talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Work/Jobs Thread

football forum

• 2 weeks later...

So my boss is sort of pressuring me to join him in an "investment opportunity" he's recently discovered - basically buying a 15% stake in a local restaurant here. And I'm not really comfortable with it at all, for a few reasons. Firstly, I'm not sure how ethical (idk if that's the right word to use, though) it is to have a business venture with my boss... I guess I should probably check my employment agreement to see if it says anything about that. Secondly, it all sounds a lot more "hands on" than any investment I've traditionally made... and I'm not sure how involved I can/want to be. Third, I don't really think a restaurant is that great of an investment - most new restaurants fail... And lastly, I feel awkward saying no because he's my boss.

Honestly, the whole thing seems strange and somewhat inappropriate to me.

Honestly, it's best to avoid any situation when someone comes to you with an investment opportunity.

The best investments in life are yourself and the investments you can research yourself.

• Upvote 2

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So my boss is sort of pressuring me to join him in an "investment opportunity" he's recently discovered - basically buying a 15% stake in a local restaurant here. And I'm not really comfortable with it at all, for a few reasons. Firstly, I'm not sure how ethical (idk if that's the right word to use, though) it is to have a business venture with my boss... I guess I should probably check my employment agreement to see if it says anything about that. Secondly, it all sounds a lot more "hands on" than any investment I've traditionally made... and I'm not sure how involved I can/want to be. Third, I don't really think a restaurant is that great of an investment - most new restaurants fail... And lastly, I feel awkward saying no because he's my boss.

If you're already having these doubts then until you get more info about it or get convinced by whoever, I'd steer clear. 

I'm sure there's no obligation to do it so you shouldn't feel bad if you decline. 

The current employment agreement is probably the least of your worries in terms of making your decision. Probably just some declaration of interest thing to fill out. 

Agree with @Rab. It's something you'd need to be fully sure of doing (and you don't sound like you are!) but while you're contemplating that anyway, always good to take care of yourself and protect yourself. And if that means avoiding investments that don't sound too worthwhile, so be it! 

• Upvote 1

On 13/06/2021 at 17:57, Toinho said:

I may need to reassess my career or at the very least work on a plan for a new school or some other ways I can feel stress free and happy with my employer…

I did that and now working 3 days a week for the rest of the year in a brand new year level for me. 

Only thing is to manage our finances well enough that this part time life works out alright with our mortgage etc. should be if I stop buying dildos.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

You know what’s weird. Being in a position where you’re interviewing someone for a position you think is easy to fill and you don’t understand how much they want it. Makes you appreciate life and the importance of a simple job. I had a woman in her 50’s cry yesterday. Age is nothing to do with it, it just made me sympathise with her even more. After I calmed her nerves down she smashed it… and I recommended HR to take her on. Still adjusting to making those kind of decisions. 

Work/life is great at the moment. 

Edited by JoshBRFC
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Toinho said:

I did that and now working 3 days a week for the rest of the year in a brand new year level for me. 

Only thing is to manage our finances well enough that this part time life works out alright with our mortgage etc. should be if I stop buying dildos.

Nice! I'd love to get to a position where I don't have to work a full week and still afford all the mortgage and bills etc. 

How does the 3-day week work as a teacher? 

7 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

You know what’s weird. Being in a position where you’re interviewing someone for a position you think is easy to fill and you don’t understand how much they want it. Makes you appreciate life and the importance of a simple job. I had a woman in her 50’s cry yesterday. Age is nothing to do with it, it just made me sympathise with her even more. After I calmed her nerves down she smashed it… and I recommended HR to take her on. Still adjusting to making those kind of decisions. 

Work/life is great at the moment. 

I interviewed people for a job for the first time ever last month as part of my new job and you get a totally different perspective. Was actually a bit odd to get used to. I guess you have to be really on the ball and have good attention to detail as to what the interviewee is saying and try and read through the lines or any bullshit if possible. 

I totally get the decisions thing as well. My new boss has basically given me the green light to just make decisions as long as I can justify them sensibly and with the right processes followed. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Old school coercion through use of managerial position. It still surprises me how many managers masquerading as leaders still do this. 

There’s a great way of saying no under pressure and that’s simply to say “You know what, that does sound interesting, but it’s not for me right now but I appreciate you asking” and your follow up for when you get pushed is “Like I said, it’s not for me right now but I’m sure someone else will be better placed to take you up on it”. 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Invest in a restaurant? A new one? Fuck no. You'll most likely lose your money.

Tell your boss he doesn't pay you enough for you to be investing in anything. Worth a try xD

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Nice! I'd love to get to a position where I don't have to work a full week and still afford all the mortgage and bills etc. 

How does the 3-day week work as a teacher? 

I interviewed people for a job for the first time ever last month as part of my new job and you get a totally different perspective. Was actually a bit odd to get used to. I guess you have to be really on the ball and have good attention to detail as to what the interviewee is saying and try and read through the lines or any bullshit if possible. 

I totally get the decisions thing as well. My new boss has basically given me the green light to just make decisions as long as I can justify them sensibly and with the right processes followed. 

Fortunately it’s not just my income we are on. Partner still has maternity leave payments which help. This change is only until December. 

As for the 3 day thing, I’m sharing a class with a lady who has been doing 2 days a week all school year so I’ve just replaced the other teacher she was sharing with. It’s a nice change but still a lot of work. 

I have given people phone interviews before and last year was on a panel for hiring new teachers. I had to read over 100 applications etc. Full on, but I quite enjoyed being on the other side of the table during interviews. You really get to see the process differently and how much it means to people. One lady, with a great pedigree just got so nervous she bombed the interview it’s a real tough thing !!

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I would be giving that a big miss mate... too many risks involved

4 hours ago, Batard said:

Old school coercion through use of managerial position. It still surprises me how many managers masquerading as leaders still do this. 

There’s a great way of saying no under pressure and that’s simply to say “You know what, that does sound interesting, but it’s not for me right now but I appreciate you asking” and your follow up for when you get pushed is “Like I said, it’s not for me right now but I’m sure someone else will be better placed to take you up on it”. 

That's a good way to fend off the pursuit @Dr. Gonzoand does not put his nose out of joint but be sure to not um and ah about it or he might see this as an opportunity to keep coming back and trying to put pressure on you to buckle.. be nice about it but firm.. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Invest in a restaurant? A new one? Fuck no. You'll most likely lose your money.

Tell your boss he doesn't pay you enough for you to be investing in anything. Worth a try xD

Yeah exactly, it’s a terrible investment. And honestly it sounds like my boss (and the other investors who I don’t know). I like the idea of trying to get a raise out of this though xD

6 hours ago, Batard said:

Thank you! I think I’m going to use this to wiggle out of it.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

That's a good way to fend off the pursuit @Dr. Gonzoand does not put his nose out of joint but be sure to not um and ah about it or he might see this as an opportunity to keep coming back and trying to put pressure on you to buckle.. be nice about it but firm.. 

Exactly that. State your position and do not deviate. This is a good book too if you're interested in dealing with situations where you have to negotiate anything

image.png

• Facepalm 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Can use this thread for a topic I wanted to start. We've all been working for a various number of years in life. List upto 3 good and 3 bad things which you've learnt from your  your life of employment.

Good.

1.Meet good new people. Some end up being life long friends.

2.Under good management, within a good team of people. It can be a good laugh while getting paid. Working under good management and a good team can have an positive impact on your life.

3.You may learn new skills which can be essential when applying for new jobs or seeking promotion.

Bad.

1.Majority of an office, consist of snitches and people who arse lick managers.

2.Majority of promoted people people who don't have the required skills. They're generally thick as pig shit but mates with managers or are recommended by other managers who they're mates with. In my previous job, the main manager. He is in his early 50's and gave important promotions to 4 females in their 20's, he was shagging all of them for years prior to promoting them.

3.The last one is odd. There are a number people who are dumb twats. Never hit targets and always require help. Yet they never get pulled up on it or anything else. Because of their dumbness which goes unpunished. They always cause shit and get away with it. Yet you get people who work hard and always get pulled into the office for nothing offences. The people who are dumb and cause shit, in my experience they are usually in their late 40's but majority are over 50. No offence meant by the way. They tend to be mates with many of the older managers and worked in the office and known each other since World War fucking 2.

Rant over.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, MUFC said:

Can use this thread for a topic I wanted to start. We've all been working for a various number of years in life. List upto 3 good and 3 bad things which you've learnt from your  your life of employment.

Good.

2.Under good management, within a good team of people. It can be a good laugh while getting paid. Working under good management and a good team can have an positive impact on your life.

3.You may learn new skills which can be essential when applying for new jobs or seeking promotion.

Bad.

2.Majority of promoted people people who don't have the required skills. They're generally thick as pig shit but mates with managers or are recommended by other managers who they're mates with. In my previous job, the main manager. He is in his early 50's and gave important promotions to 4 females in their 20's, he was shagging all of them for years prior to promoting them.

3.The last one is odd. There are a number people who are dumb twats. Never hit targets and always require help. Yet they never get pulled up on it or anything else. Because of their dumbness which goes unpunished. They always cause shit and get away with it. Yet you get people who work hard and always get pulled into the office for nothing offences. The people who are dumb and cause shit, in my experience they are usually in their late 40's but majority are over 50. No offence meant by the way. They tend to be mates with many of the older managers and worked in the office and known each other since World War fucking 2.

Rant over.

Bad day at work?... 😂

Anyway, to add to your list of observations:

- in terms of advancing in your professional career, networking and interpersonal relationships are by far more important than actual skills and knowledge. Being the best at your job is great and has its advantages as well, but it's not the road to promotion.

- staying neutral in office politics, not taking sides, and being good at keeping "secrets" puts you in a very good position, as everyone tends to confide in you and thus you always have plenty of information you can eventually use for your own advantage.

- senior management in big companies don't know jack shit.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
On 30/07/2021 at 15:06, Dr. Gonzo said:

Man tell your boss to suck one off. This sounds beyond shady as fuck.

• Haha 1

• Administrator
On 31/07/2021 at 17:00, nudge said:

I just hate those kind of books with passion 😂 Ugh.

You mean books written by former secret service agents that hold their experiences and approaches to negotiating? 🤔

6 hours ago, MUFC said:

Good.

Bad.

Rant over.

Good things I've learned:

1.) Learning how to recognise good people skills/how to have good people skills - sort of invaluable both in working with other people... as well as just generally a person. I think I'd be a lot more socially awkward if I'd just stayed at home not working an office job and pursued the family buisness, tbh. But that's just me personally.

2.) Learning time management skills - it makes your job easier and it makes your life easier.

3.) Learning by doing things - so many times when I first started I was given work to do that... I really knew next to nothing about what I was working on when I started but I figured out what to do as I went along doing things more and more. Obviously there's only so much you can "learn by doing" just on your own and there will be times you need to make sure you're doing things right.

Bad things I've learned:

1.) The "Peter Principal" is real: people get promoted beyond their level of competence fucking constantly ("Petering out") and it leads to the common workplace culture of shit managers/executives that are in over their heads.

2.) Some industries/certain sectors of businesses have a "boys club" mentality that feels like it's straight from the 50s or 60s. I'm mostly thinking about my business trips with sales people where I work. Casual racism, casual sexism, people acting like they're in the cast of Mad Men... it's just weird & I know of at least one female coworker in the division I work in that felt incredibly uncomfortable on one trip she went on with them. And having been on several of these trips... I fully understand why.

3.) Exploiting workers in high pressure/competitive fields - managers do this all the time because they view newer workers as somewhat disposable. It leads to overworking people who are new, which leads to work-life imbalances that lead to people generally being unhappy and high turnaround with constant faces coming and going. Thankfully this is more of an issue at my last job than where I currently work... but I remember it being something I hated. You feel constantly overworked, like you aren't really valued, and it feels like an unstable work environment.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Batard said:

You mean books written by former secret service agents that hold their experiences and approaches to negotiating? 🤔

No, I mean most of those leadership, management, armchair psychology, life-coaching, self-improvement and personal development books in general. I think I'm allergic to it xD