talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Work/Jobs Thread

football forum

On 15/03/2017 at 11:01 AM, Mel81x said:

You're right about their chais, I don't often find myself in a Starbucks because road-side chai-wallahs have ruined it for me and their taste is far better than what you get in a store. If you want a great cup you should visit one of these guys and it will blow your mind.

chai-wallah.jpg

I have a very solid hypothesis that their unhygenic methods are the reason for their excellent taste

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Azeem98 said:

I have a very solid hypothesis that their unhygenic methods are the reason for their excellent taste

I think you're right. Even food from road-side stalls taste 100 times better than what you get in a resto and I've tried to prove that wrong on many an occasion and failed.

I work for a Freight Train operator based inside Southampton Docks so deal with a lot of shipping containers and trains.

I work Day/Night shifts, 12 hours at a time. It's good pay for what I do (compared to some people out there in the real world) with little pressure, and I get a fair bit of time off as we sort of work to a 4 shifts on, 4 shifts off pattern.

But, I do feel like I've become complacent in my role and have lost the impetus to test myself further. Perhaps it's because things are too easy for me or I've now got to the state where change unnerves me.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

I work for a Freight Train operator based inside Southampton Docks so deal with a lot of shipping containers and trains.

I work Day/Night shifts, 12 hours at a time. It's good pay for what I do (compared to some people out there in the real world) with little pressure, and I get a fair bit of time off as we sort of work to a 4 shifts on, 4 shifts off pattern.

But, I do feel like I've become complacent in my role and have lost the impetus to test myself further. Perhaps it's because things are too easy for me or I've now got to the state where change unnerves me.

Had that complacent feeling towards the end of my last teaching job which was a real eye opener. It was then I knew I needed to change jobs.

• Administrator
19 hours ago, shut up said:

I have to deal with you fuckers on a daily basis. Housing Associations suck balls.

"I've locked myself out of my account, again". "My Vasco token isn't working".

i have no idea what this is. 

• Like 1

• Administrator
15 hours ago, shut up said:

Housing I.T. I assume you use some sort of computer Application to keep tracks of tenants, rents, repairs etc..

ah okay. We use a programme called Orchard to keep track of that stuff. Can be very temperamental but my family work in IT so I'd rather go to them than our IT team xD 

what company do you work for if you don't mind me asking?

28 minutes ago, Stan said:

ah okay. We use a programme called Orchard to keep track of that stuff. Can be very temperamental but my family work in IT so I'd rather go to them than our IT team xD 

what company do you work for if you don't mind me asking?

Of course they fucking do.

• Haha 1

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, shut up said:

Ahh, Orchard Housing Live. My nemesis.

I work in local government. 

haha our nemesis too! Nightmare to work with especially after we were promised so much xD

• 9 months later...

I've been offering some of my students extra practice for their English exam which they have coming up at the end of June where I've been giving them a meeting type thing where we discuss their essays and where we mostly do some speaking practice for the exam. In my work of teaching English to English learners particularly in the context of academies in Spain,  for teachers to offer their students something like this (as far as I know) is very rare. It's not something like where you're at university where it's common to see students have meetings with their teachers for example. What I've offered my students is totally free for them and entirely for their benefit. I've done this for two weeks so far (there wasn't the opportunity last week) but I will try to continue it up until their exam.

So far I've done this with two students in this particular class, one was very thankful both times. First of all initially when I offered it to him and after every 'meeting' he was very thankful and this is for a Spaniard (where their concept of saying thank you is a lot different to us Brits). I'm not saying one culture is right or wrong, just there's a cultural difference in this context of manners and behavior which is worth mentioning before I go on. So student number one was very thankful, he'd recognized what I was doing and what not. Student two however a different story. It was one Wednesday which is my busiest day teaching, it's the day where I have the most classes and where I also teach young kids. So I finish work at 21:30, tired and then I spend nearly an extra hour with this student, intense speaking practice for him, one on one, useful for his exam which he has paid a lot of money for and we finish the 'meeting' and not a single 'thank you'. I wasn't waiting for it at all, I'm not expecting them to love me for it or anything but I walked off from the meeting and realised I've just basically given this guy an extra free class on top of what he's had this week at the academy and I didn't even get a thank you. xDIt's worth mentioning when I offered him the opportunity of this extra practice a few weeks before, he was very grateful in that moment but still to do all that on that particular Wednesday and not get at least a 'thank you' after the meeting. Jeez. It's true this bloke is a bit of a character and there's the context of him conducting himself in a second language but still, he's an advanced student and he's been banging on all year about how he loves Britain and how polite we are. I really enjoy teaching but teaching English (depending on who you're teaching and where) you're generally underpaid for what you do so you can throw that in there as well hence me offering something like that, it's asking a bit more from me. It's not as if I'm earning loads and then offering these classes if you see what I mean.

I also have a big thing for manners.

Edited by carefreeluke
  • Upvote 2

Being down two full time staff members in a small (But incredibly busy) post office is proving to be so stressful. I'm literally non stop from 8 30-5.30pm. Not one break in the endless stream of customers, as we are the only office in about a 15 mile radius now (there used to be 4) we get customers from all those old branches too. I'm just constantly tired now, so lately ive been nothing with my artwork outside of work.  Which is really anti-productive, because I'm hoping that I can one day have my art be my main stream of income. 

Plus I'm crippled with my back and legs. I can barely walk now with being in terrible pain, I was diagnosed with sciatica a couple of years ago, and for the most part it's been okay to manage. The last month or so my back and legs have deteriorated and I'm pretty scared that one of my disc have either collapsed or eroded. 

So all is going well 😂

9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Copy/Paste?

Haven't written them before in Australia, so I'll have to try prepare some original ones! I've done my general comments but still have Numeracy and Literacy. Long weekend this weekend but I'll be doing school work. The reality of education. 

My job's alright... I wouldn't say I love it or anything. I don't dislike it, and that's better than some of the other jobs I've had. We do statistical analysis & consulting for various businesses we've got as clients (mostly insurance companies, but we've covered a pretty wide variety of industries) - so the part where I'm just crunching numbers is pretty fucking boring. The stuff where you actually have to interpret your data and make recommendations to businesses based on that data requires a little more brainwork and creative thought (although not too creative). Some parts of the job are pretty fun - I like the face to face meetings with clients (usually because I get to eat tasty food and get drunk on the company's credit card :banana:) and some of the business trips have been great fun.

But I really fucking hate when they send me out traveling and I've got to be wherever I've been sent to for more than 3 days. Traveling is simultaneously the best and the worst thing about the job.

I can't complain too much though. Catch me on a different day though... and I might have more gripes about work. But how much can I really complain about my job while I'm currently posting this from work :D?

• Subscriber
On 5/31/2018 at 13:02, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

Plus I'm crippled with my back and legs. I can barely walk now with being in terrible pain, I was diagnosed with sciatica a couple of years ago, and for the most part it's been okay to manage. The last month or so my back and legs have deteriorated and I'm pretty scared that one of my disc have either collapsed or eroded. 

So all is going well 😂

Jesus that sounds horrible. And having a job that is consistently better surely can't be any good for you. Is it a lot of running around? Hope it gets better for you.

• The title was changed to Work/Jobs Thread