talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

AFC World Cup Qualifiers

Would want to mention Iran here as they are techanicaly the best team in  Asia right now especially defensively. They haven't lost to Asian opponent in over 30 games now and i think they aren't going to concede a single goal for the rest of the qualifying campaign. Hope they make it to the last 16 of the WC this time.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Anton said:

Yep hard to disagree with the above. Worried about the confederation cup.

Do you think its has to do with not having Tim Cahill? Or better said not in his prime?

I seem to remember in the World Cup, you were good without the results but I did notice Cahill ran most of the show. I still think you'll click eventually because there is talent (especially against the opposition you usually face) but it may take time.

14 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Do you think its has to do with not having Tim Cahill? Or better said not in his prime?

I seem to remember in the World Cup, you were good without the results but I did notice Cahill ran most of the show. I still think you'll click eventually because there is talent (especially against the opposition you usually face) but it may take time.

Most of our "talent" hardly play regularly for their clubs and that's a big problem. We aren't in a golden generation that's for sure. I love Cahill but he cannot carry us anymore as he had a fairly average season in the A-league and didn't even play tonight. 

Aaron Moy, Mat Ryan and Tom Rogic are all entirely decent players who could play first team football for a bottom half premier league team. The same can't be said for any other players in the squad, bar maybe Wright. Most of the team are not much better than A-league level. Australia needs to send their best and brightest overseas as soon as viable rather than letting them rot in the A-league til they're 25 and no one's interested.

1 minute ago, Tanksie said:

Aaron Moy, Mat Ryan and Tom Rogic are all entirely decent players who could play first team football for a bottom half premier league team. The same can't be said for any other players in the squad, bar maybe Wright. Most of the team are not much better than A-league level. Australia needs to send their best and brightest overseas as soon as viable rather than letting them rot in the A-league til they're 25 and no one's interested.

I have an Aussie mate who told me Irvine had a good season for Burton, although I can't comment much on it myself.

When I watched the A-League for some research, I was impressed with Taggart (Perth are my A-League team).

Just now, Tanksie said:

Having a decent season for Burton Albion. Truly a god among mortals.

xD To be fair, it is in the championship which is more than good enough to compete in Asia. How is he getting along for the national team?

Irvine would be next on my list after Mooy, Rogic and Ryan. He has potential. Leckie can be decent but needs to find consistency. Kruse has peaked and is finished. Luongo has his moments.  Defence is a real concern. Sainsbury was great at the Asian cup a couple of years back but since then injuries and very little football... 

2 minutes ago, Anton said:

Irvine would be next on my list after Mooy, Rogic and Ryan. He has potential. Leckie can be decent but needs to find consistency. Kruse has peaked and is finished. Luongo has his moments.  Defence is a real concern. Sainsbury was great at the Asian cup a couple of years back but since then injuries and very little football... 

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but why is Ange suddenly resorting to 3 at the back? It didn't work very well against Iraq.

Good news for Australia, Japan dropped points today opening up a chance for them to get in automatically but they'll likely have to get something in Tokyo (or wherever they play home games)

Iran booked their place at the WC with two games in hand though their group was easier. I have a soft spot for Iran as far as football is concern and i have stated earlier they are far more superior then any Asain side(and Australia) tacticaly and their defensive play is worldclass. Iran should make it to the last 16 of the upcoming WC given they get an easy group

Archived