talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Parma Accused of Match Fixing

Parma have denied allegations that the result of their final Serie B match of the season was fixed to allow them to secure promotion.

The Italian side beat Spezia 2-0 to secure second place in the table and a return to Serie A. It is their third promotion in as many seasons following their relegation from the top flight due to bankruptcy.

However, reports in Italy state an investigation has been opened into the match, and Parma confirmed that two of their players - Emanuele Calaio and Fabio Ceravolo - went to the Federal Prosecutor's Office in Rome on Friday.

The duo were asked to account for two text messages that were sent to former team-mates of theirs that are now playing for Spezia.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did you hear this? I believe you, but I'm not seeing anything about this on Google or Football Italia or any other of the news sources I visit.

If true, the state of Italian football is disgusting.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Where did you hear this? I believe you, but I'm not seeing anything about this on Google or Football Italia or any other of the news sources I visit.

If true, the state of Italian football is disgusting.

I think this would be the case even without this story!

• 2 weeks later...
Parma players set for trial

Parma pair Emanuele Calaio and Fabio Ceravolo will appear in court for text messages implying possible match-fixing en route to their Serie A promotion.

Gazzetta di Parma reports the messages were sent to Spezia duo Filippo De Col and Alberto Masi before Parma’s 2-0 win on May 18, which secured their return to the top flight.

However, one of the players would have showed them to CEO Luigi Micheli, who in turn informed the authorities so as to avoid his club being accused of failing to report any possible acts of wrongdoing.

They were then probed by the FIGC’s prosecutor, who has since referred Calaio and Ceravolo to its Federal National Court, the Gialloblu strikers due to stand before a judge ‘within 10 days’.

As for the punishments facing Parma, ANSA warns the club could be relegated back to Serie B before the new season starts. 

Archived