talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

12 hours ago, Rab said:

18 days until Orlando!

Anyone been that can recommend the good shit to do?

I went for 2 and a half weeks late April/early May.

Obviously did the parks. Some were great, some good and some not so good. If you love Star Wars then Hollywood Studios is cool, especially the fireworks/hologram display at the end of the night.

Make full use of the waterparks as they are endless fun. Don't go on a weekend, only a weekday as it's far emptier.

If you are into a couple lazy days at the beach, go to Clearwater. It's about an hour and half drive but what a stunning beach. Well worth it especially if you want some chill time. You can surf there too.

Other things I'd recommend are swimming with Manatee's at Crystal River, it's quite surreal. You can also do an Airboat ride through the everglades and see plenty of Croc's but I wouldn't say you'd miss out if you didn't. Not really into Kennedy Space Centre but lot's of people seem to go there if you're into that kinda thing. Also a place called Forever Florida, a big cattle ranch where you can do horseback riding, Ziplines, a kinda Go Ape thing going on and swamp-buggy tours.

Make sure you do Discovery Cove. Amazing. Snorkling with all those fish and rays in the water is class. I did the Dolphin swim which was great too but again, it's not essential.

We also loved the little Mini Golf courses they have out there. Pretty good fun to be fair.

Go down to CityWalk and Disney Springs for a couple night's out, really good atmosphere down there with lot's of entertainment going on.

If you are fussed about info for the parks then the main thing I'd say is hit the busier one's in the week and leave the smaller one's to a weekend. Plan out your Fast Passes if you are doing any at any of the Disney Parks and if you are going to places like SeaWorld, Busch Gardens etc, it's a good investment getting those drink cups that are refillable because you can use them across several parks in the same category.

Some pretty quality places to go eat as well like Texas Roadhouse, Applebee's etc. I don't think there was one point where I managed to eat a starter, main course and a dessert in one sitting. Portions were just too big.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

I went for 2 and a half weeks late April/early May.

Obviously did the parks. Some were great, some good and some not so good. If you love Star Wars then Hollywood Studios is cool, especially the fireworks/hologram display at the end of the night.

Make full use of the waterparks as they are endless fun. Don't go on a weekend, only a weekday as it's far emptier.

If you are into a couple lazy days at the beach, go to Clearwater. It's about an hour and half drive but what a stunning beach. Well worth it especially if you want some chill time. You can surf there too.

Other things I'd recommend are swimming with Manatee's at Crystal River, it's quite surreal. You can also do an Airboat ride through the everglades and see plenty of Croc's but I wouldn't say you'd miss out if you didn't. Not really into Kennedy Space Centre but lot's of people seem to go there if you're into that kinda thing. Also a place called Forever Florida, a big cattle ranch where you can do horseback riding, Ziplines, a kinda Go Ape thing going on and swamp-buggy tours.

Make sure you do Discovery Cove. Amazing. Snorkling with all those fish and rays in the water is class. I did the Dolphin swim which was great too but again, it's not essential.

We also loved the little Mini Golf courses they have out there. Pretty good fun to be fair.

Go down to CityWalk and Disney Springs for a couple night's out, really good atmosphere down there with lot's of entertainment going on.

If you are fussed about info for the parks then the main thing I'd say is hit the busier one's in the week and leave the smaller one's to a weekend. Plan out your Fast Passes if you are doing any at any of the Disney Parks and if you are going to places like SeaWorld, Busch Gardens etc, it's a good investment getting those drink cups that are refillable because you can use them across several parks in the same category.

Some pretty quality places to go eat as well like Texas Roadhouse, Applebee's etc. I don't think there was one point where I managed to eat a starter, main course and a dessert in one sitting. Portions were just too big.

Glorious. Thanks mate. Clearwater sounds good. I'm planning on driving down to Miami as well which will be fun.

9 hours ago, Rab said:

Glorious. Thanks mate. Clearwater sounds good. I'm planning on driving down to Miami as well which will be fun.

No dramas, any info you want just ask.

I never went to Miami. That's a long old drive that, looking at 3 1/2 to 4 hours but to be fair I enjoyed driving out there. If you've never driven on American roads before, you won't have anything to worry about. It's far easier than here, especially if you're driving an automatic. No roundabouts. Just remember you can turn right when a light is red unless it tells you no.

And petrol is so cheap out there. Cost me 30 dollars to fill up.

The driving is probably the thing I'm most looking forward to. I've rented a convertible Mustang so it's going to be amazing.

I've been reading up on all the driving related shit and how it's different from here. You need to go in and pay first before you can fill up your car which completely baffles my mind but whatever. It shall be fun!

• Subscriber

None, get it sorted locally on your own when you arrive; it's easy and usually much cheaper. Unless you know it's so busy that it's going to be sold out, then by all means book it in advance. In that case I prefer contacting the company which offers the tour directly though.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Spike said:

The Philippines is on of the most beautiful places in the world; if you can you can stomach wading through the disgusting stench and rubbish to get to the beauty. 

I have some acquaintances living in Palawan; it's gorgeous.  

11 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I'm hardly off TripAdvisor. 

Fantastic site to find new restaurants and hotels.

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

None, get it sorted locally on your own when you arrive; it's easy and usually much cheaper. Unless you know it's so busy that it's going to be sold out, then by all means book it in advance. In that case I prefer contacting the company which offers the tour directly though.

Mostly looking for tours to the mountainy areas when I'm in Huancayo. The city is supposed to be awful but the area's around it look stunning. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Do you guys use Viator, Tripadvisor or other for tours?

TripAdvisor has been a saviour for my last 2 years' worth of holidays.

Also got our Kruger Park tour in South Africa done through Viator. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I have some acquaintances living in Palawan; it's gorgeous.  

When I was on the island of Palawan I witnessed something quite disturbing. I was standing on a road adjacent to the bench. There were many people around, it was almost a makeshift village on the docks. I was waiting for our boat and an 'aso' (that is a Filipine street-dog) walked passed me. I didn't pay it any mind till I saw something in my peripheral vision. It still send shivers through my skin, the dog was missing half of it's skull. The brain was visible and infested with maggots. This wouldn't not have bothered me if it was simply a dead dog lying on the ground but this thing was very much alive and nonchalantly walking through the street.

• Subscriber
Just now, Spike said:

When I was on the island of Palawan I witnessed something quite disturbing. I was standing on a road adjacent to the bench. There were many people around, it was almost a makeshift village on the docks. I was waiting for our boat and an 'aso' (that is a Filipine street-dog) walked passed me. I didn't pay it any mind till I saw something in my peripheral vision. It still send shivers through my skin, the dog was missing half of it's skull. The brain was visible and infested with maggots. This wouldn't not have bothered me if it was simply a dead dog lying on the ground but this thing was very much alive and nonchalantly walking through the street.

Jesus fucking Christ.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

That being said it wasn't as bad as all the people living in shanty towns on top of graveyards. :( 

Yeah, saw enough of that (or similar) in Thailand and Cambodia...

On 5/13/2017 at 0:35 PM, LFCMike said:

Going Malta in September for 10 days

On 5/14/2017 at 6:53 PM, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm also going to Malta, in July. Supposed to be roasting.

Going to Rome in June too, can't wait.

Can only echo what others have said already, you'll love it.

Went when I was younger (so perhaps wouldn't have appreciated the place as much as I would now) but still it was enough to hit me at the time, beautiful place.

Just booked my trip to Huancayo. I'll be travelling by bus meaning I'll be over 4500 metres above sea level at some points. Will need some coca beans or whatever they're called. 

I've only been that high up once (cusco) so hopefully altitude sickness doesn't come into play! :P 

Edited by Guest

Just booked a cheeky solo trip to the far north east of Australia (Cairns). Pretty excited, 5/6 days in July to jump out of a plane, go for a cheeky snorkle/great barrier reef and stay at a backpackers to be a naughty boy.

image.adapt.1663.medium.jpg

Cairns.png

On 5/18/2017 at 6:50 PM, Rab said:

The driving is probably the thing I'm most looking forward to. I've rented a convertible Mustang so it's going to be amazing.

I've been reading up on all the driving related shit and how it's different from here. You need to go in and pay first before you can fill up your car which completely baffles my mind but whatever. It shall be fun!

Proper jealous. I haven't been to Florida for a couple of years. Love it out there. First time out I rented a convertable as well. Gotta be done, but won't lie, all the rest of the times since I've rented the biggest most comfortable beast possible with Antarctic level A/C. Mirror all that @Lucas said. Naples is a nice place to visit as well. I'd suggest doing at least an overnight for Miami, and make sure you take a look around Florida Keys.

Promised myself a trip on a Harley next time I'm out.

Cuba is next on my list.

• 2 weeks later...

Not posted about it since I got back but had a belta time in Vegas.

Didn't really know what to expect before I went but it is somewhere I will be going to again. It isn't the same type of holiday as my trips over to Ibiza but enjoyed it just as much. I'll be honest I wasn't a big fan of the Americans before I went but they are spot on, genuinely decent welcoming people. Some of them are as thick as fuck mind, I was accused of being Australian, Scottish and Southern cunting African.

The hotels and the strip it's self over there are very impressive, loads going on, plenty of places to go to and see and the food and drink was class.

Best day I had over there was hiring a car and me and my mates driving to the Grand Canyon. Was still wrecked from the night before and was having a good drink in the car so the crack was top notch in the car. Was interesting driving through the trailer towns and scenery etc. 

Had a few moments upsetting the locals and causing havoc as well of course, wouldn't have it any other way.

Edited by Any O'Brien
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Any O'Brien said:

Not posted about it since I got back but had a belta time in Vegas.

Didn't really know what to expect before I went but it is somewhere I will be going to again. It isn't the same type of holiday as my trips over to Ibiza but enjoyed it just as much. I'll be honest I wasn't a big fan of the Americans before I went but they are spot on, genuinely decent welcoming people. Some of them are as thick as fuck mind, I was accused of being Australian, Scottish and Southern cunting African.

The hotels and the strip it's self over there are very impressive, loads going on, plenty of places to go to and see and the food and drink was class.

Best day I had over there was hiring a car and me and my mates driving to the Grand Canyon. Was still wrecked from the night before and was having a good drink in the car so the crack was top notch in the car. Was interesting driving through the trailer towns and scenery etc. 

Had a few moments upsetting the locals and causing havoc as well of course, wouldn't have it any other way.

Grand Canyon is fucking amazing mate. Love it there. We took a helicopter ride to it from Vegas. Absolutely stunning. Clouded over a bit in the afternoon but saw enough of it to be satisfied and overwhelmed by just how big it is.

You gamble much while in Vegas? Where did you stay on the strip?

48 minutes ago, Stan said:

Grand Canyon is fucking amazing mate. Love it there. We took a helicopter ride to it from Vegas. Absolutely stunning. Clouded over a bit in the afternoon but saw enough of it to be satisfied and overwhelmed by just how big it is.

You gamble much while in Vegas? Where did you stay on the strip?

Didn't gamble much mate, obviously had a bit of a gamble but not loads. I agree the Canyon was impressive, going to do the helicopter next time but found it great being in the car driving there through the desert.

Stayed in Planet Hollywood mate. I'll hoy some photo's on at some point.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Any O'Brien said:

Didn't gamble much mate, obviously had a bit of a gamble but not loads. I agree the Canyon was impressive, going to do the helicopter next time but found it great being in the car driving there through the desert.

Stayed in Planet Hollywood mate. I'll hoy some photo's on at some point.

yeah if I go next I'd do a road trip with mates like you have. Went with family last time so everything was already arranged and I was too young to gamble so plenty to make up for.

Stayed there as well! Met Ryan Seacrest and Bruce Willis there which was pretty cool. 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

yeah if I go next I'd do a road trip with mates like you have. Went with family last time so everything was already arranged and I was too young to gamble so plenty to make up for.

Stayed there as well! Met Ryan Seacrest and Bruce Willis there which was pretty cool. 

Didn't see any celebrities really when I was as there. Although we were walking past the fountains and there was loads of people there waiting about and I thought they were for the fountains but infact Drake was doing a gig there for free ha.