talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group B Matchday 1 - 15 June

football forum

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portugal are way more talented than that Greece team. They have outstanding technical players like Moutinho, Bernardo Silva, Guerreiro and Guedes. 

But for some reason none of them seem to really turn up and instead they mainly get joy off set pieces.

They're like a luxury version of that Greece team. They could be different but it's like they choose not to.

Just now, Spike said:

Brian thinks too broadly. He knows Ronaldo can dribble up the flank and score a goal; so is disappointed when he doesn't od that. He gets caught on the bigger picture. When he criticises Ronaldo for being 'limited' or 'finished' he isn't saying he is bad, he is saying that he isn't doing verything Ronaldo can do and that he doesn't approach the game in the same manner as he used to. I think he is clumsy with his explanations but I don't think Brian thinks poorly of Ronaldo at all.

Brian is a smart lad but he is emotional and defensive; that is why he never backs down.

Exactly this. This was a standard "good game" from 2018 Ronaldo. He did everything he's supposed too and he can't be blamed really. Hell, he got a hattrick, so no criticism from me. I was harsh with my wording perhaps saying he did fuck all, but he wasn't dynamic enough as he was in the older days. I get that he's old and he's done well to adapt to a different style, but preference wise I think he is a bit limited, which does not mean bad if you're going to do the job.

I know I am not a fan and all that but have to hand it to Ronaldo for doing the business when it matters... It makes no difference how you get goals and long as you get the buggers.. When they look back on his goal scoring exploits in 10 years time I doubt anyone will be moaning about how many were penalties or free kicks.. 

As for the match itself it's it was great... The more like this the better

Hard to overlook that one of Spain's goal was preceded by a foul, but in the manner the game ended, I'll take that.

We started strong, having the ball. Scored the penalty and then we sat back, closing spaces to keep Spain from doing what they like. Guedes should have killed the game with those two counters we had. Then, Costa being a cunt and getting away with it got them the draw. Although, to be fair, Fonte should have done better there.

Spain outclassed us for most of the second-half. Once they went ahead, we started to lose our heads a bit. That genius n.º 7 is what we needed, to comeback to the game. 

The positives I take from this match is that we were capable to snatch a point, against one of the favorites, after going behind in the score.

Negatives aspects is that our defense was very soft tonight. Raphael apart, our two CB's and Cédric didn't looked confident when they needed to tackle the ball, and when we needed to get it off from our box.

Next game is a must win. I believe this draw will leave the team with even more confidence.

Spain outclassed us for a big part of this game but... Cristiano fucking Ronaldo. What a man. That free kick is 07/08 Ronaldo.

Great watch overall but expected more control from us. Spain looked better than I thought they would, they can win this definitely.

3 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Did I miss it or did Ronaldo not take his top off once? :o I've gained a bit of respect for him if that's the case. xD

They didn't win. In fact id imagine Portugal will be a bit disappointed with the overall performance, after the first 10 mins Spain were in total control. Still, you got Ronaldo there then who cares?

Streets of Tehran right now - pretty cool for these people who are facing a crumbling economy, and being squeezed by both their own government & by foreign sanctions/embargos. A little moment of elation for them :) 

I don't think either side can complain about the draw, Spain made some stupid mistakes in defence but overall had control of most the game after the equaliser. Fair play to Ronaldo, he actually showed up at an international tournament. However, I do think that Costa's first and Nacho's goal were both better than Ronaldo's "1 in 50 attempts" free kick goal.

2 hours ago, ...Dan said:

Did I miss it or did Ronaldo not take his top off once? :o I've gained a bit of respect for him if that's the case. xD

He was also passing while he himself was in decent positions. And then he watched those passes get wasted, meaning his plan of showing everyone why he doesn't pass was a success.

Amazing game!  One of the best World Cup games I've ever seen.  An advert for the entertainment side of football which for me is what the sport should be all about.  So many epic moments in the game and even though I obviously wanted Spain to win I couldn't begrudge the justice of it all finishing 3-3 and making it one of World Cup legend games ever.

Great goals all round, amazing gaff by De Gea and  the Nacho and Cristiano goals were just WOW! Especially that free-kick. O.o

Call me sentimental, but it's a beautiful way for the game to finish between two brothers that share the Iberian Peninsula.

It's hard to recall a performance this good by any player in the international stage, against a big team. You just don't do hat tricks in the world cup... maybe against the weakest teams but not against the likes of Spain.

23 minutes ago, Machado said:

It's hard to recall a performance this good by any player in the international stage, against a big team. You just don't do hat tricks in the world cup... maybe against the weakest teams but not against the likes of Spain.

Zidane's performance v. France in '06 (quarter finals I think) was a really impressive performance from old man Zidane. But... it's not quite the same as a hatrick against Spain - especially as he didn't score any goals in that match (though he did get the assist for Henry's goal I'm pretty sure).

Ronaldo was fantastic today, he may have had some fortune... but he did everything he needed to have basically a perfect match. And against a very good Spain side.

1 hour ago, Machado said:

Robben tore Spain apart in the last world cup. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived