talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Most Influential Player on One Team

Most Influentual Player  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the sole individual to have the biggest impact on their country?

• Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Mohamed Salah
    • Christian Eriksen
    • Harry Kane
    • Robert Lewandowski
    • Sadio Mane
    • Heung-Min Son

Every time this tournament comes around there are always some teams that will have one player who is clearly a different class to everybody else. This seemed to be the case even more so at the last World Cup, with Ronaldo looking bemused at his team mates inability to string three passes together, and hundreds of Brazillians preying for a miracle outside the hospital Neymar was in.

Who will be the one needing to visit a chiropractor for back problems after carrying a whole team this tournament?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I've gone for Salah as in that Egypt team, no-one comes even close to him there in that side. Presumably if he plays from the start. For Egypt's sake, hope he's fully fit. 

53 minutes ago, Stan said:

I've gone for Salah as in that Egypt team, no-one comes even close to him there in that side. Presumably if he plays from the start. For Egypt's sake, hope he's fully fit. 

Fair call on Salah. I don't see them going very far but they could advance beyond the group's given their draw.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

So you're saying there are players in Portugal that can come close to Ronaldo ?

• Administrator
Just now, Devon Von Devon said:

So you're saying there are players in Portugal that can come close to Ronaldo ?

no. but say you took out Ronaldo and Salah from their respective teams. 

Egypt don't have anyone else that stands out.

Portugal at least still have fair amounts of quality amongst their team. 

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

no. but say you took out Ronaldo and Salah from their respective teams. 

Egypt don't have anyone else that stands out.

Portugal at least still have fair amounts of quality amongst their team. 

Its says most Influential players on each team. Before Salah had this wonderful season no doubt he was one of the important players but whole Egypt didn't revolve around him.

That's why i've gone with Messi, without Messi Argentina always struggle which is evident from their qualifiers from this wc and the previous one.

• Subscriber

Thought about Salah for a bit then went with Messi. As mentioned above they wouldn't be anywhere near Russia if it wasn't for him and the way he's literally carried them over the line. Ronaldo could have been on there but Portugal don't necessarily revolve around even if he'd like them to.

I agree with @Devon Von Devon. Egypt were likely going to qualify with or without Salah, that doesn't take away the impact of them having a quality player on their team but they have other talent that is lower key such as Trezeguet and Sohbi. Also the players in the Egyptian league aren't bad, I am not an expert on that subject but I know as much as this: it is by 100 miles away the best league in Africa. So I'm expecting those to surprise me.

In qualifying, I would have said Paolo Guerrero was one of the most influential, next to Messi. Now, I think we've learned to play without him and while we are no doubt weaker without him, we aren't a bad team if he's out. 

I think that Colombia have slightly relied on James Rodriguez too, but not enough to have him be on the list. 

In qualifying Salah scored 5 of Egypt's 8 goals. I know Argentina have been underperforming but if Messi is injured they replace him with Aguero, Dybala, Higuain etc. Who do Egypt replace Salah with? Mido?

30 minutes ago, Marc said:

In qualifying Salah scored 5 of Egypt's 8 goals. I know Argentina have been underperforming but if Messi is injured they replace him with Aguero, Dybala, Higuain etc. Who do Egypt replace Salah with? Mido?

Except you can't really replace Messi's influence. Argentina's only goal scorer in 2017, was Messi. That just goes to show how pitiful they are without him given they couldn't beat, let alone score, against any team during qualifiers when Messi was absent. 

Egypt can't replace Salah, but they have other players who can make an impact. Just like we can't replace Guerrero, but still haven't lost without him.

48 minutes ago, Marc said:

They replace him with Dybala and Aguero? They are two notorious under-performers for Argentina, that is like saying England can rely on a midfield duo of Lampard and Gerrard because they are elite players. Then Higuian blows hot and cold for Argentina.    

58 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Except you can't really replace Messi's influence. Argentina's only goal scorer in 2017, was Messi. That just goes to show how pitiful they are without him given they couldn't beat, let alone score, against any team during qualifiers when Messi was absent. 

37 minutes ago, Spike said:

They replace him with Dybala and Aguero? They are two notorious under-performers for Argentina, that is like saying England can rely on a midfield duo of Lampard and Gerrard because they are elite players. Then Higuian blows hot and cold for Argentina.    

I agree that they aren't going to be on par with Messi but Dybala/aguero or whoever is still a better replacement than whoever Egypt replace Salah with.

Aguero has something like a 1 in 2 ratio for argentina

According to the wiki squad list, Egypt have two other forwards in the squad apart from Salah, one plays for Al Ahly and the other for Al-Ittihad........

Yeah, I'm surprised Messi is getting so many votes. Argentina is LOADED with talent. When your country has the leader striker in Italy and he can't get called up because of all the talent on the team, then that should mean something. 

Most influential player should come from a weak team that wouldn't be able to do what they have without one player. You take Messi away, and Argentina's odd to win don't diminish too much. If Salah has been hurt a year ago, then Egypt 'probably doesn't make the World Cup. Remember, This is only Egypt's 3rd trip, and 1st since 1990.

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah, I'm surprised Messi is getting so many votes. Argentina is LOADED with talent. When your country has the leader striker in Italy and he can't get called up because of all the talent on the team, then that should mean something. 

Most influential player should come from a weak team that wouldn't be able to do what they have without one player. You take Messi away, and Argentina's odd to win don't diminish too much. If Salah has been hurt a year ago, then Egypt 'probably doesn't make the World Cup. Remember, This is only Egypt's 3rd trip, and 1st since 1990.

Yes they do, I'm afraid.

7 minutes ago, Eco said:

A.) You know full well that isn't the reason Icardi wasn't called up

B.)  Take away Messi and Argentina's odds don't diminish too much? Not trying to be rude, but are you actually taking the piss?

29 minutes ago, Marc said:

I agree that they aren't going to be on par with Messi but Dybala/aguero or whoever is still a better replacement than whoever Egypt replace Salah with.

Aguero has something like a 1 in 2 ratio for argentina

According to the wiki squad list, Egypt have two other forwards in the squad apart from Salah, one plays for Al Ahly and the other for Al-Ittihad........

Aguero's ratio is irrelevant (did you know he has never scored at the WC?), otherwise you'd agree that Rooney is the greatest English footballer of all time that always delivered when it mattered, no? Stats are meaningless, Aguero is a posterchild of an Argentina generation that has failed to deliver on expectations. Romero, Mascherano, and Messi can't do everything, yet they usually have to.

Argentina are not coached well, the do not have a good culture surrounding national football, and their FA is beyond corrupt. Without Messi they wouldn't have even qualified for this tournament, or has everyone forgotten that Argentina were one game away from elimination in the qualifiers already?

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

A.) You know full well that isn't the reason Icardi wasn't called up

B.)  Take away Messi and Argentina's odds don't diminish too much? Not trying to be rude, but are you actually taking the piss?

A.) Regardless, if Argentina wasn't loaded with talent, he'd be called up. 

B.) So I did further research, and Argentina's record is horrendous without Messi, which doesn't make sense to me personally seeing as how they have Dybala, Higuain, Aguero, Di Maria, you have plenty of talent in that roster. 

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

Aguero's ratio is irrelevant (did you know he has never scored at the WC?), otherwise you'd agree that Rooney is the greatest English footballer of all time that always delivered when it mattered, no? Stats are meaningless, Aguero is a posterchild of an Argentina generation that has failed to deliver on expectations. Romero, Mascherano, and Messi can't do everything, yet they usually have to.

Argentina are not coached well, the do not have a good culture surrounding national football, and their FA is beyond corrupt. Without Messi they wouldn't have even qualified for this tournament, or has everyone forgotten that Argentina were one game away from elimination in the qualifiers already?

This has to be the case. They have way too much talent for Messi to be on this list. 

Argentina may be 'stacked' but look at their players throughout the last decade and a half.
Messi - prefers to play through the middle.
Tevez - prefers to play through the middle.
Aguero - prefers to play through the middle.
Icardi - prefers to play through the middle.
Milito - prefers to play through the middle.
Crespo - prefers to play through the middle.
Dybala - prefers to play through the middle.
Higuain - prefers to play through the middle.
Crespo - prefers to play through the middle.

Look at this talent that roughly occupy the same position in the pitch. That is enough to make anyone jealous but having nine players like that doesn't win anything does it? Argentina could have won in 2010 when they had elite talent outside of the central area (Messi was a RW at the time as well!) but the fat bastard did nothing to help that.

Archived