talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

The Holiday Thread

football forum

1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

What happened? not into F1 racing really so I hardly go and read any posts in there.

He missed predictions despite having a week to submit them. Then wasn't given any points.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stan said:

He missed predictions despite having a week to submit them. Then wasn't given any points.

Oh come on, he always predicted right before qualifying, and the forum went down on Friday night. Not his fault, is it.

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Oh come on, he always predicted right before qualifying, and the forum went down on Friday night. Not his fault, is it.

Huh? I'm just stating what happened? I never said it was his fault?

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Yeah, you just left out the most important factor in the story xD 

To be fair, it's definitely not his fault the site went down. No-one to blame for that. But it is slightly his fault he would always leave it that late. Rando would/did suggest to even put placeholders in, just in case.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

To be fair, it's definitely not his fault the site went down. No-one to blame for that. But it is slightly his fault he would always leave it that late. Rando would/did suggest to even put placeholders in, just in case.

Personally, I don't get this kind of reasoning. It's strategic to make predictions as late as possible due to potential penalties etc. The rules allow for it as well, so it's not as if anyone is supposed to put placeholders early in the week. Nobody expected the forum to go down, especially for so long, there were no warnings, so it's surely a force majeure event, no? Granted, I don't know why he took it so seriously, either.

Just now, CaaC (John) said:

What?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47lw1zywjhw2yapxzckh

Forum going down before he was able to make his predictions before the qualifying session.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Personally, I don't get this kind of reasoning. It's strategic to make predictions as late as possible due to potential penalties etc. The rules allow for it as well, so it's not as if anyone is supposed to put placeholders early in the week. Nobody expected the forum to go down, especially for so long, there were no warnings, so it's surely a force majeure event, no? Granted, I don't know why he took it so seriously, either.

7 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I agree - it is strategy, for sure. No one is 'supposed' to, of course.

But if it is legit the reason that he's not logged on for ages since it happened because he's pissed off, I think he just needs to let it go now!

To add to that, the dedicated F1 predictions/fantasy sites always made the results void if there were technical issues preventing people from predicting in time (even if others predicted early and weren't affected). So I guess he's pissed because he feels it was unfair.

30 minutes ago, nudge said:

Granted, I don't know why he took it so seriously, either.

To be fair, we don't know if that is the reason why he stopped posting, he might be a bit of a screwball sometimes but I hope he is ok and hope it's nothing to do with a family crisis or whatnot?

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spacing correction

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It's been a little while since we went now but here are some pictures from our holiday to Croatia.

IMG_20221002_202029_702.jpg

IMG_20221002_202029_755.jpg

IMG_20221002_202029_799.jpg

20220915_132222.jpg

IMG_20221002_202029_952.jpg

IMG_20221002_202030_026.jpg

20220915_130806.jpg

20220915_122457.jpg

20220909_141834.jpg

20220906_194029.jpg

20220910_150923.jpg

20220915_101838.jpg

20220913_140147.jpg

...And for a little brucie bonus, we took this shot of Mostar Bridge on a day trip to Bosnia which was an experience.

IMG_20221002_202029_786.jpg

Thoroughly recommend it if you haven't been and all of that was without even getting down to the heavily tourist infected Dubrovnik.

Nice! I've seen and walked over the original bridge as a kid. Unfortunately it was destroyed in the balkan war, and this is a rebuilt one. I've been there in 2019 again. 

Also that town is that with the mountain in the backgrounds? Makarska?

God, I love Croatia, and especially the Makarska Riviera. I always found these mountain ranges fascinating to look at. 

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

Nice! I've seen and walked over the original bridge as a kid. Unfortunately it was destroyed in the balkan war, and this is a rebuilt one. I've been there in 2019 again. 

Also that town is that with the mountain in the backgrounds? Makarska?

God, I love Croatia, and especially the Makarska Riviera. I always found these mountain ranges fascinating to look at. 

Yes, that's right, Makarska. Lovely little place that and our base for the holiday. Would thoroughly recommend as it was ideal for our boat trips to Hvar and Brac and visit to Krka National Park.

I actually found it surreal that one side was engulfed with mountains behind you and open sea in front, never quite been in a place like that.

Mostar was something else, bit of a throwback actually. I didn't realise that Bosnia was so 50/50 religion wise but where we were, it felt very islam, I guess off the back of the Ballkan war. Didn't feel European at all.

Croatia looks amazing, but then all of Southern Europe is. 

Only 3 weeks now until Tenerife. I've also decided I'm going to pop over to la Gomera for the day since it's only an hour on the ferry. Did you visit la Gomera @nudge? That and Fuerteventura are actually the 2 Canary Islands that fascinate me the most.

Edited by Carnivore Chris
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Croatia looks amazing, but then all of Southern Europe is. 

Only 3 weeks now until Tenerife. I've also decided I'm going to pop over to la Gomera for the day since it's only an hour on the ferry. Did you visit la Gomera @nudge? That and Fuerteventura are actually the 2 Canary Islands that fascinate me the most.

Sadly not. Inter-island travel was strictly restricted when I was there due to COVID... 

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Yes, that's right, Makarska. Lovely little place that and our base for the holiday. Would thoroughly recommend as it was ideal for our boat trips to Hvar and Brac and visit to Krka National Park.

I actually found it surreal that one side was engulfed with mountains behind you and open sea in front, never quite been in a place like that.

Mostar was something else, bit of a throwback actually. I didn't realise that Bosnia was so 50/50 religion wise but where we were, it felt very islam, I guess off the back of the Ballkan war. Didn't feel European at all.

Nice. I was in Makarska the first time when I was 2 years old. And then visited 7 more times. Always stayed in a nearby town called Tucepi. But I always prefered the Makarska vibe. Not too small, not too big, nice promenade etc. Have you eaten a burger at Hambi? Secret advice. :ph34r:

And yea, Mostar is unique. But also a bit sad. Very touristy in the center, but a lot of poverty in the outskirts, full with beggars. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Spike said:

I was looking at a weekend in San Diego in a few weeks but it was too expensive @Dr. Gonzo

Aw that’s shit. Best time to come is February or in the weeks right before the summer rush though, imo.

But hotels everywhere have been absolutely fucking mental, I can’t imagine what it’s like for San Diego now… but judging by the prices of pretty much everything in San Diego now I imagine “not cheap” is an understatement.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Aw that’s shit. Best time to come is February or in the weeks right before the summer rush though, imo.

But hotels everywhere have been absolutely fucking mental, I can’t imagine what it’s like for San Diego now… but judging by the prices of pretty much everything in San Diego now I imagine “not cheap” is an understatement.

Toronto of all places is the cheapest we’ve looked at

• Wow 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

You want party? A mixture between party and quiet? Or just quiet?

Mixture. For me and a girl.

I've looked at Spain, Italy, Greece etc around late May/June time. But not having much luck so far.

Edited by JoshBRFC

15 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Mixture. For me and a girl.

I've looked at Spain, Italy, Greece etc around late May/June time. But not having much luck so far.

For a mixture I'd go somewhere east. Cala Rajada, Cala Millor, S'Illot maybe. Cala Rajada is full of Germans though, but a nice mixture of party and beautiful landscapes with nice beaches. 

• Like 1

I've begun planning my trip for next year and I need some advice.  I have 14 days allotted in October 2023 to fly to Germany, see the sights, and fly home.  To make the best use of my time the plan was to fly into one of the international airports (München, Berlin, Frankfurt) and fly home via a different city so I would not have to backtrack.  I have two tentative itineraries...

1) Fly into Frankfurt, fly home via München.  This would allow me to explore Baden-Wurtemberg and Bayern.  I had planned on seeing Frankfurt, Mainz, Stuttgart, Nürnberg, and München at a minimum with a few smaller stops along the way.  Possibly Freiburg or Salzburg.

2) Fly into Berlin, fly home via München.  This would allow me to explore Brandenburg, Sachsen, and Bayern.  I would plan on seeing Berlin and Potsdam, Dresden, Nürnberg, and München at a minimum, again with some smaller stops mixed in.  Possibly Stuttgart.

Or is there a secret option 3) Coma, you're high.  You need to "insert travel plans here".

Obviously, I am neglecting Köln and Düsseldorf, but by adding those I'd be subtracting a large portion of something else.  Perhaps included in a northern route through Bremen and Hamburg in the future. 

Also, I have some acquaintences that have been and they've recommended renting a car and driving.  I'm not opposed to that...but am I better off getting around by train?  Should I be looking at hotels or AirBnB's?

• Upvote 1