talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Work/Jobs Thread

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Does anyone use SAP?

We use SAP as part of the integration structure for Logistics and a lot of other stuff that my client does. It's actually a really nice tool and the raves that it get are for good reason. The only problem is when you have to move it between platforms or the team needs to run updates then it turns into a nightmare for the first few hours before things start running smooth again. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

We use Maximo at my work which from what I gather is a similar but simpler and different product. It's web based and do I find it to be annoyingly slow to refresh and save and other things. People seem to really rave about SAP

Nice to see that a decade after leaving IBM that Maximo is still slow haha. I was around when they started working the Tivoli division to get it integrated as part of workflows for the division I worked with and that was the sole complaint that everyone had. It was slow and terribly cumbersome compared to more modern products at the time.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I use SAP daily in my line of work, and have been using ti for the past 9 years. However apart from the GUI installed type we use also the web SAP version that opens through a link in a browser.

I sometimes think that SAP is like some IBM products. They are everywhere when it comes to retail, commercial trading, etc we just don't know about it.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

The boss is back after 3 days off and all I've heard for the past 90 minutes is her moaning at everyone and sighing. If she spent less time moaning and sighing, maybe we would all get the work done we need to do!

13 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

The boss is back after 3 days off and all I've heard for the past 90 minutes is her moaning at everyone and sighing. If she spent less time moaning and sighing, maybe we would all get the work done we need to do!

I went self employed and started working from home at the start of October and this post is one of the biggest reasons why I had to get out of the office environment. The amount of negativity in the offices I've worked in was unreal. It's really nice not being surrounded by it anymore.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Rab said:

I went self employed and started working from home at the start of October and this post is one of the biggest reasons why I had to get out of the office environment. The amount of negativity in the offices I've worked in was unreal. It's really nice not being surrounded by it anymore.

There's no need for it. If everyone supported each other a little more rather than moaning and sighing about mistakes, it would make for a more healthy work environment, be positive for mental health, and a lot more shit would get done!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pyfish said:

There's no need for it. If everyone supported each other a little more rather than moaning and sighing about mistakes, it would make for a more healthy work environment, be positive for mental health, and a lot more shit would get done!

First day back this term we had a morning session on Mentally Healthy Workplaces. It also provided us with many shocking statistics about our profession. I’d say my workplace is semi healthy, but there’s always room for improvement...

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Toinho said:

First day back this term we had a morning session on Mentally Healthy Workplaces. It also provided us with many shocking statistics about our profession. I’d say my workplace is semi healthy, but there’s always room for improvement...

I'm training to be what is known as a Mental Health First Aider for our workplace and it's totally eye opening isn't it!

• 10 months later...

Nice place to vent, fume, share good/sad news, and vent about your boss to complete strangers. 

So, I had a few interviews a couple of weeks ago, and I ended up making it to the last round before being told I didn't get the job. No biggy really as I enjoy my job now, however I do need a new one. (long story but bascially my boss, who happens to be my father-in-law, bought a beach house, doesn't work anymore, and then just told me that he is done working and wants to sell.)

Anyways, I have started to improve my networking, keeping up with old colleagues that I rather had good relationships with and just basically keep in touch. 

Well, I got a message from a guy I used to world alongside with when I was at Dell Secureworks, and turns out the company he works for is hiring a Cyber Security Engineer for the Sourtheast. It's mostly cloud based security (which isn't my forte, but I'm learning more and more about it and it's where the future is), and so the company actually reached out to me regarding an interview, which is supposed to take place today. 

I've been doing some reviewing of the job description, and just shoring up my cloud security lingo, however, this morning I had to send them an email and just let them know that this interview, which is to take place via Zoom, will have to be taken by me in a cafe, as my dog literately broke my internet. 

I sent the below email off to the HR lady who has been setting up the interview, and already I have gotten a reply from her and the hiring manager saying how much they laughed at my email, and the hiring manager mentioned that with COVID, taking my interview in a cafe is not a problem. Also, before today, I had never heard from the hiring manager regarding this position. 

Happy Friday {Woman's name], 

I was hoping you could relay a message to [Hiring manager's name] regarding today's interview - 

Yesterday, as the Amazon driver walked to my door to deliver my wife's most recent purchase, my dog, a black lab, attempted to alert the whole family of the visitor by running around and barking throughout the house. My initial attempts to subdue her were to no avail, and as the delivery man began to place the packages at my front door, my dog took off running around in circles, clearly in a last ditch effort to alert everyone within a 2 mile radius...

It was during these last few laps that her tail caught hold of an Ethernet cable that was beside the TV, and as she rounded the corner around the couch, her tail (with the Ethernet cord attached), ended up pulling after her my fiber modem and WAP, breaking both of them as they slammed with force upon the floors.

Technicians will be at my house Friday evening to fix the mess from my dog's enthusiasm, and in the meantime, I am forced to take today's interview at my local coffee shop as my house has been transported to the 1970's and is internet free. 

I look forward to speaking and apologize in advance to taking such an important interview in a coffee shop. 

• Haha 1

I haven't seen my boss since April due to Covid, and it's been brilliant working from home. They have hardly bothered me and I've hardly bothered them.

I can do all the little jobs I want to get done whilst 'working', I can get workouts done in the garden and runs on the treadmill on my downtime, and best of all, it's amusing to get paid whilst banging your missus on duty.

But above all else, and those that know will know, there is nothing like taking a trip to your own toilet when you need a bit of 'you' time and knowing what your walking into. No nasty surprises, no unwelcome visitors to disturb you. Bliss.

• Haha 1

Yesterday ended pretty stressful. I mean it’s always stressful, and I’m currently not feeling like I am being supported to try meet some of the intense social and emotional, as well as medical needs of my students. Here’s hoping today goes smoother...

5 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Yesterday ended pretty stressful. I mean it’s always stressful, and I’m currently not feeling like I am being supported to try meet some of the intense social and emotional, as well as medical needs of my students. Here’s hoping today goes smoother...

You are the wind beneath their wings my son

Well, tomorrow is the big day for me. 

I will take part in a multiple hour exam for a certificate that I've been studying for since the beginning of the year. In terms of Cyber Security here in the states, it's the best of the best. Part of me wishes it was this morning so that I can just take it, and be done with it, but I have decided to spend the day reviewing, going for a run, and listening to good music.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

I will take part in a multiple hour exam for a certificate that I've been studying for since the beginning of the year. In terms of Cyber Security here in the states, it's the best of the best. Part of me wishes it was this morning so that I can just take it, and be done with it, but I have decided to spend the day reviewing, going for a run, and listening to good music.

Good luck!

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Eco said:

Good luck you've got this just remember your Python programming.

The help out to eat out sceme is a nightmare for people working in catering. It's a good thing overall I'm sure. But are the government gonna pay for restaurant staff to get help for the stress 

• 2 weeks later...

Officially one week done as a trainee solicitor. 

My brain has felt pretty fried at times but overall my colleagues are pretty supportive and patient. I'm also going to be working from home mostly so I don't always need to get up at 5am for the Glasgow-Edinburgh commute. 

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Decided to leave my job after 8 years back in July, it was a very tough choice. They were making cuts and redundancies across the company, i got offered a bump which is do an old job with a view that i'll be offered something when work picks back up. I refused and took the redundancy, the manager couldn't believe it as i was the only one in the company to leave on my terms, quite a lot got forced out. They wanted to keep me and i remember he said to me "avoid that job market like the plague" .

It just felt like the right time for me. My colleagues and friends thought i was mad after how well i'd built myself up at that company and how highly thought of i was. I was just no longer waking up with that fire in my belly to go to work, it became too easy. And politics higher than me were holding me back. Which translates to i'm not a suck up and a yes man. 

My last day with them was the end of July but they were still paying me for the following 7 weeks untill mid September. I only properly applied for one job and after 3 interviews with them including a presentation i started my new job the 14th of September when the pay from my previous employer ended on the 11th. xD

Completely different environment but it's exciting and i have loads to learn, as opposed to dong my old job with my eyes closed.

The  new job title is  'Production Supervisor' in a Medical cleanroom. It's very tough and the amount of information i have to learn is insane but it's been a good challenge so far.

Edited by JOSHBRFC
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Had a job interview for a promotion in to a managerial role today. It's as a secondment for nearly a year so pretty much no-lose situation - if I get it, I use that time to learn the role whilst doing it, and the plan is to make it permanent if it's right for me and if they're happy. If it doesn't become permanent, I still would have learnt a lot at that level and will use that in future for any other opportunities that come up, and I also have the safety net of going back to what I do now which I still really enjoy. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Had a job interview for a promotion in to a managerial role today. It's as a secondment for nearly a year so pretty much no-lose situation - if I get it, I use that time to learn the role whilst doing it, and the plan is to make it permanent if it's right for me and if they're happy. If it doesn't become permanent, I still would have learnt a lot at that level and will use that in future for any other opportunities that come up, and I also have the safety net of going back to what I do now which I still really enjoy. 

Good luck sir. 

Yeah, I'm moving to a global IT company in late June after my 4th interview. I'm beyond excited about it, however I'm not entirely sure that it's sunk in yet. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Work/Jobs Thread