talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

5 minutes ago, SirBalon 69 said:

The hotels are nice if you want to spend 200-300 euros a night, just like London.

Yeah, it's simply just an expensive city, but then that's also why it's so safe, clean, etc(not sure what London's excuse is for not being either of the 2 :ph34r:) with a strong economy(or was before covid atleast), but I honestly never spend enough time in a hotel room to warrant such money anyway. Anything does in Amsterdam as it's simply a case of somewhere to stash your belongings and sleep at night. I'd sleep in a tent in Vondelpark xD.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Yeah, it's simply just an expensive city, but then that's also why it's so safe, clean, etc(not sure what London's excuse is for not being either of the 2 :ph34r:) with a strong economy(or was before covid atleast), but I honestly never spend enough time in a hotel room to warrant such money anyway. Anything does in Amsterdam as it's simply a case of somewhere to stash your belongings and sleep at night. I'd sleep in a tent in Vondelpark xD.

Yeah true, have you seen de Pijp area? Its near to where you are staying.    

Thanks to Brexit Netherlands will become richer with all the companies moving here.

Just now, SirBalon 69 said:

Can get the bus to Volendam from the back of the centraal station.  It is about 20 minutes away, very nice small place to see if you want to chill, can get very busy though.

I suppose most of the country will be quite chilled. Nice unique architecture as well and very walker and cycle friendly which isn't always the case with cities in some countries.

Also your public transport is miles ahead than it is in this country.

To be honest, there are parts of Amsterdam that I haven't even seen, so I will go on one of my explorations.

I just shit myself then as I read something that Brits and Swedes still have to quarantine in the Netherlands for 14 days upon arrival, but it was from weeks ago and was changed 5 days ago. Thank god for that xD

Lithuania: British nationals resident in the UK may travel to Lithuania without needing to self-isolate.

You don't know what you're letting yourselves in for(and that's when there is no virus) @nudge :ph34r:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SirBalon 69 said:

Yeah true, have you seen de Pijp area? Its near to where you are staying.    

Thanks to Brexit Netherlands will become richer with all the companies moving here.

Yeah I like it down that area mate.

Thinking of it, I've seen the majority of the city. I haven't been to those windmills that @Lucas posted pictures of, so that is an idea.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

1 minute ago, SirBalon 69 said:

Kinderdijk?    That is more near Rotterdam

Ahh, that's why I've never seen them then xD. I was thinking they were on the outskirts of the city or something.

What is it like at the moment anyway? It is busy or is it quieter due to the whole covid? I usually love going in Feb-April type of time. Just the right amount of people.

3 hours ago, nudge said:

Haarlem is very beautiful and well worth a visit. Might be a bit "boring" depending on what you like, but it's a charming and peaceful little town... the North Sea beach, Zandvoort racing circuit, Keukenhof Gardens (only open in spring though), Zaanse Schans windmills are all just a short trip away too

Utrecht is also very nice, so is Leiden. Both essentially similar to Amsterdam, but less crowded and touristy. But I love the Netherlands in general. Regardless where you go, both bigger cities and small towns and even villages are so damn beautiful and have so much to offer.

@Carnivore Chris

That's where I went, where @nudge said, Zaanse Schans.

Short train journey from centraal, about 20 to 25mins i think.

And you will know you are in the right place because as you start walking there you can smell Chocolate from the nearby chocolate factory, its a bit surreal. Lovely little cobbled streets around, it's very scenic.

It's also quite nice to escape the main hub of the city for somewhere a little more peaceful. It would definitely kill a couple hours anyway.

Edit - Just stuck a couple pics in to give you an idea.

20190323_163218.thumb.jpg.263defd91a8e16947f1a7eae9c00be2b.jpg

20190323_160706.thumb.jpg.788eab08b1bceff5a4f226129cfb25cb.jpg

20190323_180921.thumb.jpg.216fca68f5be4bcf99b6be19ec4cf115.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I honestly wouldn't mind catching a Zander out of I've of the canals thinking of it. I've never caught one before xD

I bet you'd reel in a fair few bikes though!

13 minutes ago, Lucas said:

@Carnivore Chris

That's where I went, where @nudge said, Zaanse Schans.

Short train journey from centraal, about 20 to 25mins i think.

And you will know you are in the right place because as you start walking there you can smell Chocolate from the nearby chocolate factory, its a bit surreal. Lovely little cobbled streets around, it's very scenic.

It's also quite nice to escape the main hub of the city for somewhere a little more peaceful. It would definitely kill a couple hours anyway.

Edit - Just stuck a couple pics in to give you an idea.

20190323_163218.thumb.jpg.263defd91a8e16947f1a7eae9c00be2b.jpg

20190323_160706.thumb.jpg.788eab08b1bceff5a4f226129cfb25cb.jpg

20190323_180921.thumb.jpg.216fca68f5be4bcf99b6be19ec4cf115.jpg

Yeah, that's where I was referring to but forgot where you said it was exactly. I will definitely have to go there mate, it looks nice and chilled.

33 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I honestly wouldn't mind catching a Zander out of I've of the canals thinking of it. I've never caught one before xD

I bet you'd reel in a fair few bikes though!

Yeah, that's where I was referring to but forgot where you said it was exactly. I will definitely have to go there mate, it looks nice and chilled.

when you said windmills I just thought of the Kinderdijk,  its lovely there also but away from Amsterdam.

If you want something nearby Amsterdam, I would recommend as I said above, Volendam, its an old fishing village but it can get very busy as its very beautiful with the houses and the water.  You should try the smoked eel, Herring and kippling there.   Also you get to see the Volendam FC stadium which is near the bus stop.

Edited by SirBalon 69
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Ahh, that's why I've never seen them then xD. I was thinking they were on the outskirts of the city or something.

What is it like at the moment anyway? It is busy or is it quieter due to the whole covid? I usually love going in Feb-April type of time. Just the right amount of people.

Amsterdam in general is getting very busy again and no one cares about the Covid social distancing.  I know when it is busy and getting back to normal, as people start to moan about the tourists again throwing their nitrous oxide canisters all over floor xD

Edited by SirBalon 69

16 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

There's actually spots I've never been in Amsterdam to be honest, so I will go on a mad explore. I've never been to the Windmills that Lucas went to for example.

What about Haarlem and Utrecht? @Panflute @SirBalon 69 They aren't far and look quite nice with much less tourism than Amsterdam, although the locals may all run away scared when an Englishman appears given current events :ph34r:. I might check one of those instead as they are a very short train journey anyway.

They're nice for a day. Haarlem has some nice spots but it might get boring if you spend a whole weekend there. Utrecht is basically a smaller and slightly quieter version of Amsterdam.

Rotterdam can be interesting if you're way into modern art and architecture but I personally hate it. The Hague is decent.

Personally I prefer the eastern part of the country, particularly the Gelderland and Drenthe provinces, but it's more rural there so not exactly city trip material.

• Upvote 1

This thread is depressing me! I doubt I could travel where I want to go to until 2021/2022. Considering we haven’t even had a proper wave of COVID yet in my state. But, we can’t lock ourselves away from the rest of the world and country, forever. 

I took the opportunity to head s little bit north of Perth (2-3 hours drive) to the Pinnacles which are quite unique...

0674CF40-8E3F-40BB-9C0B-FA4631FBBB58.jpeg

E4A94D91-1964-44A0-8094-DA6AE9E8E9A7.jpeg

• Upvote 2

On 17/07/2020 at 01:35, Toinho said:

This thread is depressing me! I doubt I could travel where I want to go to until 2021/2022. Considering we haven’t even had a proper wave of COVID yet in my state. But, we can’t lock ourselves away from the rest of the world and country, forever. 

I took the opportunity to head s little bit north of Perth (2-3 hours drive) to the Pinnacles which are quite unique...

0674CF40-8E3F-40BB-9C0B-FA4631FBBB58.jpeg

E4A94D91-1964-44A0-8094-DA6AE9E8E9A7.jpeg

I'd be surprised if I could go to where I'm planning even in 2021 as it's not just about covid but airlines, as many could go bust, making it more difficult to reach such destinations. 

As it stands I will take risks going to other European countries. Getting stuck there wouldn't be as much of a nightmare as being stuck in Bogotá or somewhere else on the other side of the world

You actually have alot of options due to the size of Australia and also the likes of New Zealand, if they are allowing you in.

One downer is that I twisted my ankle AGAIN today and was struggling to work all day after that. It's always me who gets injured xD

On 15/07/2020 at 23:08, SirBalon 69 said:

Amsterdam in general is getting very busy again and no one cares about the Covid social distancing.  I know when it is busy and getting back to normal, as people start to moan about the tourists again throwing their nitrous oxide canisters all over floor xD

To be honest, this even pisses me off as there are no s everywhere and they should use them.

It's especially worse when it's tourists as you should always have respect for locals before anything else.

I might even buy a day licence and go lure fishing on the canals for a few hours for Zander and Perch. I know where there is a huge fishing shop, or Hengelsport as you say over there. I just never got around to actually going there due to it being a bit out of the way.

I'll see if they rent tackle out, as I don't want to take any with me and I might have a go. Urban fishing!

On 16/07/2020 at 11:08, Panflute said:

They're nice for a day. Haarlem has some nice spots but it might get boring if you spend a whole weekend there. Utrecht is basically a smaller and slightly quieter version of Amsterdam.

Rotterdam can be interesting if you're way into modern art and architecture but I personally hate it. The Hague is decent.

Personally I prefer the eastern part of the country, particularly the Gelderland and Drenthe provinces, but it's more rural there so not exactly city trip material.

I'll be stopping in Amsterdam so it would only be a day out to Haarlem or somewhere either way. But both look like nice chilled out spots which would be something different.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

@nudge I just noticed that Thailand is on the list of countries. Does this mean you're fine as it stands? You will have to put those photography skills of yours to use ;)

What do you mean? Thailand borders are closed, they are not letting any tourists in at the moment :(

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I was sure I saw it on a list last night along with Jamaica and Barbados xD.

Nah, Thailand only allow entry for selected categories of foreigners, such as the ones who have families or residency rights there, international students, those seeking medical treatment, etc. Tourist visas/entry stamps aren't being issued and who knows when it goes back to normal...

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Nah, Thailand only allow entry for selected categories of foreigners, such as the ones who have families or residency rights there, international students, those seeking medical treatment, etc. Tourist visas/entry stamps aren't being issued and who knows when it goes back to normal...

It'll probably be a while then I'd have thought considering how contagious the virus is. They won't want to take chances unfortunately.

Have you paid for it all as well?

• Subscriber
Just now, Carnivore Chris said:

It'll probably be a while then I'd have thought considering how contagious the virus is. They won't want to take chances unfortunately.

Have you paid for it all as well?

Yeah, but that's not a problem, the tix are flexible and I can reschedule until the end of 2021 free of charge...

• Subscriber
Just now, Carnivore Chris said:

In the end, we might just have to go to Jamaica since Colombia, Mexico and Thailand don't look to be "opening" anytime soon :hh:

I'm not looking for a holiday, Chris xD I just want to go back home.

22 hours ago, nudge said:

Nah, not interested :P 

To be honest, once i finally "come out of my shell" and do a few countries in the Americas, then I may even end up having Thailand on my list. It's not that it doesn't interest me, just that other countries interest me more so I don't really think about going.

Freshwater Fishing in Thailand would be amazing though(the best in the world) and obviously it's pretty much paradise there. Some of those beaches are incredible.

The only thing is the food, I've never been huge on Thai food(or even Chinese in terms of Asia), but there is always something to eat wherever you go so I would live.

I was actually speaking to a scaffolder today who has done Mexico and Jamaica and he said he wants to go to Thailand next, then he randomly said "And, in terms of those lady boys, no, you wouldn't have to ask me twice. Have you seen them? I've been watching videos of them on youtube" xD Only on building sites do you come across such people. Thing is, he goes away with his wife as well.