talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa América 2019 - Brazil

football forum

Well, the World Cup and the Euro's have been "killed". I put that in quotes because it still serves a purpose. The Copa America has genuinely been killed. Expanded to 16 teams. 10 South Americans, 6 invited teams. Its not really a Copa America anymore now is it?

How will they hold the teams? In a country like Brazil and Argentina its fine but what if its hosted in Ecuador or Uruguay? Are there enough places of good quality to hold all the teams? Can you imagine if England was invited how they'd cope with playing in La Paz or bearing the living conditions in Venezuela? What about the 6 teams, inviting 6 can be a task. Are we back in 1930?

If they wanted to expand, at least have it within the America's only. I'm still against the idea but at least it makes sense because its the COPA AMERICA. This is essentially just a mini World Cup. 

Anyone associated with this expansion should never be allowed to do anything with football ever again. Fuck off.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until people stop giving a shit and, more importantly, stop paying to watch it then football will continue to drift away from what it was. They'd have every nation in the world in it if they could get away with it (the World Cup may as well have) as all they're interested in is ensuring you and your cash part company - like all of the 'elite' cunts 

Just now, Cannabis said:

Hang on, so the invited teams can be from anywhere - i.e. - You could have Brazil against Spain? 

What is this bullshit?!

They're trying to invite Italy and nations from Asia.

31 minutes ago, Salford Kel said:

If Israel and Turkey can play in Europe and Australia can play in Asia then why not? Maybe England can play in the African Cup of Nations and have an outside chance of getting to the semis

Eh, but at least that makes sense though. Turkey and Australia are more talented than their original confederations and are in close proximity with their new considerations. For instance Kel, Australia was thumping teams in Oceania 32-0; playing against literal amateurs. It was killing the sport in Australia, nobody cared, and why should they have? When Australian is going to the middle of the pacific and playing in front of thirty people there is no point for it to even be televised. Now Australia gets to play against stronger teams more often and it's only helped to develop the sport.

Just now, Spike said:

Eh, but at least that makes sense though. Turkey and Australia are more talented than their original confederations and are in close proximity with their new considerations. For instance Kel, Australia was thumping teams in Oceania 32-0; playing against literal amateurs. It was killing the sport in Australia, nobody cared, and why should they have? When Australian is going to the middle of the pacific and playing in front of thirty people there is no point for it to even be televised. Now Australia gets to play against stronger teams more often and it's only helped to develop the sport.

I agree, same with Turkey who have improved immensely since Bryan Robson and John Barnes were scoring hattricks against them for fun. Just think it's a bit strange to play teams in another continental qualifying group.

Turkish and Israeli clubs also benefit from Champions League money by participating in a competition on a foreign continent which isn't fair really. If Israel can play in Europe why not Iran or Saudi Arabia?

6 minutes ago, Salford Kel said:

I agree, same with Turkey who have improved immensely since Bryan Robson and John Barnes were scoring hattricks against them for fun. Just think it's a bit strange to play teams in another continental qualifying group.

Turkish and Israeli clubs also benefit from Champions League money by participating in a competition on a foreign continent which isn't fair really. If Israel can play in Europe why not Iran or Saudi Arabia?

Probably because if Israel played in the Asian Champions League they'd bombed to hell and back again. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Probably because if Israel played in the Asian Champions League they'd bombed to hell and back again. :ph34r:

I wouldn't have thought so. They'd most likely be the ones doing the bombing then snidily blaming other countries...

3 minutes ago, Salford Kel said:

I wouldn't have thought so. They'd most likely be the ones doing the bombing then snidily blaming other countries...

Maybe they'd pull a Dortmund and bomb their own bus and claim it was those pesky ISIS bastards.

1 hour ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Well, the World Cup and the Euro's have been "killed". I put that in quotes because it still serves a purpose. The Copa America has genuinely been killed. Expanded to 16 teams. 10 South Americans, 6 invited teams. Its not really a Copa America anymore now is it?

How will they hold the teams? In a country like Brazil and Argentina its fine but what if its hosted in Ecuador or Uruguay? Are there enough places of good quality to hold all the teams? Can you imagine if England was invited how they'd cope with playing in La Paz or bearing the living conditions in Venezuela? What about the 6 teams, inviting 6 can be a task. Are we back in 1930?

If they wanted to expand, at least have it within the America's only. I'm still against the idea but at least it makes sense because its the COPA AMERICA. This is essentially just a mini World Cup. 

Anyone associated with this expansion should never be allowed to do anything with football ever again. Fuck off.

I saw this earlier in the year but thought it would be North American teams invited, rather than from just anywhere. 

Maybe a controversial opinion, but I've thought for a while that Concacaf and Conmebol should just combine anyway. Have a Copa America like the Copa América Centenario, combine the World Cup qualifying spots and have the best teams from the entire region and a combined Libertadores (which already has Mexican teams in it).

Just now, ScoRoss said:

I saw this earlier in the year but thought it would be North American teams invited, rather than from just anywhere. 

Maybe a controversial opinion, but I've thought for a while that Concacaf and Conmebol should just combine anyway. Have a Copa America like the Copa América Centenario, combine the World Cup qualifying spots and have the best teams from the entire region and a combined Libertadores (which already has Mexican teams in it).

Mexican teams are no longer in the Libertadores.

Just now, ScoRoss said:

I thought that was just for this year?

It depends on if the Mexican federation wants to get back in it. They were always just in it for the money really.

11 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

It depends on if the Mexican federation wants to get back in it. They were always just in it for the money really.

The Copa Libertadores needs a shake-up away, and not another expansion that they have just do. About half of the Brazilian Serie A gets in!

Plus, I'm sure Mexican teams would welcome a higher competition rather than just dominating the CONCACAF Champions League.

5 hours ago, Cannabis said:

That's a disgrace, even worse than the World Cup in Qatar and that's saying something. 

Football will be fucked in 20 years, it's becoming a total shambles.

Fifa2017 is becoming real life!  

Spain vs Juventus world cup final at Mecca2026

5 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Hang on, so the invited teams can be from anywhere - i.e. - You could have Brazil against Spain? 

What is this bullshit?!

Agreed. This is pretty close to the worst violation of common sense for the sake of profit that I've seen in football so far. 

Its beyond ridiculous. 

• Subscriber

Genuinely do see myself completely losing interest in international football eventually. It's some regression that Russia 2018 has gone from being the biggest disgrace ever to now being "the last proper World Cup". Where did it go so wrong?

• The title was changed to Copa America To Remain as 12-Team Tournament

Archived