• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
Batard

Work a.k.a the vent about your job thread

Recommended Posts

I literally have far too much to say in the first post in this thread that I'd just be fielding questions about my job title alone.

I work in IT, middle management level as a Scrum Master. You're either thinking "What the fuck?" or "What bullshit role is that" either way, google is your friend ... I'll save you the effort however https://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/agile/scrum/roles/scrummaster

Who actually has a job they love? I like my job. I don't love it. Well. I love the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Batard said:

I literally have far too much to say in the first post in this thread that I'd just be fielding questions about my job title alone.

I work in IT, middle management level as a Scrum Master. You're either thinking "What the fuck?" or "What bullshit role is that" either way, google is your friend ... I'll save you the effort however https://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/agile/scrum/roles/scrummaster

Who actually has a job they love? I like my job. I don't love it. Well. I love the money.

*waves*

I love it. I'm a Housing Officer for a large local housing association and recently become home-workers (bonus!). Finally found something I'm good at, have a passion for and feel like it challenges me in various ways. And recently been fairly successful at it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're a man of the people Stan and I sense the altruist in you. How long you been working there fella?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar to Stan, I quite like my job. Got development routes now which I didn't have before (mainly due to shitty directors bit I won't bore you the details) and have a good office floor where we can have a bit of a laugh. Of course, being part of the NHS does mean we have to deal with the 'blame culture' often.

As for Scrum's, I've heard of them in an IT sense but being generally new to the role and learning about things like that and 'Agile' (I think), I don't know much about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Batard said:

You're a man of the people Stan and I sense the altruist in you. How long you been working there fella?

I used to experience people mistaking my kindness for weakness but even being in this job has built up a resilience to those that try and take advantage of it. I've become more confident as a result of being in this job too. I predominantly deal with the stereotypical housing benefit families (ugh!) and council/social housing estate demographics - you have to be tough to deal with them as they do not like being told what to do i.e. pay their rent and if they're in arrears they don't like being told that either haha.

I've been working in this role since November 2014. So glad I moved out of finance for this!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Similar to Stan, I quite like my job. Got development routes now which I didn't have before (mainly due to shitty directors bit I won't bore you the details) and have a good office floor where we can have a bit of a laugh. Of course, being part of the NHS does mean we have to deal with the 'blame culture' often.

As for Scrum's, I've heard of them in an IT sense but being generally new to the role and learning about things like that and 'Agile' (I think), I don't know much about them.

I'm an Agile leader in a manner of speaking so I could bore the shit out of you regarding working with agility 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoying my latest job for the past year and four months since i been doing it. The job is dynamic and interesting however the deadlines are a big issue, nothing that bad though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A teacher at an International School. Got promoted to Lead Elementary (primary) Teacher last year. However, I will be accepting a position in an Australian school from April.

I have loved my job in Japan, teaching in Australia is tougher, that is for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2017 at 8:13 AM, Batard said:

I literally have far too much to say in the first post in this thread that I'd just be fielding questions about my job title alone.

I work in IT, middle management level as a Scrum Master. You're either thinking "What the fuck?" or "What bullshit role is that" either way, google is your friend ... I'll save you the effort however https://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/agile/scrum/roles/scrummaster

Who actually has a job they love? I like my job. I don't love it. Well. I love the money.

I have a lot of experience with Scrum Masters considering what I do is more development work and I work as an Informaiion/Enterprise Architect with some dabbling in the UXA side of the business. 

I'd say about 90% of the time I really love what I do. Code and solution intricacies are what keep me at my present workplace but the part I don't really care more much these days is the people management side of things which tbh isn't as black-and-white as the solutioining. Unfortunately when you get to do the kind of work I do then managing expectations doesn't just come with having deadlines but also holding people's hands which can be a bit challenging at times. Thankfully I have only ever once in my 11 yrs doing this job asked for someone to be taken off a team and I hope the trend continues.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a maths teacher in a secondary school. I love teaching as an actual thing to do, but teaching as a job has become beyond a joke. I've only worked in one school for a couple of years but from talking to other people I trained with and reading the Times Education website, it's absolutely shocking the workload teachers have to put up with.

You teach 22 hours a week which sounds like quite a light amount of actual "work" compared to a 9-5 job with extra hours, but if you think how long it takes you to prepare a 5 minute presentation at work, imagine preparing 22 full hour presentations a week, delivering them to kids who can't be arsed remembering to bring a pen or pencil into school even though they surprisingly managed to remember their mobile phones, and then taking home 20-30 pieces of work home to mark from each lesson (100+ pieces a day).

It's a joke and the staff cuts going on in the majority of schools due to a lack of funding means that people are constantly being asked to take more on with less time to do it. That's not to mention the amount of scrutiny and the constant arse covering from people in senior positions (which they have to do to be fair) having to raise with you why less than 70% of your special needs girls in Year 9 have made less than two sub-levels of progress since September.

I'm moving back from England to the Isle of Man soon though, hopefully with a new school to go into from September, so hoping it'll be a bit different from teaching in the UK without Ofsted breathing down everyone's necks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work at fucking Starbucks so I have no real complaints. The wifey on the other hand could fill this entire forum till the servers exploded with nonsense from her occupation. Fuck me, imagine having the most casual, friendliest and efficient workplaces in the world only to have it do an 180' and become a literal joke of bureaucracy and level after level of management. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Spike said:

I work at fucking Starbucks so I have no real complaints. The wifey on the other hand could fill this entire forum till the servers exploded with nonsense from her occupation. Fuck me, imagine having the most casual, friendliest and efficient workplaces in the world only to have it do an 180' and become a literal joke of bureaucracy and level after level of management. 

 

You don't work at the one across from GAC do you?

Can't really complain much about my job. While I don't enjoy it and it's not what I love to do, I've been here so long I get flexible hours and paid well. Plus it's less than 10 miles from the house so I have no reason to complain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ubuntu said:

You don't work at the one across from GAC do you?

Can't really complain much about my job. While I don't enjoy it and it's not what I love to do, I've been here so long I get flexible hours and paid well. Plus it's less than 10 miles from the house so I have no reason to complain.

No, it's on Scenic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spike said:

No, it's on Scenic.

End of Ronald Reagan? If so, I used to basically live there when I was in High School...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ubuntu said:

End of Ronald Reagan? If so, I used to basically live there when I was in High School...

Not that one, the other one on Scenic. Closer to the Shoppes at Web Ginn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah - I used to go to that Barnes and Noble all the time. 

Small world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Spike said:

I work at fucking Starbucks so I have no real complaints. The wifey on the other hand could fill this entire forum till the servers exploded with nonsense from her occupation. Fuck me, imagine having the most casual, friendliest and efficient workplaces in the world only to have it do an 180' and become a literal joke of bureaucracy and level after level of management. 

what does she do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

what does she do?

Works for a company that develops the hardware and software for slot machines. She IS the QA department, both the manager and the only employee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spike said:

She IS the QA department, both the manager and the only employee.

I know that feeling from my previous role. Negligence from previous directorates (hiding behind a 'restructure' reason but happy to sort themselves out quickly) and management being key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bid Writer at a tendering consultancy. I've been there for 2 and a half years - I love my job really, I'm just underpaid. 

Large-scale construction - that's where the money is. But then, my current office is 10 minutes walk from my house. Can I be arsed looking elsewhere if I'm pretty happy?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

been dragged in to a colleague's dispute with her boss who treats her like a child compared to other members in their team. I get on with both of them so this is difficult especially when she's telling me he's a fucking cunt, prick and other names :/. Have tried to keep it balanced in my advice without trying to sound like I'm not listening to her and not bad-mouthing him as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

been dragged in to a colleague's dispute with her boss who treats her like a child compared to other members in their team. I get on with both of them so this is difficult especially when she's telling me he's a fucking cunt, prick and other names :/. Have tried to keep it balanced in my advice without trying to sound like I'm not listening to her and not bad-mouthing him as well.

You're in a no win situation, she needs to remove the emotion  from the situation to understand what her needs are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an email from my work saying they've moved my desk and my things due to some Bs reason, at 5pm on a Saturday. 9 more days and I'm out! Love teaching there (when I'm in the classroom) but the rest of the place...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Batard said:

You're in a no win situation, she needs to remove the emotion  from the situation to understand what her needs are. 

Yeah I've told her that she needs to keep on doing the job she's doing cos everyone can see it's good what she does. Plus i've told her to actually seek some professional advice or at least raise her concerns with HR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

Yeah I've told her that she needs to keep on doing the job she's doing cos everyone can see it's good what she does. Plus i've told her to actually seek some professional advice or at least raise her concerns with HR. 

You've done the right thing, you don't want to get dragged into it and be placed in an awkward position where you can no longer Ben impartial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently jobless but my last role was marked as a "Customer Service Adviser" when in actuality the role was far more complex, however the pay didn't show that. My daily role involved route planning for Service Engineers, acting as a form of complaints team for both customers and Service Engineers, carrying out logistical analysis, analysing scheduled adherence reports, training new staff, training colleagues from other sites. I think my job title should have been "underpaid and overused" but I did enjoy keeping myself busy. The only reason I stuck it out was because I was going travelling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/03/2017 at 9:13 PM, StanLCFC said:

been dragged in to a colleague's dispute with her boss who treats her like a child compared to other members in their team. I get on with both of them so this is difficult especially when she's telling me he's a fucking cunt, prick and other names :/. Have tried to keep it balanced in my advice without trying to sound like I'm not listening to her and not bad-mouthing him as well.

How old is she? I found younger colleagues tended to start effing and blinding needlessly without thought for the consequence even if there was no punishment (I.e. your managers perception of you dropping)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Danny said:

How old is she? I found younger colleagues tended to start effing and blinding needlessly without thought for the consequence even if there was no punishment (I.e. your managers perception of you dropping)

um, 30 I think. So not much older than me. To be honest, I'm on her side. The manager has treated others a bit badly and unfairly and I've witnessed it.

I've told her to start making notes and logging stuff as proof in case it does go any further. Then she has evidence as opposed to just words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

um, 30 I think. So not much older than me. To be honest, I'm on her side. The manager has treated others a bit badly and unfairly and I've witnessed it.

I've told her to start making notes and logging stuff as proof in case it does go any further. Then she has evidence as opposed to just words.

Ah fair enough, yeah it's not unlike some managers to not act fairly and professionally. I've had it when I worked in a warehouse and I've seen it in my last job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's official - I did not get the job.

I've been at the same job (Industrial Engineer for the SE Region), for about 6 years now. I've known for some time that it's not exactly what I want to do forever, but as the time goes by, and the pay increases, it's been harder to look elsewhere. Thought I found a sweet gig, applied, got a couple of interviews, and got great reviews from the people there I spoke to. Found out today that I didn't get it.

So, like I usually do, I set myself a 90 minute timer to feel like shit, but once that 90 minutes are up, I have to pick myself up and continue on the search. I've got 84 minutes to go...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement