talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Gonna be completely honest with you, I've never even heard of the place xD

I've never been to New Brunswick either. I would love to go to St Pierre and Miquelon though which is a french overseas territory.

If you want my opinion on the Canadian cities I've been:

Quebec City: Most European city in the country. It's a really sound place and architecturally brilliant 

Toronto: Most North American City in the country. It's a wonderful place to live but it's kind of overshadowed by New York in my opinion.

Vancouver: Gave me real Auckland vibes. It's so similar as there's nowhere near as many people on the streets as Toronto, and quite a calm place in general.

Terrace: You can insert any town of similar stature in BC here really. I went to visit a friend and I loved it, but it's definitely not "unique". I heard the best town of this type in BC is Kelowna.

Iqaluit: Damn expensive, but it's the closest you'll get to an arctic feel with natives and a completely different culture. It's also quite a nice town in itself. 

Montreal: Overrated in my opinion, but still not a bad place.

Winnipeg: Absolute shithole.

Hamilton: Also a bit of a shithole but the main downtown is nice and has a lot of cool stores. If you stop by Toronto I would recommend checking it out.

Niagara Falls: Way better on the Canadian side. The USA side is a massive shithole. It's really an amusement park, lots of games and things to do here just without the roller coasters.

Gaspesie: Out in the middle of nowhere. Wonderful place to go to if you want to get away from the more urbanized Quebec City or Montreal. Kind of like Terrace. Not as obscure but more out in the sticks I'd say.

Ottawa: It's basically our own Washington DC.

I'm not including suburbs mind or towns in the GTA area that are really all the same. Hamilton isn't a suburb so I included them.

I don't really care much for the big cities, to be honest. Sure, most of them usually have quite a few things worth seeing and the ones with good nightlife are fine for a couple of nights for that reason alone, but other than that, I quickly find them too crowded and mostly tiresome. Have no interest in stores and shopping malls, little interest in art galleries and museums bar few exceptions. Instead give me a mid-sized town with more natural surroundings and options for outdoor activities, some good dining options and a few decent pubs in it, and I'm golden xD 

1 hour ago, Inti Brian said:

I've been on many bus trips in South America and it depends on the roads you take. it can be dangerous admittedly but some of the scenery seen in the Andes can be breathtaking.

The roads in Peru are surprisingly solid. They are just a bit long and of course can be dangerous in the mountains itself. 

Argentina and Chile's roads I'm sure are solid, where as in Brazil they are a mess. I remember when I crossed the Peru-Brazil border, the highway was full of holes after where as in Peru they were impeccable.

Colombia will be the first South American country I'll end up in probably, due to the convenience and the fact it seems alot safter to travel there than Brazil nowadays. Medellin, Cartagena or Santa Marta seem fine to visit now compared to the past.

Argentina and Uruguay are difficult to reach from England without alot of stopovers. Colombia is itself but if you went there after a week in Florida, it's straight a forward flight, as would going to Mexico from Colombia. Then you can take flights straight back to Manchester from various parts of Mexico. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Colombia will be the first South American country I'll end up in probably, due to the convenience and the fact it seems alot safter to travel there than Brazil nowadays. Medellin, Cartagena or Santa Marta seem fine to visit now compared to the past.

And San Andres/Providencia!

15 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Argentina and Uruguay are difficult to reach from England without alot of stopovers. Colombia is itself but if you went there after a week in Florida, it's straight a forward flight, as would going to Mexico from Colombia. Then you can take flights straight back to Manchester from various parts of Mexico. 

We all know why you’re choosing Colombia mate........:ph34r:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

We all know why you’re choosing Colombia mate........:ph34r:

Haha that's actually not even the reason why as it's not really my thing anymore but I would likely try some given how cheap it'd be :ph34r:.

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

And San Andres/Providencia!

Bogota as well probably.

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Haha that's actually not even the reason why as it's not really my thing anymore but I would likely try some given how cheap it'd be

TF365's very own Pablo Escobar about to be rise up from the ashes... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Halifax, Nova Scotia is on my list.  Visiting before deciding to emigrate. Need to get Perth done as well. East or West 🤔

Canada is number one on my list. 

West! Depending on work opportunities..

9 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Anyway @DeadLinesman I was actually going to ask you about the States since you seem to go there a bit. Which states have you been to mate?

I’ve been pretty much all over mate. Tend to holiday with kids now so mainly Florida (but I fucking love Disney). 

However. Done pretty much the whole of the West Coast from Washington state down to San Diego Cali. East coast Boston Mass, New York State, Maryland, Carolina’s, Georgia, Florida.

Centrally, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.

I want to do the Dakotas, Minnesota (catch a Vikings game), and the northern lakes.

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’ve been pretty much all over mate. Tend to holiday with kids now so mainly Florida (but I fucking love Disney). 

However. Done pretty much the whole of the West Coast from Washington state down to San Diego Cali. East coast Boston Mass, New York State, Maryland, Carolina’s, Georgia, Florida.

Centrally, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.

I want to do the Dakotas, Minnesota (catch a Vikings game), and the northern lakes.

New York would be a good start for me due to the short flight in comparison to the rest, but I would actually say that only 4 states interested me anyway. New York(mainly for the hip hop culture), Florida, Nevada and Los Angeles. The rest of the parts in the Americas are in Mexico, South America and Caribbean. Canada would probably be the best country to live in overall for the record. You can see why many English people move there nowadays and Australia as the standard of living is better than anywhere.

The Americas is by far the most attractive side of the planet though easy.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Spain will be open from July to foreign tourists they are saying today 😱.

Georgia too. I always wanted to visit so I will definitely consider it now!

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Georgia too. I always wanted to visit so I will definitely consider it now!

It may be the best time to go too as everyone will be scared to go away so soon. 3 seats all to yourself on a plane, that'd do me :ph34r:.

Probably September time would be more ideal. Keep an eye on how things work first.

What I don't understand is the 2 week quarantine after it? To arrive home from the airport, it involves a train home, so what difference would it make? xD 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

It may be the best time to go too as everyone will be scared to go away so soon. 3 seats all to yourself on a plane, that'd do me :ph34r:.

Probably September time would be more ideal. Keep an eye on how things work first.

What I don't understand is the 2 week quarantine after it? To arrive home from the airport, it involves a train home, so what difference would it make? xD 

Here you aren't allowed to take public transport after returning from abroad - it has to be either your own or rented car, family member/friend picking you up, or a taxi... 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Here you aren't allowed to take public transport after returning from abroad - it has to be either your own or rented car, family member/friend picking you up, or a taxi... 

They haven't mentioned that here. But by September it could all be lifted anyway, especially here.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

They haven't mentioned that here. But by September it could all be lifted anyway, especially here.

Yeah they have. They've said take your own transport back to your home. Only use public transport as a last resort. 

When you arrive in the UK, go straight to the place where you will self-isolate. Your friends or family can collect you from the airport, port or station. Only use public transport if you have no other option. If you do use public transport, wear something that covers your nose and mouth and stay 2 metres apart from other people.

From the gov website. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Stan said:

Yeah they have. They've said take your own transport back to your home. Only use public transport as a last resort. 

From the gov website. 

By October or so, they will have likely lifted it anyway I'd have thought. But we'll have to see as anything can suddenly change at the moment. We can't really predict what will happen next.

I'd go tomorrow though if I could. If I die, I die.

There's no point planning now, but I really want to do Africa when this whole pandemic ends. Rwanda is a country I'm keen on, but other options include South Africa/Lesotho/Swaziland, Tunisia, Ghana, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

There's no point planning now, but I really want to do Africa when this whole pandemic ends. Rwanda is a country I'm keen on, but other options include South Africa/Lesotho/Swaziland, Tunisia, Ghana, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.

Can happily recommend some places in South Africa whenever you go :)

23 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I've been to Tunisia

Just now, Carnivore Chris said:

I've been to Tunisia

Have you been to the interior? I want to go as far as Tataouine and see the Sahara if I go. Well aware it's bliztering hot, and I am not as good in the heat as I am in the cold xD

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Have you been to the interior? I want to go as far as Tataouine and see the Sahara if I go. Well aware it's bliztering hot, and I am not as good in the heat as I am in the cold xD

Me too, heard the sunsets are great!

Dv-lXQNX4AEL8ex.jpg

:dunce:

• Haha 2