitely. I probably won't go to Amsterdam again until December now and will go somewhere else inbetween, probably somewhere in Spain but I've also been flirting with Lisbon since I've never been to Portugal and think it's a country(and City in terms of Lisbon) that would suit me. @Machado would also be up for a beer, unlike @Panna King who won't hit De Wallen with me when I'm in his city...

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I will look into it mate as I'm going to need to get some changed myself due to going to Dam again in a couple of weeks.

I was originally planning to go to Barcelona for this trip for 3 days, but the flights and everything works out pretty shit now unless I flew from Liverpool(which is a farce to get to if getting a train, Manchester is far easier), although since this is the third time I've been to Amsterdam in the last 3.5 months, I'm going to have to head somewhere else next time definitely. I probably won't go to Amsterdam again until December now and will go somewhere else inbetween, probably somewhere in Spain but I've also been flirting with Lisbon since I've never been to Portugal and think it's a country(and City in terms of Lisbon) that would suit me. @Machado would also be up for a beer, unlike @Panna King who won't hit De Wallen with me when I'm in his city...

Meet you in the red light bar.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Dubai for 10 days, do you chong when you go to Amsterdam?

Not a holiday, but I really dislike short sighted people who only travel to first world countries. Who ask you why would you travel to third world countries as if there was something wrong with you. I've had those people come up and I really hate them. I've been to Europe and to me you could hardly tell the difference in culture to any city in the USA, and all it's got is old buildings that make it look nice.

I'd much prefer travelling to third world countries and I'm sure @nudge will agree.

• Administrator

'all it's got is old buildings'

A museum in Rome
thumb_51676_cover_header.jpeg?&q=60&fit=

Some skyscrapers in London...

The Shard:
c90cb89a0abd469782111f9b47427246.ashx?as

Walkie-Talkie building:
image.jpg

St Mary's Axe (The Gherkin)
The-Gherkin_safra-group.jpg

Museum in Liverpool
museum-of-liverpool-building-ph3.jpg

Basque Culinary Centre, San Sebastian
1110713107.jpg

City of Arts & Sciences, Valencia
1432192754_valenciaarts.jpg

Sony Centre in Germany:
sony-centre-istock.jpg?h=1125&la=en&w=20

A German museum in Bochum:
29405327712.jpg

Mercedes Benz Museum
classic_museum_besucherinformation_preis

Literally just to name a few. You need to look harder if all you see is 'old buildings' 

24 minutes ago, Blue said:

Not a holiday, but I really dislike short sighted people who only travel to first world countries. Who ask you why would you travel to third world countries as if there was something wrong with you. I've had those people come up and I really hate them. I've been to Europe and to me you could hardly tell the difference in culture to any city in the USA, and all it's got is old buildings that make it look nice.

I'd much prefer travelling to third world countries and I'm sure @nudge will agree.

Brian, the US is nothing like Europe, not architecturally nor culturally comparing to most European countries. I'd say Buenos Aires is the most similar city to Western Europe which is not in it, both architecturally and culturally.

Just now, Berserker said:

Brian, the US is nothing like Europe, not architecturally nor culturally comparing to most European countries. I'd say Buenos Aires is the most similar city to Western Europe which is not in it, both architecturally and culturally.

It's still a very western culture though.

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

'all it's got is old buildings'

A museum in Rome
thumb_51676_cover_header.jpeg?&q=60&fit=

Some skyscrapers in London...

The Shard:
c90cb89a0abd469782111f9b47427246.ashx?as

Walkie-Talkie building:
image.jpg

St Mary's Axe (The Gherkin)
The-Gherkin_safra-group.jpg

Museum in Liverpool
museum-of-liverpool-building-ph3.jpg

Basque Culinary Centre, San Sebastian
1110713107.jpg

City of Arts & Sciences, Valencia
1432192754_valenciaarts.jpg

Sony Centre in Germany:
sony-centre-istock.jpg?h=1125&la=en&w=20

A German museum in Bochum:
29405327712.jpg

Mercedes Benz Museum
classic_museum_besucherinformation_preis

Literally just to name a few. You need to look harder if all you see is 'old buildings' 

I think you took my "old buildings" statement too literally xD

Just now, Stan said:

Hard to tell with you sometimes.

What I meant was the western culture still exists but you get a different architectual cities in Europe. To me, all first world countries feel the same. Don't get me wrong, Europe is a great continent as is North America, but I hate how those 2 are all people want to go to, when there is a whole world to explore much more unique than them.

• Administrator
Just now, Blue said:

What I meant was the western culture still exists but you get a different architectual cities in Europe. To me, all first world countries feel the same. Don't get me wrong, Europe is a great continent as is North America, but I hate how those 2 are all people want to go to, when there is a whole world to explore much more unique than them.

You need to meet more people then cos there's seriously plenty of people on here who have all expressed a wish to venture in to cities or countries that aren't in North America or Europe.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

You need to meet more people then cos there's seriously plenty of people on here who have all expressed a wish to venture in to cities or countries that aren't in North America or Europe.

Maybe it's just cos I'm young but my 2 cousins only want to go to Europe. Whenever I ask them to go elsewhere they decline. Meanwhile when I went to Vietnam a few years ago, people asked me in a bad way why I would go there. Same with Peru when I was in Canada. So annoying.

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Have you been to all of them then? I've been lucky enough to cover most of Europe whilst travelling and they are so many that are totally different and from the first world.

I've been to a lot. of course not all of them are the same but the culture just doesn't feel different to me.

USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England, France, Spain, Italy and Finland are some names that come off the top of my head.

Just now, Cannabis said:

I honestly don't even know where to start with this xD. USA, Canada, Australia and NZ aren't in Europe so not sure why you've included them above. USA, Australia and NZ are all heavily influenced by the British Empire so as a result will obviously ''feel'' like England. The same can be said for Canada with it bordering the States. Branch out if you want to find something new - Norway/Iceland or Russia in Europe along are a million miles from the countries mentioned above.

If I visit Europe it would be for natural landscapes - not for its culture. I'd love to go to Iceland or parts of the Alps. Otherwise I'd only really care to go back to England cos I've got a few mates there.

Tromso is another one I'd love to go to.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Blue said:

I both agree and disagree haha. There's definitely plenty of cultural (and visual) differences between European countries; there's actually more than enough differences within each country depending on the city or region you visit. It's just that with all the globalisation the modern way of live is understandably very similar in most of the big cities within the western sphere of influence nowadays and for me personally it's a turn off too as I find it boring but then I'm not a fan of big cities altogether. Other than that, I really enjoy travelling Europe and there are so many places there that I absolutely adore. That said, I definitely agree that travelling to developing countries is great and it's something that's really close to my heart. The unknown, unfamiliar, less predictable "wilder" places and "culture shock" that challenges your world view, a certain degree of "risk" which gives you adrenaline rush, a sense of adventure, more "freedom" is something that I look for and I'm more likely to find it in the so-called third world countries so that's a natural choice for me. It's not for everyone though, and I know there are loads of people who don't get the appeal of it and would never be able to understand my reasoning. Personally I think that they are missing out on a lot of things as they never really step out of their comfort zone, but we're all wired differently and want different things in life so let's all just do that I say. 

Just now, Cannabis said:

Then why are you complaining about the culture feeling the same then xD

I am complaining about the people who would only visit those places and then look at you funny if you go to somewhere like Vietnam. I've gotten that before a lot.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Blue said:

I am complaining about the people who would only visit those places and then look at you funny if you go to somewhere like Vietnam. I've gotten that before a lot.

You'd be surprised how much of it actually comes from ignorance and fear of the unknown. The latter is part of human nature and also one of the main reasons why people resist change so I get that. What I personally struggle to understand is how some people seem to have absolutely no interest in expanding their horizons and appear to have no curiosity whatsoever.

23 minutes ago, Danny said:

Vietnam (and south east Asia in general) has to be one of the most travelled places in the world.

The only Southeast Asian country in the top 10 of the WTR is Thailand, which is an odd one. Thailand is always the standout and quite honestly I don't get what it has over the others. Food and beaches I suppose. I'm sure @nudge could give a proper opinion.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Blue said:

The only Southeast Asian country in the top 10 of the WTR is Thailand, which is an odd one. Thailand is always the standout and quite honestly I don't get what it has over the others. Food and beaches I suppose. I'm sure @nudge could give a proper opinion.

Food and beaches are hard to beat for sure, also the islands and nature, culture and brilliant nightlife and whatnot, but probably one of the main factors why Thailand has an upper hand when it comes to being a popular tourist destination in SE Asia is its superior infrastructure (close or equal to "first world") and highly developed tourism sector which caters to pretty much everyone's needs and budget. Another factor is stability; it has never been colonised and other than a few coup d'état that were more or less bloodless, the government and especially the Royal family kept the tensions in check and the country remained stable throughout the years whereas its neighbours suffered numerous civil wars, dictatorial communist regimes, economical shortages etc. This stability as well as their openness to foreign businesses starting from the 60s led to an exponential growth and that's when the country started to appear on the travel magazines as an attractive destination with a great cost to quality ratio.