talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group D Matchday 1 - 16 June

football forum

@Cicero @Berserker @The Artful Dodger

To be fair, Messi was doing his best. His teammates and the tactic didn't support him. He was being marked by 3 huge players with little support. There was no overlapper or underlapper and his only option was to pass it sideways. 

I think that the only thing you could really blame him for is poorly shooting the penalty.

Sure, it seems a lazy thing to say. He's the best player in the world, but while it wasn't his best game and definitely wasn't brilliant, I wouldn't go as far as to say he was awful.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Berserker said:

You haven't seen us play very much then. Messi had a lot of games like this or worse with the NT, specially before the last WC.

Are you gonna join in with the Messi witch hunt that tends to rear its head after negative results in international tournaments.

Mate... Argentina are in the tournament because of him.  

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

These days an elite performance is about scoring goals without recognising what you’ve just witnessed and comprehending the game as a whole. I’m amazed because not all here are teenagers when this phenomenon commenced.

He was everywhere and it unfortunately for him he feels the weight of a nation on his shoulders.

That team is poor from the front line back. Football fans in my opinion should learn to look at the game and forget their colours.

That's not fair.

I certainly don't think that you have to score to be exceptional, what makes Messi so special is his ability without scoring. However, I felt in the second half he was getting desperate, frustrated and wasting free kicks. Shooting from 35 yards? Yes, he's capable but it's unlikely. 

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

@Cicero @Berserker @The Artful Dodger

To be fair, Messi was doing his best. His teammates and the tactic didn't support him. He was being marked by 3 huge players with little support. There was no overlapper or underlapper and his only option was to pass it sideways. 

I think that the only thing you could really blame him for is poorly shooting the penalty.

Sure, it seems a lazy thing to say. He's the best player in the world, but while it wasn't his best game and definitely wasn't brilliant, I wouldn't go as far as to say he was awful.

Isn't this the issue, everything is about Messi. I know Ronaldo has a similar thing with Portugal but you didn't see Portugal constantly giving it to him last night (maybe because they never had the ball...but yeah), players like Di Maria are completely emasculated in this system, there's no pace in their play.

Just now, SirBalon said:

Are you gonna join in with the Messi witch hunt that tends to rear its head after negative results in international tournaments.

Mate... Argentina are in the tournament because of him.  

No witch hunt of any kind from me mate. Just being honest and impartial like i'm always are. Messi is our best player and like you said being here is mostly down to him, but that's not to say he hasn't had his fair bit of bad matches and today was not exactly a great one either.

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Isn't this the issue, everything is about Messi. I know Ronaldo has a similar thing with Portugal but you didn't see Portugal constantly giving it to him last night (maybe because they never had the ball...but yeah), players like Di Maria are completely emasculated in this system, there's no pace in their play.

Portugal is a supremely better football team full of better players all round in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Mascherano plays in China mate. 

This argument has been used for a long time, since Mascherano was at Barça.

As much as Argentina played bad, credit must be given to Iceland. Their football is based on what is the basic principle of the game: that football is a team sport. You don't play and, even less, win in football alone.  

I'm looking forward to see if they can surprise the world, again, and get to the round of 16.

1 minute ago, ASF said:

This argument has been used for a long time, since Mascherano was at Barça.

As much as Argentina played bad, credit must be given to Iceland. Their football is based on what is the basic principle of the game: that football is a team sport. You don't play and, even less, win in football alone.  

I'm looking forward to see if they can surprise the world, again, and get to the round of 16.

Wouldn't bet against them, fancy them to beat Nigeria and then take a point off Croatia. If Croatia beat Argentina I think Argentina are out.

18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Actually Messi was brilliant. This is the problem. But anyway...

Really? I didn’t see it that way. It’s funny because apparently Ronaldo was mediocre after scoring 3 (not that you said that). Just amuses me that’s all.

6 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Ronaldo didn't have 3 men constantly marking him though. He also has nothing to do with what I said.

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Wouldn't bet against them, fancy them to beat Nigeria and then take a point off Croatia. If Croatia beat Argentina I think Argentina are out.

Yeah, them snatching a point today was huge.

They already know what it takes to beat Croatia and Nigeria, despite all their physicality and speed, don't have the tactical discipline of Iceland.

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

The comparison is valid, although I do agree Ronaldo had more freedom because Spain concentrated on what they can do rather than what the other team can.

To be fair I didn't see Messi that precise today technically, I don't think he was brilliant, just that he had to deal with well positioned players in which 3 players are marking you and their backup he got past that were 3 more players. 

17 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

For the non Spanish speakers, the first one reads:

"I SKIPPED WORK TO WATCH ARGENTINA LOSE TO A COUNTRY CREATED BY NETFLIX TO MAKE A TV SHOW ABOUT VIKINGS. SAMPAOLI PAY ME MY SALARY YOU MORON"

1 minute ago, Machado said:

For the non Englush speakers, the first one reads:

"I SKIPPED WORK TO WATCH ARGENTINA LOSE TO A COUNTRY CREATED BY NETFLIX TO MAKE A TV SHOW ABOUT VIKINGS. SAMPAOLI PAY ME MY SALARY YOU MORON"

Parabens Pedrinho, ta melhorando no Espanhol kkkk.

22 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Really? I didn’t see it that way. It’s funny because apparently Ronaldo was mediocre after scoring 3 (not that you said that). Just amuses me that’s all.

Well I thought Cristiano had one of his greatest games since being at Man Utd. He was brilliant and led his team, a very very good team. 

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That’s funny to be hoenst but Argentina DIDN’T draw today’s game because of Caballero. 

Tagliafico originally made a very poor misplaced pass that led to the equaliser 

Just now, Berserker said:

Wasn't that Rojo?, also the non awarded pen would have probably changed the outcome too.

Can’t focus on the non awarded penalty mate although I know where you’re coming from in terms of getting 3 points chalked on the blackboard first and foremost.

There are other MASSIVE issues for Sampaoli to resolve and the thing is that those problems should’ve been analysed before the World Cup started.

Honest to god... What the fuck is going on?

Is it all that bad in the pool available for Argentina?  I don’t think so... For me it’s a case of as per usual with the usual suspects being selected. Another thing to throw into the frying pan is that IF YOU’RE GONNA CHOOSE those usual suspects, then at least bring about some conservative tactics to win games from poignant moments like Iceland done by earning their draw.  

• The topic was unpinned

Archived