talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Work/Jobs Thread

football forum

I'm currently jobless but my last role was marked as a "Customer Service Adviser" when in actuality the role was far more complex, however the pay didn't show that. My daily role involved route planning for Service Engineers, acting as a form of complaints team for both customers and Service Engineers, carrying out logistical analysis, analysing scheduled adherence reports, training new staff, training colleagues from other sites. I think my job title should have been "underpaid and overused" but I did enjoy keeping myself busy. The only reason I stuck it out was because I was going travelling.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2017 at 9:13 PM, StanLCFC said:

been dragged in to a colleague's dispute with her boss who treats her like a child compared to other members in their team. I get on with both of them so this is difficult especially when she's telling me he's a fucking cunt, prick and other names :/. Have tried to keep it balanced in my advice without trying to sound like I'm not listening to her and not bad-mouthing him as well.

How old is she? I found younger colleagues tended to start effing and blinding needlessly without thought for the consequence even if there was no punishment (I.e. your managers perception of you dropping)

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Danny said:

How old is she? I found younger colleagues tended to start effing and blinding needlessly without thought for the consequence even if there was no punishment (I.e. your managers perception of you dropping)

um, 30 I think. So not much older than me. To be honest, I'm on her side. The manager has treated others a bit badly and unfairly and I've witnessed it.

I've told her to start making notes and logging stuff as proof in case it does go any further. Then she has evidence as opposed to just words.

3 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

um, 30 I think. So not much older than me. To be honest, I'm on her side. The manager has treated others a bit badly and unfairly and I've witnessed it.

I've told her to start making notes and logging stuff as proof in case it does go any further. Then she has evidence as opposed to just words.

Ah fair enough, yeah it's not unlike some managers to not act fairly and professionally. I've had it when I worked in a warehouse and I've seen it in my last job

Well, it's official - I did not get the job.

I've been at the same job (Industrial Engineer for the SE Region), for about 6 years now. I've known for some time that it's not exactly what I want to do forever, but as the time goes by, and the pay increases, it's been harder to look elsewhere. Thought I found a sweet gig, applied, got a couple of interviews, and got great reviews from the people there I spoke to. Found out today that I didn't get it.

So, like I usually do, I set myself a 90 minute timer to feel like shit, but once that 90 minutes are up, I have to pick myself up and continue on the search. I've got 84 minutes to go...

• Subscriber

Wouldn't say I love my job but whilst I'm there you'd think I do. I'm just really good at it. I recently got the assistant Supervisors job and passed the probationary period for it with flying colours. The job basically means covering for the main Supervisor when he's off and learning the supervisors role as I go along aswell as doing the normal job what I used to do. I do quite a lot but the days go so much faster since getting the promotion. Also obviously it's a lot more money which doesn't hurt. 

Been hard this week as he's off so I've been running the shift, we've been on nights so people naturally want to chill out more on nights... it ain't easy running a shift and being in charge of 20 grown men but that's what I'm paid to do! Can feel myself gaining the valuable experience along the way though. 

43 minutes ago, nudge said:

Aw, sorry to hear that Lucas... But it's not the end of the world, have a beer and move on! 

Yeah - that's likely what I will do. However, the amount of time and energy I put in for this just seems somewhat wasted at the moment. I know the Cisco (the company I interviewed with) took a lot of time picking the right candidate, so no hard feelings, but it's never a great feeling when you are initial 2nd best.

8 minutes ago, ATL said:

Yeah - that's likely what I will do. However, the amount of time and energy I put in for this just seems somewhat wasted at the moment. I know the Cisco (the company I interviewed with) took a lot of time picking the right candidate, so no hard feelings, but it's never a great feeling when you are initial 2nd best.

As an idiot on Twitter would say: 'It's a doggy dog world'. Took me over a year to get an interview in the States because I'm foreign.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

As an idiot on Twitter would say: 'It's a doggy dog world'. Took me over a year to get an interview in the States because I'm foreign.

That sucks. And it's not that it took me forever to get an interview, but the 5 interviews I had, lasting over an hour each, plus personality tests, were just time consuming.

Just now, ATL said:

That sucks. And it's not that it took me forever to get an interview, but the 5 interviews I had, lasting over an hour each, plus personality tests, were just time consuming.

I'm fine with it (I chose to be an immigrant, I can accept the repercussions) as long as no-one claims that I have white-privilege.

Just now, Spike said:

I'm fine with it (I chose to be an immigrant, I can accept the repercussions) as long as no-one claims that I have white-privilege.

I'd think you'd be golden to work in one of the many pubs in Metro Atlanta. Their are a bunch of English ones, and I'm sure their has to be a few Aussie ones. Your accent would be golden there.

Just now, ATL said:

I'd think you'd be golden to work in one of the many pubs in Metro Atlanta. Their are a bunch of English ones, and I'm sure their has to be a few Aussie ones. Your accent would be golden there.

You're probably right but I desperately don't want to commute to Atlanta from Lawrenceville. Hell hath no fury like a Atlantan highway.

Just now, Spike said:

You're probably right but I desperately don't want to commute to Atlanta from Lawrenceville. Hell hath no fury like a Atlantan highway.

Haha - There are a ton of Sports bars in Gwinnett County.

Just now, ATL said:

Haha - There are a ton of Sports bars in Gwinnett County.

No thanks, I deal with annoying morning people at Starbucks, I don't think I could do the same but with alcohol added. Sports bars are the worst, in fact I hate the entire nightlife culture of South. WHAT KIND OF PUB DOESN'T HAVE POOL TABLES AND DARTS?

I make a lot of observations at work, given that it's a customer service job I spend most of my time interacting with people passing through, whether they are one-off customers or regulars. I can comfortably say that white women love frapuccinos and overly sweet shit that would make a normal person's pancreas die from overworking and black people are usually the rudest, most impatient and most entitled customers. Everytime another Starbucks partner from a different store comes in, I usually want to kill them because they order the most retarded drinks with the most alterations. ARRRRGH, WHY DO PEOPLE NEED A VENTI, TWELVE PUMP CHAI, WITH NOT WATER, EXTRA HOT, NO FOAM, COCONUT MILK, TWO PUMPS OF WHITE MOCHA, UPSIDE FUCKING DOWN?

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

No thanks, I deal with annoying morning people at Starbucks, I don't think I could do the same but with alcohol added. Sports bars are the worst, in fact I hate the entire nightlife culture of South. WHAT KIND OF PUB DOESN'T HAVE POOL TABLES AND DARTS?

I make a lot of observations at work, given that it's a customer service job I spend most of my time interacting with people passing through, whether they are one-off customers or regulars. I can comfortably say that white women love frapuccinos and overly sweet shit that would make a normal person's pancreas die from overworking and black people are usually the rudest, most impatient and most entitled customers. Everytime another Starbucks partner from a different store comes in, I usually want to kill them because they order the most retarded drinks with the most alterations. ARRRRGH, WHY DO PEOPLE NEED A VENTI, TWELVE PUMP CHAI, WITH NOT WATER, EXTRA HOT, NO FOAM, COCONUT MILK, TWO PUMPS OF WHITE MOCHA, UPSIDE FUCKING DOWN?

I go to Starbucks everyday, and they know me by heart. I always order the same thing, a Venti Dark Roast, no Room. #BasicBitch

Just now, ATL said:

I go to Starbucks everyday, and they know me by heart. I always order the same thing, a Venti Dark Roast, no Room. #BasicBitch

Starbucks is another American consumerism cult like Apple. It doesn't even have good product, everything is reduced down to the cheapest, sweetest essentials. The massala chai is overly sweet and tastes nothing like authentic chai should, pumpkin spice smells like burnt plastic, mocha tastes like out-of-date Hershey's chocolate (some of the worst chocolate I've ever had in my life), all the Teavana teas are mediocre, the matcha has sugar in it, and the espresso machines usually burn the shots. It is a true tragedy especially coming from a city like Brisbane that has 'European-esque' coffee culture. Mainly because Australia didn't create a coffee culture from scratch, it inherited it from Greek and Italian immigrants that already knew their shit. Over time Australian coffee culture grew and they invented awesome drinks like the 'flate white' and the 'long black'.

SOME of the coffee roasts are okay but usually they taste no better than a shitty instant coffee you could buy in any other part of the world. Some of the dark roasts are absolutely awful, the Italian tastes burnt and the French roast smells like rotting fish. Pike is incredibly acid for a medium roast and Komodo Dragon is like drinking sulfuric acid. The Christmas Bold is pretty good, Casi Cielo is fantastic and that Hawaiian dark roast is fantastic. 

My new job that I started in January is going well. Making more money working less hours than I was doing two jobs basically giving my weekends up every week. Madness.

Scope for progression too, very big company and there's people started in September now in team leader positions already. In my old job there was people who had been with the company doing the same thing for 12 years earning the same money as I was. 

I am quite an easy person to get along with but surprisingly I still haven't met anyone I dislike either. Won't go as far as saying I love my job but it isn't too difficult, still presents the odd mental challenge and everything about it is decent.

My old work colleagues were telling me I was mad for leaving as well. As if.

Edited by Any O'Brien

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Spike said:

Starbucks is another American consumerism cult like Apple. It doesn't even have good product, everything is reduced down to the cheapest, sweetest essentials. The massala chai is overly sweet and tastes nothing like authentic chai should, pumpkin spice smells like burnt plastic, mocha tastes like out-of-date Hershey's chocolate (some of the worst chocolate I've ever had in my life), all the Teavana teas are mediocre, the matcha has sugar in it, and the espresso machines usually burn the shots. It is a true tragedy especially coming from a city like Brisbane that has 'European-esque' coffee culture. Mainly because Australia didn't create a coffee culture from scratch, it inherited it from Greek and Italian immigrants that already knew their shit. Over time Australian coffee culture grew and they invented awesome drinks like the 'flate white' and the 'long black'.

SOME of the coffee roasts are okay but usually they taste no better than a shitty instant coffee you could buy in any other part of the world. Some of the dark roasts are absolutely awful, the Italian tastes burnt and the French roast smells like rotting fish. Pike is incredibly acid for a medium roast and Komodo Dragon is like drinking sulfuric acid. The Christmas Bold is pretty good, Casi Cielo is fantastic and that Hawaiian dark roast is fantastic. 

You're right about their chais, I don't often find myself in a Starbucks because road-side chai-wallahs have ruined it for me and their taste is far better than what you get in a store. If you want a great cup you should visit one of these guys and it will blow your mind.

chai-wallah.jpg

No Starbucks in Western Australia. We have Dome Cafe's which are much fucking better.

The Japanese go crazy for Starbucks, and everything American...

6 more working days left in this beautiful country. I am not ranting...it's incredibly bittersweet.

10 hours ago, Anton said:

No Starbucks in Western Australia. We have Dome Cafe's which are much fucking better.

The Japanese go crazy for Starbucks, and everything American...

6 more working days left in this beautiful country. I am not ranting...it's incredibly bittersweet.

There is two within in the CBD of Brisbane but they are usually dead and full of tourists. Brisbane is coffee addicted like Melbourne. You cannot walk five metres without running into a place that sells coffee.

• 4 months later...
  • Subscriber

Currently updating my CV and doing a cover letter. Ballache..........

Basically re applying for my job. :readthemessage: 

Me and 5 others are having our job title/role/description changed so we have to reapply. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Currently updating my CV and doing a cover letter. Ballache..........

Basically re applying for my job. :readthemessage: 

Me and 5 others are having our job title/role/description changed so we have to reapply. 

had that twice in 2 years at my work as there was a departmental restructure then 18 months later an organisational one. The latter we were all at risk of redundancy and it's not a pleasant time at all. Quite stressful to be quite honest and not a nice thing to go through. 

Good luck :) 

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Work/Jobs Thread