talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

• Administrator
Just now, Toinho said:

That’s insane. I can’t go anywhere for that price haha 

Surely you get discount to Japan? Like a nandos black card if you go there loads of times? :x

• 4 weeks later...

Next trip for me is going to be Lisbon @Machado @ASF then onto Andalucía and might aswell end it off in Catalunya since it'd be rude not to.

Could be a long while off of course but if a miracle happened, I'd do it in October or sometime. In fact I'd literally be going away right now as that was the plan originally.

Edited by Carnivore Chris
  • Upvote 2

Can’t see you guys being able to go anywhere until 2021. Would be insane otherwise. Hopefully I’m proven wrong. There’s talk of us opening borders to NZ. See what happens there. I’ve been once but if that was open by July I’d be tempted to go for a cheeky snowboard trip. 

9 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Next trip for me is going to be Lisbon @Machado @ASF then onto Andalucía and might aswell end it off in Catalunya since it'd be rude not to.

Could be a long while off of course but if a miracle happened, I'd do it in October or sometime. In fact I'd literally be going away right now as that was the plan originally.

Tell me when you're here. We'll have a beer.

On 05/05/2020 at 23:03, ASF said:

Tell me when you're here. We'll have a beer.

On 05/05/2020 at 23:33, Machado said:

Let me know :hh:

Yeah definitely. I will have to learn a little bit of Portuguese. If I do, then it'd be easier learning it from Spanish to Portuguese rather than English to Portuguese.

Do you live in Lisbon itself? @Machado and @ASF you live closer to Lisbon than Porto, don't you?

On 08/05/2020 at 15:21, Carnivore Chris said:

Yeah definitely. I will have to learn a little bit of Portuguese. If I do, then it'd be easier learning it from Spanish to Portuguese rather than English to Portuguese.

Do you live in Lisbon itself? @Machado and @ASF you live closer to Lisbon than Porto, don't you?

I live 55 Km away from Lisbon, but I work in Lisbon, so it won't be a problem to organize a meeting.

I do have family in Porto, though.

Edited by ASF

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to have been to all these by the end of 2021:-

Trip 1: Portugal(Lisbon), Spain(various parts of Andalucia and various parts of Catalunya, ending in Barcelona to go and see someone) over a few weeks.

Trip 2: Italy and Switzerland(where in each country? I hadn't decided, probably Roma in Italy) and maybe end it with a day in Germany over a week or so.

Trip 3: New York and somewhere in Canada, 5 days in each.

Trip 4: Florida(Miami?), Colombia(Medellin), Mexico(hadn't decided which part) over 2 weeks.

Had it not been for Covid-19(should it not be 20?), then the money would have been there for the first 3 trips already(without going skint at the same time) and by the time I had gotten through them, I'd have had money for the 4th. That was atleast the intention. I'd have already been and done the first one and would be planning the 2nd now.

With trip 4, you can take direct flights between them all and back to Manchestoh, which is why I looked into those, some other countries are a farce to reach without tons of stop overs and nonsense. I'd squeeze Jamaica in between Colombia and Mexico, but for some reason, getting flights between those countries is difficult, I don't know why? I can always look into it though as a couple of days in Jamaica would be worth it if you're travelling that distance. I have looked into all these and know for certain that you can travel between them, so the decisions have been based on a mix of countries I'd like to visit and the convenience of being able to travel between them. I also see a nice mix there.

One of the main reasons for New York is(or was) to become more accustomed to longer flights. There are also some fantastic Canadian cities only a short flight away, presenting the opportunity to visit two new countries at once.

We'll have to see what happens, because I won't be affording fuck all if this bullshit continues. Having to put it on hold isn't a big deal as you can go once travel restrictions are lifted again, however it's the money being spent without any being earned. Making money through all this would have been a blessing in disguise, but losing so much is a massive set back. How @Stan is right now would have been perfect, i.e not taking a financial blow(or not too much of one) due to still being able to work, while not spending much due to the lock down. But we'll see, I can still redeem myself if I'm back in work within a month or so.

Oh well, fuck Mexican beaches let's go to Southampton @Lucas

Where will you be heading first when you can? @nudge, @Inti Brian

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Where will you be heading first when you can? @nudge, @Inti Brian

At first I will be heading back to SE Asia, as I have been involuntary stuck in Europe for months now haha. 

For holiday, I planned going to the Philippines before this started, so I might just do that. Although I'm also very tempted to do a proper Thailand trip again... Definitely somewhere in Asia, either way!

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Making money through all this would have been a blessing in disguise, but losing so much is a massive set back. How @Stan is right now would have been perfect, i.e not taking a financial blow(or not too much of one) due to still being able to work, while not spending much due to the lock down. But we'll see, I can still redeem myself if I'm back in work within a month or so.

I won't lie, I find myself in a very fortunate position given the circumstances. 

Having said that, all the money I'm earning/saving is going towards a wedding! 

My 'multiple holidays a year' days are probably over for a long time xD

Our honeymoon is gonna be fucking mint after all this though. 

1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Oh well, fuck Mexican beaches let's go to Southampton @Lucas

Weather is great down here but the Costa del Bournemouth has the beaches for sure. Probably 2nd only to Cornwall England wise.

I'm sure our trips will materialise eventually and they will feel all the more worthwhile after this pandemic.

Lots of ideas myself but I'll wait till we get a rough idea when its safe and then probably have a blow out.

Edited by Lucas

15 hours ago, nudge said:

At first I will be heading back to SE Asia, as I have been involuntary stuck in Europe for months now haha. 

For holiday, I planned going to the Philippines before this started, so I might just do that. Although I'm also very tempted to do a proper Thailand trip again... Definitely somewhere in Asia, either way!

Ahh you should come to the Americas with me in the near future.

15 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

@Carnivore Chris

The southern areas of Spain and Portugal mate are some of the most beautiful in Europe.

Hit me up if the time comes.

I've been to Malaga, I went there with a lass about 9 years ago and it was great, although It would be nice to go there again and explore fuck out of it as it's a seriously nice city and there is a lot of natural beauty surrounding it, el caminito del rey also looks class if you've ever been there?

Go to Malaga from Lisbon(which is easy as Malaga has an airport), then take a train to Sevilla and somewhere else in Andalucia and then end up in Catalunya from there.

I've even been through all the costs and would it would work out alright, probably even cheaper when it actually comes down to it. This is one trip I should still be able to do whatever happens. It's not necessary to go in summer either as there is Autumn and Spring. In fact, it'll be better during those seasons to be honest.

14 hours ago, Lucas said:

Weather is great down here but the Costa del Bournemouth has the beaches for sure. Probably 2nd only to Cornwall England wise.

I'm sure our trips will materialise eventually and they will feel all the more worthwhile after this pandemic.

Lots of ideas myself but I'll wait till we get a rough idea when its safe and then probably have a blow out.

That's what I actually meant to say, Bournemouth xD.

At this rate, it'll be city trips to Liverpool and Manchester, followed by days at the beach in Blackpool. Might even do a few days in Burnley, some great architecture there. Maybe even pop over to Grimsby if I'm feeling adventurous, there's a lot of palm trees there.

15 hours ago, Stan said:

I won't lie, I find myself in a very fortunate position given the circumstances. 

Having said that, all the money I'm earning/saving is going towards a wedding! 

My 'multiple holidays a year' days are probably over for a long time xD

Our honeymoon is gonna be fucking mint after all this though. 

Where are you going for that? Anywhere planned yet?

Edited by Carnivore Chris

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Where are you going for that? Anywhere planned yet?

There's a few options (even before COVID19 we thought about these).

It depends if we take a trip straight after wedding. It may be difficult as the missus will be moving here and also starting a new job, so depends on that. The alternative is a mini-moon - short trip probably in Europe and then we can save properly for a bigger proper honeymoon later on.

Ideally - it would be Thailand & one of Sri Lanka/Mauritius/Maldives/Seychelles together, mixing in some travelling as well as pure relaxation. 

Or a trip the other way mixing in various parts of America and/or Central America/Caribbean. If we're doing the latter, it would have to be around Nov-Jan anyway so that we avoid hurricane season. 

Any mini-moon would probably be one of the Balearic or Canary Islands. Likely to be around September as it is which would be perfect. 

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Ahh you should come to the Americas with me in the near future.

I would like to go to Cuba... Actually saw cheap flights early this year and was considering it. 

USA doesn't interest me a single bit. Central and South America would be cool, but that would have to be a few month trip. Not a fan of running through numerous places and countries in short time! 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

I would like to go to Cuba... Actually saw cheap flights early this year and was considering it. 

USA doesn't interest me a single bit. Central and South America would be cool, but that would have to be a few month trip. Not a fan of running through numerous places and countries in short time! 

Yeah too many countries at once involves too much travelling, that's why I'd just do 2/3 at the most at once, unless like you said, you were going for longer. I think 5-6 days(a total of 15-18 days) in 3 different places is still worth it though if said places are within a 2 or so hour flight from each other, but too many flights and bullshit inbetween would be tiresome more than anything.

Canada is probably more interesting to be honest. But a reason for starting in the USA is because it's easier to get to from Manchester. A good start to become more accustomed to longer flights.

Argentina and Uruguay are 2 that stand out but actually reaching them is a farce and this is when you'd be better going for at least month or so. Getting to Florida from the UK is easy(and I'd love to go fishing there!) albeit being a 10 hour flight, then getting to Colombia from there is easy itself(and the flight isn't too long, a few hours), as is reaching Mexico from Colombia. Then getting back from Mexico to the UK is also easy, this is why I believe a 2/3 week trip would work well within these 3 destinations.

Cuba seems beautiful(the beaches and sea especially, they look photo-shopped they are so stunning), I know a family who go there every year almost. If not there, it's Costa Rica.

New York/Canada is also a good starting point for me as the flight is around 7/8 hours, so it's a great start in becoming more accustomed to long flights when the longest I've been on was probably only about 4 hours.

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Yeah too many countries at once involves too much travelling, that's why I'd just do 2/3 at the most at once, unless like you said, you were going for longer. I think 5-6 days(a total of 15-18 days) in 3 different places is still worth it though if said places are within a 2 or so hour flight from each other, but too many flights and bullshit inbetween would be tiresome more than anything.

Canada is probably more interesting to be honest. But a reason for starting in the USA is because it's easier to get to from Manchester. A good start to become more accustomed to longer flights.

Argentina and Uruguay are 2 that stand out but actually reaching them is a farce and this is when you'd be better going for at least month or so. Getting to Florida from the UK is easy(and I'd love to go fishing there!) albeit being a 10 hour flight, then getting to Colombia from there is easy itself(and the flight isn't too long, a few hours), as is reaching Mexico from Colombia. Then getting back from Mexico to the UK is also easy, this is why I believe a 2/3 week trip would work well within these 3 destinations.

Cuba seems beautiful(the beaches and sea especially, they look photo-shopped they are so stunning), I know a family who go there every year almost. If not there, it's Costa Rica.

New York/Canada is also a good starting point for me as the flight is around 7/8 hours, so it's a great start in becoming more accustomed to long flights when the longest I've been on was probably only about 4 hours.

I am used to long haul flights (but still hate them with passion), so anything less than 15 hours sounds great, really 😂

How are rail networks in South America? If they're good, then it's another option, but I don't think it's a viable way of easily traveling through numerous countries there? 

You should check out Season 2 of BBC's The Race Across the World, by the way. It's all South America. A great watch... 

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I love a holiday but I’m not planning anything. Experts over here reckon international air travel won’t return to pre-COVID-19 levels until 2023

Maybe won't return to the pre-Covid levels, but there will definitely be regular passenger flights either way. The biggest hurdle for any international holiday at this point would be each country's entry requirements, not much point in going for a holiday if you have to self-isolate/be quarantined for 14 days after arrival, haha. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Maybe won't return to the pre-Covid levels, but there will definitely be regular passenger flights either way. The biggest hurdle for any international holiday at this point would be each country's entry requirements, not much point in going for a holiday if you have to self-isolate/be quarantined for 14 days after arrival, haha. 

Agreed. Think Italy are planning to open up their international borders in a couple of weeks. Several other countries around Europe probably follow suit if they haven't done so already. 

We've got Malta booked in September so hoping we'll be fine there (their case/death levels has remained very low throughout all of this). I don't care about coming back and having to isolate for 7-14 days. I'd just love a holiday after all of this dies down xD