• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group D Matchday 1 - 16 June

football forum

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Armani is a better goalkeeper than Caballero, but as @SirBalon mentioned, Argentina have much deeper issues. They don´t have an operational midfield. The thing is a complete mess. Iwobi and Modric must be salivating watching this performance from Argentina.

On the other hand, some credit must be given to Iceland. It must be a pain to play against them. They´re physically so strong and tactically disciplined. 

I too think that the midfield is the biggest issue, but at least have a proper backup to all your mistakes. Caballero going off his line at every occasion and looking insecure everytime he receives a pass. I don't think we can just write that off.

3 minutes ago, ASF said:

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this.

He's not exactly playing with second division players. Mascherano, Di Maria, Aguero, all play at the highest level. So, this argument that I've seen countless of times sounds just like an excuse, to wash Messi's image.

Iceland holding their own well. If Argentina want to break Iceland's defense, they need to circulate the ball faster, like Spain did last night. Everything is being done at a slow pace.

Fancy Iceland to score again.

I tend to agree with this, Argentina aren't gelling as a team and you can't pin that on one player being above them all, he should be able to connect with them. To be fair I don't think he's played too badly but there needs to be more of a role given to their class players, if you know everything is going to be about one player it makes things easier for Iceland.

Iceland have got to get better deliveries at set pieces. At that last corner, you can see Arneson being marked by Mascherano and Magnusson marked by Aguero. Both have at least five/six inches of height advantage. Yet, Sigurdsson can't find any Icelandic player.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

The simple synopsis of the game so far is that Iceland are playing football KNOWING what they’re doing and RECOGNISING their status and at 1-1 they’re winning the battle at this moment. 

But they don't have quality players so it won't make a difference? Tactics can't save bad quality.

Just now, Blue said:

But they don't have quality players so it won't make a difference? Tactics can't save bad quality.

Iceland are in a district that doesn’t understand tactics. They play by inertia of what’s in front of them. They’re a team!

Just now, SirBalon said:

Iceland are in a district that doesn’t understand tactics. They play by inertia of what’s in front of them. They’re a team!

What does this even mean? Your English is a mystery xD

3 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Argentina's midfield is just dreadful. 

As Jackie Charlton used to say... “Forget everything in football. If you get your midfield functioning as a unit, you’re 90% there against anyone”

Just now, Blue said:

What does this even mean? Your English is a mystery xD

Inertia is directly proportational to mass means Bigger body the more inertia it has the more work you will have to do to move it.

He means Iceland plays more tougher as opposition gets tougher.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

As Jackie Charlton used to say... “Forget everything in football. If you get your midfield functioning as a unit, your 90% there against anyone”

There isnt any real options in midfield for Argentina in the squad apart from defensive minded,  they have to sacrifice Messi to be the creative force. 

Just now, Devon Von Devon said:

Inertia is directly proportational to mass means Bigger body the more inertia it has the more work you will have to do to move it.

He means Iceland plays more tougher as opposition gets tougher.

I didn't understand the whole sentence, his comparisons are on shakespeare level haha

15 minutes ago, ASF said:

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this.

He's not exactly playing with second division players. Mascherano, Di Maria, Aguero, all play at the highest level. So, this argument that I've seen countless of times sounds just like an excuse, to wash Messi's image.

Iceland holding their own well. If Argentina want to break Iceland's defense, they need to circulate the ball faster, like Spain did last night. Everything is being done at a slow pace.

Fancy Iceland to score again.

100% agree. This isn't Gareth Bale with Wales, these are some good players Messi is playing with. And they're up against a side that's just not very good, but is well organised and works hard.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived