talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Work/Jobs Thread

football forum

I had an opportunity to move school next year. However it was blocked due to my boss lying in a character reference so I have huge anxiety about returning to work next week. Didn’t sleep last night at all.

I need to hold him to account. He has friends in very high places but am looking at my options to file a grievance. Have asked for union advice. Very, very, shit situation. The irony is he encouraged me to apply for that position too. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I had an opportunity to move school next year. However it was blocked due to my boss lying in a character reference so I have huge anxiety about returning to work next week. Didn’t sleep last night at all.

I need to hold him to account. He has friends in very high places but am looking at my options to file a grievance. Have asked for union advice. Very, very, shit situation. The irony is he encouraged me to apply for that position too. 

Wow that’s awful mate.

Did he lie about you so they wouldn’t take you on and he could keep you?

Easier said than done but you haven’t done anything wrong so you shouldn’t feel shit. He absolutely needs to be held accountable. 

4 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Wow that’s awful mate.

Did he lie about you so they wouldn’t take you on and he could keep you?

Easier said than done but you haven’t done anything wrong so you shouldn’t feel shit. He absolutely needs to be held accountable. 

Tough one mate - as he went on the attack the same week the reference was sent to him. He legit had a meltdown and tried to pull up 3 of us who just all happen to be in the union over non matters. That was horrendous too but we met, and it was done and cleared up. (Sorta).  He throws his toys out the pram if anyone wants to seek a new challenge. If he wanted to keep me - he could’ve just written something else! 

His lies are around two things. 1) a conversation that never happened and 2) an outrageous claim about my professionalism that if it was an issue would’ve been brought up in the 2.5 years I’ve been at the school. And it hasn’t. 

Edited by Toinho

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Tough one mate - as he went on the attack the same week the reference was sent to him. He legit had a meltdown and tried to pull up 3 of us who just all happen to be in the union over non matters. That was horrendous too but we met, and it was done and cleared up. (Sorta).  He throws his toys out the pram if anyone wants to seek a new challenge. If he wanted to keep me - he could’ve just written something else! 

His lies are around two things. 1) a conversation that never happened and 2) an outrageous claim about my professionalism that if it was an issue would’ve been brought up in the 2.5 years I’ve been at the school. And it hasn’t. 

Wow that’s absolutely disgusting behaviour. I’d want to be away from him asap anyway. What a cunt he sounds. 

I never understand those people who want to hold people back. It’s a selfish way to go through your professional life, it irritates me.

Sounds to me like he values you in your role but is a selfish cunt and wants you all for himself. 

Quite the opposite - A girl who works under me and is very good at her job I’ve been giving advice to this week about applying for a job in a different department. She wanted to go for it and then had doubts and I encouraged her to apply as it’s good experience and she may surprise herself and get the job and further develop herself.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/08/2022 at 18:00, JoshBRFC said:

Wow that’s absolutely disgusting behaviour. I’d want to be away from him asap anyway. What a cunt he sounds. 

I never understand those people who want to hold people back. It’s a selfish way to go through your professional life, it irritates me.

Sounds to me like he values you in your role but is a selfish cunt and wants you all for himself. 

Quite the opposite - A girl who works under me and is very good at her job I’ve been giving advice to this week about applying for a job in a different department. She wanted to go for it and then had doubts and I encouraged her to apply as it’s good experience and she may surprise herself and get the job and further develop herself.

There's been a few developments since this, I continue to apply elsewhere, but now he knows I will hold him accountable, I'm hoping for more positive outcomes. I just cannot tolerate such behaviour. 

15 minutes ago, Toinho said:

There's been a few developments since this, I continue to apply elsewhere, but now he knows I will hold him accountable, I'm hoping for more positive outcomes. I just cannot tolerate such behaviour. 

You’ll be okay mate. You are a smart man, with qualifications, and experience. It’ll pull through, nothing is permanent

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spike said:

You’ll be okay mate. You are a smart man, with qualifications, and experience. It’ll pull through, nothing is permanent

Thanks lad, appreciate it. I have made one appointment pool for next school year so am hoping for a permanent full time offer of employment for next year. I will continue to apply elsewhere to increase my chances. It's a bit upsetting as the teaching, support staff and students are unreal where I am, but as I have posted previously I cannot simply put up with consistent nonsense. haha

• 1 month later...
On 25/08/2022 at 15:53, MUFC said:

Anyone in the USA aware of this? @Eco

Just decided to log in to see if my account was still active. 

But yeah, there are a lot of cities trying to get remote workers to move there. I have seen some cities offering free moving services and $10k to move there and stay for 3-5 years at least. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Eco Where have you been? Missed you xx

I'm alive and still here. 

There was an internal dispute that I felt like the scapegoat for so I figured my time, energy, and money was better spent elsewhere. 

Hope you're doing well though! 

• 2 months later...

So, it’s come down to last minute leaving before the school year starts (end of Jan) or staying and having my mental health problems for another year. The down side to this decision (it sounds easy doesn’t it?!) is that my principal refuses to release me for 12 months. I am a permanent member of staff which essentially means I have a job at my school until I retire lol. 

Now the school that wants me for 12 months sees actual value in me and have spoken about more leadership opportunities than I’m currently receiving where I am. This is only a year contract with no guarantee of more time. I will have to relinquish my permanent position which is absolute gold in the teaching world. 

Another negative is it’s about a 20-25 minute drive whereas current place is 10 minutes away so technically less time at home. 

But, the positives are new environment (be more challenging from let’s say…. Clientele. ) and hopefully a supportive admin team and a great learning experience for me. 

I will miss the opportunity to say goodbye to students who I’ve known for 3 years and staff, which will be sad, but I guess I’m a little conflicted. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2023 at 15:43, Toinho said:

So, it’s come down to last minute leaving before the school year starts (end of Jan) or staying and having my mental health problems for another year. The down side to this decision (it sounds easy doesn’t it?!) is that my principal refuses to release me for 12 months. I am a permanent member of staff which essentially means I have a job at my school until I retire lol. 

Now the school that wants me for 12 months sees actual value in me and have spoken about more leadership opportunities than I’m currently receiving where I am. This is only a year contract with no guarantee of more time. I will have to relinquish my permanent position which is absolute gold in the teaching world. 

Another negative is it’s about a 20-25 minute drive whereas current place is 10 minutes away so technically less time at home. 

But, the positives are new environment (be more challenging from let’s say…. Clientele. ) and hopefully a supportive admin team and a great learning experience for me. 

I will miss the opportunity to say goodbye to students who I’ve known for 3 years and staff, which will be sad, but I guess I’m a little conflicted. 

I did it. I quit. I relinquished a lifetime job, in favour of my mental health! 

Tomorrow I will accept a 12 month contract at another school. A new chapter, hopefully a greener one, begins! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I did it. I quit. I relinquished a lifetime job, in favour of my mental health! 

Tomorrow I will accept a 12 month contract at another school. A new chapter, hopefully a greener one, begins! 

Best of luck for your next chapter! 🤞 I think prioritising mental health will turn out to be the best move in the end. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • Subscriber
On 26/01/2023 at 13:45, MUFC said:

What is the long you've been at a company for?

Tyre remold factory down South, 14 years then off and on for another 6 years then up here in Scotland, security work in a building for around 16 years, and then retired.

Started off in the legal field,  worked in civil and criminal practice for 12 years before realising it wasn't what I wanted anymore.   Moved over to obtaining a CPL and worked a few years on a private charter company but the money to hours worked is not sufficient to maintain a comfortable lifestyle.

Since 2019 I went back to the legal field albeit Labour dealing with collective bargaining councils and help in the formulation of new council main agreements and rules for various employment sectors.   I do some mediation, conciliation and arbitration from time to time.   I do enjoy this line of work.