talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Frenkie de Jong - Barcelona-Bound?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems that an interview Barcelona and Spain legend Xavi had with Spanish journalist Edu Polo has had a big impact in the Dutch sports media where Xavi says that the best thing for Frenkie de Jong and Dutch football in general is for him to move to FC Barcelona.  Xavi also added that under normal circumstances he would always strongly advocate that young Dutch players should stay as long as possible in their native clubs in Holland but that this particular case is special and he's 100% definite that if Johan Cruyff was still around he would also be pushing for De Jong to be considered a special case and should make the move to Barça.  Xavi reckons that De Jong is the next Sergio Busquets and that the only way he can move to the next step is to move to FCB and that right now is imperative in his opinion.

The latest coming from inside Ajax is that they really don't want their young gem to move now.  At least not for this coming season and that any talk of moving should be put to rest and talked about next summer.  The problem with this according to experts is that De Jong's entourage could be moved to different areas of thought during this time and be tempted to the wrong club for his correct evolution due to the attraction of money.

So here we have an ethics question and a very particular debate that's very interesting to be honest.

@Panna King

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

What is the feasibility on De Jong being bought and loaned back to Ajax for this season? Ajax know they have to sell, De Jong wants to move and Barcelona want him. It would make sense for the deal to be done now and the little bits, such as when he arrives can be discussed later. 

Leaving this until next summer (as you mentioned) will only attract PSG, Madrid, Juventus etc.

I didn't do the whole Xavi interview justice as its massive and translating a three page transcript would've only served as a divorce case with my wife on me! xD

I say that because the bits I posted could be construed as Xavi making excuses of public influence to push the move to Barça but he does say in his interview that even with De Jong under normal circumstances would be better off at Ajax but with the way football is run these days and players inevitably moving to clubs with more financial clout (unfortunate for massive clubs like Ajax for example) that players make the wrong choices and move to the wrong places with all sorts of pressures being put on them like taking for example the influence Mino Raiola has had negatively on Dutch football for so many years.  Many players have gone to waste and disappeared from the scene which could've been positive for Dutch football.

6 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Carles Aleña and Oriol Busquets!

Oriol Busquets I agree mate but that's further down the line for the future but Aleña I would say is more of a Rakitić than a Busy... It's a complicated issue to be honest because letting De Jong go somewhere else would be a big loss for Barça.

On 22/07/2018 at 09:10, SirBalon said:

Oriol Busquets I agree mate but that's further down the line for the future but Aleña I would say is more of a Rakitić than a Busy... It's a complicated issue to be honest because letting De Jong go somewhere else would be a big loss for Barça.

I know they are different mate but it seems as though the club are in the market for every type of midfielder possible and if you ask me, that is now an area that needs strengthening the least right now.

Then again, it's defence minded midfielders that seem to be linked a lot less to the club so this is one of the ones which probably would make sense.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived