talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Work/Jobs Thread

football forum

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, nudge said:

No, I mean most of those leadership, management, armchair psychology, life-coaching, self-improvement and personal development books in general. I think I'm allergic to it xD 

You mean anything written by Tony Robbins? He's such a bellend. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Batard said:

You mean anything written by Tony Robbins? He's such a bellend. 

I don't even know who Tony Robbins is 😂 But there's just so much bullshit, pseudoscience and fluff in the genre that even while I'm sure there is some good stuff out there as well, it gets burried under the huge pile of poo. So every time I see a book that follows the same template (clickbaity title, flashy cover, promises to teach you something that will change your life, boasts about the number of sales, just to name a few), it immediately sets massive red flags and alarm bells start ringing in my head xD 

19 minutes ago, nudge said:

I don't even know who Tony Robbins is 😂 But there's just so much bullshit, pseudoscience and fluff in the genre that even while I'm sure there is some good stuff out there as well, it gets burried under the huge pile of poo. So every time I see a book that follows the same template (clickbaity title, flashy cover, promises to teach you something that will change your life, boasts about the number of sales, just to name a few), it immediately sets massive red flags and alarm bells start ringing in my head xD 

Tony Robbins is an enormous bellend.

Like no joke, he's enormous - his size is absolutely ridiculous. But he's also a fucking bellend and he's probably the #1 all bestselling bullshit artist.

I've actually watched a video somewhere on the internet with Chris Voss (the FBI hostage negotiator) talking about negotiations though and I thought it was really interesting and pretty useful tips, tbh. So I'm actually quite keen on checking out his book and seeing what his tips for negotiations are. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a million miles away from the shite you're thinking of, tbh.

I'd read a Tony Robbins book if it was about how to sell bullshit to people... but not his typical books that are just the bullshit he's trying to sell xD

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, nudge said:

Bad day at work?... 😂

Anyway, to add to your list of observations:

- in terms of advancing in your professional career, networking and interpersonal relationships are by far more important than actual skills and knowledge. Being the best at your job is great and has its advantages as well, but it's not the road to promotion.

- staying neutral in office politics, not taking sides, and being good at keeping "secrets" puts you in a very good position, as everyone tends to confide in you and thus you always have plenty of information you can eventually use for your own advantage.

- senior management in big companies don't know jack shit.

This is a good point, a case of who you know? But being honest I'd rather get a job for having the ability opposed to who I know. 

In the office there were 10 of us who were a tight knit bunch. But saying that, there were times when some of the 10 would bitch about another.

Correct about senior managers. It makes you think how did they get so high up?

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Good things I've learned:

1.) Learning how to recognise good people skills/how to have good people skills - sort of invaluable both in working with other people... as well as just generally a person. I think I'd be a lot more socially awkward if I'd just stayed at home not working an office job and pursued the family buisness, tbh. But that's just me personally.

2.) Learning time management skills - it makes your job easier and it makes your life easier.

3.) Learning by doing things - so many times when I first started I was given work to do that... I really knew next to nothing about what I was working on when I started but I figured out what to do as I went along doing things more and more. Obviously there's only so much you can "learn by doing" just on your own and there will be times you need to make sure you're doing things right.

Bad things I've learned:

1.) The "Peter Principal" is real: people get promoted beyond their level of competence fucking constantly ("Petering out") and it leads to the common workplace culture of shit managers/executives that are in over their heads.

2.) Some industries/certain sectors of businesses have a "boys club" mentality that feels like it's straight from the 50s or 60s. I'm mostly thinking about my business trips with sales people where I work. Casual racism, casual sexism, people acting like they're in the cast of Mad Men... it's just weird & I know of at least one female coworker in the division I work in that felt incredibly uncomfortable on one trip she went on with them. And having been on several of these trips... I fully understand why.

3.) Exploiting workers in high pressure/competitive fields - managers do this all the time because they view newer workers as somewhat disposable. It leads to overworking people who are new, which leads to work-life imbalances that lead to people generally being unhappy and high turnaround with constant faces coming and going. Thankfully this is more of an issue at my last job than where I currently work... but I remember it being something I hated. You feel constantly overworked, like you aren't really valued, and it feels like an unstable work environment.

My people skills in person are second to none. But I feel that being polite in nature can also work against you.

I always used to get to work 45 minutes prior to when my shift started. I could do a few of the tedious jobs I hated prior to starting. However, this became difficult as the twats of managers would ask me to do other things even so my shift hadn't yet started.

The club mentality. That's how I felt it was with many of the female managers and many of the women over 50. They'd grown up working together, some from as young as 16. Left school and went straight to the bank. They could get away with doing fuck-all, it was like an over 50's dumb Maggie Smith club.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tony Robbins is an enormous bellend.

Like no joke, he's enormous - his size is absolutely ridiculous. But he's also a fucking bellend and he's probably the #1 all bestselling bullshit artist.

I've actually watched a video somewhere on the internet with Chris Voss (the FBI hostage negotiator) talking about negotiations though and I thought it was really interesting and pretty useful tips, tbh. So I'm actually quite keen on checking out his book and seeing what his tips for negotiations are. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a million miles away from the shite you're thinking of, tbh.

I'd read a Tony Robbins book if it was about how to sell bullshit to people... but not his typical books that are just the bullshit he's trying to sell xD

Oh that's quite likely xD  as I said, I'm aware that there's some good stuff in there. The other thing is, I personally have little to none interest in the topics like that - negotiating, leadership, management skills, etc. and have a huge distaste for the whole "business" setting in general, which makes it all even less appealing to me. 

I will have to check Tony Robbins now just to see how high it scores on my bullshit radar xD 

• Subscriber
On 31/07/2021 at 08:33, Stan said:

Nice! I'd love to get to a position where I don't have to work a full week and still afford all the mortgage and bills etc. 

How does the 3-day week work as a teacher? 

I interviewed people for a job for the first time ever last month as part of my new job and you get a totally different perspective. Was actually a bit odd to get used to. I guess you have to be really on the ball and have good attention to detail as to what the interviewee is saying and try and read through the lines or any bullshit if possible. 

I totally get the decisions thing as well. My new boss has basically given me the green light to just make decisions as long as I can justify them sensibly and with the right processes followed. 

It’s a learning curve! I’m learning everyday. 

What’s your job title?

I find the best way to get people you’re in charge of to relate to you is admit your flaws and where you’ve made mistakes. Especially when you’re trying to man manage people and get the best out of them.

My new job if just under a year has been a strange adjustment.. 90% of my staff are women. And as even the women on here would admit. Lots of women together can be hard work! But it’s so driven on Quality side of things and procedures. Learnt so much. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

It’s a learning curve! I’m learning everyday. 

What’s your job title?

I find the best way to get people you’re in charge of to relate to you is admit your flaws and where you’ve made mistakes. Especially when you’re trying to man manage people and get the best out of them.

My new job if just under a year has been a strange adjustment.. 90% of my staff are women. And as even the women on here would admit. Lots of women together can be hard work! But it’s so driven on Quality side of things and procedures. Learnt so much. 

Definitely. I need to keep reminding myself of that as well, that it's a learning curve. 

I'm an Area Housing Manager. So now managing a team of 5 Housing Officers. 

Before I joined a lot of current managers and colleagues said that most of management is now what you know but just managing people and expectations. Definitely feeling that at the moment. In our general department it's absolutely manic right now - people off on sick, leave, family emergencies etc. In what is already a very busy environment, it's made worse when just a few people go off for any reason. 

Exacerbated a lot by pretty my triple that usual amount and some of it sudden.

Times like this you just need to pull together and get through it. Hopefully come out the other side at some point not feeling too dead xD

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

I've not been involved in any leadership roles because I've never thought to apply really, never wanted that from my career so far, but I've been involved in roles where I've been a trainer/the most experienced in a team. When I think about leadership I think about the worst bosses I've had, the middle of the road and the best.

The worst have without doubt had no people skills whatsoever, just been really good at their job and are really productive but can talk to you like shit in an instant. The middle of the road bosses have been easy to work with, not stressful but also don't really get things done/seem to linger with your development. I would say in my working life so far, and all the jobs I've done, I've probably had 2 absolute genuinely great bosses and a couple after that, that are up there but not the best I've had. The main points about their leadership though is this: they're extremely honest and don't lead you on, they're genuinely interested in your life and you as a person (had one boss that went out of his way to essentially say good morning/good afternoon/have a chat with close to 100 people every day, because he genuinely wanted people to feel like the workplace was a good place to be), they treat you like adults, tell you what you're doing wrong as it needs to be said in a calm and concise way and have an action plan for you to turn it around...essentially they're not like a teacher with students, because some bosses can be really patronising and will talk down to you without you realising it.

• Upvote 1

On 03/08/2021 at 21:04, MUFC said:

My people skills in person are second to none. But I feel that being polite in nature can also work against you.

I always used to get to work 45 minutes prior to when my shift started. I could do a few of the tedious jobs I hated prior to starting. However, this became difficult as the twats of managers would ask me to do other things even so my shift hadn't yet started.

Yes that can work against you, I learnt to switch off the Microsoft communicator to off-line status up until 9.00 though if someone came to my desk just had to accept it.

Managers are different too, some can be in at 7.30am others 8.45am and another 10.30am.

Some are authoritarian most are easy going until things go wrong as they do from time to time.

Successful ones for me need an edge, so you automatically respect them and knock on their door when their calendars are free. Normally found this worked though am also able to judge when they are stressed and know that is not the time to approach.

One manager I liked early on was in charge of about 100 people, I go on well with him as we went to the same school although about a decade apart. I recall one evening about 6pm the phones were going and I was the only one there, he came out of the office and picked up a phone and dealt with it.

When I wanted a move he told me straight he didn't think I could get into that area of the company though added he didn't want to lose me.

I later moved jobs and a couple of years later moved abroad and phoned him to see if he would give me a reference, he seemed delighted. The agency later told me he game me a top reference and I got a decent job.

When I came back to the UK I went back to that company and on my first day I saw that manager walking through the corridor and nodded and smiled.  I never saw him again in the office, he had just been sacked.

Bizarrely I saw him five years later at a school reunion and we had a chat and it was interesting, he told me he had fallen out with the client manager. By then he had risen to manage about 250 people yet had fallen out with the client manager and had paid the price.  He knew it was a grey area and should have been diplomatic though for some reason he could not explain he decided to stick to his guns and let the other know in no uncertain terms he was not budging. He was philosophical about knowing it was partly his own fault.

Said he had had a couple of jobs later though added they did not last long this was about 2005.

• Wow 1

• Subscriber
On 04/08/2021 at 23:42, Stan said:

Definitely. I need to keep reminding myself of that as well, that it's a learning curve. 

I'm an Area Housing Manager. So now managing a team of 5 Housing Officers. 

Before I joined a lot of current managers and colleagues said that most of management is now what you know but just managing people and expectations. Definitely feeling that at the moment. In our general department it's absolutely manic right now - people off on sick, leave, family emergencies etc. In what is already a very busy environment, it's made worse when just a few people go off for any reason. 

Exacerbated a lot by pretty my triple that usual amount and some of it sudden.

Times like this you just need to pull together and get through it. Hopefully come out the other side at some point not feeling too dead xD

Sounds good mate. Knowing your persona on here for many years it definitely sounds like something you would excel in. And I’m sure you’ll be a sponge like I am and learn on the job.

Not sure if it’s because I’ve had a few beers or it’s late or I’ve just forgot how to spell… but the word excel doesn’t look right in that context. Mainly because I’ve spent 6 of my 8 hours till 10:30pm messing with the cunt 😂. Sadly love it though. Made an amazing auto populating works order report with efficiencies and KPI’s etc. I’ll have to post it another day. 

Just finished my 2nd of 3 weeks on late shifts doing the company a favour. Bloody hard when I’m used to not working late on a Friday but i know it will go down well in the long run. Touching midnight before im sat down. 2 hours on PS few beers now takeaway and its 2am. And I’m up at 10 in the morning out all day…. Is it just me that struggles to switch off after work? Same when I used to work nights for years till 6am. No matter how tired I was I could never get home and go straight to sleep. Too mentally involved. 

I don’t miss going to sleep at 8am though every day one week in 3. One positive of my recent career change.  

• Administrator
7 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Sounds good mate. Knowing your persona on here for many years it definitely sounds like something you would excel in. And I’m sure you’ll be a sponge like I am and learn on the job.

Not sure if it’s because I’ve had a few beers or it’s late or I’ve just forgot how to spell… but the word excel doesn’t look right in that context. Mainly because I’ve spent 6 of my 8 hours till 10:30pm messing with the cunt 😂. Sadly love it though. Made an amazing auto populating works order report with efficiencies and KPI’s etc. I’ll have to post it another day. 

Just finished my 2nd of 3 weeks on late shifts doing the company a favour. Bloody hard when I’m used to not working late on a Friday but i know it will go down well in the long run. Touching midnight before im sat down. 2 hours on PS few beers now takeaway and its 2am. And I’m up at 10 in the morning out all day…. Is it just me that struggles to switch off after work? Same when I used to work nights for years till 6am. No matter how tired I was I could never get home and go straight to sleep. Too mentally involved. 

I don’t miss going to sleep at 8am though every day one week in 3. One positive of my recent career change.  

Haha my old manager actually said I was like a sponge because I just take things on and absorb them, don't need telling twice often. Make a mistake and it'll only be made once kind of thing. 

And yes you've definitely had a few... It is excel xD

You're not the only one - I struggled/struggle quite a bit about turning off. Took me a while to stop checking my phone for emails in the evening. 

@Bluewolf does/did nights so he's a seasoned pro you can probably get some advice off! 

• 1 month later...

Was on a engineering call today with some directors about some new updates and solutions, and I was asking some questions to fully grasp what was coming, and after asking more and more questions, I guess I found 'maybe' a bit of a gap in the solution, and got a couple of the guys laughing. 

One guy spoke up and asked me if I spoke Dutch or French fluently because he needed a security engineer in the Amsterdam office. 

My reply? Nope, but I'll learn if you give me 6 months. 

We laughed, continued the call, and then afterwards he pinged me to ask me about my response and if I was really interested, and now we have a call next week to see how the logistics would work. 

So yeah....Amsterdam. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

When I go in and do a bit of cover for the covid testing that's pretty cushy... 

Can imagine! First time I’ve done it in my new job, been here a year. 

Best actually get some work done… doing routings for sage. 

E69D7546-75AA-4933-A511-EC921843910E.jpeg

Edited by JoshBRFC
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

How was I the last to post in here? I was tossing it off money grabbing when I posted this sat on my arse 😂 you talented bunch must have had some interesting career changes since then. 

I consciously decided I wasn’t happy but wanted to make the most out of my current job in the medical industry, I updated my CV and started practicing. Got a call from a good friend about a position of shift manager at a pharmaceutical company. I had a phone call interview, smashed it, MS teams interview… smashed it. Then a tour and interview with the board and smashed that. Left the final interview skeptical and was told within 2 days you will hear from us. Within 10 minutes of leaving got a call offering me the job, had to pull over in the car I was that ecstatic. Basically it’s an extra 10k a year than I’m on now, much more senior role at a vetinary pharmaceutical company. The team are lacking morale it seems and I know I can change that. Very excited to get started on Jan 4th.

Sometimes you look back on small decisions even if they aren’t the reason for success and pat yourself on the back. I don’t think that putting my phone away and staying off the internet was my key to success, but it was the start of something and part of a bigger picture. Last 2 days at my current place before a nice Christmas break and a fresh challenge in the new year.

It hit me how much impact I’ve had with my current team when I announced to my  shift of 25 people that I’m leaving and a few cried. You realise the impact you’ve had. I love changing and improving other people - so so satisfying. 

@Bluewolf correct me if I’m wrong but you strike me as someone who’s been in similar job roles. 

Edited by JoshBRFC
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 21/12/2021 at 23:40, Bluewolf said:

What? the ones where people start crying when I decide to leave you mean??? plenty B|

Hahahahaha! I just mean managing people in similar environments.

They were mainly women at my last job, so they were a bit over the top i must admit haha.

On 21/12/2021 at 21:20, JoshBRFC said:

How was I the last to post in here? I was tossing it off money grabbing when I posted this sat on my arse 😂 you talented bunch must have had some interesting career changes since then. 

I consciously decided I wasn’t happy but wanted to make the most out of my current job in the medical industry, I updated my CV and started practicing. Got a call from a good friend about a position of shift manager at a pharmaceutical company. I had a phone call interview, smashed it, MS teams interview… smashed it. Then a tour and interview with the board and smashed that. Left the final interview skeptical and was told within 2 days you will hear from us. Within 10 minutes of leaving got a call offering me the job, had to pull over in the car I was that ecstatic. Basically it’s an extra 10k a year than I’m on now, much more senior role at a vetinary pharmaceutical company. The team are lacking morale it seems and I know I can change that. Very excited to get started on Jan 4th.

Sometimes you look back on small decisions even if they aren’t the reason for success and pat yourself on the back. I don’t think that putting my phone away and staying off the internet was my key to success, but it was the start of something and part of a bigger picture. Last 2 days at my current place before a nice Christmas break and a fresh challenge in the new year.

It hit me how much impact I’ve had with my current team when I announced to my  shift of 25 people that I’m leaving and a few cried. You realise the impact you’ve had. I love changing and improving other people - so so satisfying. 

@Bluewolf correct me if I’m wrong but you strike me as someone who’s been in similar job roles. 

Well done matey, new job for the new year is always a good way to start. Can't like though 12 hour shift watching netflix/youtube is right up my alley xD

• Like 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Well done matey, new job for the new year is always a good way to start. Can't like though 12 hour shift watching netflix/youtube is right up my alley xD

Cheers mate. Less than a week in and it's bloody tough. 

1 minute ago, JoshBRFC said:

Cheers mate. Less than a week in and it's bloody tough. 

That's what the extra ten grands for :hh:

Plus it takes about 3 months to get fully settled into a new role anyway, sure you'll have the hang of it by then