talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

On 5/20/2017 at 7:55 AM, Anton said:

Just booked a cheeky solo trip to the far north east of Australia (Cairns). Pretty excited, 5/6 days in July to jump out of a plane, go for a cheeky snorkle/great barrier reef and stay at a backpackers to be a naughty boy.

image.adapt.1663.medium.jpg

Cairns.png

Backpacking in Cairns? So cliched!xD

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ...Dan said:

Off to Nice at the end of the month. Will try to fit in a daytrip to Antibes or Èze.

Anyone been before?

Yeah you'll love it mate, beautiful city.

I was young when I went so unfortunately I can't give a more informed opinion on it but I remember it being really nice. A place I would like to go back to.

Edited by carefreeluke

I go home tomorrow, its been a fun trip, although its definitely a weekend trip only a the city has a few touristy areas and the rest are on the outskirts with the views of the mountains and the lakes. I didn't have time for that sadly,.

The only things I have yet to do are going to a traditional food place and buying some souvenirs. Huancayo has among the best food in the country, and this is the country that is considered to have the best food in the world. Its saying a lot.

The city has its good and bad spots but some of the best areas are lovely - like San Carlos. The area where the Parque Wanka is located.  The taxi's here are much better than in Lima. Extremely cheap and they function better, where as in Lima most just fall to pieces and usually refuse to drive you to somewhere that's slightly far. The tourist attractions are cool and the parks are all beautiful. The only one that's disappointed me was Cerrito La Libertad which I expected to be a bit higher up to give you a good panorama of the city. Wasn't the case.

The people here are very friendly. All are willing to tell you a bit about the city and they've been welcoming. Don't even get me started on how welcoming the Sport Huancayo team was. They are all lovely people.

Lastly, the altitude hasn't affected me too much. Huancayo is 3200 metres above sea level and on the bus ride here which had gone as high as 5000 metres, I felt a bit uncomfortable, but when I actually got here, the only real challenge is climbing up the stairs. Whenever I go up to my room in the hostel, I lie down for 10 seconds before I'm literally out of air. I try to walk a bit slower when I'm here to not run out of breath.  I will say its been very cold though. Around 4 degrees.

A few snaps

5f4535f98c1ba8e530f3800a176e8a0d.jpg

90ee1c569f989ccd63b8593778b3b03b.jpg

7f136602c5e3e293e9010cfbadeaaba8.png

178ecc7c3e040df1338a1507d2c4230c.jpg

659f16704b57a21e585ebdfeb47017dc.jpg

6884bc08fc0b260ba17d28b456e85b7c.jpg

9d4b0cf8f5e662d367fb5d91eafe60ac.png

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Storts said:

The third world fascinates me, thanks for the pics Brian 

To be fair, the third world is more fascinating than the first world... to me anyways. More tradition and better nature in those areas. It's really a matter of where you're going and if you can deal with shit facilities. 

• Subscriber

I usually prefer travelling to less developed countries as well, mostly because there are more contrasts, they tend to be less predictable and less affected by the negative side of globalisation. While differences between developed western countries obviously still exist, the life there (especially in big cities) is essentially the same with relatively slight variations - same infrastructure, same array of cafes, restaurants, museums and monuments, same entertainment, same nightlife; it all looks pretty much the same and for me, it gets boring after a while.

Just got back home, and I really enjoyed it. Very traditional city with great food and lots of festivals. They even played a criolla version of the song Despacito xD

Last picture I will upload before closing this part of the journal. Took this on the trip back, 5000 metres above sea level.

c383b7ed8af35597f4d6eedd3aa1b654.png

Rome was absolutely incredible as a city, never been anywhere with such beauty continuously. Puts a city like London, which I love, well in the shade. Will definitely go back, maybe in a cooler month as the heat did make getting around difficult at the peak of the day, hopefully include Florence too.

Hoping to get to Berlin towards the end of the year.

Going to Berlin next weekend on a Stag. Where are the best places for a drink?

Not going to spend all weekend on it mind. As well as the usual 'Stag activites', I plan to do sight seeing on the Sunday. What are the essentials?

I'm thinking Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, Checkpoint Charlie, TV Tower and what's left of the Wall.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Stan said:

xD fuck.

Whereabouts in Greece are you?

We're in Zakynthos, the resort is nice, surrounding areas aren't much to write home about to be honest.

The weather is incredible though, hotel is mint and food is good too and that's enough for me. A week is more than adequate. I'd go stir crazy in this heat for more than a week.

You on a beer holiday or missus vacation? 

On 20/05/2017 at 0:55 PM, Anton said:

Just booked a cheeky solo trip to the far north east of Australia (Cairns). Pretty excited, 5/6 days in July to jump out of a plane, go for a cheeky snorkle/great barrier reef and stay at a backpackers to be a naughty boy.

image.adapt.1663.medium.jpg

Cairns.png

Loved Cairns, spent two months there. You'll be completely surrounded by backpackers haha