talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

Excellent photography, I need to take you fishing with me so the pictures actually come out great without my mate's fingers poking out on the side of the screen and missing half my head out...

They wouldn't look out of place on some holiday website as advertisements. They make the scenery stick out and do it justice.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

5 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I was going to go to Barcelona and Taragona this summer mate but ended up spending a lot on my fishing trips and bought new rods, reels, etc. I was down in the South east with my mate for a week fishing(which was already planned since last year), did another 3 day session down in the midlands and a bunch up north. But I will go somewhere next year definitely.

There is also still time to do a cheeky 2/3 days somewhere before the end of this year as well. Maybe December.

Reason I've been to Amsterdam 3 times this year(well one of the times was actually last December) is because when I first ever went back in 2007 I never truly got to see the city as I went for sensation white and that was pretty much the whole trip then when I went in December last year with the lads, we just got wrecked and I felt as though I still hadn't truly seen the city properly. This is why I then went back in February and again in April. I thought they were great trips, it was the first time I've been abroad on my own and I got to see literally everything in the city pretty much. I'll go back of course, but since I've been 3 times in the last 9 months, I'm less arsed about returning right now. You spend shitloads in such a short time.

It is the perfect city to travel to if you're going on your own though for me as you meet people so fucking easily and the crime rate is very low. Going away on my own has also set the tone. It's better in some senses than going away with the lads(as there is always one who ruins it) or with a woman(arguments start or you have to mainly do what they want), but on your own it's amazing. It has set the tone now. I'm going to do a few more trips to different cities in Europe then probably fuck off somewhere like Mexico or the USA for a few weeks in the coming years.

I've just bought a parrot though now, so I'll have to work out how I can make sure that is looked after whenever I go away anywhere as they are a big commitment to be fair.

I like the fact nothing is stopping you travelling solo. My mate has done this and went to Barca funnily enough, where he took in a game and the F1 at the same time when it was on.

You're right, you don't have to answer to anyone and can do exactly what you want to do so I'd make the most of it and see as much as you can before that changes.

Mexico is definitely on our hit list. Can see us doing that at some point but we are already committed to Greece next year and possibly the Algarve. 

On 23/09/2019 at 18:00, Carnivore Chris said:

Excellent photography, I need to take you fishing with me so the pictures actually come out great without my mate's fingers poking out on the side of the screen and missing half my head out...

They wouldn't look out of place on some holiday website as advertisements. They make the scenery stick out and do it justice.

Cheers, haha there's some decent free apps that you can download to tweak some photos, try snapseed.

On 23/09/2019 at 22:16, Lucas said:

I like the fact nothing is stopping you travelling solo. My mate has done this and went to Barca funnily enough, where he took in a game and the F1 at the same time when it was on.

You're right, you don't have to answer to anyone and can do exactly what you want to do so I'd make the most of it and see as much as you can before that changes.

Mexico is definitely on our hit list. Can see us doing that at some point but we are already committed to Greece next year and possibly the Algarve. 

I wouldn't mind going to Portugal myself as I've never been, which is surprising since it's only a few hours away and would be up my street. Lisbon itself would be great I reckon. 

I've also heard many great things about Hamburg. I know a fella who has travelled everywhere and he says Hamburg is his favourite city. 

I've been to Barcelona before but not on my own, although I'd get by easy there. 

I was supposed to go fishing in France(10 hour drive!) next Sept, which was decided when down south last month, although my mate has landed himself in some financial troubles so that might not happen now. If not, that frees up more time and money to get a few more trips in. 

You're not wrong about things quickly changing. They very nearly did this year as I started getting close with a bird who I met back in late May when I was working at the uni. It didn't work out as planned in the end though as she moved away working to the other side of the country about 4 week ago(which I knew was coming) and long distances don't work for me, so an emotional discussion and that was that. But it does show how quickly things can change and plans can change.

You're better off just being a bit spontaneous and deciding at the last minute at times.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

• Subscriber

Decided to go back to Thailand in late spring; will spend a month or so in the southern west coast part (Krabi) this time; mostly staying in Krabi/Ao Nang & doing some island hopping and other tours from there. Really really really looking forward to it.

11 minutes ago, nudge said:

Decided to go back to Thailand in late spring; will spend a month or so in the southern west coast part (Krabi) this time; mostly staying in Krabi/Ao Nang & doing some island hopping and other tours from there. Really really really looking forward to it.

Some ladyboys on the agenda too? 

• 2 weeks later...

Did Valour away for my 3rd and final away of the season. Also the first one which I was required to take a plane.

Amazing time and the team won 4-0, so I had a good time. I also showed up on the OneSoccer stream :D 

As for the city itself, @Eco isn't wrong in that Winnipeg is a bit shit.

0914e4731fccdc3ba48a6736a40c3c95.jpg

6c30774c6b184242d30354020867cc3b.png\

28e65538d5b1498294308e5a641dfca3.png

958d38fcd9ea35886de8629c5d15adbf.png

f886d47c4de41a3cdc3ac1a62ef18afd.png

1d9ff09518a3bddba0779d165010af54.png

I've just been looking at deals to Barcelona in early March(which is around my birthday), it was a shame not to go in June this year, which I was thinking about  when I came back from my last solo trip to Amsterdam in April, but the fishing takes hold of me around that time of year and the two trips down to the midlands and South, respectively, along with going to Dam a few times meant I ended up a bit congested. Saying that, it'll be better in March anyway as there will be football on. The hotel is a 4 star, is in a perfect location that I'm familiar with and it is only around 200 quid for 4 nights, which is cheap as fuck. Hotels like that tend to double in price if you leave it too long, so I will book it in a few weeks and then it is done.

I'll probably go with Easyjet as well. Only Ryanair(and Vueling, but they are always late flights) fly from from Manchester airport, but fuck going with them, I will just fly from Liverpool airport instead then I can travel with easyjet. Much cheaper and I've always been satisfied enough with them, even if they do have small delays pretty much every time I fly with them.

Barcelona will be playing Real Sociedad that weekend, so that'll be worth going to itself.

Since I'll be there for 4 days, I may as well spend a day in another Catalan town down the coast. Anywhere that is within around 2 hours on a Train would be worthwhile I'd say, as the train ride down the Catalan coast would be nice itself. Maybe L'ametlla de mar?

@SirBalon

15 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Just booked off to Mexico (Maya Riviera) for 10 days in just under two weeks. Cant wait.

12barcelo-maya-grand-resort_resort-view.

Barcelo-Maya-Beach-Aerial-001.aspx

Let me know how it goes mate as I want to go to Mexico, although not sure which part yet, I will probably need to do more research so that I don't end up going to a part where there is currently a war going on between the army and Cartels..... It'll be my big trip at some stage after I've done a few European cities I've never been to such as Hamburg and Lisbon.

It was out of USA, Canada or Mexico and I think Mexico would suit me the most. The only thing that worries me is the food as I've never really been a fan of Mexican food.

Anyway, I've just booked Barcelona for 4 days in March, I will obviously catch a game while there, but then my plan is to explore the fuck out of Barcelona for a few days and then spend a day here:-

Have you been @SirBalon? There is also Salou, but I've been there before as a young un' and want to visit somewhere else. The city of Tarragona also looks nice and is only a 30 minute train ride, rather than the 1.5 hours that it'd take to get to L'Amentlla de Mar. Tarragona seems like a perfect place to visit for a day out. A lot of history there and plenty to see without the need of really spending much money.

Speaking of Hamburg, is it as great as everyone says? Sounds like a brilliant city to me and I've become intrigued lately. @nudge, @Tommy

Just now, Carnivore Chris said:

Speaking of Hamburg, is it as great as everyone says? Sounds like a brilliant city to me and I've become intrigued lately. @nudge, @Tommy

I've never been there :4_joy: But it's the next city in Germany that I want to visit the most. I know many people that visited Hamburg, and no one said one bad word about it. Quite the contrary actually. 

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I've never been there :4_joy: But it's the next city in Germany that I want to visit the most. I know many people that visited Hamburg, and no one said one bad word about it. Quite the contrary actually. 

Yeah, someone who I was working with last year has been all over the world and says that Hamburg is the best place he's visited.

10 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Let me know how it goes mate as I want to go to Mexico, although not sure which part yet, I will probably need to do more research so that I don't end up going to a part where there is currently a war going on between the army and Cartels..... It'll be my big trip at some stage after I've done a few European cities I've never been to such as Hamburg and Lisbon.

It was out of USA, Canada or Mexico and I think Mexico would suit me the most. The only thing that worries me is the food as I've never really been a fan of Mexican food.

Anyway, I've just booked Barcelona for 4 days in March, I will obviously catch a game while there, but then my plan is to explore the fuck out of Barcelona for a few days and then spend a day here:-

Have you been @SirBalon? There is also Salou, but I've been there before as a young un' and want to visit somewhere else. The city of Tarragona also looks nice and is only a 30 minute train ride, rather than the 1.5 hours that it'd take to get to L'Amentlla de Mar. Tarragona seems like a perfect place to visit for a day out. A lot of history there and plenty to see without the need of really spending much money.

To be honest, I haven't been there and it looks beautiful. I've explored practically the whole of Catalonia but there are patches I haven't seen. Even the city of Barcelona itself has many small secret places that need seeing and can't be done in one holiday. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Hamburg is class. Granted the last time I've been is more than 10 years ago but I doubt it changed all that much. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

So this will be my 3rd time in Mexico I can give you alittle info. This will be my second time in a resort in the Maya Riviera area (cancun/Carribean side) personally I think its the best for an all inclusive type deal if thats what your looking for. The food in an all inclusive is a mixed bag of everything and almost anything so that shouldnt be a worry for you. The complex were staying at has like 20 or 25 restaurants from Japanese (cook it in front of you) to a steak house to several buffet places which rotate menu's daily. Anyways last time I was in the area was about 10 years ago and back then we rented a car and did a little traveling around, went to chichen Itza and a few things but I wouldnt do that now. Playa Del Carmen which is very close was one of the cities that previously or still has? a turf war and shot a bunch of people in a club. If you still in the resort/tourest spots and ruins youll be fine.

The other spot Ive been to is to is Loreto which is on the california baja surf. Its a little x pat town and it was alot of fun, we rented a little condo type place with my buddy and his family. Completely different experience but awesome just the same. Right on the water we took about a 10-15 min boat ride to a little island with a cove off it with white sandy beaches and the pure blue/green carribean kind of water that was basically untouched. The town has a mix of x pats and locals and has one big hotel and a bunch of mexican eateries. The best food I probably had was a california guy that moved down with his mexican wife and started up a place that was a bit of a fusion of foods. He had a wood burning bbq that he cooked flank stank on and my god it was good, generally the steaks in mexico arent great and he mentioned he didnt serve steak on the menu until he found one that met his standards. 

One of these days I want to get to Mexico city and a day of the dead festival.... still on my bucket list.

USA and Canada are completely different trips that goes without saying. I know the west coast well as thats where Ive lived and traveled most so I can help you there if you need. Im actually heading to Portland for a weekish later in December, Ive been there a few times before, Oregon in general is beautfiul, probably the one place in the States I could concider living in.

• Upvote 1

A lad who my mother works with goes to Mexico every year and seems more and more eager to go again whenever he comes back, I'm not sure where exactly but will have to ask him. It seems like a much more common holiday destination these days for Europeans than it used to be, especially Cancun. 

It has to be said though, that Mexico is huge and you don't actually realise this when looking at a map. Massive country really, so there are plenty of options there. 

If I was to ever venture to the USA, then the Westcoast would certainly be more appealing than any other part. New York would also be an option due to it being a relitevely short flight compared to the other destinations. It'd be a good starting point since the longest flight I've done is about 4.5 hours. It would also offer the opportunity to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and visit Toronto while there, considering how it's only a short flight away. 

• Upvote 1