talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group D Matchday 1 - 16 June

football forum

16 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Messi's penalty record isn't that great is it? He should stop taking them. Surely Aguero would be a better option

Playing for Barça Messi misses a 24,4 % of penalties. League average is 27%. So he's been slightly above average in the league.

When playing for Argentina his failure rate is 14,3 %.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Messi did poor. His worst in the nationsl team kit.

Iceland set up the way we did against Barca in 09. Physically neglect them through the middle. 

Sampaoli needs to realise what he's up against. That starting XI was pitiful against a side that would most undoubtedly sit back the entire game. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Actually Messi was brilliant. This is the problem. But anyway...

Not in the second half, shooting from free kicks he had no right to. People will overreact to this, it's not the end of the world and Iceland deserve a lot of credit, not many teams would break that level of discipline down. However, you feel there's no cohesion to Argentina, Messi should be the best player in a good team, not the only player in an average team. 

Anyway, Portugal drew 1-1 with Iceland in their 2016 opener. Here's hoping this is an omen.

Just now, Cicero said:

Messi did poor. His worst in the nationsl team kit.

Iceland set up the way we did against Barca in 09. Physically neglect them through the middle. 

Sampaoli needs to realise what he's up against. That starting XI was pitiful against a side that would most undoubtedly sit back the entire game. 

You haven't seen us play very much then. Messi had a lot of games like this or worse with the NT, specially before the last WC.

Just now, Berserker said:

You haven't seen us play very much then. Messi had a lot of games like this or worse with the NT, specially before the last WC.

Hard to compete with that. He lost the ball more than he actually did anything with it. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Actually Messi was brilliant. This is the problem. But anyway...

I wouldn't say 'brilliant' but there was a definite over-reliance on him from the rest of the team.

Didn't/couldn't step up today when the team needed him to. Having said that, the rest of the team couldn't step up either to give him a hand.

Can't take anything away from Iceland though. Everyone will talk about Messi's missed penalty but their defence was superb. Constantly throwing bodies in the way to block shots/crosses, getting numbers back to surround the Argentinians and restrict them from playing. 

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Higuain start the next one? Take Messi off pens.

Perhaps, i also didn't want Messi to take the pen, i had a feeling he might miss it like he did. Wanted Aguero or Banega to take it.

Just now, Cicero said:

Hard to compete with that. He lost the ball more than he actually did anything with it. 

Well he was, before the last WC i would have said Higuain was the best player for the NT. Only in/after the Copa Americas did Messi really start to shine here.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Fake Messiah! Ese boludo no le tiene amor a su Pais!  I'm waiting to hear what maradona has to say 

when he's stopped snorting maybe he'll say a few words xD 

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Not in the second half, shooting from free kicks he had no right to. People will overreact to this, it's not the end of the world and Iceland deserve a lot of credit, not many teams would break that level of discipline down. However, you feel there's no cohesion to Argentina, Messi should be the best player in a good team, not the only player in an average team. 

Anyway, Portugal drew 1-1 with Iceland in their 2016 opener. Here's hoping this is an omen.

These days an elite performance is about scoring goals without recognising what you’ve just witnessed and comprehending the game as a whole. I’m amazed because not all here are teenagers when this phenomenon commenced.

He was everywhere and it unfortunately for him he feels the weight of a nation on his shoulders.

That team is poor from the front line back. Football fans in my opinion should learn to look at the game and forget their colours.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived