talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

AFC World Cup Qualifiers

Couldn't be bothered to post all the tables but the thread isn't here yet.

Watching the Australia game right now. I've fallen in love with Ange's team since the 2014 World Cup where for me they would have gone through if they were in any other group. Tim Cahill's dropped his level since the Asian Cup and while Australia haven't had great results of late, they still have a nice team. I rate Mooy and Rogic.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

China beating South Korea :o

Uzbeks celebrating that for sure. Although I can't see South Korea not qualifying. For me, the top team in Asia.

Aaron Mooy is really good.

Have had a few of my Aussie friends tell me a bit about Irvine. Not disappointed with him so far.

• Subscriber

I hoped Thailand would manage a miracle this time as I'd love to see them qualify, but while they are clearly better than any of their SE Asian neighbours, they still aren't up to par to compete at a higher level. It's a pity, as they always are so much fun to watch in AFF Championships.

Australia have taken control of the game now. Kruse doing well on that wing although his final cross hasn't been great. Aaron Mooy looking class as I said. Although the defence still looking poor. Been great in terms of strength but in terms of positioning, they've been all over the place.

Still 0-0

5 minutes ago, ATL said:

1-0 Aussies now over Iraq.

I'm watching this on AFC Hub on Youtube, which has no commentator, scoreboard or anything. I was typing my above post and missed the goal xD

A deserved lead so far. Australia as I said have looked poor at the back but have done well in the center of the park.

1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I'm watching this on AFC Hub on Youtube, which has no commentator, scoreboard or anything. I was typing my above post and missed the goal xD

A deserved lead so far. Australia as I said have looked poor at the back but have done in the center of the park.

AFC Hub isn't available in my country :censored:

Back to Australia... I must say though I'm impressed with what I've seen from China. Good at creating plays and defending quite well.

Decided to flick between games. China and South Korea caught my attention.

Tomi Juric just missed a sitter for Australia. Bugger.

China win against South Korea! Massive win for them. Looked good too, surprised. Lacked a real technical ability but had speed on the counter and played well like a team. 

China definitely won't qualify but if Uzbekiztan take advantage and beat Syria, I think they'll go to their first World Cup.

Australia draw 1-1. Wouldn't be a bad result normally but they've fallen a bit off the pace and have gotten 4 straight draws now. They've not comforted to not relying on Timmy Cahill yet. They have good players, so they'll click eventually but its not come around just yet.

That UAE vs Japan game will be massive later today.

Saudi Arabia win 3-0 in Thailand and Syria get a last minute win over Uzbekistan. So much for China beating South Korea. The Uzbeks couldn't take advantage.

2 minutes ago, ATL said:

So many surprises today. Korea losing to China, Syria beating Uzbekistan, Iraq drawing with the Aussies.

The first 2 are definitely surprises. Iraq drawing Australia isn't. At least not anymore. Australia have had 4 draws in a row so I expected a narrow Aussie win or a draw.

UAE beating Japan wouldn't shock me either. UAE have been a thorn for Japan in recent times. Japan are also nothing they were at the beginning of the decade.

Just now, LaSambadeStGermain said:

The first 2 are definitely surprises. Iraq drawing Australia isn't. At least not anymore. Australia have had 4 draws in a row so I expected a narrow Aussie win or a draw.

Iraq drawing is a surprise to me. While Australia aren't what they used to be, Iraq is pretty awful and outside of beating Thailand, that lost every match.

Just now, ATL said:

Iraq drawing is a surprise to me. While Australia aren't what they used to be, Iraq is pretty awful and outside of beating Thailand, that lost every match.

I don't think Iraq are good either but Australia have been pretty awful as of late. They're still trying to comfort to not rely on Cahill and have drawn Thailand away which was what killed this being a surprise for me. 

Again, I do believe the Aussies will click because they have good players (for this level) that are doing well in their leagues. Rogic doing well, Mooy one of the best players in the championship, Irvine I've been told he's been doing well. Not sure how Juric is getting along in Europe but he was good in the Asian Champions League back in 2014. Cahill is doing well in the A-League as Melbourne City aside from him and Fornaroli are crap but I agree with Ange not playing him as a starter because they need to try and get the hang of playing without him. A bit different to what the USA did with Donovan. I know Donovan had issues with Klinsmann but they should have at least benched him in case things weren't going well and then brought him on.

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, Anton said:

Back in business tomorrow. Home game vs the bastard Saudis. Must win. 

Hopefully you win mate. Would hate to see you and South Korea both miss out on the WC.

4 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Hopefully you win mate. Would hate to see you and South Korea both miss out on the WC.

Iran and South Korea are pretty much in the safe zone in their group. Australia on the other hand needs to step up.

Archived