• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Have England Improved Since 2014?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Hugely.

Much better striking options in Kane and Vardy. We had 2 invalids in Welbeck/Sturridge as well as Lambert as options in the last tournament xDxD (I know Welbeck is in this summer's squad too but I don't agree with his inclusion anyway).

Pickford is better than Hart.
Walker/Trippier are better than Glen Johnson.
Kane is better than any other striker we had in 2014.

There was Gerrard and Lampard in the old squad but they were ageing a bit and not at their peak.

The inclusion of Sterling is a huge plus this time around.

It's not just personnel though - some players in this current squad were also there in 2014 but they've grown in experience through more playing time. The only downside in the squad now is lack of experience in big tournaments as has been well documented. 

I think there's a tremendous amount of depth in this squad, as well. You have players like Walker, Delph, Young, Dier, Sterling, Lingard who can all perform various roles in the side. Even Maguire and Jones could play in midfield if really necessary as a last resort. 

Yes. I think the biggest compliment I can give Southgate is i'm warming to him and when he was appointed i thought he was the biggest useless cunt in the world. I still don't agree with the appointment, in terms of he didn't have a credible CV to get the job, but i'm warming to him and he's doing a decent job. My biggest gripe is this Walker at centre back thing, but it might even work and Trippier is playing very well.

We were still trying to shoehorn Lampard and Gerrard into the squad 4 years ago and now they're both managers, which is strange.

True. I'm getting caught up in the world cup excitement #believe

Honestly I don't watch England as often as I used to now, but when a WC comes round I try not to get excited but can't help myself. I'm already making plans for quarter final weekend xD

• Subscriber

2016 was no better than 2014, we just had an easier group, we were embarrassing in both.

I don't expect us to pull up too many trees but it'll be a lot more respectable I'd imagine.

Think its good that all players there will have been picked on performance rather than media expectation. Think its been a while since that last was the case. 

I hope that pays off in the results. 

The fact there aren't really any expectations is also good. 

Potential dark horse for a semi imo...

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Think its good that all players there will have been picked on performance rather than media expectation. Think its been a while since that last was the case. 

I hope that pays off in the results. 

The fact there aren't really any expectations is also good. 

Potential dark horse for a semi imo...

I think it's the first time that this has happened, largely because of Southgate's approach and largely because we don't have that old guard there getting picked ahead of youngsters.

Jack Wilshere is an example of people expecting a player to get picked on name rather than merit and I think it was a bold but fair move but Southgate to leave him out.

Players like Maguire, Loftus-Cheek, Tarkowski, Pope, Pickford etc probably wouldn't have been given the call ups they've had or the tournament call up most had.

Archived