talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

48 minutes ago, MUFC said:

anyone booking anything or trying to get away before a new variant arrives? 

Got a holiday booked for August which we 100% know we won't be going to but my money is tied up until they either cancel the flights or the government change the system to allow travel to other countries. 

Once they do that they will exchange the destination free of charge. 

I'm due my second jab on July 10th so hopefully the new rules will kick in and double jabbed travellers won't need to isolate for 10 days in an Amber country. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

New rules kick in on July 19th, Turkey expected to be moved back to the Amber list on July 19th.......

It looks like my holiday is back on!!

Don't know whether to change it to a green list country closer the time though. Can't be doing with the worry of it turning red whilst I'm away. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Mrs and I may be looking for a short trip away next summer. 

Flights to Dublin extremely cheap so looks like this is top of the list. 

Any tips on best areas to stay? Things to do? Places to eat/drink? 

• Subscriber

Hit Scotland buddy, that won't go a miss, drop off in Edinbuegh and have a tour of Edinburgh Castle and have a look at the Edinburgh Ghost & Vampire underground tours, our daughter went there with her eldest son Connor and she said it was scary but they both enjoyed the experience.

https://www.getyourguide.com/edinburgh-vaults-l8843/the-original-underground-tour-edinburgh-t47520/

Or, something I have always wanted to see which the wife has years ago, I have only been to mini ones around here but the big ones with the Tossing of the Caber would be brilliant.

download.png.ac0ac62dc1aefe03ebed022345278c18.png

https://www.highlandexplorertours.com/1-day-tours/highland-games

1113512367_download(1).png.d9785fab3d928702b7eb4d2c3efb1b78.png

1965668323_download(2).png.c6218dc64fa5a0a3ad3e6d915c460ab1.png

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Thanks, but have been to Edinburgh before not too long ago.

Any info on Dublin...?

Dublin pretty much takes care of itself.

Just do the tour and it'll take you around all the points that you'll most likely want to visit anyway.

1. Trinity college which you've probably seen on the internet a million times.
  2. Phoenix park where Dublin Zoo is which is a very good Zoo too.
  3. Guinness storehouse.
  4. Jameson destillery.
  5. Dublin Castle

Then you've got the Temple Bar area where all the classic irish bars are at.

• Upvote 1

Due to fly out on the 21st, Turkey still on red list and still not had my holiday cancelled.

Hopefully Thursday they stay on the red list and I get a full refund. Once I know I've got the refund coming I'm booking either Croatia, Greece or Spain for the same dates.

Determined to have my summer holiday.

Probably just gunna drive down to Bournemouth/Sandbanks/Studland when the expected heatwave comes in for the day, won't be going on holiday anytime soon. Waiting on next year for things to hopefully open up a bit more on the continent so it's not just holidaying somewhere that is in a form of lockdown

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Danny said:

Probably just gunna drive down to Bournemouth/Sandbanks/Studland when the expected heatwave comes in for the day, won't be going on holiday anytime soon. Waiting on next year for things to hopefully open up a bit more on the continent so it's not just holidaying somewhere that is in a form of lockdown

Sounds like somewhere @Batard lives. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Danny said:

To be fair I've had a few friends who've gone away and they say it's really relaxed and everyone is enjoying their holidays as they would usually just it's a little less busy. I myself went to Turkey last August and it was brilliant once you got there, you follow the rules of the airports and it's fine. 

Our government are the one's making an absolute pigs ear of it, there are entry requirements for each country,  you follow their entry requirements and then you test before you come home. 

All this swapping and changing traffic lights is confusing people and also the British press are scaring people to death. Last week one of the papers ran a story saying Greece was at risk of being placed into the red list yet not one other tabloid or media outlet ran the story. 

4 minutes ago, Devil said:

To be fair I've had a few friends who've gone away and they say it's really relaxed and everyone is enjoying their holidays as they would usually just it's a little less busy. I myself went to Turkey last August and it was brilliant once you got there, you follow the rules of the airports and it's fine. 

Our government are the one's making an absolute pigs ear of it, there are entry requirements for each country,  you follow their entry requirements and then you test before you come home. 

All this swapping and changing traffic lights is confusing people and also the British press are scaring people to death. Last week one of the papers ran a story saying Greece was at risk of being placed into the red list yet not one other tabloid or media outlet ran the story. 

More the risk of a holiday being ruined if that country suddenly goes into a lockdown

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Is it mandatory to have a test before you fly back to the UK from an amber country if you are vaccinated or is it only "guidance"? Seeing different wording in different places.

It is still necessary - both the pre-departure test (PCR or lateral flow) and the PCR test on day 1 or 2 after arrival. There are exceptions for the kids only.

Off to Greece, holiday cancelled today and refunded in 14 days.

Got a brilliant deal on Zante.

If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't I get my money back.

Looking forward to going to shipwreck beach, always wanted to visit it.

Screenshot_20210805-224052_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Devil

On 04/08/2021 at 10:55, Danny said:

Me and my girl had two nights down that way.

We just got a cheap Premier Inn in Poole ans then took the chain ferry from Sandbanks over to Studland, Swanage, Corfe and ended up at Lulworth/Durdle Door.

Some pics...

IMG_20210721_194747_869.jpg

IMG_20210721_194747_911.jpg

IMG_20210721_194747_995.jpg

IMG_20210721_194747_918.jpg

IMG_20210721_194747_924.jpg

• Upvote 4

• Subscriber

Going to an air b&b next week; about a two hour drive out of town just to get away for a few days. Nice little place, the weather should be great and im going to be proposing :)

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/48575051?locale=en&_set_bev_on_new_domain=1628809140_MzFhZWEwYzQ5ZGQ5&source_impression_id=p3_1628809092_xGsDKEplWzViLaT5&modal=PHOTO_TOUR_SCROLLABLE

Edited by Viva la FCB
  • Upvote 3

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Going to an air b&b next week; about a two hour drive out of town just to get away for a few days. Nice little place, the weather should be great and im going to be proposing :)

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/48575051?locale=en&_set_bev_on_new_domain=1628809140_MzFhZWEwYzQ5ZGQ5&source_impression_id=p3_1628809092_xGsDKEplWzViLaT5&modal=PHOTO_TOUR_SCROLLABLE

That looks lovely!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Bringing out the big guns.

Good luck, looks a perfect setting to do it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

Me and my girl had two nights down that way.

We just got a cheap Premier Inn in Poole ans then took the chain ferry from Sandbanks over to Studland, Swanage, Corfe and ended up at Lulworth/Durdle Door.

Some pics...

IMG_20210721_194747_869.jpg

IMG_20210721_194747_911.jpg

IMG_20210721_194747_995.jpg

IMG_20210721_194747_918.jpg

IMG_20210721_194747_924.jpg

Wish I could see cheap online xD

Looks lovely though mate

8 minutes ago, Danny said:

Wish I could see cheap online xD

Looks lovely though mate

If it helps, we got the Premier Inn Poole North. It was literally a short drive to the Sandbanks ferry (about half hour queue mind taking the car) so ideal and also about 10mins drive to Poole Quay, lovely spot to eat in the evening.

We went Monday to Wednesday so prices would have been cheap as it wasn't a weekend, when I say cheap though, we probably paid £150 quid for two nights. That is cheap for Poole xD

Also, something fun to do we did on the way home from there if you happen to go back that way.

New Forest Water Park

fullsizeoutput_acd-scaled-1024x1024.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back from Zakynthos this afternoon, anyone worried about going away I can only say this. If you are doubled jabbed there is no PCR test needed for entry, just proof of the jabs.

It's easy to get your test on resort for €20 for the return.

They are desperate for custom, I got friendly with a restaurant owner over there and he told me they've suffered so badly and only had 48 days open last year and massive restrictions this year.

Greece are amber and if you monitor the traffic light system and book at the start of each 3 week cycle it's well worth the effort to travel.

Edited by Devil
  • Upvote 2