talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Sign Getafe's Guaita

• Administrator

@SirBalon what do you know? I've probably only seen him a handful of times last season.

@The Palace Fan - much-needed replacement for Hennessey?

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-cry-guaita/crystal-palace-sign-getafe-keeper-guaita-on-three-year-deal-idUKKCN1J41J6?rpc=401&

Guaita will join the London club on a three-year-deal and will officially become a Palace player on July 1 after his contract at the La Liga side expires.

“We are delighted to sign one of La Liga’s best goalkeepers and pleased that we beat off the competition for his signature,” Crystal Palace Chairman Steve Parish said.

The 31-year-old began his career at Valencia, making over 100 appearances before moving to Getafe in 2014. He was instrumental in the club finishing in eighth-place in their first season back in La Liga, keeping 12 clean sheets.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Stan said:

@SirBalon what do you know? I've probably only seen him a handful of times last season.

@The Palace Fan - much-needed replacement for Hennessey?

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-cry-guaita/crystal-palace-sign-getafe-keeper-guaita-on-three-year-deal-idUKKCN1J41J6?rpc=401&

This was allegedly agreed in January. We offered his club compo to get him start playing early but they were having none of it.

I've only watched him once, and low and behold it was a man of the match performance against Barcelona where he kept a clean sheet. He looked very much like Julian Speroni with eccentric saves and good shot stopping, which is possibly why Dougie Greedman identified him. On a free we can't really go wrong either.

Interestingly enough I don't think Hennessey has signed a new contract yet, if he wants first team football I imagine he will have to take a pay cut elsewhere. So that situation could be interesting.

He was one of the big up and coming young keepers about 7 or 8 years ago. He suffered a series of injuries and Diego Alves was signed and he sort of lost his way in terms of what it previously looked like he would become. 

I think @Fusion was a fan of his.

43 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

He was one of the big up and coming young keepers about 7 or 8 years ago. He suffered a series of injuries and Diego Alves was signed and he sort of lost his way in terms of what it previously looked like he would become. 

I think @Fusion was a fan of his.

Yeah @Fusion loves him.

He used to be class and was one of the best young Spanish keepers around years back when he was at Valencia(but as you said, Diego Alves was always going to be first choice in the end), he also did well for Getafe in his first few seasons, although I haven't really paid attention to him in the last few seasons.

Archived